Trending Games | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft | EverQuest Next

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,800 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,241,982
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Minecraft makes fools of MMO companies

8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
143 posts found
  eddieg50

Advanced Member

1/24/13 5:10:56 PM#61
LOL-minecraft is like doodling, you draw pretty pictures you ohh and ahhh but in the end you do not take it seriously
  kadepsyson

Novice Member

The doctors say his chances are 50/50...but there's only a 10% chance of that.

1/24/13 5:15:40 PM#62
Originally posted by eddieg50
LOL-minecraft is like doodling, you draw pretty pictures you ohh and ahhh but in the end you do not take it seriously

Have you ever heard of this thing called art?  You know, where they draw pretty pictures sometimes and hundreds of years later are still talked about?

Also, it is very funny to me that you think it's laughable as a game, but that millions, nearly 20 million people, consider it worth buying.  Compare that to some of the latest big MMO releases and...

El Psy Congroo

Aelious

Elite Member

World > Quest Progression

1/24/13 5:50:14 PM#63
I think the majority of people who don't play Minecraft have no idea of what it can do when plugins are taken into consideration. It's not their fault, you don't know what you don't know. What's funny is that from a general MMO standpoint the combat is the only thing really holding it back for most people.

If we're talking about MMO considerations let's be realistic. If Mojang hosted it's own servers it would be an MMO. Last time I checked the only limitation to characters sharing a persistent world was server hardware specs and java limitations. With unlimited hardware there could be over a billion players in one world. It's far more "MMO" than LoL or WoT will ever be. Not that makes a difference one way or another.
  kadepsyson

Novice Member

1/24/13 5:54:36 PM#64

Relevant!

Even without plugins people do amazing things in Minecraft, from recognizable structures to complex functional redstone circuits.

El Psy Congroo

Torvaldr

Elite Member

1/24/13 6:01:43 PM#65
Originally posted by kadepsyson
Originally posted by EccentricPenguin
minecraft also looks like an un-fun version of some backshelf b-title from the 20's.

Minecraft has also sold over 6 times as many copies as Guild Wars 2.  Over 18 million last I looked.  So it is rather funny to me when people say it looks un-fun and like a terrible game from the past, when a new game with supposed innovation and quality graphics (lol culling fail), sells far, far less, while costing much more to both produce and purchase.

Yeah, Minecraft.  Better selling, more innovative, and far more influential than GW2.

Super Mario for the NES sold over 40 million units.  It should be an MMO too and is better than any mmo and most single player games including elder scrolls, diablo, and minecraft.

Curse you AquaScum!

kadepsyson

Novice Member

1/24/13 6:03:55 PM#66
Originally posted by Torvaldr
minecraft also looks like an un-fun version of some backshelf b-title from the 20's.

Minecraft has also sold over 6 times as many copies as Guild Wars 2.  Over 18 million last I looked.  So it is rather funny to me when people say it looks un-fun and like a terrible game from the past, when a new game with supposed innovation and quality graphics (lol culling fail), sells far, far less, while costing much more to both produce and purchase.

Yeah, Minecraft.  Better selling, more innovative, and far more influential than GW2.

Super Mario for the NES sold over 40 million units.  It should be an MMO too and is better than any mmo and most single player games including elder scrolls, diablo, and minecraft.

Well I can see why it would be considered better than any mmo and most single player games.

I can also see it as being far more influential than Guild Wars 2.  (Shh, don't tell eyelolled)

El Psy Congroo

aRtFuLThinG

Hard Core Member

1/24/13 6:12:37 PM#67

Yeah Minecraft is actually equivalent to the David Braben's Elite of this generation of gamers - it will probably go down as one of the most influential games in this decade in gaming history (just like Elite did as going down as the one of the most influential games of all time).

I think most gamers should be glad to witness the birth of a new gaming genre like this.

dave6660

Hard Core Member

"Next time I see you, remind me not to talk to you."

1/24/13 6:22:13 PM#68

Whether you like the game or not you have to admit it was a big accomplishment for a single developer working on it mostly part time.

Independant developers are where the innovation is going to come from in this genre.

"Why so serious?"
-- The Joker

kadepsyson

Novice Member

1/24/13 6:24:34 PM#69
Originally posted by dave6660

Whether you like the game or not you have to admit it was a big accomplishment for a single developer working on it mostly part time.

Independant developers are where the innovation is going to come from in this genre.

You bring up an excellent point.  One person made Minecraft.

Minecraft is seeing use in schools as part of required education as well.  It's quite an accomplishment any company would have loved, but one person can claim this prize.

El Psy Congroo

laokoko

Hard Core Member

1/24/13 6:57:48 PM#70

ok so minecraft is a mmorpg?  I dont' see it at the mmorpg listing.

EccentricPenguin

Novice Member

It's Penguin Appreciation Day!

1/24/13 7:08:48 PM#71
Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

There is no computer (or even electronics) back in the 20s. If you are going to try to be sacastic, probably a good idea to least be a bit historically accurate (or at least not totally wrong or absurd) ;)

I agree with the OP, minecraft have outdone itself in ways that many big company mmos have not.

In terms of graphic... come on now, it is created by a one man army, seriously how much graphics do you really expect from such a conceptually simple but systematically complex game?

