Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | Landmark | Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,851,170 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,224,722
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Cross GAME social & grouping functionality ... beyond single game single server community

7 posts found
  nariusseldon

Elite Member

OP  1/27/13 8:26:13 PM#1

If you look at posts asking what people are playing here, it is very often people are playing multiple games and MMOs.

Wouldn't it be nice that games would support cross-GAME social functions (chat, friend-list, inspect ...) and grouping?

There is no reason why communities are limited to single games, single servers.

WOW is already having cross server grouping to break away from this shackle. Battle net has *some* cross game functionality that is really nice. I can whisper someone playing SC2 from inside WOW. I can have the same friend list across SC2, D3 and WOW. Have you ask a guildie to come inside WOW to help when he is playing Diablo3?

It would be even nicer if i can see a friend playing a different game, and join him in that other game seamlessly without logging in and out. Or even queue in multiple games, and play whatever pop up first.

Unfortunately that probably won't happen for games not developed by the same company.

I suppose Steam and Xfire can fill some of the social function features.

Ichmen

Apprentice Member

hatred enriches.life is a prison, death a release.

1/27/13 8:31:12 PM#2

steam/raptr/xfire/ect all support live chat while gaming or close to. 

kinda hard to expect a WoW chat server to connect to a counter strike chat server and visa versa.. while it would be nice, i dont see it really all that effective for the costs required to set it up :/ 

only reason steam's works is its basicly a msn chat popup via the steam overlay when you launch a game on steam. but it only effects steam to steam not steam to facebook.. or whatever :/

i could see battle.net doing something like that for just battle net  games. sc/wc/wow ect but then that would only effect people using that service and frankly if you are msging someone on wow 10-1 you are also playing wow so why not just pm ingame :/

CPU: Intel Core i7 CPU 860 2.8GHz
Evga GeForce 670 FTW
Evga P55 SLI

<

Quirhid

Hard Core Member

Correcting wrongs on the Internet...

1/27/13 8:34:19 PM#3

Steam, Xbox live and Games for Windows - Live, Windows Live or Windows 8 or whatever its contemporary on the PC is, are doing rouhgly that; however, it would be tricky to bring all games under the same system so that a game could be changed "on the fly" as you suggest.

I think Steam has a long lead on the competition in this. It started out rough but now they've done amazingly well.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

nariusseldon

Elite Member

OP  1/27/13 8:37:33 PM#4
Originally posted by Ichmen

steam/raptr/xfire/ect all support live chat while gaming or close to. 

kinda hard to expect a WoW chat server to connect to a counter strike chat server and visa versa.. while it would be nice, i dont see it really all that effective for the costs required to set it up :/ 

only reason steam's works is its basicly a msn chat popup via the steam overlay when you launch a game on steam. but it only effects steam to steam not steam to facebook.. or whatever :/

i could see battle.net doing something like that for just battle net  games. sc/wc/wow ect but then that would only effect people using that service and frankly if you are msging someone on wow 10-1 you are also playing wow so why not just pm ingame :/

Currently, if a friend of mine log into SC2, i got notified when i am in WOW or D3. I can use the SAME chat window to chat with him.

I know that you can just use MSN chat. However, that is not integrated into games. You don't know what they are doing, and in what game. It would be much more user friendly, for example, if i can see my friend runnign dungeon x, from another game, and ask to join him.

This can be done in D3, WOW and Sc2 (for example, i can see what WOW zone my friend is in when i am playing D3), probably because they are all blizz games. Too bad this kind of cross game function is probably not going to be there for a larger set of games.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

OP  1/27/13 8:39:11 PM#5
Originally posted by Quirhid

Steam, Xbox live and Games for Windows - Live, Windows Live or Windows 8 or whatever its contemporary on the PC is, are doing rouhgly that; however, it would be tricky to bring all games under the same system so that a game could be changed "on the fly" as you suggest.

I think Steam has a long lead on the competition in this. It started out rough but now they've done amazingly well.

Do you know if steam let you see what game your friend is playing?

I also see another issue. Usually you make friends in-game ... like i played a D3 dungeon with a bunch of people .. and like one enough to become friends. However, you cannot put them in a cross-game friend list in game.

Even with steam, you have to bring up the steam interface, right? That is probably why i have never use it before.

Quirhid

Hard Core Member

Correcting wrongs on the Internet...

1/27/13 9:21:11 PM#6
Originally posted by nariusseldon

Do you know if steam let you see what game your friend is playing?

I also see another issue. Usually you make friends in-game ... like i played a D3 dungeon with a bunch of people .. and like one enough to become friends. However, you cannot put them in a cross-game friend list in game.

Even with steam, you have to bring up the steam interface, right? That is probably why i have never use it before.

Yes, and if you own that game you can join him/her (if the game is a multiplayer game that is). Say, my friend fires up his Steam copy of Chivalry: a small pop up appears in the bottom right on my screen saying "John is playing Chivalry." With a couple of clicks I can launch Chivalry and the game tries to join directly, skipping the menus, into the same server John is on.

And say if the server is full, Steam will que for it without launching the game. In the meanwhile, some games allow you to check whos on the server, and perhaps even their current score in the match. Once there's room, Steam will launch the game and join the server. I can also send invites to my friends to join my game lobby/server. No need to enter IP adresses or browse servers.

Again, years back, this and many other features didn't work at all, and the invasive nature of Steam was quite annoying. But they've managed to iron out all the kinks and I'm quite impressed with it now.

I'm surprised you didn't know this. This functionality has long been available. However, It is true that some games are better integrated with Steam than others. One good example would be Shogun 2: Total War. I've received a number of Steam-friend, clan and community requests within that game alone. Then there are games that have nothing to do with Steam other than use it as a launch platform. Still at the very least, people can see you're playing said game.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

nariusseldon

Elite Member

OP  1/28/13 1:00:13 PM#7

I'm surprised you didn't know this. This functionality has long been available. However, It is true that some games are better integrated with Steam than others. One good example would be Shogun 2: Total War. I've received a number of Steam-friend, clan and community requests within that game alone. Then there are games that have nothing to do with Steam other than use it as a launch platform. Still at the very least, people can see you're playing said game.

That is probably because I don't do much multiplayer on STEAM. Most of my MP games are blizz ones (D3 and WOW). I use to play STO on its standalone clients. And i just recently move my STO into steam (easily to have everything in one place).

May be i will take some time to investigate steam's social features.

At the end of the day, this is the kind of thing to make playing with a community better. Too bad battlenet is not integrated into steam. I really hate it when these things are fragmented.