Trending Games | Pirate101 | ArcheAge | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,860,050 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,245,368
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Cash shop: bests and worsts

9 posts found
  User Deleted

OP  2/10/13 12:06:29 AM#1

I've been playing a few b2p and f2p games recently and so have been exposed to cash shops. I noticed that they vary in how much they get in your face as a player. Some make you actually want to look in and see what's for sale, while others are irritating.

From your experiences, which are the best and worst of the cash shops? Which games give value and fun and which just nickle-and-dime you to death until you quit?

TribeofOne

Advanced Member

2/10/13 12:10:20 AM#2
IMO GW2 has the best cash shop. However I do not like their Gems/Gold conversion thingy
  Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

2/10/13 12:11:15 AM#3
Aion and L2, you get access to the full game world, all classes, all races, and no real need to buy anything. Doesn't get much better than that.

Arrogant, Condescending, Dismissive, Elitist, you speak as if these are bad things?
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Myrdynn

Hard Core Member

2/10/13 12:13:40 AM#4

Best, hands down is Path of Exile, its the only game I have ever spent a dime in the Cash shop, and its simply because I wanted to donate to these guys.  Nothing but cosmetics, and bank slots in their Cash Shop, and you dont really need any of it if you dont want. 

steamtank

Novice Member

2/10/13 12:13:41 AM#5

Path of Exile is F2P 100%

best out of way cash shop ever.  Only one I have ever used to support a company who has implimented it.

User Deleted

OP  2/10/13 12:16:23 AM#6
Originally posted by Myrdynn

Best, hands down is Path of Exile, its the only game I have ever spent a dime in the Cash shop, and its simply because I wanted to donate to these guys.  Nothing but cosmetics, and bank slots in their Cash Shop, and you dont really need any of it if you dont want. 

How do they make money? Are there just cosmetic items in the shop?

I gave them $10 to play in the beta and it was fully worth it. What's in the shop since launch?

Siveria

Spotlight Poster

2/10/13 12:26:40 AM#7
Worse is probally anything Gpotato  hosts,  gpotato games tend to require cash shop to get anywhere, and the prices on the items are stupidly high. Like in rappelz, most partys only last an hour then they break, most of the time people use an item called a stamina saver, which bascally gives 1 hour of double exp, the problem? each of these costs 2 dollars US a piece, and if you don't use them, it takes ages to level up your character past like level 50 or so. Its even more important to have them because it can sometimes take hours to even get a full party together for one of these 1 hour romps, exp outside of these dungeon partys generally is pretty bad and not really worth doing.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

TwoThreeFour

Novice Member

2/10/13 12:28:23 AM#8

Best: League of Legends 

Worst: A lot of  browser games

Siveria

Spotlight Poster

2/10/13 12:30:28 AM#9
Originally posted by PWN_FACE
Originally posted by Myrdynn

How do they make money? Are there just cosmetic items in the shop?

I gave them $10 to play in the beta and it was fully worth it. What's in the shop since launch?

Bank size upgrades, and then cosmetic things, like glows for weapons, making skills look diffrent, like the one that turns the basic fireball spell from shooting a ball of fire, to shooting a cool looking dragons head like comet thing. Doesn't make the skill stronger but it sure looks a hell of alot nicer. For now its purely cosmetic stuff, nothing in there gives any sort of advantage, its bascally like giving them donations and you just get something nice to look at out of it thats all. But I am worried because every game that started out like PoE has, eventually ended up being a pay2win title later on, since cosmetic stuff just doesn't sell all that much. I'm sad to say I am a sucker for this, I am most likely to buy an item in a cash shop if its like say decorative clothes that has stats, then just decorate clothes that lack any stats. Doesn't have to be a big bonus, just some bonus.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!