Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | Marvel Heroes | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,736,203 Users Online:0
Games:712  Posts:6,173,751
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » What is the appeal of Arena PvP. I seriously don't get it.

8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
148 posts found
  nariusseldon

Elite Member

4/23/13 11:35:19 AM#41
Originally posted by DAS1337

It's the generation now mindset.  It's about convenience.  The fastest possible way to kill someone and get gear.  

Gone are the days of working for what you get.  Chasing your prey over several zone lines, or effectively escaping from someone who you shouldn't have gotten away from.  Killing or defending for something other than gear is lost on many because it doesn't include a reward.  Everyone today wants to feel like the birthday boy.  They want to feel special.  The best way to feel special for them is to get hollow rewards for a meaningless activity.  They don't recognize that it's meaningless, it's just how they are.  They all cry when they die.  Now you can't even make them run back to their corpse, they can't be bothered by moving.  Now there's LFG and LFD tools that instantly teleport them to their destinations.  And so on and so forth.  As I said, it's all about convenience because people today are crybabies.  It may be an opinion, but it's the right opinion.  If you enjoy arena PvP that has no real reward, that's fine I guess.  Most of these games with PvP arenas have 'I WIN' items in them anyways, so don't try and shove the bullshit down our throats about showing your skill.  The gap between max level players can be insurmountable depending on the gear.  It's just a bad argument.

Of course it is about convenience .. we are talking about entertainment here. There is no real achievement. It is just wasting time. Any achievement is an illusion.

And since we are talking about illusions, may as well get the convenient ones. And personally i don't feel the requirement to walk 20 min before going into a dungeon is challenging, nor worth while work. It is just a boring filler gameplay that is no fun and waste of my time.

So yeah .. i am all for LFG/LFD tools .. in fact, won't play a MP game without it. (Even in a world pvp game like PS2, you are not require to walk 20 min before you see action .. you can just drop in on it).

Bookah

Apprentice Member

"you are not prepared!"

4/23/13 12:41:23 PM#42

Arena in WOW is awesome.

Super competitve and an accutal rating is given to each team and the best compete @ tournaments and ultimatly  @ blizzcon for over $100k .

(They can then make a good living @ sites like skillcapped.)

http://www.skill-capped.com/

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/area-52/Ghostmourn/simple

Heres my rogue from wow @ the bottom you can see his arena teams and rating.

Its alot of fun, I think the same kind of ranked play in moba's is equally intesnse

Axehilt

Novice Member

4/23/13 12:48:15 PM#43

Ever heard of games like Soccer or Chess?  In these controlled-arena games players actually compete to see who is more skilled (as opposed to who has played longer or who brings more friends.)

So basically arena PVP is the closest MMORPG PVP gets to being real PVP.  Normally MMORPG PVP is Casual PVP.

MMOExposed

Spotlight Poster

4/23/13 12:50:53 PM#44
Originally posted by klerken

its actually very simple in my very own opinion,

its pretty much the only way to keep pvp competive and "fair" since all is on equal ground (when they have geared up) and your 100 % confidence is just pulled outta your a** since games like CoD and all the different mobas don't offer much reward except the joy of outplaying your opponents

if you wan't to stick to MMO's i guess wow high ranking arenas and GW2 battleground or what its called is still thriving despite people being geared already and just playing to show how skilled they are.

Small Scale PvP will never be Fair.

thats the whole issue. I played WoW when they first added Arenas.

When a game has unique Classes with uniqueness, the small scale PvP will never be balanced.

Same reason Dueling isnt balanced around in the same game, is the same reason small scale Arena PvP wont be balanced.

No way to balance small scale PvP so that a TBC Ret Paladin and Protection Paladin, and Enh Shaman makes for a good team, no matter how skilled the players may be. They could be the best players in the whole game. But still will fall short due to Class combo.

Arena is never fair. Even Blizzard took note of this, but far too late.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

4/23/13 12:55:38 PM#45
Originally posted by MMOExposed

LoL begs to differ. You can pick any heroes. That is fair.

StonesDK

Hard Core Member

4/23/13 12:57:53 PM#46

What I don't understand is, why a whole thread is dedicated to discussing, why others like something that you don't.

