Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | Heroes of the Storm | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,643,940 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,077,601
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Last time you felt real emotion/anxiety/adrenaline?

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
89 posts found
  Sovrath

Elite Member

6/30/13 11:24:36 AM#61
Originally posted by craftseeker

Firstly I have never had the experience you had.  I have never ganked another player and would not. 

Yeah I don't really do that either. I just never got it.

Unless I have an actual reason for killing the player (we are at war, he got me before I got one of my clan members) then I just don't feel the need.

Also, I"m not really into the whole adrenaline thing at all and certainly don't want anxiety.

I think that's why there is a schism between some players as some like this and some don't and neither seems to understand the other side.

LacedOpium

Apprentice Member

6/30/13 11:31:24 AM#62
Originally posted by Tierless

Isn't it a bit ironic to claim you don't get emotionally vested in an MMO while being emotional about me ganking someone in a FFA PVP MMO? That seems a bit contradictory. Have you ever PVPed, or better yet, played an FPS? I have a sneaking suspicion you have played an FPS at some point or another. Did you kill other characters in that game? By your logic that would make you a psycopath.

When you decide to play a game like DF you accept you WILL be on the losing end of that situation many times. It's part of why we play those games, the constant threat is exciting. Risking everything your carrying every time you step out is exciting. Your statements and lash back about killing a character in a FFA PVP game make me believe you have trouble differentiating between real life and video games which I find far scarier thank a gank.

I was emotional because I wasn't good at PVP and the only reason I found him was that I was running for my life. I saw him, saw he was near death and attempted to take advantage of the situation just like 99% of other FFA PVP players would.

It was my first kill in DF and it was intense, not because I was murdering an avater, but because I knew the other players would be coming along behind me shortly. On top of that the mobs in that area were nearly 2 shotting me. On top of that (judging by his gear and him mauling 3 mobs at once) he was WAY WAY more powerful than I was. He probably would have 1 shot me had he gotten the chance. On top of that I had to snag his loot because it was all upgrade stuff for me (as a scrub it was like the lottery, I even got a 2nd mount!) before the people chasing me arrived and mauled me. They did appear on the horizon and I had to mount up and run away again, the entire time fearing I would lose my life and loot before I could get to the bank. It was literally a 20min run and I dodged arrows the entire time while they were msging me saying I would regret not letting them get me now and that they would make it worse for me later if I didn't stop (they may in fact have been psychopaths)!

All that risk and I accomplished my first DF victory and got great loot in the process! There was a lot more to it than ganking. Ganking doesn't excite me. Beating a higher level player with great gear that you obtain, yeah that's pretty exciting for most MMO players with a pulse. In fact, showing no emotion in that situation might mean your a psychopath, because most psychopaths DONT FEEL OR SHOW EMOTIONs in those situations.

You can pretend that you don't get excited about things like getting an epic loot drop in an MMO. Maybe it's "cooler" to pretend you are a robot that doesn't get excited about entertainment but I have a suspicion that you do get excited in games, that you do have fun, if you didn't you wouldn't play them. Emotion and entertainment are linked. If you had no emotion, if you had no care for the entertainment, it wouldn't be entertaining would it?

I will agree with you that players that play MMOs just to gank, and gankers that do it compulsively probably do have some stability issues. Like I said, I love PVP despite not being good at it, and can't tell you how creepy I thought it was being corpse camped for DAYS, or going to the same road and finding the same ganker there every day for months. That is just creepy lol.

Attempting to rationalize the "hardcore" PvP mindset to a PvEer is futile, Tierless.  The "hardcore" PvP mindset and the PvE mindset are two different animals all together.  This much is clearly evident while reading through the different reactions from both camps in every thread involving PvE vs PvP.  While I PvP quite often and understand the PvP mentality, I also understand why PvEers feel the way they do. 

The differences are quite deep and complicated and can not be explained away in the simple constructs of a forum thread.  Although it would be an interesting read indeed.  It is simply a matter of differences in psychological perspectives of behavior.  And as much as many would like to trivialize it by claiming it is just a game, to many it is something deeper that can not be easily dismissed with that excuse. 

It just is.

User Deleted
6/30/13 11:32:13 AM#63

Real emotion?

Every time I play an MMO and have to deal with some elitist douche who thinks he's hardcore because he can spell the word.

The emotion is hate and I'd love to be able to reach though the screen and throttle the little fucker until he tuns blue.

