Trending Games | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Guild Wars 2 | EverQuest | Landmark

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,636 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,312,065
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » 2013: The year of the last Mohicans

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
44 posts found
  AIMonster

Hard Core Member

2/07/13 5:18:11 PM#41
Originally posted by Alberel

This whole B2P and F2P craze will die out after a while. Players will eventually realise that subscriptions were better as they guaranteed the devs had to work to keep you paying. Look at GW2, there has been very little post-launch content added to that game and the majority of it has been very poorly received... B2P means the devs can get lazy as they already have everyone's money.

In less than 6 months the following content has been added to GW2:

• Increased dungeon rewards
  • Ascended gear
  • Fractals, which are essentially 10 whole new dungeons
  • Various dynamic events, jumping puzzles, and mini-dungeons
  • Mad King Day, Wintersday, Lost Shores Event, and the new Flame and Frost event.  2 of these events came with dungeons and jumping puzzles, as well as greatly effected various areas of the game
  • Improved karma rewards
  • Rebalance of some dungeons (especially last patch)
  • Additional crafting recipes
  • Additional mini pets, town clothes, and other events
  • Costume Brawl
I don't know of any MMO company (Trion comes close) that added this much content in 6 months without bundling it in an expansion and charging us (usually full price) for it.  I think the very notion that B2P and F2P won't have as much content as a subscription fee is silly anyway, because in order to get people paying for microtransactions you need to keep a good amount of content rolling in for "whales" to spend money on and you need an active player base of players who aren't spending money in the cash shop as well.  The payment model shouldn't effect the rate of content at all, though it may effect the type of content (more development time being invested to cash shop items versus free content).

Do people just make this stuff up?

Raptr link because it's the cool new trend:

Lovely_Laly

Novice Member

game is also real

2/07/13 5:23:02 PM#42

good game will hook you anyway and you will pay for it somehow.
what is difference if you pay sub or just spend X on item shop - you payed anyhow.

bad game will die as nobody will sub or use shop, just because it's bad and not fun.

so may be answer is not a payment model but game quality itself.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

Quirhid

Elite Member

Correcting wrongs on the Internet...

2/07/13 6:16:53 PM#43
Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

For all those talking about f2p has no long term viability you have no idea what you are talking about. 

Fact - f2p with a cs has been around longer than p2p.  Therefore it has just as much if not more long term viability than p2p.

You can talk about individual games all you want, however the model has been around longer.

For people talking about subscriptoins as a gold mine, for the most part (not all) f2p has generated more revenue than subscription.

For people stating that p2p games are better quality.  In that past that may have been true, in the last few years the f2p is just as high quality as p2p and no p2p quality has not gone down, it is leaps and bounds better than the quality of games in yesteryear.  We are all just used to the mechnics so we are bored of them but the quality is way better.

For all those stating that p2p means that developers have to put more and better content to keep someone paying and playing, that is the most rediculous of all claims.  When you sub, they have you at minimum for a month, yes they do need to have quality and conent to keep you for another month.  F2p and b2p is no different.  If the game isn't fun, you won't play, if they there is nothing in the cs you want, you won't pay.  IMO f2p has a much greater dependance on making the game fun and at the same time attactive enough to buy.   Too much of a grind, they won't play or pay, too much of a gap in power between f2p and cs, they won't play or pay. 

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

nariusseldon

Elite Member

2/07/13 10:37:29 PM#44
Originally posted by Briansho
Wow I thought World of Warcraft was supposed to bypass 14 million subscribers by now. I never thought they would be down to 10. I think people are starting to move to F2P games to get their 2 hour fix.

WOW is an old game. I quite back in Dec. It was fun for a few years .. and that is phenomenal, but everything gets boring after a while.

And even at 10M, it is still the biggest sub MMO (although if you count active players, LOL is bigger).

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search