Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,393 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,239,712
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Let's list the games on this site that has no persistent world

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
64 posts found
  nariusseldon

Elite Member

OP  1/24/13 1:12:06 PM#41
Originally posted by dave6660
Originally posted by nariusseldon
Originally posted by dave6660

When did this become a "serious debate"?  Aren't you the one who constantly proclaims video games are purely entertainment?  Let's call a spade a spade, this is forum PvP, nothing more.

And "serious debate" is good entertainment, isn't it? So is this forum a persistent world, if we can pvp in it?

Haha!  If it is a persistant world, you can't put it on your list.  Plus, you'll get people asking for "end game" content.

Not "my" list .. it is a MMORPG.com list :P

"end game" content .. isn't THIS (forum pvp) end game content already? I don't see any more level progression .. do you?

Now we need some good gear to enhance my pvp powers .. i have the sword of google, and the shield of sarcasm, what do you have?

nariusseldon

Elite Member

OP  1/24/13 1:19:08 PM#42

Oh, i missed SMITE. One more to the list.

Anything else?

bliss14

Hard Core Member

Ahh devil ether.

1/24/13 1:28:47 PM#43
Tactica Online
  allendale5

Novice Member

1/24/13 1:45:17 PM#44
Wouldn't the reverse of this list be shorter?
  bliss14

Hard Core Member

Ahh devil ether.

1/24/13 1:48:41 PM#45
Terra Militaris
  nariusseldon

Elite Member

OP  1/24/13 1:55:17 PM#46
Originally posted by allendale5
Wouldn't the reverse of this list be shorter?

probably not. However, you are wlecomed to make the two lists and compare. I will, of course, concede the point if indeed the reverse of the list is shorter.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

OP  1/24/13 1:56:20 PM#47
Originally posted by bliss14
Terra Militaris

nice .. you seem to know some of these less well-known games. I will redo the master list. Thanks for the addition.

AutemOx

Novice Member

1/24/13 1:59:55 PM#48

GW1 can have hundreds of players in one non-combat area doing mini-games (holidays) and up to 32 players in combat areas (factions quests) so I think its ok to call it a MMORPG.   Definently on the boundaries of the term though so I don't blame anyone for calling it otherwise...  The devs themselves even play it safe and call it a CORPG.

Please do not remove Diablo 3 or GW1 from the website.  Both were ok games that deserve to be on this site because they are strong multiplayer RPGs with a central log in server.

The other games I mostly do not recognize.

You can't blame MMORPG.COM for trying to expand their reach a little...  There is only so much news and fans of mmorpg's, I think they feel tied down.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

OP  1/24/13 2:04:45 PM#49
Originally posted by wormywyrm

GW1 can have hundreds of players in one non-combat area doing mini-games (holidays) and up to 32 players in combat areas (factions quests) so I think its ok to call it a MMORPG.   Definently on the boundaries of the term though so I don't blame anyone for calling it otherwise...  The devs themselves even play it safe and call it a CORPG.

Please do not remove Diablo 3 or GW1 from the website.  Both were ok games that deserve to be on this site because they are strong multiplayer RPGs with a central log in server.

The other games I mostly do not recognize.

You can't blame MMORPG.COM for trying to expand their reach a little...  There is only so much news and fans of mmorpg's, I think they feel tied down.

I don't think MMORPG.com is going to remove these games. In fact, games like Diablo has a lot of common audience with MMOs like WOW, and the playstyle (click a button to do a dungeon) has a lot of similarities and overlaps.

The point of the list is to inform people which is which. Personally there are games listed by some here that i do not recognize. And now i can go check that out. So that pretty much accomplish one of my goals.

bliss14

Hard Core Member

Ahh devil ether.

1/24/13 3:53:15 PM#50
Absolute Terror
  Vhaln

Novice Member

1/24/13 4:03:56 PM#51

Have to admit, I've been disappointed with almost every MMO shooter.  Not because they're shooters, but because they are not MMOs.  They might as well just be your typical multiplayer game, with nothing but a matchmaking server, for individual matches.  The only thing that's persistent or massive is the collection of character stats and the like.  There's no massive world involved, at all.  

It's like if WoW had nothing but LFG queues and raids.  No other zones, not even Ogrimmar.  It wouldn't be an MMO.  Why is it that shooters get a pass for it?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

OP  1/24/13 4:07:48 PM#52
Originally posted by Vhaln

Have to admit, I've been disappointed with almost every MMO shooter.  Not because they're shooters, but because they are not MMOs.  They might as well just be your typical multiplayer game, with nothing but a matchmaking server, for individual matches.  The only thing that's persistent or massive is the collection of character stats and the like.  There's no massive world involved, at all.  

It's like if WoW had nothing but LFG queues and raids.  No other zones, not even Ogrimmar.  It wouldn't be an MMO.  Why is it that shooters get a pass for it?

PS2 has a big world.

Which shooters are you talking about? There aren't that many MMO shooters, right?

GrayGhost79

Novice Member

1/24/13 5:08:52 PM#53

PS2 has a big world.

Which shooters are you talking about? There aren't that many MMO shooters, right?

CrimeCraft, Global Agenda, War Z, PS2, Huxley, WW2 Online, Fallen Earth, War Rock. Hellgate London, Planetside 1, and thats pretty much just the tip of the iceberg. Most don't do well because they lack the persistent world MMO players want. Others have just been porely designed and fall off the radar and or close down. 

Vhaln

Novice Member

1/24/13 5:14:48 PM#54

PS2 has a big world.