Tierless

Advanced Member

joie de vivre

OP  6/30/13 11:37:32 AM#64

I remembered another one. In DF my 3 friends and I were out killing NPCs for resources when a group of 15 players from one of the most feared guilds descended upon us. We mounted up and tried to run away but they managed to cut off one of us. They surrounded him and started to toy with him. Meanwhile I doubled back (despite it being a risky move) because I wanted to lead them get any chaser to follow me and save my 2 remaining friends.

In vent the friend they were toying with says "they are off their mounts and just messing with me and purposely not killing me, I think you could sneak up and take the rhino mount (that being the best mount at that time).

I used brush and trees (no stealth remember) snuck up, grabbed the rhino and took off! They quickly mounted up and started chasing me. My chat log was full of threats but I didn't care.

The chase lasted literally 30 minutes or more. They tried to route me a few times. They would dissmount and shoot at me. I had several close calls but managed to dodge well.

They finally trapped me (my back to the water) a few hundred yards from my main city and we had a stand off. Then the message came in.

"I will kill the mount before I let you take it, and if it dies you die, so you have 1 choice, take this regular mount and run away with it, or you and that mount die." I negotiated a bit to make sure it wasn't a set up. I decided it was my best option. We approached one another, it was very tense as I wondered what he was really going to do, we jumped off our mounts, I remounted, and he promptly started to swing at me as his guildies rushed forward. I rode into the water and headed straight out for the middle of the ocean while dodging all manner of projectile and another message came in "were sick of wasting time on you but your on our list"

I got away, barely. The way I am I woulda let me go out of respect, I thought I earned it, but oh well. Not everyone respects good play as much as I do I guess.

mmorpg.com/blogs/Xobdnas

Tierless

Advanced Member

joie de vivre

OP  6/30/13 11:41:36 AM#65

@LacedOpium nicely said sir /respect

mmorpg.com/blogs/Xobdnas

Stizzled

Gumshoe

Kill Your Heroes

6/30/13 11:50:34 AM#66

The only time I can remember feeling any kind of emotion is playing Haven and Hearth.

Some years ago, my brother and I had joined up with a small village of people, there was maybe 10 or 12 of us in total. We had been playing together for months and built a respectable town. We never really had much reason to fear other players, we traded quite often with local hermits and were generally helpful and friendly. We assumed that we were the superpower within our area.

That all ended one morning. I logged in to frantic chat, people freaking out, cursing, yelling. I didn't even have enough time to finish my first chat message before the first one showed up, then another and another. It was a hard thing, to be knocked to the ground and made to watch as they took everything. I was repeatedly knocked out as they stole my crops, my food, leather, metals, weapons and armor. They then went about chopping my trees, destroying my well, mineshaft, mansion, storehouses and every last section of wall.

It was a truly sickening experience, to be made to watch as they raped everything that my village had worked for over the last several months. They destroyed our entire town. We never did know just how many of them there were.

They didn't kill us however, once it was over they left. I can remember, before the last one left, he threw down one of my crates and in it he placed an apple, a flax seed and 5 branches. Once he had done that he simply said "GL" and walked off.

That's probably the only story of emotion that I have from an MMO. Of course, the story doesn't end there. The better story is what we did when we finally found out who they were, and where they lived. They should have killed us, it was a mistake they came to regret.

TheJoda

Novice Member

"Yes...... that's a Duck Staff of D00M!!!"

6/30/13 11:54:16 AM#67
Killing emperior ssra in eq. Was a big fight with multiple.parts.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

MyownGod

Advanced Member

6/30/13 12:06:36 PM#68
Originally posted by Electro057
Originally posted by redcapp

I cannot relate, what you're looking for seems more like cowardice or maybe some form of derangement or psychopathy?

Seriously?  Feeling emotion = derangement or psychopathy?  Get the hell over yourself, wow.

Well I was referencing more the feeling excitement cause you killed somebody. Most the time that's not healthy. Also elation at killing someone who was disadvantaged, fighting some other force, preoccupied....Seems a bit like cowardice. 

And I can't relate to the sensation that he explained, generally if I cause another person suffering...even in a game...I feel remorse. I prefer co-operative play. *shrug*

"The poor guy was in deep knees" He was being empathatic for the guy, but in sandbox mmo like Darkfall, its based on the law of the jungle. It's really kill or be killed, he had the chance, and he took it. This guy was fighting against a mob that can 1 hit KO him, but he went in and win. My friend, that is not cowardice, all I see is a risk taker and that is bravery.

Whilst you seek shelter in a world where there is no such thing as "life risking", the only thing is you die and you respawn back, whilst in darkfall you die, you'll lose all your stuff. Haven't you hide behind the safety in life called "the law" enough? He obviously play games to seek out different experiences, different rushes, as a gate away from the oppression in reality, not to re-live it. That is the idea of sandbox "Do what ever you want, make your own story" in this case, it's his story.

