Trending Games | The Crew | Landmark | Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,850,669 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,224,021
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Last time you felt real emotion/anxiety/adrenaline?

5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
89 posts found
  Tierless

Advanced Member

joie de vivre

OP  6/30/13 12:16:34 AM#1

When was the last time MMO you felt any of the above in an MMO? Mine would be Darkfall original. My first gank. Poor guy was knee deep in mobs when I happened upon him. I was such a lowb I had to use my mount to kill him, which I did. Then I had to run away as the mobs were nearly 1 shotting me. I had to run to the corpse, loot a bit, run away, heal, repeat 5 or 6 times. The entire time I kept thinking "oh god he is coming back to get me". It was intense, like so much in that game. I miss that in MMOs.

mmorpg.com/blogs/Xobdnas

Electro057

Novice Member

6/30/13 12:22:49 AM#2

I cannot relate, what you're looking for seems more like cowardice or maybe some form of derangement or psychopathy? 

However when my friend and I were exploring and helping each other level, and we were learning about WoW for the first time back in 2006...I felt wonder, a sense of granduer, adventure...I was excited, and I was sharing this awesome adventure with my best friend. There was a sense of companionship there, closeness..A general awe and happiness. Positive emotions, things I like...

--Custom Rig: Maker's Forge---
3.0 Ghz AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor (Six Cores, 3.0 Ghz Each)
8 Gigs DDR3
Radeon HD 6990 4 gigs of dedicated ram.
Windows 7 Ultimate

gaeanprayer

Novice Member

6/30/13 12:24:49 AM#3
Can't say I've ever experienced any of those emotions while playing a video game, seeing as it's yanno...just a video game. There were a few times where the story was written well enough to tug on the heart strings a bit, but nothing particularly profound.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

waynejr2

Elite Member

RIP City of Heroes!

6/30/13 12:26:02 AM#4
I don't grok these emo needs.  I do want fun but the other stuff...not so much.  Then again I have gone through a lot in real life so video games just don't have much rush in them.
  Shadowguy64

Novice Member

6/30/13 12:31:13 AM#5

My last time?

When I was on my female shadow priest and some dude wanted to cyborz.... 

redcapp

Novice Member

6/30/13 12:35:25 AM#6
Originally posted by Electro057

I cannot relate, what you're looking for seems more like cowardice or maybe some form of derangement or psychopathy?

Seriously?  Feeling emotion = derangement or psychopathy?  Get the hell over yourself, wow.

Electro057

Novice Member

6/30/13 12:48:49 AM#7
Originally posted by redcapp

Seriously?  Feeling emotion = derangement or psychopathy?  Get the hell over yourself, wow.

Well I was referencing more the feeling excitement cause you killed somebody. Most the time that's not healthy. Also elation at killing someone who was disadvantaged, fighting some other force, preoccupied....Seems a bit like cowardice. 

And I can't relate to the sensation that he explained, generally if I cause another person suffering...even in a game...I feel remorse. I prefer co-operative play. *shrug*

--Custom Rig: Maker's Forge---
3.0 Ghz AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor (Six Cores, 3.0 Ghz Each)
8 Gigs DDR3
Radeon HD 6990 4 gigs of dedicated ram.
Windows 7 Ultimate

craftseeker

Advanced Member

6/30/13 12:52:18 AM#8
Originally posted by Tierless

When was the last time MMO you felt any of the above in an MMO? Min would be Darkfall original. My first gank. Poor guy was knee deep in mobs when I happened upon him. I was such a lowb I had to use my mount to kill him, which I did. Than I had to run away as the mobs were nearly 1 shotting me. I had to run to the corpse, loot a bit, run away, heal, repeat 5 or 6 times. The entire time I kept thinking "oh god he is coming back to get me". It was intense, like so much in that game. I miss that in MMOs.

Firstly I have never had the experience you had.  I have never ganked another player and would not. 

Speaking as someone who has been ganked while fighting a group of mobs and all I felt is "what a dildo".

VicodinTaco

Advanced Member

6/30/13 1:01:05 AM#9
Playing Dark Souls
  redcapp

Novice Member

6/30/13 1:29:54 AM#10
Originally posted by redcapp

Well I was referencing more the feeling excitement cause you killed somebody. Most the time that's not healthy. Also elation at killing someone who was disadvantaged, fighting some other force, preoccupied....Seems a bit like cowardice. 

And I can't relate to the sensation that he explained, generally if I cause another person suffering...even in a game...I feel remorse. I prefer co-operative play. *shrug*

Yeah, maybe he's a sociopath.  Or maybe you need to take some time to learn to distinguish between real life, where violence is real, and video games, where people choose to play in harsh alter-realities because it is a fun escape for all parties. 

Seems a bit unsympathetic to compare video game violence to that of the real world when considering the perspective of actual victims of said violence. 

