Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Guild Wars 2 | Elder Scrolls Online | EverQuest

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,748 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,296,253
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Some psychology questions involving Gaming Forums.

4 posts found
  paulytheb

Advanced Member

OP  2/10/13 3:35:29 PM#1

I am curious about something.

I am interested in responses from anyone, but most interested in responses from people with a background or at least some schooling in psychology, please make a note if this pertains to your post. My background is in engineering so I do not know much about it. Thank you in advance.

I am going to remove gaming from my hypothetical question/situation so I can ask my questions without the context altering the feedback or derailing the subject, though the topic does definitely involve MMO gaming.Gaming forums in particular. (Not just this forum.)

What does it say about the people involved, in psychological terms, when the following scenario is carried out ?

Person A goes to an automobile forum with their opinion on the new Chevy truck. Lets say for the argument that person A made a post that is titled ; " New Chevy Truck " Then went on to post," I like the new Chevy truck but I wish I could get it in factory lime green."

Person B then comes along and posts," Chevy trucks are terrible.Also lime green is a terrible color. Are you sure you thought this through? Most people prefer a red Ford.You should get a red Ford."

Person C then posts,"Lime green wouldn't be popular enough for Chevy to bother with that, you could get a Nissan they make a lime green."

Person D then posts,"Why do you need a truck? For most people a motorcycle will get them where they need to go.You and your truck are why there is so much traffic."

Person E then posts," Then you should becoma a billionaire, buy Chevy, and then you can have whatever color you want."

Person F then posts," I agree with the OP 100%"

I am interested in each generic example persons possible psychological make up. Obviously in very generic form due to the brevity of the samples provided. Does it say anything about the person or their personality at all?

How could their psychological make up be catagorized/defined?

What does this situation say about the psychology of humans on forums in general?

Is there any abnormal psychology involved?

I am really looking forward to reading the responses and I will read them all, but  I will not be posting again in this topic as I am looking forward answers and opinions not a conversation.I have already stated that I have no schooling or experience in the matter. Thus I will keep my opinions out of the equation.Feel free to hold your own conversations as you see fit.

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

Rossboss

Novice Member

2/10/13 4:21:06 PM#2

I'm a student in college, I took a few courses on general psychology and sociology. I kind of like psychology when it relates to how people react to situations like this. I am not an expert nor do I claim to have any higher understanding than you or anyone else on the forums in this field.

Person A is probably going to pay the most attention to Person C. This is mainly due to the fact that the rest of the posts don't relate to what Person A is even talking about. Person B and D are questioning Person A's thoughts and feeling towards the topic subject and will probably be ignored by Person A. People tend to identify with those that they can share a common feeling or idea with. Person E is perceived as the "Troll" because his post is neither valuable in information nor is it contributing to the topic. Person F may have the same opinion as Person A but generally people on forums do not respond to others with no content to their post. I'm not sure how Person A would act upon the comments from Person C and Person B, due to brand loyalty, but they might take a second look at Nissan and Ford trucks if they are open minded.

Person B is a pessimist and a traditionalist. Not only do they disagree with Person A's color choice and brand choice, but they also question the structure of the main poster's thoughts on the subject. They probably will probably start an arguement later about how Ford is better than every other brand.

Person C is focusing on aesthetic factors instead of the main investment of the vehicle. While the post seems to be drawing the original poster away from their loyal brand, Person C is using the common love of a color to relate the two brands. Their priorities aren't really in the right place for searching for such a large investment such as a car.

Person D is focusing on the larger picture of the world around them and how others will perceive Person A. They are also bringing logic into the situation by showing Person A that they can probably save some time by getting a motorcycle instead of a truck. This is probably the best appeal away from getting a truck, and probably will spawn the most conversation.

Person E has no scope on the situation. They are blatantly not contributing to the topic at hand and are just making jokes to cover their lack of knowledge in the field.

Person F may have the same opinion, but there isn't any supporting arguement to back up their statement. It's a very weak post as far as discussion goes.

That is my basic analysis of each of the posters. Think of it as you will, but this is how I perceived the situation.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

MightyChasm

Advanced Member

2/10/13 4:24:53 PM#3
Cringe.  
  greenreen

Elite Member

2/10/13 8:54:30 PM#4

I don't have formal training in that field.

I'll give my layman ideas because I like studying people and I'm a watcher.

Person A goes to an automobile forum with their opinion on the new Chevy truck. Lets say for the argument that person A made a post that is titled ; " New Chevy Truck " Then went on to post," I like the new Chevy truck but I wish I could get it in factory lime green."

This is someone just talking about what they got with a small complaint. Possibly seeking someone to agree with them or direct them to a good painter.

Person B then comes along and posts," Chevy trucks are terrible.Also lime green is a terrible color. Are you sure you thought this through? Most people prefer a red Ford.You should get a red Ford."

This person entered the thread knowing that it was going to be about Chevy, they obviously love Ford, they came for an argument. I saw this all the time in religious forums, xtians would jump into atheist threads and throw down the holy book quotes. This person came for confrontation. Had they used a word like "could" instead of "should" it would fare better for them.

Person C then posts,"Lime green wouldn't be popular enough for Chevy to bother with that, you could get a Nissan they make a lime green."

This person thinks they know statistically why the color isn't popular. They aren't really trying to say buy a Nissan instead - notice the word "could" used. They may think that Person A doesn't care as much about the manufacturer name if they get the style they wanted. I think they are indifferent about the topic of vehicle manufacturer unlike Person B but trying to be helpful.

Person D then posts,"Why do you need a truck? For most people a motorcycle will get them where they need to go.You and your truck are why there is so much traffic."

This person has a gripe about an unrelated subject. They are venting. May or may not be trying to start a fight.

Person E then posts," Then you should becoma a billionaire, buy Chevy, and then you can have whatever color you want."

This person is the brain age of mandarin orange. No one will respond to them except to post a picture of a lolcat.

Person F then posts," I agree with the OP 100%"

If they read the other posters' responses: This person has seen the OP get told what they did was wrong, what they think is wrong, and what they bought was wrong. They are trying to offer support and show Person C and Person A that there is more than one person out there that wants lime green. They are trying to wipe Person C's comment from existence by proving it isn't true but not actually confronting them about it.

If they didn't read the other posters' responses: This person just saw something they agreed with and made a quick comment to say - me too.