Trending Games | WildStar | World of Warcraft | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,736,510 Users Online:0
Games:713  Posts:6,174,648
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Can't stand quest grinders.

12 posts found
  CalmOceans

Hard Core Member

Joined: 5/06/11
Posts: 1802

 
OP  2/17/13 5:07:26 PM#1

If I try one of those games I am quickly reminded how annoying these games are to play. I can tolerate something up to missives like Vanguard since they are just "kill 10 of X", which is actually fine for me since I'll somehow kill 10 mobs anyway so it isn't really an experience that's on rails.

But the WoWs and the gazillion quest-grinder MMO that followed, I don't understand how anyone plays these games.

These games take away all your freedom, you are no longer choosing how to level your character like in Everquest, you are actively being told "do this like a monkey" and now "do that like a monkey", it's like joining the postal service only less exciting since the postal delivery guy is allowed to deliver his packages in any order, not so in these games.

I wouldn't be able to make an alt in these games and do it all over, since it would be the exact same experience all over, you get told what to do and where to go and who to meet.

I don't understand how anyone plays these things and manages to enjoy them.

  Aerowyn

Novice Member

Joined: 2/20/12
Posts: 7969

2/17/13 5:29:49 PM#2
I played them for years and never really cared but over the years the drive to play the quest hub funneled type game has lost interest to me.. mosty....it's the main reason i couldn't get into tera at all... but good news it seems devs are moving away from this type of game overall and giving you a lot more options at least thats how it is in gw2 and seems many of the upcoming MMOs will offer little more variety in the questing experience(i would hope)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  ChakaCan

Novice Member

Joined: 1/17/13
Posts: 22

2/17/13 5:32:18 PM#3

I totally agree.  I now hate quests. And you what sux, if you decide not to do the quests, you realize how boring the game is.  Everquest more roaming creatures and had a fear associated with the adventure.  (I know this is covered in other posts)

I believe it will be awhile before the trend of quest-grinding stops.

  greenreen

Advanced Member

Joined: 11/19/12
Posts: 1389

2/17/13 7:53:48 PM#4

I've got an idea about games that are hand holders. They are the first MMO lots of people try. They tell you how to use the controls, lead you around, give you some slack but always suggest that you keep others close by. They map all your routes and cut down the amount of questions you might ask - making you blend as if you have been doing this for years. For that reason they are comforting for new people and people who got mad at wow but really want wow in their next game. That's two sets of people that will always play them. They'll say they don't like the quests but writhe if there isn't a quest guide online to tell them how to complete each one. Those that are seasoned will map out the most effective path to level and can tell you what zones to go to next.

They are the leapfrog for the eventual computer user.

Following the progression of you becoming better at MMOs, it's natural to get sick of these. They start to feel too hand-held and too linear. You want to get out, explore, do something on a strange path that others aren't traveling. You've moved up the ladder like some zen person on their new plane of existence. Those linear games will never fulfill again, you are above them.

After you break out of them you end up hunting the elusive sandbox MMO. It hides in deep trenches and isn't as above ground as those linear grinders. It doesn't have a central location yet, it's scattered around in smaller games but it may be growing as we all mature beyond these quest games.

As long as new people come to play MMOs the quest games are going nowhere. As long as people move toward sandboxes, they will grow, in developers and amount of them.

There's a quote that Henry Ford said something like if I asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse, I made a car. You are done buying horse oats.

 

  A.Blackloch

Advanced Member

Joined: 10/21/07
Posts: 836

"Choke on the smoke from my quill."

2/17/13 8:15:31 PM#5

I've always liked the crafting and professions more in mmorpgs than the whole questing thing. Farming materials and advancing the skills you want, however you want has always been fun. And turning your crafts into money is always nice too.

But questing is a must for some people, to help them travel around realms in somewhat rational order. Not everyone can figure out things on their own or decide what to do, where to go etc. And I assume that is the easiest way to reward players and give them the satisfaction of gaining something like character progress while the storyline goes on.

What I hate most in questing is the glowing question mark and a wall of text after you click it. That is an instant turn off and while questing with friends (who are always in hurry:P ) I just tend to skip that. I liked how this one new mmoprg gives you a quest and once you accept it, you can start traveling towards your goal already, while you get an audio dialogue with more information about the task at hand. That solution works well for me, though it doesn't take away the repetitiviness of same type of quests over and over again.

  MMOExposed

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 6/17/10
Posts: 5895

2/17/13 8:28:32 PM#6
Originally posted by CalmOceans

If I try one of those games I am quickly reminded how annoying these games are to play. I can tolerate something up to missives like Vanguard since they are just "kill 10 of X", which is actually fine for me since I'll somehow kill 10 mobs anyway so it isn't really an experience that's on rails.