Well, they're not really MMOs, and I guess that's kinda the point.  but there have been a number of them recently, that get advertised as such, and I've checked them out, only to lose interest as soon as I see that the only MMO part is a lobby screen.  I can't remember the names of some of the ones I tried, but for example, MWO and Hawken, Warframe, Tribes, Blacklight.. feels like the list goes on and on, some claiming to be MMOs more than others, but all of them following an almost identical lobby formula.

I'm not complaining about what they're called really.  It's more that I'm complaining because I'd love to see shooters that do have more of a big open world, more like Firefall.  Even PS2, it has a world, but it's the most paper thin gameworld I've ever seen in an MMO.  Might as well just be a giant instance, for how little it feels like a world, lacking even basic art assets that give any indication that there's any more going on there than bases to capture.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Phelcher

Advanced Member

1/24/13 5:35:09 PM#55
Por kid...

Narius, I neither agree, or disagree because the premis of the question is not germane to the website.

Do you think mcdonalds is the best hamburger..? If not, this the perfect place to discuss it, alomg with the other "serious" things you mention.. lol

Read my 3 point post again.. then let it sink in kid. You are unable to define lobby game, that is why ur troll is so weak. U run from post that directly rebuttal you. Take your troll to the non-mmorpg section.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

Quirhid

Hard Core Member

Correcting wrongs on the Internet...

1/24/13 6:33:42 PM#56
Originally posted by lizardbones

I never played GW1. Can you craft in the cities? What about NPC vendors and dueling other players?

* Could you pick up a quest, do all the steps of the quest and complete the quest within the confines of the persistent city?

• Only crafting GW1 had was armorcrafting and yes, that was mainly done in cities, towns and camps.
  • Overwhelming majority of NPC vendors were in cities, towns and camps.
  • The aforementioned areas were non-combat areas. No dueling.
  • Yes, you could pickup a quest and do all the steps all within a city, town or camp.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

nariusseldon

Elite Member

OP  1/25/13 1:51:50 PM#57

PS2 has a big world.

Well, they're not really MMOs, and I guess that's kinda the point.  but there have been a number of them recently, that get advertised as such, and I've checked them out, only to lose interest as soon as I see that the only MMO part is a lobby screen.  I can't remember the names of some of the ones I tried, but for example, MWO and Hawken, Warframe, Tribes, Blacklight.. feels like the list goes on and on, some claiming to be MMOs more than others, but all of them following an almost identical lobby formula.

I'm not complaining about what they're called really.  It's more that I'm complaining because I'd love to see shooters that do have more of a big open world, more like Firefall.  Even PS2, it has a world, but it's the most paper thin gameworld I've ever seen in an MMO.  Might as well just be a giant instance, for how little it feels like a world, lacking even basic art assets that give any indication that there's any more going fon there than bases to capture.

Oh .. those games. The lobby formula *is* popular because it let you just dive in and combat.

And i think that is the point. You don't need the "world feel" to make a good game. PS2 is a very focus game. There is the reason why there is nothing else .. it want to be the best shoot-the-other-guy big battle game. Sure, i don't think i can tell if PS2 is run on a large instanced with 1000 players, or a full persistent world. But why would i care if my goal is to have big battles?

nariusseldon

Elite Member

OP  1/25/13 1:52:58 PM#58
Originally posted by Quirhid
Originally posted by lizardbones

I never played GW1. Can you craft in the cities? What about NPC vendors and dueling other players?

* Could you pick up a quest, do all the steps of the quest and complete the quest within the confines of the persistent city?

• Only crafting GW1 had was armorcrafting and yes, that was mainly done in cities, towns and camps.
  • Overwhelming majority of NPC vendors were in cities, towns and camps.
  • The aforementioned areas were non-combat areas. No dueling.
  • Yes, you could pickup a quest and do all the steps all within a city, town or camp.

Good points. I think i will keep GW1 in the list. Note that PvE combat, main focus of many MMO gameplay, is done mainly outside of the persistent city zones.

JohnR

Apprentice Member

1/26/13 10:50:56 AM#59
City of Heroes/Villains/Going Rogue  As already noted earlier here at MMORPG.com the virtual world for entire community (loosely estimated at 200,000+ was taken away on Nov. 30, 2012.  Perhaps CoH/CoX does not fit this topic of lacking a persistent world, but even tho I can no longer log in to play CoH, many of my fellow players and fans remain deeply invested in our non-persistent world, creating videos, sharing stories, etc, some merely recounted yet others are wholly new.  Hope this fits the original post topic.  Thanks and have a great day!  /em holdtorch
  drebian

Novice Member

1/26/13 11:46:23 AM#60
Originally posted by JohnR
City of Heroes/Villains/Going Rogue  As already noted earlier here at MMORPG.com the virtual world for entire community (loosely estimated at 200,000+ was taken away on Nov. 30, 2012.  Perhaps CoH/CoX does not fit this topic of lacking a persistent world, but even tho I can no longer log in to play CoH, many of my fellow players and fans remain deeply invested in our non-persistent world, creating videos, sharing stories, etc, some merely recounted yet others are wholly new.  Hope this fits the original post topic.  Thanks and have a great day!  /em holdtorch

That's not quite what the OP was going for as a definition of a non-persistent world game. City of Heroes/Villains/Going Rogue did have a persistent world (ie you could run into other players while out killing things and questing). The company simply shut down the game. If by your definition this makes it a non-persistent world game, then we should add every game that has failed to this list.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search