Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,869,910 Users Online:0
Games:744  Posts:6,253,235
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

World of Warcraft Forum » General Discussion » BBC - World of Warcraft subscribers are leaving, Activision warns

8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
156 posts found
  Volkon

Novice Member

Facts do not require fiction for balance.

5/09/13 1:51:41 PM#21
Hmm... Guild Wars 2 hasn't even released in China yet.

Oderint, dum metuant.

fivoroth

Spotlight Poster

5/09/13 1:52:52 PM#22
Originally posted by Volkon

I don't think the Chinese will like a grind free game.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Volkon

Novice Member

Facts do not require fiction for balance.

5/09/13 1:54:09 PM#23
Originally posted by fivoroth

That may be true. It'll be interesting to see how it actually does over there. I can see them getting rather competitive on the WvW side of things in lieu of the traditional grind.

Oderint, dum metuant.

InsaneDalek

Apprentice Member

EXTERMINATE!

5/09/13 1:57:13 PM#24

The problem is that they keep adding more of the same. More dailies, more heroics, more raids, etc. People are getting tired of the same old stuff day in and day out. I like MoP, but quit because of the ridiculous daily quest grind.

They need more things like battle pets & farming; fun activities that can be fun diversions from the main gear grind.

Edit: To the poster below me: No, just no. Kung Fu Panda 1&2 are absolutely amazing films, and easily rival the very best Pixar has to offer. To say otherwise just proves you have horrible taste in film.

It's a sad day indeed when a family is too afraid of reprisals to publicly thank somebody for saving their lives.

Iselin

The Listener

5/09/13 1:57:29 PM#25
It's because Bliz has lost touch wit pop culture. Kung Fu Panda? Really? Madagascar, Finding Nemo and Land Before Time were much, much better. So where are the penguin, fish and dino people, eh?
  InsaneDalek

Apprentice Member

EXTERMINATE!

5/09/13 1:57:56 PM#26
Originally posted by fivoroth

The crafting system is plenty grindy though...

It's a sad day indeed when a family is too afraid of reprisals to publicly thank somebody for saving their lives.

expresso

Tipster

5/09/13 1:59:06 PM#27
Originally posted by Jyiiga
14% is a big deal. Silly people trying to downplay it. Blizzard/Activision is just like any other company on the stock exchange. 

Yes 14% is a big deal but when a game with 100k subs drops 14% the head line reads ;

Game X loses 14k subscribers, down to just 86k - no big deal

Wow loses 14% and it's;

WoW loses 1.3 million subs and is dying fast - the sky is falling

They still lost the same amount of players relative to their player bases, it's a natural decline, it will spike back up for a time when the next expansion hits then drop again.  Ofc any spike in player are all bots and blizzard lies.

ThaneUlfgar

Novice Member

5/09/13 1:59:17 PM#28
I am not surprised, the game is almost 9 years old.
  winter

Advanced Member

5/09/13 2:01:39 PM#29
Originally posted by MadDemon64

I smell a potential f2p conversion coming on.

Lets face facts.  Games like TERA, SW:TOR, Aion, and LOTRO were only kinda popular when they were s2p games, but once they converted to f2p, they experienced HUGE population booms.  The same will happen if/when WoW converts to f2p, and right now, I think it's less of a matter of "if" than it is of "when".  In fact, even if they made it b2p where players had to buy the expansion packs but not need to pay a subscription, that would create a similarly huge population boom (and might be enough to bring me back).

Meh, if a game good its worth $15 a month, if it not worth that then its not worth me wasting my time on it even if it is free

dc1509

Novice Member

5/09/13 2:04:33 PM#30

I'm actually one of those 1.3 mil.

I'm coming back each major update for a month or so to check what's going on, and always leave ...

winter

Advanced Member

5/09/13 2:10:40 PM#31
Originally posted by Iselin
It's because Bliz has lost touch wit pop culture. Kung Fu Panda? Really? Madagascar, Finding Nemo and Land Before Time were much, much better. So where are the penguin, fish and dino people, eh?

My guess is they are saving the dino people and the penguin race for the next expansion. :)

fariah033

Novice Member

5/09/13 2:15:52 PM#32
I only have one word to say " DAILIES "
  deniter

Elite Member

5/09/13 2:27:28 PM#33
Originally posted by ThaneUlfgar
I am not surprised, the game is almost 9 years old.

After the 1-60 revamp in Cata majority of the game's content is not older than a bit over 2 years (Cata pre-patch came in november 2010), so this is not an excuse, imo.

Incomparable

Hard Core Member

5/09/13 2:36:28 PM#34

They can add new things to the game to bring people back, that fit the game.

1. Player housing and decoration. The items for decoration can be gathered from quests, and they can make it so that a person to get this item must complete the quest in a certain time or without dying etc.

2. Social activities. People might log off to play another game, isnt it better to add something that keeps player interested and can be used as a quest as well? A wow card game like magic, or maybe a racing game. This can be incorporated into quests.

3. Player made content. Allow players to make content. Design duel arenas or certain mazes can be played and devs can add rewards as they see fit for completing this content. Or even with mini games like a racing game and allowing for mazes and traps and race tracks.

4. Building in a persistent world. The engine uses dated graphics and instead of updating them, they can add more features allowing people to build anywhere. People can build or dig anywhere. Something like this needs more supporting ideas.

5. Turning WoW into a 3d strategy and player being the strongest unit. This involves a base which be guild or individually owned. Again depending on the engine and demands of such an idea it can be in the open world or an instance. Even if its an instance adding player decoration and game advancement unlocking certain npcs, adds a lot of replayability to the game with new features. Something i have been wanting in an mmo for a long time.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

silvermember

Advanced Member

5/09/13 2:39:36 PM#35
Before a lot of people make random comments about the reason it is losing subs, just remember most of the lost subs came from the east.
  Nadia

Elite Member

5/09/13 2:41:54 PM#36
Originally posted by fariah033
I only have one word to say " DAILIES "

i hate dailies too

as others have said, WOW is still doing great when compared to any other mmo

but Blizzard took a 17% drop since their October 2012 claim of 10 million

if Activision is to be believed from the BBC article, 

subs are expected to fall lower next financial quarter too

Robokapp

Elite Member

The only luck I had today was to have you as my opponent.

5/09/13 2:44:37 PM#37
Originally posted by silvermember
Before a lot of people make random comments about the reason it is losing subs, just remember most of the lost subs came from the east.

your point ?

east subs are still subs.

Nadia

Elite Member

5/09/13 2:45:45 PM#38
Originally posted by silvermember

thats meaningless info

5 years ago,  Blizzard claimed WOW had a 55%  Asia  45% US/EU split

http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/01/22/world-of-warcraft-hits-10-million-subscribers/

if both regions lost proportionate subs

-- you could still claim Asia lost more (because Asia has the most subs)

Quirhid

Elite Member

Correcting wrongs on the Internet...

5/09/13 3:07:29 PM#39
Oh well. All things come to an end. Good thing they have their next MMORPG in the oven.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

DonY81

Apprentice Member

5/09/13 3:10:36 PM#40
Hmmmm think its about time they started talking a bit more about TITAN tbh.

8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search