Trending Games | The Crew | Elder Scrolls Online | Lichdom: Battlemage | Landmark

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,847,076 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,222,415
Runic Games | Official Site
Action RPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 09/20/12)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Torchlight Forum » General Discussion » Shouldn't this be

9 posts found
  kakarotrage

Novice Member

OP  5/30/09 6:29:43 PM#1

in "Games in Development"?

World of Warcraft is a proof that MMORPG quality should affect schedule/budget and not the other way around.

Stizzled

Tipster

Kill Your Heroes

5/30/09 8:11:49 PM#2

?  Status: Development

Only thing that needs to change is the est. release, Q4 2009 is for the singleplayer version, with the MMO following around 18 months later.

apocalance

Novice Member

Who is John Galt?

9/15/09 10:26:32 PM#3

Torchlight actually isn't an MMO, so I'm not sure why it's being listed here.. not that I mind because now I know about it. /shrug

so...

Stizzled

Tipster

Kill Your Heroes

9/16/09 9:34:01 AM#4

Well, actually Torchlight is an MMO. The single-player version is about to release in Oct., but the MMO has been in development alongside the single-player for a while now, and is set to release 12-18 months after the single-player. Though, as quickly as they put the single-player together, I wouln't be suprised to see the MMO launch in Q3 or early Q4 2010.

Fadedbomb

Spotlight Poster

9/16/09 9:41:53 AM#5

Torchlight is NOT currently considered an MMO, by the market or otherwise. It's similar to Diablo2 in it's "multiplayer" aspects & abilities.

On a side note: I'd like to meet the person in charge of MMORPG's MMO listings, as they need to take a class on reading & forming a proper opinion on what genre a game really is.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Stizzled

Tipster

Kill Your Heroes

9/16/09 4:05:01 PM#6

What multiplayer aspects and abilities? Torchlight will not have any sort of multiplayer. However, none of that changes the fact that a Torchlight MMO has been announced and is in development.

apocalance

Novice Member

Who is John Galt?

9/17/09 10:54:15 PM#7

Actually, the video interview I read said that torchlight was simply their way of testing out the tools and getting a game out there. They plan on having different classes and a different game for the MMO. It was one of the videos linked from this site I believe. I could be mistaken, it's been a couple of days, but that's the way I remember it. Please fact check this.

so...

Stizzled

Tipster

Kill Your Heroes

9/18/09 9:53:47 AM#8

Yep, the single-player is just Runic's way of blowing off some Mythos steam, they never got to release the game they worked so hard on, so they are pushing Torchlight out a.s.a.p.. I've heard people say that the single-player is thier way to grab some quick cash for developing the MMO, but I remember reading an interview that said the sales from the single-player would not effect the MMO as it is being completely financed by their publisher, Perfect World. I think the only info available about the MMO at this time is a FAQ on Perfect World's website and an interview or two. But, it is being developed as we speak, although i'm sure that it has moved to the back burner for now while they prepare for the single-player launch.

We might start hearing more about the MMO beginning of next year, or atleast I hope so. I'm pretty excited about this game, the team behind it more than speaks to the quality we can expect, and if they can re-capture the mystique that somehow made Mythos so fun, they have a winner, and my business... just hope they dont screw the cash shop up. Always room for a Hack 'n' Slash AMMORPG in the market. Even with D3 on the way I find myself strangely not caring about it, I waited for years to hear about D3, but after hearing about Torchlight and the MMO to follow, I don't know, it just seems more interresting.

I'm curious to see what the old masterminds behind D1 and D2 have up their sleeves. Even though its been said that they are not trying to directly compete with D3, they have to be a little sour seeing someone else developing their IP. Personally I hope they do try and compete, the single-player has no chance at outshinning D3, but the MMO may just have a shot.

Needlehawk

Novice Member

9/23/09 4:23:21 PM#9
Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Torchlight is NOT currently considered an MMO, by the market or otherwise. It's similar to Diablo2 in it's "multiplayer" aspects & abilities.

On a side note: I'd like to meet the person in charge of MMORPG's MMO listings, as they need to take a class on reading & forming a proper opinion on what genre a game really is.

Um, the game that is being released in October is not multiplayer at all. It is a single player game. The MMO that is being developed, and scheduled to being released in 18 months or so IS a true MMO, with a persistent overworld. It will be set in the same world as the single player game. It is not a D2 or GW type game existing entirely of hub town(s) and instances.

So yes, Torchlight does belong here, although there seems to be confusion about the single player game being released and the MMO coming out in a few years.