Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,768,816 Users Online:0
Games:720  Posts:6,186,816
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Lets figure this out: How can we improve the community?

13 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
258 posts found
  Divona

Advanced Member

1/26/13 9:53:15 PM#21

There's a good point here about Guild Wars 2 being build toward more of co-op gameplay rather play against each other about loot stealing and such. However, the community still getting attack by the non-players who simply find the game is not suitable to their playstyle and want it to be burn.

As there is no subscription fee, they can still be in game and grief people emotionally, as the game already been brought. Thankfully, there is not many way to machanically grief people in the game. Occationally, there still bad chat which is turn up from time to time. People on the forum got flame because they like the game, and they doesn't.

I think it is come down to how the game design their gameplay to reward good behavior, and punish player for being bad. But then imagine all the flame the game will get from PvP player, or player who like to grief/bully and think it is fine because it is just a game.

Divona

Advanced Member

1/26/13 9:55:47 PM#22
Originally posted by LadyEuphei
Originally posted by jjmuggs
Where are the parents? My son plays MMO's. Has for a few years now and hes in many of the same games/guilds I am. Please note I am most def not father of the year nor will I be anytime soon, but I have told him if I had ever heard of him being an asshat, for lack of better terminology, his solo online gaming days were over. Hes 14 now, and I have yet to have a problem In my world, courtesy and respect never go out of style. I dont care if we disagree, but we can certainly do it in a civil manner. Unfortunately you need look no further than politics to see the venom and intolerance that has leeched into all aspects of life, games included. If my kids as ass...I blame me, If he grows up to be a little douchbag I will have to look at myself first.

LOL! Omg you guard you son from being an ass hat...I could not stop laugh after that line! You might be the father of the year sir, better get your speech ready I am voting for you!

I do believe you are coming to a very good point. It could be that culturally we are not being taught how to act on the internet. Our parents were "internet noobs" and thus had no idea how to guide us with it. Now that it is a part of everyones lives it should be taught to not be an a**hat on it. That is a possible solution. Teaching the youth to be respectable in reality and when virtual. 

Keep the ideas coming I love brain storming!

+1 this. Where are the parent!

Goatgod76

Novice Member

1/26/13 9:59:17 PM#23

Maybe some of the moderators for this site should start looking through the posting history of some of it's older members and see who may make good member-moderators for the site. One's that post frequently with the least biased and trollish demenor (Most site/topic perdinent posting history. Members dedictaed to such a goal of ridding the garbage) and let them start erasing inflamatory posts, issuing warnings, and if a couple warnings are given let them be able to bump the issue up to the actual site moderators for possible banning. Take some of the weight off the website mods and put a tighter grip on the a-hats.

Of course yes, this could be abused...but that's why they really look at who they give such responsibility. Better than their current lack of moderatoin on a reasonable scale.

And yes....and honor system would be good. Maybe through that if the member is issued 3 warnings they get banned instantly for a given time, if not permenantly. I'm not sure how web access works myself...but would it be possible to ban an IP?

BitterClinger

Apprentice Member

2014 Watch List: World of Warships, Wildstar Online

1/26/13 10:00:52 PM#24

What can we do?  When I find myself in a bad neighborhood, I get out.  I don't want to fix the "a**hats" because there is WAY more of them than I have time to deal with them.

I LOVED Ultima Online. I was a member of the Burning Heart guild on Great Lakes. I loved the role-playing with guild mates and other RP guilds. I loved the many different things there were to do in the world. Of course, once BH disbanded, I realized I was actually in a bad neighborhood surrounded by a bunch of a**hats. So I left the game to 'em and never looked back.

A non-a**hat guild doesn't sound very effective.  I prefer "self-segregating" populations.

Top Games Played JAN 2014: World of Warplanes, Guild Wars 2, World of Tanks

User Deleted
1/26/13 10:03:25 PM#25

Start with a small group of people in an MMO, and expand outwards?

Daxamar

Advanced Member

1/26/13 10:03:43 PM#26
Originally posted by Divona
Originally posted by jjmuggs
Where are the parents? My son plays MMO's. Has for a few years now and hes in many of the same games/guilds I am. Please note I am most def not father of the year nor will I be anytime soon, but I have told him if I had ever heard of him being an asshat, for lack of better terminology, his solo online gaming days were over. Hes 14 now, and I have yet to have a problem In my world, courtesy and respect never go out of style. I dont care if we disagree, but we can certainly do it in a civil manner. Unfortunately you need look no further than politics to see the venom and intolerance that has leeched into all aspects of life, games included. If my kids as ass...I blame me, If he grows up to be a little douchbag I will have to look at myself first.

LOL! Omg you guard you son from being an ass hat...I could not stop laugh after that line! You might be the father of the year sir, better get your speech ready I am voting for you!

I do believe you are coming to a very good point. It could be that culturally we are not being taught how to act on the internet. Our parents were "internet noobs" and thus had no idea how to guide us with it. Now that it is a part of everyones lives it should be taught to not be an a**hat on it. That is a possible solution. Teaching the youth to be respectable in reality and when virtual. 

Keep the ideas coming I love brain storming!

+1 this. Where are the parent!

+10. I know I played with my son since he was only 11. In Evequest1 no less. I dont mind that kids play. Some are very mature. 

Im an old fart at gaming. I usally dont get involved in area chat or trade chats. I keep to my guild and we have fun. I DO report something or someone when they get way out of line.

