Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Pirate101 | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,900,645 Users Online:0
Games:752  Posts:6,270,246
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

6 posts found
  HeraklesT

Novice Member

OP  9/01/03 11:09:54 PM#1

Hi,

I've been playing mmos for a few years now and i have enjoyed a few different games. Recently i have been playing SWG, i have enjoyed it alot as i have been playing a weaponsmith, and a PA leader. I do not normally go for a crafting class so it has been fun. However i chose this class because i knew the SWG fighting would not be for me.

The fact that you max out your skills points and then have nowhere to go, really puts me off. I realise there are pets, faction perks etc, however essentially if someone takes the same skill trees as me, we end up being exactly the same.

The game i played before this was very different, Myth of Soma, in this game you constantly become stronger, according to how hard you train. Now i realise many people don't like this kind of grinding in a game, however i enjoy the competitive element of a game, and like that if i work hard i can be better than anyone. I also enjoy the prospect of getting extremely rare loot, as it adds alot of eximent to a game, this is also missing from star wars.

So my question is, what mmorpg should i go for? What will meet my requirements. I realise that modern mmos are trying to get away from this type of play style, and will most likely all be much like SWG. Is there anything coming out that will be what i am looking for? I have had a brief look at dragon empires, warcraft worlds, final fantasy 11 etc. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Djin

Apprentice Member

"Shall we play a game?"

9/02/03 7:27:50 AM#2

I would suggest taking a stroll though our Game List and checking out our 100+ games we have information on.

I understand what you're getting at,  maxing skills is never fun,  but I thought that in SWG you could sell back your skills and go down another path.  Why don't you try to become a Jedi Master?  I was reading about this yesterday and it sounds pretty neat,  you can build your own light saber,  and do things that you see in the movies (block blaster shots, etc).

I've heard a lot of good reviews for SWG and I thought it wasn't a game where you can max skills...  I could be wrong.  As for your selection of games,  there's a few to keep an eye on.

World of Warcraft
Lineage II
EverQuest II
Dragons Empire
Horizons
FF XI

I believe there's a few more,  but those are some I can remember off the top of my head.  A lot of people on this site are waiting for most of what I said. . .  these seem to be the better ones coming out.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
E.T. is alive...
MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?

HeraklesT

Novice Member

OP  9/02/03 9:05:15 AM#3

There is very much a skill cap on swg. Working hard for a skill and then giving it up and losing the ability to do it is certainly not my idea of an open ended system.

Thanks for the tips on other games though.

redtiger

Novice Member

9/02/03 12:26:00 PM#4
This new wave of games looks pretty interesting. Is there anyone beta-testing these that can shed some light on how they play?

Djin

Apprentice Member

"Shall we play a game?"

9/02/03 1:08:36 PM#5
I think you need to be in the right place at the right time to get in a BETA that's new.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
E.T. is alive...
MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?

neeela

Novice Member

9/02/03 1:47:50 PM#6
I'm going to ditto on the Game List - MMORPG.com's list of games made me decide what to play now (SWG) and later (Horizons, when it comes out).