And as for the OP, it's not exactly a stretch to have a bit of an adrenaline rush when you're on your toes because you know you could lose your loot at any second.  That's the friggin point of an FFA PvP game.  That's why it's fun.  That's why it's not indicative of psychopathy to engage in PvP in games like Darkfall where everyone is there specifically to engage in PvP, FFS. 

bcbully

Elite Member

6/30/13 1:35:17 AM#11

Age of Wushu.

Script stealing. The first time I got a script. I made a post about it. I'll link in a second. Heart pounding stuff, literally.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/373725/AoW-Script-stealing-My-goodness-that-stuffs-intense.html

I'm in the clear.

Not quite. I hear some swords clanging down the hill where I was going to run. *stay calm* I ran back around the wall and let the fighting die out. Down the hill I went. All I have to do know is jump down this 150 meter water fall *stay calm*. I [Jumped Across the Clouds] out over the lake at the bottom. After a leg kicking, arm flailing 5 sec fall, splash! At the bottom. Ummm, why do I see seven or eight other people too? It was a dead end. A big ole moutain enclosed area. Wtf is these !?! I check the map. Guess what? There's a pass! BACK in to the damn school!? *sigh*

When I eat chocolate chip pie it just doesn't feel like chocolate chip cookies. The texture, the consistency, it's just not the same and this is disappointing.

DamonVile

Elite Member

6/30/13 1:36:49 AM#12

The most emotional game I ever played was world of tanks....but that was mostly rage. There were however many moments where you did something that even amazed yourself and won the battle against all odds.

The most connected I ever felt to a story was the sith warrior in SWTOR. I cheered, laughed and ever had jaw dropping moments thinking wow that was awesome. then I got to end game and it was like walking off a cliff.

People are like cats. When they die, you get a new one.

Kuro1n

Novice Member

6/30/13 1:41:56 AM#13
Darkfall, before that olympiad in Lineage 2, before that Tibia. Rarely happens these days and when it happened in Darkfall I was very happy. The thrill of PVP is great. Sadly there arent many games around like that anymore. :(
  rodingo

Elite Member

6/30/13 1:45:15 AM#14

However when my friend and I were exploring and helping each other level, and we were learning about WoW for the first time back in 2006...I felt wonder, a sense of granduer, adventure...I was excited, and I was sharing this awesome adventure with my best friend. There was a sense of companionship there, closeness..A general awe and happiness. Positive emotions, things I like...

I know what you mean about WoW.  I had a similar situation when it first launched.  I dragged 3 of my buddies over from SWG so we could do some, at the time, open world PVP (pre-BGs) done right as far as I was concerned.  We all rolled horde and fought many battles against alliance scrubs constantly hitting X-roads in the Barrens while we were questing through our teen levels.  Eventually when we hit our low 20's we started patrolling into Ashenvale Forest and that is when the beauty that was WoW back then, reared it's head.  I was blown away from the sound design with birds singing from certain directions and bugs humming.  Then the sort of Lord of the Rings music that they play in the movies for the Rivendale scenes started playing and I got chills becuase I was enthralled by the genious environment that Blizzard created, plus with the adrenaline of knowing that we could be ambushed at anytime from some alliance players.  We rode down the road with each of the four of us looking in one of the four cardinal directions constantly scanning for trouble while loving every minute of it.  We were all giddy like school children on Teamspeak that day.

Now a days though I get my adrenaline and emotion in Planetside 2.  Adrenaline when I'm in the middle of an intense firefight and the emotion when some jackass from my team runs me over with a vehicle after I just survived said intense firefight.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Robokapp

Hard Core Member

The only luck I had today was to have you as my opponent.

6/30/13 1:53:38 AM#15

eve while my pod wasburning out of the bubble and I was doubting my selected trajectory.

I have shot enemy pods during that fight so i knew they'd come after me. and they did.

Jagsman32

Advanced Member

6/30/13 2:28:52 AM#16

Don't really feel that in MMOs, but playing Mount & Blade online and fighting large groups of players solo usually gets the adrenaline going.

Jakzy

Advanced Member

6/30/13 2:32:55 AM#17
Good old neverwinter nights, chest rolling and exploring the underworld... the feeling in that game wont ever come around in a mmo again. Than again that might be the fact that I was only a kid with no care about anything else xD

http://forum.gloriavictisgame.com/member.php?action=register&referrer=2457

Boneserino

Elite Member

6/30/13 2:46:27 AM#18

Just a few minutes ago actually.

Playing Fallen Earth.  A team of 3, one clan member and a friend.  We were in a high level area and holed up in a safe spot,venturing out to take on mobs and bosses, never knowing if we would get overwhelmed or not.  Well we did a few times but we managed to battle out of it and save ourselves.  Oh and we did die a few time as well, lol! 

Just great fun working as a cohesive team and and facing tough odds that gave you the satisfaction of helping a fellow player survive! 

Oh , and guess what?

It wasn't PvP !

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

-Zeno-

Novice Member

6/30/13 2:55:05 AM#19
Playing Darkfall Unholy Wars just 10 minutes ago.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

tank017

Novice Member

6/30/13 3:03:54 AM#20

Last time?

Dark Age of Camelot

staying up all night defending my realms precious relics.

5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 » Search