When you ignore the hate, racism, sexist, homophobic remarks your life is much easier. By ignore I mean just report it and move on. :)

User Deleted
1/26/13 10:08:37 PM#27

You cannot regulate the internet, the moment you try, you will lose.

Same goes for the gaming community, that's the strength of it.

Trolls come in all forms, some are pure evil, others smile saying they are here to help. Regardless, you can't control either, only be entertained.

LadyEuphei

Novice Member

OP  1/26/13 10:10:01 PM#28
Originally posted by Goatgod76

Maybe some of the moderators for this site should start looking through the posting history of some of it's older members and see who may make good member-moderators for the site. One's that post frequently with the least biased and trollish demenor (Most site/topic perdinent posting history. Members dedictaed to such a goal of ridding the garbage) and let them start erasing inflamatory posts, issuing warnings, and if a couple warnings are given let them be able to bump the issue up to the actual site moderators for possible banning. Take some of the weight off the website mods and put a tighter grip on the a-hats.

Of course yes, this could be abused...but that's why they really look at who they give such responsibility. Better than their current lack of moderatoin on a reasonable scale.

And yes....and honor system would be good. Maybe through that if the member is issued 3 warnings they get banned instantly for a given time, if not permenantly. I'm not sure how web access works myself...but would it be possible to ban an IP?

I like this, it is like a hybrid! Kinda like the League of legends report system with a community involvment/ time enhancer. Maybe take members that have proven they are loyal to help with weeding through the general populace. I stil think that iot should be pushed to a offical moderator no matter what though.

LadyEuphei

Novice Member

OP  1/26/13 10:10:41 PM#29
Originally posted by Rider071

Trolls come in all forms, some are pure evil, others smile saying they are here to help. Regardless, you can't control either, only be entertained.

No regulation, just improving! We are healing not incriminating!

jtcgs

Advanced Member

1/26/13 10:18:38 PM#30

Want a fix? Go watch the movie Jay and Silent Bob strike back...wait for the end.

That is what it will take.

Force the "anon" out of the internet, make everything take your real life name, have your address and phone number tied to everything...then hire two guys to go around and beat the piss out of anyone that talks smack.

In other words, not going to happen, people are jerks in real life so there will be jerks online and the way to minimize it will require a massive change to the internet itself...and worse yet, then you have these whiney crybabies that moan and groan at people who voice a differing opinion and act like everyone should pretend to like everything or not speak...they are just as much a posion to the community as the rest.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Fearum

Hard Core Member

1/26/13 10:21:11 PM#31

Some times things can't be healed and just need to be put down.

User Deleted
1/26/13 10:24:00 PM#32
Originally posted by Fearum

Some times things can't be healed and just need to be put down.

if you attack an amoebea, it just eats you.

Leave it alone, and it eventually evolves.

jimdandy26

Apprentice Member

1/26/13 10:28:41 PM#33
I honestly believe the answer is real ID. Blizzard was very much on the right track in my mind. The only real concession would be screen name versus real life name but only to have that outlet that many want. Lock everyone to a single account to use across the internet as a hole. People would cut down on the majority of bullshit if there were actual real consequences for their actions. Would it stop all of it, most certainly not (no system can) but just as in the real world the vast majority of it would disapear.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

bcbully

Elite Member

1/26/13 10:30:07 PM#34

Subtract stars for use of buzz words and phrases. Words like -

amazing 

on rails

clunky

gear treadmill

no-lifers

grinder

etc..

This will make people expand on ther thoughts and be more decriptive in there likes and criticisms.

User Deleted
1/26/13 10:30:32 PM#35

Get a time machine and go back to the good old times when only real gamers were playing :)

Problem solved.

This generation of gamers is acting like cool but is completely the opossite, and so braindead.

edit: Reason you have these unwanted personalities is cause the games are getting more and more dumbed down and are so easy it's like inviting them here.

ArChWind

Hard Core Member

1/26/13 10:36:07 PM#36

My sig says it all about the internet but as for games such as these the ideal solution, which is not always done, is to bring back the in game GM to keep the peace.

The iron sphere turns.

LadyEuphei

Novice Member

OP  1/26/13 10:44:16 PM#37
Originally posted by bcbully

amazing 

on rails

clunky

gear treadmill

no-lifers

grinder

etc..

This will make people expand on ther thoughts and be more decriptive in there likes and criticisms.

Is this guy a bot? I have no idea what he is saying?

maplestone

Novice Member

1/26/13 10:48:20 PM#38

One of the biggest sources of friction I see in online communities is when we fail to seperate the community into indviduals - it's too much to keep track of hundreds of different voices in a conversation and at a certain point, our minds start simplifying the entire community into a small collection of abstract stereotypes and then start reacting to these fictional abstractions instead of the individuals we are talking to.  This leads to lashing out a person B for something person A did/said and a chain reaction of bad feelings ensues.

User Deleted
1/26/13 10:50:02 PM#39

amazing 

on rails

clunky

gear treadmill

no-lifers

grinder

etc..

I think the person is talking about forum community, with a buzzword catcher that reduces community ranking based on use of cliche terms.

bcbully

Elite Member

1/26/13 10:50:09 PM#40

amazing 

on rails

clunky

gear treadmill

no-lifers

grinder

etc..

That's not nice... I was speaking of the mmorpg.com community in specifically. geez not cool at all.

13 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search