Trending Games | Pirate101 | ArcheAge | Wasteland 2 | Destiny

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,858,463 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,243,751
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Do today's gamer's even play MMO's for PVE anymore or is it all about ganking and pvp now?

12 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
235 posts found
  Aeonblades

Apprentice Member

Joined: 10/12/12
Posts: 2123

1/29/13 10:48:56 AM#21
Originally posted by vorpal28

I normally only play PVE, and I don't bother with PVP, but for 2 exceptions.

Asherons Call PvP rocked, infact if I remember rightly yhte game was meant to be released as a PVP game, but they changed thier minds at the 11thhour as they thought it might be niche, and so made it a PVE with PVP (though did have a dedicated PVP server that rocked)

And the my favourite, but bugged to hell and back, game, SHADOWBANE! love SB was a great game in it's time, getting massive amounts of poeple together to siege a castle ROCKED, man I miss SB subbed till the day it closed RIP SB.

 

Other than that no to PVP, tried WoW PVP and getting ganked by a little kid, then spending the time to learn the pvp so I can beat the little kid only to have his dad come online and rage that I'd beaten his little kiddy really turned me off, was fun to pwn the fuck out of the kid though LOL

Shadowbane was the most ambitious MMO project I have seen. It's a shame no one has picked up the idea again. I loved that game, and my winged Templar raining hell from above.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
Have played: You name it
If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

  dave6660

Hard Core Member

Joined: 9/26/08
Posts: 2344

"Next time I see you, remind me not to talk to you."

1/29/13 10:53:06 AM#22
Originally posted by Biskop
The whole premise of the thread is wrong. Practically all current AAA games are PvE centric, with PvP tacked on as a side dish.

But I guess the op think having 95% of the market catering to his tastes isn't enough.. .

Yeah it does take the expression, "crying with a loaf a bread under each arm" to whole different level.

 

"Why so serious?"
-- The Joker

  User Deleted
1/29/13 10:54:29 AM#23
Acctaully i think a chinese company bought the shadowbane IP.
  Dreamo84

Defender of Worlds

Joined: 5/20/04
Posts: 2993

I actually still like MMORPGs

1/29/13 10:56:02 AM#24
Most of the kids who started with WoW are adults now. People need to stop talking about all the kids that started with WoW. lol

  User Deleted
1/29/13 11:01:34 AM#25
Originally posted by Fendel84M
Most of the kids who started with WoW are adults now. People need to stop talking about all the kids that started with WoW. lol

Yet they still believe they are "Gods of pvp" because they had high arena score.... funny

 

UO, that was proper PVP with real death penaltys. Looted, lost ur horse, and you have to run naked and humiliated back to town to get a resurrection from the healer.

Atleast it was based on player skill, not ur stupid gear.

  tordurbar

Apprentice Member

Joined: 5/02/10
Posts: 399

1/29/13 11:04:35 AM#26
Originally posted by mmoDAD

WoW literally brought all the kids to the genre.

 

In the early days (UO, EQ, SWG, DAoC), most MMO gamers were "nerds" and adults. The overall attitude was mostly passive. There was still ganking etc, but it wasn't second nature to all.

WoW released. It was a much more dumbed down version of any MMO ever experienced. It wasn't bad or anything, but just simpler. It ended up spreading like wildfire within the middle school / high school community. It's just that the Newer Generation of kids are all prissy and sassy.

I literally cannot stand this generation of kids. When I see that damn Justin Beiber haircut, I just want to rage and bury my fist right in their face... over and over and over and over again.

 

Bro & Brah...     Idiot Language.

WOW brought in kids? Bull feces. Vanilla WOW brought in the adults that were not nerds. It brought in wowen in numbers. Barrens Chat notwithstanding WOW had more adults in it than any other mmo at the time. CATA is where things went downhill. Blizzard dumbed WOW down and the player bases tilted toward the lowest common denominator. They may not all be kids, but the maturity level is close to it.

