Trending Games | Swordsman | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,736,873 Users Online:0
Games:714  Posts:6,175,729
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Please, tell me why you hate PVP so much. I just don't understand.

28 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
542 posts found
  bcbully

Elite Member

OP  6/26/13 5:13:46 PM#1

It's not like you die IRL. It's a game sometimes you win sometimes you lose.  Is it because -

You lose a lot?

You can't get better?

It's scary?

To much adrenalin? 

It makes you angry?

PvP'rs are mean?

Outside of "I just don't like it" which is not an explanation, this is what I ask myself when I hear someone say "I wish there was no pvp" 

I mean to me PVP is the pinnacle off multiplayer gaming. You test your skills against mine. We use what we found in the world and see if it works. 

Why, please tell me. Maybe developers have done studies and stuff, but I haven't, I really don't get it.

Update - Top reasons

Lack of time

Mean player/ Nasty attitudes 

Not a competitive person

OBSERVATION - Every scenario given by those against PvP involves being the person that gets killed. Check it out for yourself. 

There's some really good stuff in here Thank you to those who are giving their time.

edit- they red text is not meant to demean. It's an observation, a true observation. If we reach the heart of the problem maybe it can be fixed. I made the observation text smaller and changed it back to white from red, for sake of civility.

Underlying Issue -The main cause of resentment seems to be bad game designs, with no risk of punishment for the griefer. In the scenarios given people are getting killed/camped with no recourse, and the camper has no fear of punishment. Who would want that? Come on devs you can do better!

free2play

Advanced Member

6/26/13 5:18:12 PM#2
Nobody hates PvP. People don't like forced PvP. It's a shoddy way to throttle weak PvE content. Having to stop and entertain some jughead when all you logged in to do was chop some trees or farm some hides.
  DamonVile

Elite Member

6/26/13 5:19:03 PM#3

I don't hate pvp, I enjoy it very much...I just don't really like mmo pvp and don't want it to be the focus of what I do when I log into an mmo to play with friends.

My gaming life doesn't revolve around competition and showing I'm better than someone. Sometimes I just want to kick back relax and kill npc things while chatting with friends. That's what I'm looking for in most mmos.

When I want pvp I tend to look for games that aren't based on RNGs and gear grinds for better stats.

People are like cats. When they die, you get a new one.

bcbully

Elite Member

OP  6/26/13 5:20:16 PM#4
Originally posted by free2play
Nobody hates PvP. People don't like forced PvP. It's a shoddy way to throttle weak PvE content. Having to stop and entertain some jughead when all you logged in to do was chop some trees or farm some hides.

Why not beat the guy (or lose) and go about your business. You win some you lose some. YOu can even run, I'm sure there is another node right around the corner. Is it that big of a deal?

AG-Vuk

Advanced Member

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
Oh, I see it's too late to help you.

6/26/13 5:21:07 PM#5
Originally posted by bcbully

It's not like you die IRL. It's a game sometimes you win sometimes you lose.  Is it because -

You lose a lot?   X

You can't get better?  X

It's scary?

To much adrenalin? 

It makes you angry? X

Are people mean to you when you pvp?

Outside of "I just don't like it" which is not an explanation, this is what I ask myself when I hear someone say "I wish there was no pvp" 

I mean to me PVP is the pinnacle off multiplayer gaming. You test your skills against mine. We use what we found in there world and see if it works. 

Why, please tell me. Maybe developers have done studies and stuff, but I haven't, I really don't get it.

What I think it is , is that each game has it's own quirks and tricks. People are egotistical and lazy. They don't want to put the effort in figuring out what and how to improve. They want instance gratification. They want to instantly ( minimal effort ) good and obtain max pleasure. ( victory more then defeat ) People don't want to work hard at figuring out combinations of attacks that proc, or how to min max stats. It too hard or they just don't understand it.

maplestone

Novice Member

6/26/13 5:22:55 PM#6
War itself is the enemy.
  Electro057

Novice Member

6/26/13 5:24:41 PM#7

Why not beat the guy (or lose) and go about your business. You win some you lose some. YOu can even run, I'm sure there is another node right around the corner. 

Well in my experience the guy was a skull or ?? to me and killed me instantly, then kept doing it over and over and I was forced to log out and try again later or another day. And that sucks when I get home from work, have an hour or two to play...And I can't because some player that instakills me is getting his jollies. And a lot of the time you can't run away if they can pull you to them, move swiftly, teleport....Ect ect...And then there are games where if you join late like I did it's as if there are hunting groups out for new players (Darkfall.) And that pretty much gave me no incentive to keep playing.

On the other hand I love fighting with similar level players. But that rarely ever happens...It's usually me on my own in a big empty world surrounded by max level characters. And it blows chunks.

--Custom Rig: Maker's Forge---
3.0 Ghz AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor (Six Cores, 3.0 Ghz Each)
8 Gigs DDR3
Radeon HD 6990 4 gigs of dedicated ram.
Windows 7 Ultimate

WellzyC

Novice Member

Ceaseless

6/26/13 5:24:47 PM#8
Some people get intimidated by it.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, Linear Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

dumpcat

Novice Member

6/26/13 5:25:18 PM#9
Not sure why people hate it but I love it for the rush, especially in open world...even when i'm losing, or getting ganked while leveling...The rush from the payback is fun.
  MMO-Maniac

Advanced Member

6/26/13 5:26:27 PM#10

Why not beat the guy (or lose) and go about your business. You win some you lose some. YOu can even run, I'm sure there is another node right around the corner. Is it that big of a deal?