MyownGod

Advanced Member

6/30/13 12:10:34 PM#69
Originally posted by Stizzled

The only time I can remember feeling any kind of emotion is playing Haven and Hearth.

Some years ago, my brother and I had joined up with a small village of people, there was maybe 10 or 12 of us in total. We had been playing together for months and built a respectable town. We never really had much reason to fear other players, we traded quite often with local hermits and were generally helpful and friendly. We assumed that we were the superpower within our area.

That all ended one morning. I logged in to frantic chat, people freaking out, cursing, yelling. I didn't even have enough time to finish my first chat message before the first one showed up, then another and another. It was a hard thing, to be knocked to the ground and made to watch as they took everything. I was repeatedly knocked out as they stole my crops, my food, leather, metals, weapons and armor. They then went about chopping my trees, destroying my well, mineshaft, mansion, storehouses and every last section of wall.

It was a truly sickening experience, to be made to watch as they raped everything that my village had worked for over the last several months. They destroyed our entire town. We never did know just how many of them there were.

They didn't kill us however, once it was over they left. I can remember, before the last one left, he threw down one of my crates and in it he placed an apple, a flax seed and 5 branches. Once he had done that he simply said "GL" and walked off.

That's probably the only story of emotion that I have from an MMO. Of course, the story doesn't end there. The better story is what we did when we finally found out who they were, and where they lived. They should have killed us, it was a mistake they came to regret.

Holy shit!! That is awesome, rather cool. I'm playing it now and looking for a village to join in :P Quite sickening but damn!! To witness such an event, that you don't see in most of mmos.

VengeSunsoar

Elite Member

Be Brief, Be Bright... Be Gone.

6/30/13 1:08:24 PM#70
Originally posted by Tierless

When was the last time MMO you felt any of the above in an MMO? Mine would be Darkfall original. My first gank. Poor guy was knee deep in mobs when I happened upon him. I was such a lowb I had to use my mount to kill him, which I did. Then I had to run away as the mobs were nearly 1 shotting me. I had to run to the corpse, loot a bit, run away, heal, repeat 5 or 6 times. The entire time I kept thinking "oh god he is coming back to get me". It was intense, like so much in that game. I miss that in MMOs.

Never have.  Have really only ever experienced satiety, pleasure or irritation from gaming. 

Quit worrying about other players in a game and just play.

Theocritus

Apprentice Member

6/30/13 1:11:53 PM#71
My first long distance run in EQ is what I remember most.....Think I was about level 6 or so and needed to go across a zone to get to a different city.....This was back when there were no maps and my sense direction wasnt high enough to be any help......It was quite a thrill....Once MMOs removed any kind of death penalty though I have never had that fear again.
  Electro057

Advanced Member

6/30/13 3:42:10 PM#72

I'll admit that I was very wrong and biased in claiming that PvP seems to be tailored towards sadists/sociopaths/psychopaths and that was more just me being unreasonably snarky.

Also I don't believe that violence in games equates or is in any way comparable to that in real life, however...I still wouldn't ever personally gank or attack another player, and haven't to this day. Despite having played MMOs since Anarchy Online's release. I've never experienced that thrill, and when presented with the option it was unappealing because I thought of how I'd feel in the other person's shoes....Which is disgruntled or at the most inconvenienced. And I thought that it'd be unkind of me to do such....Basically I wouldn't want it to happen to me, so I've not done it to others.

Anyways I shouldn't have been so extreme in my posts and I apologize to the OP and those that took it as a personal slight. 

--Custom Rig: Maker's Forge---
3.0 Ghz AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor (Six Cores, 3.0 Ghz Each)
8 Gigs DDR3
Radeon HD 6990 4 gigs of dedicated ram.
Windows 7 Ultimate

Kazuhiro

Novice Member

6/30/13 4:24:30 PM#73

I've only ever had two occasions where I literally felt nervous/excited/on edge in a mmo ever.

First one was in Eve Online when I purchased my first Aeon Mothership and had to move it a massive distance using only an alt for backup. And also one time when I moved a freighter through 3 lowsec gates on the edge of highsec with zero backup and containing half my assets.

Second one was in Perpetuum, when our corporation with only 20 people online had to defend our island against a 150 man mega blob at 3am in the morning. And we absolutely crushed all 150 of them after a 6 hour battle, and only lost four guys. This was also one of my thee best moments in any mmo. It was a freaking party in game chat and voice for an hour after it. Even the developers of the game got on and joined in. And the 150 man blob alliance disbanded soon after that fight.

