Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,311 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,239,305
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » If a hypothetical Pokemon MMO ever came into existence...

11 posts found
  User Deleted

OP  1/31/13 1:31:47 AM#1
...and ignoring the existence of fan Pokemon MMOs, and the fact that Nintendo would never go through with it for a variety of reasons (and considering they tend to favor local online over fully online for some inexplicable reason), how do you think the battle system would be implemented, since it was mostly designed for 4 players tops?
  cloud8521

Novice Member

1/31/13 1:38:42 AM#2
Originally posted by Yakkin
...and ignoring the existence of fan Pokemon MMOs, and the fact that Nintendo would never go through with it for a variety of reasons (and considering they tend to favor local online over fully online for some inexplicable reason), how do you think the battle system would be implemented, since it was mostly designed for 4 players tops?

they could make it real time order based. you throw a pokeball, and order your pokemon  to do one of 4 attacks, and the battle is  done by your npc  pokemon. you can oder it to fall back so you can heal or return it to its pokeball. battles can happen in real time, but attacks will need time to pull off, depening on each attack.  quick attack will pull off quick but be weak and such.  this will make those status effects more usefull and defence  skills will be more fun to use.

you would also be able to tell what distance to try and keep. would be fun to see

also player gym leaders

monochrome19

Apprentice Member

1/31/13 1:38:58 AM#3

Depends...

Would the game be 3 or 2d?

User Deleted

OP  1/31/13 1:42:27 AM#4
Originally posted by monochrome19

Depends...

Would the game be 3 or 2d?

Whichever you think would be more interesting.

Mtibbs1989

Elite Member

1/31/13 1:53:42 AM#5

I personally would be interested in this idea; however I don't believe 3D would be the way to go about doing it. For example Digimon Masters Online is 3D and it's not the greatest. I'd like to see a 2.5D version with Cell shading; something like Zelda Wind Waker. It'd be fairly simple to create artistically and if done properly the games graphics would age properly. On top of that it would require lower system requirements for the customers which means a larger potential.

However, they'd have to do something refreshing with the game. for the most part pokemon games are the same exact rehashes with new creatures to collect. There has to be more to it than the typical Pokemon title.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

laokoko

Hard Core Member

1/31/13 1:59:13 AM#6

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of pokemon clone mmorpg.  Maybe for iphone ipad or whatever? just need to look around.

Stoneage I played for a bit, kind of like a pokemon cloned mmorpg.

User Deleted

OP  1/31/13 2:00:32 AM#7
Originally posted by laokoko

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of pokemon clone mmorpg.  Maybe for iphone ipad or whatever? just need to look around.

Stoneage I played for a bit, kind of like a pokemon cloned mmorpg.

HYPOTHETICAL, and disregarding ANY fan MMO and any game that is like a Pokemon Single Player with Chatroom slapped on.

monochrome19

Apprentice Member

1/31/13 2:00:57 AM#8

If it were in real time i guess they would have to implement  a dodge and or guard feature. But there are so many variables that its hard to say. Would battles be 'instanced' like the 2d version? can you control the pokemon?  My guess is it'd function like Warlock pets in WoW. I've actually tried ro make a monster catchin game like pokemon, so this is something i really want to discuss in greater detail. But its 2am here so i'll come back later.

Edeus

Novice Member

1/31/13 9:18:04 AM#9

Part of what made pokemon great against your friends was the fact that we were all kids and didn't think of everything we could do with the pokemon, and exploring all the dif things, etc. etc.

An MMO would destroy that entirely, esp now that we are ADULTS!!!  We would all figure out the winning team, which skills to counter which pokemon, lvl our entire team to 99, and argue about whether haunter is worth trading and evolving to Gengar...  no thanks!

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

Quizzical

Guide

1/31/13 10:20:08 AM#10
I imagine that it would play out a lot like combat in Wizard 101.
  Loktofeit

Elite Member

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, Project Gorgon, and Combat Arms

1/31/13 10:39:36 AM#11
Originally posted by Yakkin

Possibly similar to Get7, Sword Girls, or the CCGs in other games like Clone Wars Adventures and Free Realms. Very probably similar to Wizard 101.

"And wikipedia is as accurate as Britannica. Wikipedia is very reliable. You would be hard pressed to find a more reliable source for these kinds of things." -fivoroth