Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,774,112 Users Online:0
Games:720  Posts:6,188,006
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » F2P ... Tell me whats wrong with it...

9 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Search
172 posts found
  Phelcher

Advanced Member

2/15/13 3:48:42 PM#161
Free to play creates a community of misfits, whome have no investment in their character...

Thus, each person within that gameworld has no responsibility to his own (worthless) character.. & simply a transient.

Why would anyone ever want to play a free game. These the same people who want to eat a $5 pizza..? They like cheap stuff, because they are not old enough to have an income and much easier to play a free game, than it is to try and convince Mommy to pay $14/month.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

Squeak69

Novice Member

cheese cheese wheres da bloody cheese

2/15/13 4:07:57 PM#162

posted this on another thread and though it was a good expression of how i truly fill about free to play

Originally posted by craftseeker
Originally posted by gessekai332
so you dont think paying 50 bucks once is worth 3 months of unlimited playtime for a personal hobby. thats really, really funny. have fun dealing with real world expenses when you get older, kid.

Your argument only applies if in fact you play fro 3 months or more and enjoy it. I played for less than threee hours and hated it. Therefore for me it was not worth it. There are others with similar experiences of GW2. At this level of disappointment in a product there is no difference between the B2P and subscription model as most subscription games have a box price that includes 30 days. As I would not have been a subscriber to this game the loss is the same.

question if this where a single player game, how would this be any diffrent.

or do you want free to play games and thats the end of it.

because that sounds more like people not being willing to spend money for something but still wanting it.

and that is the crux of what F2P is in the end no matter what anyone says (and im sure they will)

people wanting to play games for free and not haveing to ever pay for it, while those of us that are willing to pay for a game so its has high quality watch a genra we love turned into a quick cash scam

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used to
Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

Destai

Elite Member

2/16/13 9:43:03 AM#163
Originally posted by nariusseldon
Originally posted by Destai

2. Free to play can create a situation of haves and have nots. I will revisit LoTRO. When raid buffs and stat tomes came out, it created a rift between the players. If you wanted to take on the harder and more rewarding dungeons or raids, you needed buffs. It's acceptable to have buffs that increase leveling of something, cosmetics, or seasonal items. It is completely unacceptable to sell anything that puts other players ahead or renders players unable to play paid content. Furthermore, no fundamental game system should ever, ever, ever require money unlock. Once again, LoTRO requires free players to pay for horse travel. SWTOR charged for skill bars. 

Why is that an issue? All online games have haves & have-nots. You don't belong to the ultra hard core raid guild, you don't get the best gear. You don't play 24/7, you have less gold than the guy who does.

The difference is that free to play requires you to pay for those differences. Of course there will always a difference between those who are hardcore and those who are not. That's not the issue. The issue is a fundamental game system is dependent on how much you spend in a cash shop and you are constantly reminded about this cash shop on every screen. It's becomes less of a game and more of an advertising medium.

Current MMOs: Wildstar, Guild Wars 2, the Secret World, World of Warcraft

Past Loves: Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings Online, Everquest

Destai

Elite Member

2/16/13 9:47:37 AM#164
Originally posted by jtcgs
Originally posted by Destai

2. Free to play can create a situation of haves and have nots. I will revisit LoTRO. When raid buffs and stat tomes came out, it created a rift between the players. If you wanted to take on the harder and more rewarding dungeons or raids, you needed buffs. It's acceptable to have buffs that increase leveling of something, cosmetics, or seasonal items. It is completely unacceptable to sell anything that puts other players ahead or renders players unable to play paid content. Furthermore, no fundamental game system should ever, ever, ever require money unlock. Once again, LoTRO requires free players to pay for horse travel. SWTOR charged for skill bars. 

There are some games that have handled F2P well, like League of Legends. However, I think most F2P MMOs are not worth playing. 

Flip side.

Pay to play can create a situation of haves and have nots. I will revisit WoW. When dungeons started dropping tiered gear, it created a rift between the players. if you wanted to take on the hard and more rewarding dungeons or raides, you needed to be geared with previous raids gear drops. It is completely unacceptable to require a person to have to raid for countless hours to gain gear to be able to raid again for countless hours. no fundamental game system should ever, ever, ever require you to play a lot of time just so you can play a lot of time for a little content. Once again, WoW requires paying players to play on end, just to be able to continue playing.

There are some games that have handled P2P well, like Asherons Call. However, I think most P2P MMOs are not worth paying for.

Once again, I have yet to see any real argument against F2P that isnt either a double standard or complete BS based on mis-information or not knowing a thing about it at all.

