Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,785,852 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,192,972
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » How much have you spent on MMOs?

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
39 posts found
  TheScavenger

Novice Member

Those who ask a question, are stupid for 30 seconds. Those who never ask, are stupid for life.

OP  4/20/13 10:02:48 PM#1

As title says. How much have you spent on MMOs?

I only play free to play games.

But thus far, I've spent 1,000 USD on EVE (planning another 250), 500 in GW2 (going to spend another 250 there), and I played Allods that I spent 1000 on over a course of a few months.

It helps a lot. In EVE,  since I sold a lot of the time cards for ISK (I kept a lot, so I can hop on whenever without having to sub again). I don't buy expensive ships (well I have a few randomly scattered around for more serious play)...just a bunch of throwaways that don't cost much.

In GW2, outside of some account bound armor...my character has the best stuff one can buy. Plus a bunch of vanity stuff. And Allods the cash shop was so overpowered, that I killed anyone who spent less (but I got killed by anyone who spent more than I did). I knew a couple people that went broke and lost their homes due to spending so much on Allods.

Those three are probably only games I've spent money on. I threw a few dollars to SWTOR to unlock stuff, but I'm only playing that for the story so I don't really need anything else. And I never sub to games, so I don't have to worry about a monthly (or yearly) fee. I can just buy game time or just spend money on the cash shop and get more rewarded for it.

So what about you guys, spend any money on MMOs?

Isabella and Laenaya are on Photobucket!

http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Vendayn/library/Skyrim/Anime%20Skyrim

My (mostly) scenery screenshots of heavily modded Skyrim

http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Vendayn/library/Skyrim/Anime%20Skyrim/Aesthetics

Xthos

Hard Core Member

4/20/13 10:06:02 PM#2
That is a little confussing, you say you only play f2p games, then talk about games that you are paying a sub for?
  TheScavenger

Novice Member

Those who ask a question, are stupid for 30 seconds. Those who never ask, are stupid for life.

OP  4/20/13 10:11:46 PM#3

I don't sub to games. If it requires a sub, I just buy game time. Otherwise I fully use the cash shop.

GW2, EVE, SWTOR and Allods I've never put up a subscription for. For EVE, I just buy tons of time cards to both use and sell.

Isabella and Laenaya are on Photobucket!

http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Vendayn/library/Skyrim/Anime%20Skyrim

My (mostly) scenery screenshots of heavily modded Skyrim

http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Vendayn/library/Skyrim/Anime%20Skyrim/Aesthetics

Lovely_Laly

Novice Member

game is also real

4/20/13 10:17:08 PM#4

f2p runescape for about 8$ per month sub (don't be surprised it such RS unique system!), for about 3 years of playing = 250-300$

f2p Atlantica for cost of normal sub + mount + some junk (can't even recall)= about 150$ for like 4-5 months of playing.

WoW games for over 300$ (some collectors) and like 2 years of sub = about 500$

f2p Runes of Magic, gear etc (as you told, OP, "helps a lot") for over 1000$ for like 7 months of playing (will NEVER do it again)

GW1 (3 games + x-pack) = about 180$ + some packs for like 50$ more but loved it + like 2 years of playing.

GW2 60$ for 3 months...

I think that is for big expenses.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

OG_Zorvan

Apprentice Member

4/20/13 10:20:12 PM#5
Too damn much.

EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

Grimula

Apprentice Member

4/20/13 10:34:26 PM#6

i have payed a monthly Sub for games since Everquest 1 started...but only ever  1 game at a time

i have never spent money on cash shop items

jalexbrown

Apprentice Member

4/20/13 10:35:31 PM#7

(In no particular order...)

WoW - Around $350

EQ2 - Around $120

EQ - $55

Vanguard - $30

SOE All-Access Pass - $90

GW2 - $60

TSW - $30

UO - $45

Eve - Around $35

AoC - Around $70

Rift - Around $175

FF11 - $20

GW1 - $40

SWTOR - $105

Total - Around $1225

Slappy1

Novice Member

4/20/13 11:08:11 PM#8
[mod edit]

[mod edit]

As to the topic,I couldn't really say how much exactly I've spent on individual games.The most I spent was when the LON game came out for EQ2.Probably spent $1000 over a couple year's getting the mount's and other stuff I wanted.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

Dreamo84

Defender of Worlds

I actually still like MMORPGs

4/20/13 11:20:11 PM#9
Oh god, I don't want to know. Way too much in most peoples eyes. But I don't regret any of it I love MMOs and I love trying them all and continuing the ones I love. It's so hard for me these days to play just one, so I'm loving the trend of B2P and F2P. Some how a sub just does make me feel like I HAVE to play.

xKopogerox

Apprentice Member

4/20/13 11:25:32 PM#10

Last year I got my WOW divorce. I haven't spent $ on new MMO since January, 2011 (DCUO only cuz it was $35 with promo) Everything else since failed to attract me enough to spend $. Guess I'm not the graph they are targetting (veteran, experienced players) I have 0 respect toward games who arent doing their best and taking risk to make something more than what we already have. I have 0 respect toward companies that aren't willing to risk much, while expecting I bite the hook.

I tell you whatever concept/mechanics current B2P/P2P offering is not too far or as equal if not worse than what many F2P MMO's are offering.

I'm just proud I didn't spend a dime on anything new that came out last 2½ years, cuz I know it feels good knowing that I helped genre evolve and refuse to play whats handed to me for the price they asking.

I'll most likely spend $ on one new MMO mid 2014 and that's a big maeby. Until then I'll keep trying F2P models or do other activities irl to pass the time.