JeroKane: In TSW your gear has NO stats whatsoever! But only via trinkets and talismans.

Myself: Please, stop posting, I can't breath I'm laughing so hard at that statement.

Squeak69

Apprentice Member

cheese cheese wheres da bloody cheese

6/30/13 4:52:45 PM#74

I have felt curiosity, pleasure and  announce at being ganked, but not really any of the thing you listed.

your going to have to dip into my JRPG gaming list to get emotions out of me.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used to
Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

Chrisbox

Advanced Member

6/30/13 6:12:21 PM#75

The last time? Playing DFUW at launch when we got ambushed by like 30-40 people and beat them.  

First time- EVE in caldari faction warfare a long time ago, I had just gotten a rupture cruiser and a massive battle was commencing everything you could imagine was on field frigs, battleships, cruisers, logi, faction ships.  I survived the entire thing with my cruiser, awesome experience.  

Played-Everything
Playing-WoW
Want:Destiny, WoD

Loktofeit

Hard Core Member

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, ESO, and Combat Arms

6/30/13 7:51:33 PM#76

I cannot relate, what you're looking for seems more like cowardice or maybe some form of derangement or psychopathy?

Seriously?  Feeling emotion = derangement or psychopathy?  Get the hell over yourself, wow.

Well I was referencing more the feeling excitement cause you killed somebody.

I don't know the OP, but I'd say - based on the scenario he presented and having been in similar ones in full loot PVP games - that it is more likely the risk and reward involved in that whole scenario.

• The risk of taking on a situation where the odds are against him, knowing he loses what he's carrying if he fails.
  • The rush of accomplishing the task, but still knee deep in danger, where all he has gained could be lost if the mobs catch him.
  • The reward of having achieved the objective and getting out alive.

When I PK'd in UO, I played a character that had the woods as her home. No house, no storage of items beyond what the character carried. At the time there was skill loss on death for PKs, so not only was I risking everything I had, but I was also putting 33% of my stats and skills on the line in each battle. For me, the rush wasn't "I killed someone" because *I* didn't kill anyone and no one died. The rush was the result of knowing that each battle was going to be everything or nothing. The rush was in things like overcoming a 3 on 1 ambush, escaping a battle with a single hp left, or simply hiding in the forest while the search team (almost always unsuccessfully) scoured the area for me.

"Risking everything your carrying every time you step out is exciting." - Tierless

That sums it up.

Tierless

Advanced Member

joie de vivre

OP  6/30/13 8:19:35 PM#77

Originally posted by ucidaitaci

Originally posted by Electro057 I cannot relate, what you're looking for seems more like cowardice or maybe some form of derangement or psychopathy?
Well I was referencing more the feeling excitement cause you killed somebody. Most the time that's not healthy. Also elation at killing someone who was disadvantaged, fighting some other force, preoccupied....Seems a bit like cowardice.  And I can't relate to the sensation that he explained, generally if I cause another person suffering...even in a game...I feel remorse. I prefer co-operative play. *shrug*
"The poor guy was in deep knees" He was being empathatic for the guy, but in sandbox mmo like Darkfall, its based on the law of the jungle. It's really kill or be killed, he had the chance, and he took it. This guy was fighting against a mob that can 1 hit KO him, but he went in and win. My friend, that is not cowardice, all I see is a risk taker and that is bravery.

Whilst you seek shelter in a world where there is no such thing as "life risking", the only thing is you die and you respawn back, whilst in darkfall you die, you'll lose all your stuff. Haven't you hide behind the safety in life called "the law" enough? He obviously play games to seek out different experiences, different rushes, as a gate away from the oppression in reality, not to re-live it. That is the idea of sandbox "Do what ever you want, make your own story" in this case, it's his story.

I think I just gave my first ever standing ovation for a forum post. You sir "get it".

mmorpg.com/blogs/Xobdnas

Tierless

Advanced Member

joie de vivre

OP  6/30/13 8:21:51 PM#78

I'll admit that I was very wrong and biased in claiming that PvP seems to be tailored towards sadists/sociopaths/psychopaths and that was more just me being unreasonably snarky.

Also I don't believe that violence in games equates or is in any way comparable to that in real life, however...I still wouldn't ever personally gank or attack another player, and haven't to this day. Despite having played MMOs since Anarchy Online's release. I've never experienced that thrill, and when presented with the option it was unappealing because I thought of how I'd feel in the other person's shoes....Which is disgruntled or at the most inconvenienced. And I thought that it'd be unkind of me to do such....Basically I wouldn't want it to happen to me, so I've not done it to others.

