Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,814,969 Users Online:0
Games:731  Posts:6,213,880
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » How much weight do you give to metascores?

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search
54 posts found
  User Deleted

OP  4/12/13 3:13:56 AM#1

When you consider buying a game, do you look into reviewer scores? How much weight do you give to meta-scores?

I consider a lot of factors. I don't always consider such scores knowing they can be off for certain games that I might really like if I had given them a try. On the other hand, they can influence my decision to take a risk in certain situations.

I've been looking at a game on Steam which had a metascore rating of 70 yesterday. I checked a little while ago and it's down to 67. 

How do you look at metascores when making your decisions about whether to buy or not?

EDIT: Has there ever been a game that had a relatively low metascore (on Steam for example) that you bought and enjoyed and thought deserved better?

Menzeldinho

Novice Member

4/12/13 3:19:52 AM#2

Metascore gives you a vague idea of the game, and if its really really low then you know its not worth it. i think anything 60ish plus has potential, so if i feel im interested in the game i'd look it up a bit more, maybe a few gameplay videos and infomation on what the game has to offer. Obviously if there is a demo available try that but they don't always give a full representation of the game either.

Normally you just have to use your gut feeling whether you will like a game, and you are normally right.

Menzeldinho Xfire Miniprofile
  User Deleted

OP  4/12/13 3:22:33 AM#3
Originally posted by Menzeldinho

Metascore gives you a vague idea of the game, and if its really really low then you know its not worth it. i think anything 60ish plus has potential, so if i feel im interested in the game i'd look it up a bit more, maybe a few gameplay videos and infomation on what the game has to offer. Obviously if there is a demo available try that but they don't always give a full representation of the game either.

Normally you just have to use your gut feeling whether you will like a game, and you are normally right.

I see what you're saying, though I kind of feel more like 70ish is my "has potential" threshhold. For example, SimCity is at 64, and I wouldn't touch that thing with a remote control, based on what I've read of it.

EDIT: And then you get some wierd ones like Diablo 3, which has an 88 metascore. However the user score is 3.8. How does that happen?

Sometimes it's just really split. For instance, Defiance at this moment has 68 with a user score of 6.8. Compare that the 88 and the 3.8 of D3. 

Menzeldinho

Novice Member

4/12/13 3:25:14 AM#4
Originally posted by PWN_FACE

I see what you're saying, though I kind of feel more like 70ish is my "has potential" threshhold. For example, SimCity is at 64, and I wouldn't touch that thing with a remote control, based on what I've read of it.

Obviously different people have different thoughts of what has potential, me personally absolutely love SimCity, yeah its got a crappy score because it had an extreme rough launch ( it was unplayable for much over a week ) and everyone loves to jump on the hate EA bandwagen. But after all the issues ( much like Defiance more recently ) SimCity is infact a really fun online game

Menzeldinho Xfire Miniprofile
  GroovyFlower

Apprentice Member

Skyrim

4/12/13 3:25:31 AM#5

When you consider buying a game, do you look into reviewer scores? How much weight do you give to meta-scores?

I consider a lot of factors. I don't always consider such scores knowing they can be off for certain games that I might really like if I had given them a try. On the other hand, they can influence my decision to take a risk in certain situations.

I've been looking at a game on Steam which had a metascore rating of 70 yesterday. I checked a little while ago and it's down to 67. 

How do you look at metascores when making your decisions about whether to buy or not?

EDIT: Has there ever been a game that had a relatively low metascore (on Steam for example) that you bought and enjoyed and thought deserved better?

I read what people say on forums about some game then search for gameplay videos and read some reviews comepare all and then deside if i gonne play it or not.

And this way ive not many failors over years.

AoC and Hunter where some mistakes ive made over the years from reviews.

Torchlight 2 had good score bought it and thought it was a terible hack and slash game totally wasted my money on  that game friend of mine thought the same trivble game.

User Deleted
4/12/13 3:53:18 AM#6
The actual explanation/detailed review is usually helpful. Numerical score is largely meaningless as far as i've ever been able to tell.
  Anthur

Hard Core Member

4/12/13 4:15:54 AM#7

It's just one factor I consider when buying a game. I don't look only at the score but also some of the reviews and how the metascores are spread.

Further are (in no particular order)

- price, >50€ is no go

- demo, beta

- DLC already in pipe, I will wait till price drops and/or includes DLC

- previous experiences with company, game series

Professional reviews I mostly skip. They all usually give way too high scores. 10% of my buys are still failures. But hey, I am human, failures are normal. ;)

Shaigh

Elite Member

4/12/13 4:39:35 AM#8

For MMORPG's, zero.

High reviews for regular games can draw my attention, and disaster low metascores makes me avoid them but for most games I look at a positive and a negative review to see if the game is for me.

Jayaris

Novice Member

Hi

4/12/13 4:48:55 AM#9
Generally, I'll go on the page and glance at the top user and critic reviews. Most of the time when I buy a game the metacritic scores isn't even up though. 

Hi

Quirhid

Advanced Member

Correcting wrongs on the Internet...

4/12/13 4:49:48 AM#10

None.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Rusque

Elite Member

4/12/13 5:06:39 AM#11

I ignore the extremes, those 0's are going to be useless feedback from trolls and angry fanboys. The perfect 10's just mean the person is either a fanboy or refuse to have a critical view of a game they like.