But the WoWs and the gazillion quest-grinder MMO that followed, I don't understand how anyone plays these games.

These games take away all your freedom, you are no longer choosing how to level your character like in Everquest, you are actively being told "do this like a monkey" and now "do that like a monkey", it's like joining the postal service only less exciting since the postal delivery guy is allowed to deliver his packages in any order, not so in these games.

I wouldn't be able to make an alt in these games and do it all over, since it would be the exact same experience all over, you get told what to do and where to go and who to meet.

I don't understand how anyone plays these things and manages to enjoy them.

actually perhaps you are confusing things here. You still have choices on how to level. I believe you are confusing Leveling Speed and leveling freedom.

in a game like WoW, why do you not mob grind to level if you enjoyed that in Everquest? I still dont understand why people that dont like quest grind to level, but enjoy Everquest's level grind simply dont play WoW's leveling game like EQ does.

  nate1980

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 3/03/09
Posts: 1832

2/17/13 8:41:35 PM#7
I never enjoyed the quest progression system. WoW was my 4th MMO. Before WoW, I played DAOC, SWG, and COH. All of which encouraged group leveling, not solo questing. I didn't last more than a day or two in WOW because of this. So yeah, I agree about how questing is boring.
  DamonVile

Elite Member

Joined: 11/22/05
Posts: 4323

2/17/13 8:44:57 PM#8

So don't play them ? I don't understand how anyone can enjoy playing on a pvp server getting ganked all the time....yet they're very popular.

Not everyone likes the same thing....that's a good thing.

People are like cats. When they die, you get a new one.

  User Deleted
2/17/13 8:47:42 PM#9
Originally posted by Aerowyn
I played them for years and never really cared but over the years the drive to play the quest hub funneled type game has lost interest to me.. mosty....it's the main reason i couldn't get into tera at all... but good news it seems devs are moving away from this type of game overall and giving you a lot more options at least thats how it is in gw2 and seems many of the upcoming MMOs will offer little more variety in the questing experience(i would hope)

Feel the same way, the best feature of that game was no quest hubs. I hope all others do that in the future or at least have remote turnins.

  niceguy3978

Advanced Member

Joined: 6/14/06
Posts: 1975

2/17/13 8:49:48 PM#10
Originally posted by CalmOceans

If I try one of those games I am quickly reminded how annoying these games are to play. I can tolerate something up to missives like Vanguard since they are just "kill 10 of X", which is actually fine for me since I'll somehow kill 10 mobs anyway so it isn't really an experience that's on rails.

But the WoWs and the gazillion quest-grinder MMO that followed, I don't understand how anyone plays these games.

These games take away all your freedom, you are no longer choosing how to level your character like in Everquest, you are actively being told "do this like a monkey" and now "do that like a monkey", it's like joining the postal service only less exciting since the postal delivery guy is allowed to deliver his packages in any order, not so in these games.

I wouldn't be able to make an alt in these games and do it all over, since it would be the exact same experience all over, you get told what to do and where to go and who to meet.

I don't understand how anyone plays these things and manages to enjoy them.

I don't remember there being much in the way of options in leveling your character in EQ.  Mob grinding and....more mob grinding?  What were the other options?  You had options of where to grind mobs, but you were, in the end, grinding mobs.  I'm not saying this is a bad thing, there just weren't that many options when it came to getting xp, at least not that I remember.

  nate1980

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 3/03/09
Posts: 1832

2/17/13 8:59:37 PM#11
The reason why people don't mob grind in games like WoW is because the game isn't designed or balanced for that. Grinding mobs solo isn't that fun. Everyone grouped to grind mobs in older games. Since modern games aren't designed for mob grinding, you're really not gonna find a group for it. Mounts, AH prices, repair costs, and other things are priced with quest rewards in mind. Mob strength is balanced with quest rewards in mind. So that freedom is just an illusion.
  CalmOceans

Hard Core Member

Joined: 5/06/11
Posts: 1802

 
OP  2/17/13 9:10:42 PM#12
Originally posted by niceguy3978

I don't remember there being much in the way of options in leveling your character in EQ.  Mob grinding and....more mob grinding?  What were the other options?  You had options of where to grind mobs, but you were, in the end, grinding mobs.  I'm not saying this is a bad thing, there just weren't that many options when it came to getting xp, at least not that I remember.

I'll just name them, yes they're all mob grinding but there is huge variety in them.

-quad kite

-solo kite

-dot rot

-shakerpage

-AE bard kite

-pet tank

-trinity group

-charm kite

-cleric reverse DS

-headshot

-assasinate

-slay undead

Then there are the hundreds of zones available to you to actually kill in, most of those quest games have maybe 1 or 2 zones to start in for any specific race.