Problem there is the jughead is usually 20-40 lvls higher than you. And is usually just out gankin'.

I like me some pvp. But Gankfest games are not fun pvp.

bcbully

Elite Member

OP  6/26/13 5:29:24 PM#11
Originally posted by Electro057

Why not beat the guy (or lose) and go about your business. You win some you lose some. YOu can even run, I'm sure there is another node right around the corner. 

Well in my experience the guy was a skull or ?? to me and killed me instantly, then kept doing it over and over and I was forced to log out and try again later or another day. And that sucks when I get home from work, have an hour or two to play...And I can't because some player that instakills me is getting his jollies. And a lot of the time you can't run away if they can pull you to them, move swiftly, teleport....Ect ect...And then there are games where if you join late like I did it's as if there are hunting groups out for new players (Darkfall.) And that pretty much gave me no incentive to keep playing.

On the other hand I love fighting with similar level players. But that rarely ever happens...It's usually me on my own in a big empty world surrounded by max level characters. And it blows chunks.

Those are bad games my friend.

The closet in my 8 years of mmo'ing I've come to what has happened to you, was when a rogue in RIFT was camping a lvl 20 zone. He killed me twice, then I snuck off and continued questing. It lasted a whole 4 minutes.

Bladestrom

Elite Member

6/26/13 5:29:56 PM#12
I hate pvp, I hate getting killed but equally I see no pleasure out of destroying others. In real life I'm pretty risk adverse - all comes down to personalities imo.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW (9500 hrs on main mage)> oblivion > LOTR (480 Hunter) > Rift (230 hours mage) > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(850 elementalist)

Now playing GW2/vanilla wow

Myria

Advanced Member

6/26/13 5:30:00 PM#13

Outside of "I just don't like it" which is not an explanation, [...]

It's the only explanation that matters, whether you like or accept it or not is wholly irrelevant.

Question is, why do you care if other people like it or not?

Sovrath

Elite Member

6/26/13 5:31:14 PM#14

Well I personally like pvp but I can EASILY (didn't you just make a post on critical thinking and that a good amount of people can't do it?) see why people don't like some pvp'ers.

whisperwynd

Apprentice Member

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the priviledge to do so as well.

6/26/13 5:32:12 PM#15

Some will hate it some will love it. The degrees of variation will be numerous in the spectrum. 

What does it really matter what someone likes or dislikes? You may not understand the "why's" for their decisions but we should always respect their opinions as we'd like others to respect ours.

If you can't, then trying to understanding anything is rather pointless as you'll invariably always think you are right.

As for me, I enjoy PvP without the griefing of players 50X stronger than me.

zymurgeist

Elite Member

6/26/13 5:32:25 PM#16
Actually some people do hate PvP. The way you phrased the question isn't going to get you an answer why though. At least not one you can understand.

"Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause" ~Victor Hugo

znaiika

Novice Member

6/26/13 5:33:40 PM#17

I like pvp when it is an option not forced.

PvP bring hacking = I hate hackers.

PvP bring kids with nothing to do just to pvp 24/7 = I play css and other such games for that.

There are no penalty for killing lesser opponent = no challenge = grief....

Some people kill first then ask if help is needed = no civility.

I can go on and on and on.

Electro057

Novice Member

6/26/13 5:36:45 PM#18
Originally posted by Electro057

Those are bad games my friend.

The closet in my 8 years of mmo'ing I've come to what has happened to you, was when a rogue in RIFT was camping a lvl 20 zone. He killed me twice, then I snuck off and continued questing. It lasted a whole 4 minutes.

The same thing would happen most likely in Shadowbane, Xysom, and Mortal Online....If I was repeatedly ganked and corpse camped on games where PvP wasn't FFA and the core mechanic (WoW, Rift) then I can only assume that all FFA PvP games are like Darkfall. And that's why I dislike it really...I still play on PvP servers cause I love getting in fights with similar level folks and winning or losing, but most of the time....even on Rift which I'm playing free right now...It's just lvl 60s in groups killing me. And even if I spawn at the ressurection point they'll start killing me on it too. And I've had worse experiences with gankers...So that's what I don't like about PvP really. And in games where endgame is hunting new players....Like Darkfall, I can't see how you expect the playerbase to ever grow rather than shrink? 

--Custom Rig: Maker's Forge---
3.0 Ghz AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor (Six Cores, 3.0 Ghz Each)
8 Gigs DDR3
Radeon HD 6990 4 gigs of dedicated ram.
Windows 7 Ultimate

DamonVile

Elite Member

6/26/13 5:36:48 PM#19
Originally posted by Sovrath

Well I personally like pvp but I can EASILY (didn't you just make a post on critical thinking and that a good amount of people can't do it?) see why people don't like some pvp'ers.

It did make me laugh seeing this thread.

People are like cats. When they die, you get a new one.

bcbully

Elite Member

OP  6/26/13 5:37:11 PM#20
Originally posted by Sovrath

I'm not talking about "some pvp'ers" I'm talking about in general. I wondered for years. The reasons I gave are the ones I've come up with. Please tell me if there are more lol. I swear I'm trying. 

A previous poster said something about time. I thought to myself, "Ok." Then I thought back on my 8 years of mmorpg'n and couldn't think of a time where I lost more than a few minutes, and even then, did I really lose them?

28 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search