Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | Star Wars: The Old Republic | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,643,023 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,076,775
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Combat - means to an end or the end itself

2 posts found
  CBee

Novice Member

OP  7/01/13 5:19:42 PM#1

Hello fellow players.

I'd like to open discussion about a 'trend' in MMORPG's and why not other games too, that has been bothering me quite a while. Im talking about combat and it's role in game play.

During years of dragging my feet through various MMO titles I have often found myself wondering "Is this it?" "Is this everything this game has to offer?". Somehow I feel that modern MMORPG's have nothing else to offer but combat. Kill a rabbit or ten to reach next level. Kill the final boss to complete dungeon. It seems to me that everything in MMORPG's is built around combat and fighting all sorts of furry things (including fellow players from other factions) is the core of game design.

This raises a question: Should combat be the core of the whole game play or just one of the ways to reach a certain objective in game world? Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying theres anything wrong with hammering down an ogre or two when the situation calls for it. However, wouldnt it be interesting to lure a dragon away from that door with a bait and slip past it while it's distracted? Im left with slightly hollow gaming experience when my only two options are to fight or not fight a mob in game world. Why arent there other ways to interract with my surroundings? Where are the options?

Maybe Im just jaded, bitter veteran and theres no pleasing me. There are probably tons of players out there who still enjoy the endless killingspree that MMORPG's seem to be and I dont think any less of them. Maybe this isnt even an issue for majority or players... I wouldnt know since I can only speak from my own experience.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

7/02/13 3:16:44 PM#2

Yes, combat is the core because of human's need for violence. It is not just MMO. Most games are combat centric.

Everything else is just dressing to give you some fluff reason to kill stuff.

Even stealth (with hacking like that in Deus Ex), a gameplay style that i like very much, is a form of combat.

In fact, personally, when i evaluate a MMO, the combat comes first. If the combat is not fun, i am not playing the game (since that is what i spend most of my time on).