I strongly believe if 20% of MMO playerbase did what I did in last 2 and a half years, companies would merge and deliver MMO's aimed for the mature, veteran audience, cuz at the end it's better to make some income than no income at all.

If anything exceptional comes out in the market it will be either from SOE or big maeby from Titan (Blizzard new project). They both have history in making great games that kept me interested for prolong time and that's exacly what I'm looking. Richard Garrot with his Shroud of Avatar is also in the mix. He was part of Ultima Online, another epic MMO that gave me memorable experience when I got into the genre.

Starcraft oldschool aka wise/04. SWG/UO aka Wise HeRo, Light Jedi Knight pre-cu (Bria)

jalexbrown

Apprentice Member

4/20/13 11:28:14 PM#11
[mod edit]
  Sephiroso

Advanced Member

4/20/13 11:29:02 PM#12
Originally posted by xKopogerox

Last year I got my WOW divorce. I haven't spent $ on new MMO since January, 2011 (DCUO only cuz it was $35 with promo) Everything else since failed to attract me enough to spend $. Guess I'm not the graph they are targetting (veteran, experienced players) I have 0 respect toward games who arent doing their best and taking risk to make something more than what we already have. I have 0 respect toward companies that aren't willing to risk much, while expecting I bite the hook.

I tell you whatever concept/mechanics current B2P/P2P offering is not too far or as equal if not worse than what many F2P MMO's are offering.

I'm just proud I didn't spend a dime on anything new that came out last 2½ years, cuz I know it feels good knowing that I helped genre evolve and refuse to play whats handed to me for the price they asking.

I'll most likely spend $ on one new MMO mid 2014 and that's a big maeby. Until then I'll keep trying F2P models or do other activities irl to pass the time.

I strongly believe if 20% of MMO playerbase did what I did in last 2 and a half years, companies would merge and deliver MMO's aimed for the mature, veteran audience, cuz at the end it's better to make some income than no income at all.

this man or woman deserves an applaud. i wish more people had the self respect(common sense) to not continue to spend money on crap. the world would be a better place.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Slappy1

Novice Member

4/20/13 11:29:26 PM#13
[mod edit]

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

kjempff

Advanced Member

Make worlds not stories

4/20/13 11:30:41 PM#14

Over the years..

~20 boxes and expansions, 10+ years of 10$ sub, 1000+ days /played.

Guessing 8-10c per hour all included, the cheapest entertainment you can get is gaming :)

jalexbrown

Apprentice Member

4/20/13 11:35:07 PM#15
Originally posted by Sephirosothere actually is no problem.

see, WoW didn't always suck for one.  For two, if you think WoW sucks, then you also think Allods suck cause Allods is an inferior (in EVERY conceivable way) WoW. So then you would agree with me.

Oh, but I think WoW did always suck.  And since I'm projecting my opinions, I'm right and you're wrong.  Clearly quality is objective, and the way it's measured is to my liking.  Because, you know...I'm always right.

Lissyl

Advanced Member

If cosmetics aren't content, why don't people demand a cheaper game done in full grayscale?

4/20/13 11:40:48 PM#16
Approximately $1110 on WoW over 6 years (roughly a one-year break during that time).  I think I spent $200 on DDO over 8 months (sub+light cash shop purchases), and I think I spent $20 in Aion over 6 months.  I don't like to use the cash shop, although I will do so without much complaint so long as there's no sub fee.  I won't even consider a game with a sub -and- a cash shop UNLESS the items in the cash shop are either also attainable in-game, or enough similar items are in-game as to make the cash shop not attractive (example: WoW.  With all the pets in-game, the cash pets typically don't interest me.  I will consider one occasionally though, and have bought 3 of them during 3 different $5 sales).  TERA's cash shop, back before it was f2p, is an example of unacceptable.  I cancelled right after it was announced, despite having been in all the CBT's, preordering, and having followed the game's development for well over a year before then.
  StonesDK

Hard Core Member

4/20/13 11:42:02 PM#17
Originally posted by Sephiroso
Originally posted by jalexbrown
Originally posted by Sephirosothere actually is no problem.

see, WoW didn't always suck for one.  For two, if you think WoW sucks, then you also think Allods suck cause Allods is an inferior (in EVERY conceivable way) WoW. So then you would agree with me.

Oh, but I think WoW did always suck.  And since I'm projecting my opinions, I'm right and you're wrong.  Clearly quality is objective, and the way it's measured is to my liking.  Because, you know...I'm always right.

If he named any other f2p other than Allods that he spent 1000 dollars on, i probably would not have even posted.

You should probably familiarize yourself with the word "subjective" I think it will save you a lot of confusion and headaches in the future

jalexbrown

Apprentice Member

4/20/13 11:45:36 PM#18
[mod edit]
  StonesDK

Hard Core Member

4/20/13 11:48:21 PM#19

Subjective perception is the manner in which an individual views the physical world based on the workings of his own brain and sensory systems. Each individual has a brain, sensory systems, and cognitive structures that differ from those possessed by everyone else. As such, one cannot conclusively say that he hears or sees exactly what other people hear or see. The problem of subjective perception is very important in philosophy, brain science, and psychology, and is a significant barrier to establishing the conclusive objectivity of scientific findings. Perception can be shared only through communication, and no form of communication exists that can perfectly express one person's perception to another.

'subjective perception' copy pasta

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-subjective-perception.htm

BeansnBread

Advanced Member

4/20/13 11:51:20 PM#20
[mod edit]

SWTOR is the greatest mmo ever!

2 Pages 1 2 » Search