Back to the point. I play for pve. I just finished my time with GW2, which I enjoyed immensely, without doing a single minute of pvp. If ANET had not put in forced grouping to complete the Dailies I would still be there.

  sakinah

Novice Member

Joined: 10/29/03
Posts: 39

1/29/13 11:05:14 AM#27

The problem isnt pvp..The problem to me is that today  its all about harassing/ganking/insulting/trolling/greifing...Back in the days ppl would congratulate each other on thier acomplishment.Today they just insult/troll you for every little thing you fail.(Dota/LoL/HoN anyone?) :p

I love pvp in mmo or in any game in general but i really dont like this trend of  "I FKIN OWND YOU BITCH!I FKED YOUR MOM LAST NIGHT!YEAH!!!".

I think its poisonus and is slowly transforming totaly decent players into trolls.

If anything i want more pvp in my mmos but i just dont like the kind of crowd that it brings haha.

 

  Lovely_Laly

Novice Member

Joined: 11/02/10
Posts: 736

game is also real

1/29/13 11:05:45 AM#28

I like PvE but run out content too soon now with new games...sad
PvP I loved most at GW and WoW, we got lot of fun back in time.

So far I never tried PvP servers and I think it's for reason: most of f2p sell you might for PvP.

Keep waiting for game with large content, but may be I dream too much..

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

  karmath

Apprentice Member

Joined: 8/24/05
Posts: 843

1/29/13 11:06:20 AM#29
Originally posted by Isturi

It seems that todays gamers are just for pvp and ganking anymore. It seems that lore and pve has taken a back seat with MMO gaming anymore. Do gamers of today even care about lore or pve or do they perfer to just get the game role a class and go out and try to gank someone for a cheap thrill? I get the impresion that DEV are catering most MMO games now to the pvp crowd.

Am I wrong?

 

Please name one AAA mmo that does not feature PvE as its main content.

  User Deleted
1/29/13 11:07:12 AM#30
Originally posted by sakinah

The problem isnt pvp..The problem to me is that today  its all about harassing/ganking/insulting/trolling/greifing...Back in the days ppl would congratulate each other on thier acomplishment.Today they just insult/troll you for every little thing you fail.(Dota/LoL/HoN anyone?) :p

I love pvp in mmo or in any game in general but i really dont like this trend of  "I FKIN OWND YOU BITCH!I FKED YOUR MOM LAST NIGHT!YEAH!!!".

I think its poisonus and is slowly transforming totaly decent players into trolls.

If anything i want more pvp in my mmos but i just dont like the kind of crowd that it brings haha.

 

Welcome to the new generation of MMO players. "a.k.a the WoW kiddos" :) 

  RefMinor

Novice Member

Joined: 7/16/11
Posts: 3542

Hipster

1/29/13 11:13:04 AM#31
Originally posted by Biskop
The whole premise of the thread is wrong. Practically all current AAA games are PvE centric, with PvP tacked on as a side dish.

But I guess the op think having 95% of the market catering to his tastes isn't enough.. .

This, and if the near future has some OWPvP games coming out, then it's the fault of the PvE players for getting bored of their PvE content and moving on to another game leading the developers to aim at a neglected sector of the market.

  RefMinor

Novice Member

Joined: 7/16/11
Posts: 3542

Hipster

1/29/13 11:15:34 AM#32
Originally posted by sakinah

 

I love pvp in mmo or in any game in general but i really dont like this trend of  "I FKIN OWND YOU BITCH!I FKED YOUR MOM LAST NIGHT!YEAH!!!".

 

That sadly is one of the dangers of playing MMOs with your Dad.

  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

Joined: 11/21/11
Posts: 7246

1/29/13 11:20:35 AM#33
All I know is I've had a lot more FUN in pvp guilds.

Hardcore Pve guilds are too much like WORK, you have to turn up at fixed times, you have to work with arseholes, you get screamed at by your 19 year old "boss" on vent.

For a long time the hardcore raiders have been the squeekiest wheel that gets oiled on mmo forums despite being only about 5% of mmo players, probably because many big mmos are managed by raiders, e.g. wow / rift / eq.

But I've the times changing lately with casual players, pvpers, ecconomy centrist players etc.. getting a bit more proportional slice of the pie.