Anyways I shouldn't have been so extreme in my posts and I apologize to the OP and those that took it as a personal slight. 

My second standing ovation to a forum post! /respect to you sir. Well said.

mmorpg.com/blogs/Xobdnas

Electro057

Advanced Member

6/30/13 8:24:38 PM#79
Originally posted by Loktofeit

I don't know the OP, but I'd say - based on the scenario he presented and having been in similar ones in full loot PVP games - that it is more likely the risk and reward involved in that whole scenario.

• The risk of taking on a situation where the odds are against him, knowing he loses what he's carrying if he fails.
  • The rush of accomplishing the task, but still knee deep in danger, where all he has gained could be lost if the mobs catch him.
  • The reward of having achieved the objective and getting out alive.

When I PK'd in UO, I played a character that had the woods as her home. No house, no storage of items beyond what the character carried. At the time there was skill loss on death for PKs, so not only was I risking everything I had, but I was also putting 33% of my stats and skills on the line in each battle. For me, the rush wasn't "I killed someone" because *I* didn't kill anyone and no one died. The rush was the result of knowing that each battle was going to be everything or nothing. The rush was in things like overcoming a 3 on 1 ambush, escaping a battle with a single hp left, or simply hiding in the forest while the search team (almost always unsuccessfully) scoured the area for me.

"Risking everything your carrying every time you step out is exciting." - Tierless

That sums it up.

Hmmmnnn, maybe it's because I've never experienced that sort of gameplay then, I just don't see the value or appeal in it. I get elation and feeling intense emotions when a group of your friends overcome something great in the game, like a raid boss or some challenge. So I can understand emotion in a game when you achieve something, or a great piece of new gear, or even when you complete a long and complex story arc in RP. 

And I understand that the violence is virtual and not directed at the person but between two characters, but their death and stealing their stuff does disadvantage them....So I see it as something I'd rather not do to somebody....I'd rather try to co-operate, use teamwork, try to better both parties.

Maybe I should try to take on a new aspect of MMOs, I've never really PvP'd professionally or even focused on it. I guess I'm missing a large part of the gameplay perspective.  

--Custom Rig: Maker's Forge---
3.0 Ghz AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor (Six Cores, 3.0 Ghz Each)
8 Gigs DDR3
Radeon HD 6990 4 gigs of dedicated ram.
Windows 7 Ultimate

Tierless

Advanced Member

joie de vivre

OP  6/30/13 8:50:41 PM#80

Originally posted by Loktofeit I don't know the OP, but I'd say - based on the scenario he presented and having been in similar ones in full loot PVP games - that it is more likely the risk and reward involved in that whole scenario.
  • The rush of accomplishing the task, but still knee deep in danger, where all he has gained could be lost if the mobs catch him. The reward of having achieved the objective and getting out alive.
When I PK'd in UO, I played a character that had the woods as her home. No house, no storage of items beyond what the character carried. At the time there was skill loss on death for PKs, so not only was I risking everything I had, but I was also putting 33% of my stats and skills on the line in each battle. For me, the rush wasn't "I killed someone" because *I* didn't kill anyone and no one died. The rush was the result of knowing that each battle was going to be everything or nothing. The rush was in things like overcoming a 3 on 1 ambush, escaping a battle with a single hp left, or simply hiding in the forest while the search team (almost always unsuccessfully) scoured the area for me.   "Risking everything your carrying every time you step out is exciting." - Tierless That sums it up.
Hmmmnnn, maybe it's because I've never experienced that sort of gameplay then, I just don't see the value or appeal in it. I get elation and feeling intense emotions when a group of your friends overcome something great in the game, like a raid boss or some challenge. So I can understand emotion in a game when you achieve something, or a great piece of new gear, or even when you complete a long and complex story arc in RP. 

And I understand that the violence is virtual and not directed at the person but between two characters, but their death and stealing their stuff does disadvantage them....So I see it as something I'd rather not do to somebody....I'd rather try to co-operate, use teamwork, try to better both parties.

Maybe I should try to take on a new aspect of MMOs, I've never really PvP'd professionally or even focused on it. I guess I'm missing a large part of the gameplay perspective.  

FFA PVP is truly something you can't entirely grasp until you experience it. Once you do you understand why so many things take on so much meaning. Why you feel elation just from traveling from a to b carrying important gear and not getting killed. Why it means something to beat someone that should destroy you and why a simple thing like escaping doom by running away for 20 minutes becomes the MMO highlight of your day hehe.

mmorpg.com/blogs/Xobdnas

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search