D3 is the perfect example, lots so people gave it low scores due to rmah and being opposed to some of the design decisions. Even people who put in 100-150 hours of game play into it gave it paltry scores. And that's because they were not rating the game as its own entity, but rather rating it against d2 and their expectations.

i also tend to avoid major "official" reviews as so many of them are bought these days that its all noise. So I look for players taking the time to outline what works and what doesn't and then I can decide if its something that I'm interested in.

sudo

Apprentice Member

4/12/13 5:12:29 AM#12

I take metascore seriously unless the game is a mmorpg.

Defiance, for instance, is a blast for me personally and I spent 130$ on deluxe edition + dlc pack on it with pleasure. All of my friends are enjoying it as well. Each time we log in, times flies by and "much fun is had by all".

Some years ago, well before I even joined this site, I used to check mmorpgs score by the ratings here, on mmorpg.com, and quite liked them, agreeing with most, but it's not longer viable or anywhere near serious, even.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
Hans Margolius

Xthos

Hard Core Member

4/12/13 6:00:46 AM#13

None, zero, zilch.

dlld

Advanced Member

4/12/13 6:09:31 AM#14
a little i guess, say if a game is recieving a very high score and I never really taken a look at it i might do so or if it has really bad scores i might not bother at all. But I never buy something from score's alone.
  AlBQuirky

Spotlight Poster

Tomorrow's just a future yesterday...

4/12/13 6:10:50 AM#15

I don't give much weight, really. I'm not looking for popular games. I don't equate "good" with "popular."

I will read individual reviews and see how what the reviewer says stacks up to what I like. I may look at gameplay videos on YouTube if I am sitting on the fence for something. I do appreciate having some idea before I buy the game if it is worth my time and money.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Wizardry

Elite Member

Perhaps tomorrow will be better.

4/12/13 6:17:20 AM#16

ZERO !

I do not let anyones graph,chart or rating system determine what i buy or give props to.I do the homework and try the  game for my self.If i can't try the game,i will look at several videos to see the combat structure,the setting,the graphics,i try to look for as much as possible.

More often than not,i see misleading information out there,it is very annoying to see,ethics,morals are sinking to an all time low.People have so much greed for money they will cheat,lie,steal,whatever it takes to lure money out of your pocket.

One other point is that Metascores shoud lbe considered at ALL times,to be TOO high.The simple matter is that the players who decided to stay away becuase it was so obviously bad,will not even take the time to rate the game [not that they could anyhow].What you will have is a majority of fanbois ratings.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Napolianboo#p/u/15/rCYLLQCNc1w
Samoan Diamond

Adamantine

Advanced Member

War is not the ultima ratio, but the ultima irratio - Willy Brandt

4/12/13 6:21:57 AM#17

Um, basically none.

To decide if I want to play a MMO, I usually read Wikipedia (though article quality has massively degenerated recently, so that became pointless), the developer site, whatever other sources I can read.

To put a simple number on something as complex as a game and believe thats all thats needed to "rate" it is just absurd.

Yaevindusk

Elite Member

Logic, reason and fact do not supersede human nature. Ignorance reigns without justice.

4/12/13 6:23:34 AM#18

While I generally don't like the idea of Metacritic as a whole, of the times I went there I generally regarded the ratings in this matter:

Professional Critic:  If it is a quality game.  This may not include consumer hatred or wrong doings such as DRM, the "ruining" of a franchise, or something else that the developer did that pissed you off.

Player Review:  This is much more influenced by the passion of the player and thus things such as DRM, Auction Houses, a single player game suddenly being multiplayer, etc. are weighted in with the final score.

If both of them are low, then it's probably safe to safe that something went wrong with the development of the game.  If both are high, then we just may have a candidate for game of the year if you're into that sort of thing.

There are other factors that may contribute to both.

• Any rumor that a game may have paid off a professional critic (it doesn't happen often, and many follow strict morals when writing them, but it has happened in the past).

• Trolls that simply hate the developer or publisher or the franchise in general.  They don't care what title it is, it's always a zero or a one.
  • White Knights who give it a perfect 10 just because it's a hyped game (or to counter balance trolls).

When faced with strife or discontent, the true nature of a man is brought forth. It is then when we see the character of the individual. It is then we are able to tell if he is mature enough to grin and bare it, or subject his fellow man to his complaints and woes.

Benedikt

Tipster

We live for The One, we die for The One.

4/12/13 6:39:30 AM#19

none, tho i give at least small weight to the text of reviews

but otherwise i do decide more or less purely on game features and systems

nate1980

Spotlight Poster

4/12/13 6:45:40 AM#20

I think the metascore on metacritic is pretty reliable. If I'm looking for a game, but don't have any idea what sort of game I want to play, and I'm short on cash, it's a good tool to use to give me some ideas. But the score alone isn't good enough. A highs score will get me to read some reviews on the game, both professional and user alike. Overall, I've found the metascore to be pretty reliable. There's games that I'd of never played, such as Bayonetta, that turned out to be good that I only played due to its high score. 

However, some games that I enjoy the mechanics or style of play to, such as the Gothic series, that get low scores and I still play. 

Overall, metascores is just a tool to help me in my decision making process. It's still up to you to decide if a game fits your tastes. One last example is the COD franchise. If I'm going to spend $60+ on a game, it better have more than 8 hours of single player playtime and not rely heavily upon the multiplay map aspects. I've bought one COD game several years back and will never buy another one.

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search