There are people out there that likes a swift kick in the groin or getting feces smeared all over themselves. Instead of trying to understand why people like something, just accept that, that's just how it is.

fantasyfreak112

Apprentice Member

4/23/13 12:59:19 PM#47
There is no appeal apparently. WoW arena's are almost completely dead this season and no one cares about GW2 from a competitive standpoint.
  nariusseldon

Elite Member

4/23/13 1:01:02 PM#48
Originally posted by fantasyfreak112
There is no appeal apparently. WoW arena's are almost completely dead this season and no one cares about GW2 from a competitive standpoint.

Because most who like e-sports already move to LoL and DOTA2?

nariusseldon

Elite Member

4/23/13 1:01:56 PM#49
Originally posted by StonesDK

What I don't understand is, why a whole thread is dedicated to discussing, why others like something that you don't.

There are people out there that likes a swift kick in the groin or getting feces smeared all over themselves. Instead of trying to understand why people like something, just accept that, that's just how it is.

You just answered you own question.

Some like to discuss why they don't understand others. Just accpet that, that's just how it is.

StonesDK

Hard Core Member

4/23/13 1:03:13 PM#50
Originally posted by nariusseldon

Some like to discuss why they don't understand others. Just accpet that, that's just how it is.

I didn't ask any question

nariusseldon

Elite Member

4/23/13 1:07:23 PM#51

You said "What I don't understand is, why a whole thread is dedicated to discussing, why others like something that you don't."

While you miss a question mark, isn't "why a whole thread is dedicated to discussion ..." .. a QUESTION?

StonesDK

Hard Core Member

4/23/13 1:09:31 PM#52

You said "What I don't understand is, why a whole thread is dedicated to discussing, why others like something that you don't."

While you miss a question mark, isn't "why a whole thread is dedicated to discussion ..." .. a QUESTION?

Not if there's no question mark

nariusseldon

Elite Member

4/23/13 1:17:42 PM#53

Still .. now do you accept what you don't understand?

JasonJ

Apprentice Member

4/23/13 1:22:15 PM#54
Originally posted by ShakyMo
Jason
Gw1 and wow were the first games to do instanced pvp.

That's why I mention blizzard and arenanet.

Sure far too many people have cloned that setup since..... but they are the inventors of it, and also the only 2 to push the silly Esports in a mmo idea.

And as I said before, it was a natural progression from DaoC...the first game to take PvP and put it behind an invisible wall making everyplace else safe. And what is an instance? A different kind of place behind an invisible wall.

Instances were not a leap forward, it was a step forward. EQ created zones you had to load into, different from the open world UO before it, DaoC took that and used it for PvP, WoW kept open world, and only used the invisible wall for PvP.

I understand you wont allow something bad to be said about DaoC, but too bad, it was the first game to take PvP and turn it into a themepark crapfest and we have what we have today because of it.

Axehilt

Novice Member

4/23/13 1:28:09 PM#55

Will asymetric-class PVP ever be 100% perfectly fair?  Of course not.

But can it be fair enough, so that 99.9% of fights are decided fairly (through skill)?  Absolutely.  Starcraft is a fantastic example of a series with incredible asymetry, but considerable balance.

JasonJ

Apprentice Member

4/23/13 1:31:35 PM#56
Originally posted by Axehilt

Will asymetric-class PVP ever be 100% perfectly fair?  Of course not.

But can it be fair enough, so that 99.9% of fights are decided fairly (through skill)?  Absolutely.  Starcraft is a fantastic example of a series with incredible asymetry, but considerable balance.

1. I agree with the asymetric part.

2. Mo*#$r F*#$%r just ZERG RUSHED me!

yeah

StonesDK

Hard Core Member

4/23/13 1:32:56 PM#57

Nope I still don't understand why a whole thread is dedicated to it. Unless of course it's to elevate ones own opinion and tastes above others then I do. Then it's business as usual around here

Reklaw

Elite Member

The adult I am takes care of most things real life. However my inner-child is a GAMER!!

4/23/13 1:40:19 PM#58

What is the appeal of Arena PvP. I seriously don't get it.

Simple advice: you don't need to seriously get it.

I don't like Arena PVP in a MMORPG, I do enjoy it in multiplayer FPS games but I never would question why someone might enjoy them in a MMORPG. If they are having fun then that's the only thing that really matters to me.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

4/23/13 1:53:15 PM#59

Nope I still don't understand why a whole thread is dedicated to it. Unless of course it's to elevate ones own opinion and tastes above others then I do. Then it's business as usual around here

Take your own advice.

fantasyfreak112

Apprentice Member

4/23/13 1:55:51 PM#60

Because most who like e-sports already move to LoL and DOTA2?

Pretty much, if they care about competition at all.

8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search