I don't see it as a double standard. Free to play manipulates the opportunity cost of players' time. Raiding models have nothing to do with pricing models in pay to play. That's the difference. I pay my monthly fee, I can raid or not. I can play enough to have that gear or not. I've paid upfront. However, in free to play this is not the case. I come into the game, expecting to be able to play it and instead hit wall after wall. And you're right, most P2P mmos are not worth paying for. I'd argue most MMOs are not worth paying for in general.

Current MMOs: Wildstar, Guild Wars 2, the Secret World, World of Warcraft

Past Loves: Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings Online, Everquest

Lovely_Laly

Novice Member

game is also real

2/16/13 1:18:18 PM#165

nothing wrong if you choose carefully.

some f2p games push you to spend too much at Item Shop, once you are hooked.
some just never offer you enough security nor good content, can be dull, outdated and full of bugs.
some community is just repulsing.

so IMO read about game b4 pick it up.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

Toferio

Advanced Member

2/16/13 2:10:48 PM#166
Originally posted by Arclan

Originally posted by KLECKO
F2p = hackers

This. Plus nothing in life is free. Rather than charging a fair price, F2P games use deception and trickery to prod you to keep reaching for your wallet. All F2P games that I know of offer character advancement for a fee (xp potions). Meaning all F2P games are P2W. I will not ever download a F2P game.

You need to learn the difference between pay to win and pay for convience. 

thinktank001

Advanced Member

2/17/13 1:30:41 PM#167
Originally posted by Toferio
Originally posted by Arclan

Originally posted by KLECKO
F2p = hackers

This. Plus nothing in life is free. Rather than charging a fair price, F2P games use deception and trickery to prod you to keep reaching for your wallet. All F2P games that I know of offer character advancement for a fee (xp potions). Meaning all F2P games are P2W. I will not ever download a F2P game.

You need to learn the difference between pay to win and pay for convience. 

Convience doesn't have anyting to do with P2W.  P2W is a business model that is based on monetizing game mechanics.   This is what all cash shop based games do.   Some don't appear to be as "unfair" as other games, but if that was the basis for defining a game as P2W it would be highly opinionated.  After all, one person's idea of convience is another person's unfair advantage.  

Aelious

Hard Core Member

World > Quest Progression

2/17/13 2:37:44 PM#168
I agree, some view xp potions as P2W even though the person still has to play the game for the gain. I personally feel "P2W" is when direct items can be bought that are powerful but that's just me. For instance I don't see EQ2 as P2W because what is offered are ways to earn it yourself, not just handing it to you.

I think the biggest disparagement is with PvP games. In most PvE situations it's just a matter of time before you get what you want.
  Crunchy222

Apprentice Member

2/17/13 3:23:14 PM#169

Well its all with the development.

With a p2p the developers goal is to keep you subbed, only way to do that is to add stuff that keeps you playing.

With a F2P, developers goal is to get free player paying, and hit those who do pay for as much as possible.

All F2P games are more expensive in the long run than a p2p game.  Yeah i know a lot of kids like not paying a dime, but we all know what happens after a while of not paying in these games...the built in fustrations that the cash shop alleviates becomes a pain...paying players have more advantages in some way and its a pain...the game just becomes a pain in the ass to play for free.

As with every thread of this type people use buy to play or pay per content as their smoking gun on f2p being better...those are not free to play...they just have a big trial.

Scot

Elite Member

2/18/13 2:40:25 AM#170

"Free to play creates a community of misfits, whome have no investment in their character..."

There lies the issue for a F2P MMO's community. They don't have one.

CyborWolfTK

Novice Member

2/18/13 2:48:35 AM#171

I've yet to find one that is good.  Pick one of the following reasons:

1. A Cash grab P2W.

2. Poorly produced, and executed.

3. A grind fest.

4. A circle jerk for gold sellers. (I get a bad feeling when the first thing i have to do is learn how to block chat because all i can read is 50 different gold spammers.)

5. Uninspiring, generic, or just plain stupid story lines and plots. Yeah i know it's an MMO but it seems like most don't even try.

6. Hand holding. Some games are so bad that all you have to do is double click text and it auto paths your character to where ever your suppose to go.

7. Guady, over the top, or Completely bland art.

8. Rampant hacking and cheating.

9. Dev's and GM's who seem like they are 12 year old prepubecent boys who inherited a brothel.

10. They make my head hurt.

Any questions?

(edited for grammar and spelling, and I still missed some.)

nariusseldon

Elite Member

2/19/13 10:15:06 AM#172
Originally posted by Scot

"Free to play creates a community of misfits, whome have no investment in their character..."

There lies the issue for a F2P MMO's community. They don't have one.

Just play the content like a SP game, or PUG MP game. It is just entertainment. It is not like i need to make friends in every game.

9 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Search