And the hardcores don't like it, hence they jump all over every single bloody beta of a game trying to get pvp marginalised and shoved into the background. It's a bit like if you spoil your kids for 8 years then turn around and ask them to earn their pocket money.
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

Joined: 11/21/11
Posts: 7246

1/29/13 11:22:28 AM#34
Is this trash talk thing an American thing? I don't see it on eu ps2 servers or gw2 or ages back war even.
  BaneInsane

Advanced Member

Joined: 8/17/09
Posts: 12

1/29/13 11:23:49 AM#35

i just stick to PVE.

  apocoluster

Apprentice Member

Joined: 4/15/07
Posts: 1297

\m/,

1/29/13 11:24:20 AM#36
  Total carebear here.  Haven't  pvp'd in a MMO in 3 years.  I play world of tanks  for my Pvp action

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

  RefMinor

Novice Member

Joined: 7/16/11
Posts: 3542

Hipster

1/29/13 11:26:23 AM#37
Originally posted by BaneInsane

i dont Jerk off on PKing those weaker then me so i just stick to PVE.

A good PvP game, designed that way from the ground up, is rarely like that. That issue is generally to be found in the PvP servers of a PvE designed game.

  iamthekiller

Novice Member

Joined: 1/13/06
Posts: 99

1/29/13 11:29:15 AM#38
Originally posted by mmoDAD

WoW literally brought all the kids to the genre.

 

In the early days (UO, EQ, SWG, DAoC), most MMO gamers were "nerds" and adults. The overall attitude was mostly passive. There was still ganking etc, but it wasn't second nature to all.

WoW released. It was a much more dumbed down version of any MMO ever experienced. It wasn't bad or anything, but just simpler. It ended up spreading like wildfire within the middle school / high school community. It's just that the Newer Generation of kids are all prissy and sassy.

I literally cannot stand this generation of kids. When I see that damn Justin Beiber haircut, I just want to rage and bury my fist right in their face... over and over and over and over again.

 

Bro & Brah...     Idiot Language.

Wow did indeed bring many new people to the genre...of all different ages. The thing is though, even though these people act like kids...many of them are not even close to "kids"...they are fully grown adults that just choose to act immature over the net. Still wow did definately open up the genre to the type you describe..

However, I don't think your attitude is much better..your posts stinks of elitism and generalization...if thats the hallmark of the older generation then you know...throwing stones and all.

  Dreamo84

Defender of Worlds

Joined: 5/20/04
Posts: 2993

I actually still like MMORPGs

1/29/13 11:30:06 AM#39
Originally posted by sakinah

The problem isnt pvp..The problem to me is that today  its all about harassing/ganking/insulting/trolling/greifing...Back in the days ppl would congratulate each other on thier acomplishment.Today they just insult/troll you for every little thing you fail.(Dota/LoL/HoN anyone?) :p

I love pvp in mmo or in any game in general but i really dont like this trend of  "I FKIN OWND YOU BITCH!I FKED YOUR MOM LAST NIGHT!YEAH!!!".

I think its poisonus and is slowly transforming totaly decent players into trolls.

If anything i want more pvp in my mmos but i just dont like the kind of crowd that it brings haha.

 

FPS players and mentality are infecting the RPG market. And it's silly to blame the kids because I feel most of them are adults. I know some hardcore FPS players and thats the kind of atttitude they have.

  Loktofeit

Elite Member

Joined: 1/13/10
Posts: 12276

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, Project Gorgon, and Combat Arms

1/29/13 11:31:06 AM#40
Originally posted by Isturi

It seems that todays gamers are just for pvp and ganking anymore. It seems that lore and pve has taken a back seat with MMO gaming anymore. Do gamers of today even care about lore or pve or do they perfer to just get the game role a class and go out and try to gank someone for a cheap thrill? I get the impresion that DEV are catering most MMO games now to the pvp crowd.

Am I wrong?

Very wrong. So wrong, that I am really curious what, if anything, your post was based on.

 

"And wikipedia is as accurate as Britannica. Wikipedia is very reliable. You would be hard pressed to find a more reliable source for these kinds of things." -fivoroth

12 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search