Yes I know there were no computers or electronics back in the 20's. That was the point.

aRtFuLThinG

Hard Core Member

1/24/13 7:10:31 PM#72

Yes I know there were no computers or electronics back in the 20's. That was the point.

Actually you kinda really had no point with that comment, lol if that's what you mean

EccentricPenguin

Novice Member

1/24/13 7:11:04 PM#73

Whether it sold over 6 times more copies as GW2 or 600 times more copies, just shows how much overpopulation is going on around the world, dang 3-10 age range of those players...It looks like crap, the things you build look like crap, so why do it? I honestly don't see how that game could be entertaining to anyone other than a small child. Like it was said earlier, just buy legos.

Razperil

Novice Member

Everything has it's time and its place, know yours?

1/24/13 7:12:45 PM#74
Originally posted by nariusseldon

Minecraft does not have fun combat to me. It is a non-starter. And most player created content is crap. I have seen my sons playing it with his friends .. they can't pay me to play their "content".

Sure, there are those who create novelty like putting a WOW city into Minecraft, or create the Starship enterprise, but anyone who think it can replace WOW is smoking crack.

It is just a different kind of game. It is only for people who want to build stuff, not those who like progression/combat MMOs.

It's not trying to replace Borecraft. It doesn't have to. Noone even said it was trying to.. (besides you of course.) I think it might be possible that it is you that is smoking the crack (I can't assume, just wonder). Stick with that carrot dangling other game. :)

Slampig

Hard Core Member

Whatever you do, do NOT speak ill of Asheron's Call 2...

1/24/13 7:13:06 PM#75
Originally posted by Xobdnas

So much time, money, and energy goes into filling the MMORPG game world with content, but the reality is (and Minecraft proves this) no matter how good the team, if you let the players build it the results will surpass your greatest expectations. I believe the old saying is do not teach a person to use a tool, give them the tool and be surprised by their innovation in using it. So MMORPG companies, when will you give us the empty world and the tools and turn us loose to make the greatest MMORPG of all time?

Yeah, because all those other sandbox games that have come out are doing gangbusters...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

kadepsyson

Novice Member

1/24/13 7:19:21 PM#76

Whether it sold over 6 times more copies as GW2 or 600 times more copies, just shows how much overpopulation is going on around the world, dang 3-10 age range of those players...It looks like crap, the things you build look like crap, so why do it? I honestly don't see how that game could be entertaining to anyone other than a small child. Like it was said earlier, just buy legos.

Even as a small child I knew it was LEGO.  I also knew the plural was LEGO.  It is not legos.

As for Minecraft, given that players can create as much as they can imagine and get as complex and impressive as they can think, I feel bad that you think the things that can be built are crap a 10 year old would do ;)

Also, that you can't see how any other person can enjoy something when millions do in fact purchase and enjoy it, is a failure of your own mind, not a problem of anyone elses making.

El Psy Congroo

kadepsyson

Novice Member

1/24/13 7:21:59 PM#77
Originally posted by laokoko

ok so minecraft is a mmorpg?  I dont' see it at the mmorpg listing.

Considering an individual minecraft server can hold thousands of players and some frequently hit 1000 users online, and that DOTA is listed but supports what, 10 people at once, yeah it should be on this list as much as many other titles should be.

El Psy Congroo

EccentricPenguin

Novice Member

1/24/13 7:24:53 PM#78

Even as a small child I knew it was LEGO.  I also knew the plural was LEGO.  It is not legos.

As for Minecraft, given that players can create as much as they can imagine and get as complex and impressive as they can think, I feel bad that you think the things that can be built are crap a 10 year old would do ;)

Also, that you can't see how any other person can enjoy something when millions do in fact purchase and enjoy it, is a failure of your own mind, not a problem of anyone elses making.

Which is correct as the plural of LEGO: 'Lego' or 'Legos'? Neither, actually. The word 'LEGO', when used as a noun, should only refer to the company that makes the product. Otherwise 'LEGO' is supposed to be used as an adjective. Thus, when referring to the pieces, neither 'lego' nor 'legos' is correct... rather one should say: 'LEGO bricks' or 'LEGO pieces' or whatever (using LEGO as an adjective -- and one should really capitalize all of the letters, and put the little 'circle-R' symbol after it (®)). This is all a matter of protecting the trademark of 'LEGO' for the company (using it otherwise degenerates the strength of the trademark). This is not to say that I use the word correctly 100% of the time... but that's the answer to the question (it's always fun/painful to read the near-flame-wars that start at slashdot.org over this topic... and generally, both sides are wrong).

Just had to throw that in there. Yes obviously people find it fun and purchase it, but apparently I cannot wrap my mind around why the hell someone would want to waste money on it.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

1/24/13 7:27:24 PM#79
Again spot the freeloaders who've only played free version of minecraft. ^^^^^
  kadepsyson

Novice Member

1/24/13 7:27:30 PM#80

Just had to throw that in there. Yes obviously people find it fun and purchase it, but apparently I cannot wrap my mind around why the hell someone would want to waste money on it.

Perhaps as with the case of many, many gamers, the spending of money on a fun game isn't a waste?  Especially one relatively inexpensive and with staggering possibilities, free patches and updates, as well as an active modding community?

Just a thought.  I did appreciate your explanation about LEGO at least.

El Psy Congroo

8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search