Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,848,618 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,222,956
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Let's list the games on this site that has no persistent world

4 Pages 1 2 3 4 » Search
64 posts found
  nariusseldon

Elite Member

OP  1/23/13 3:41:32 PM#1

Since some here don't like games without persistent worlds, let's list the game being discussed (with a forum) on this site that does not have an open persistent world. So people can avoid them .. and we know which is which.

I will start ...

- League of Legends

- World of Tanks

- Diablo 3

- Path of Exile

- Gundam Capsule Fighter

- Guild War (does this count?)

- Hawken

- DOTA 2

- Mechwarrior Online

- Marvel Heroes (does this one count, they seem to have open zones)

- Vindictus (most of the game is in instanced right?)

- SMITE

(Addition from Quirhid )

- Cloud Nine

- Dragon Nest

(Addition from rojo6934)

- Continent of the 9th Seal

(Addition from Bliss)

- Terra Militaris

- Tactica Online

- Absolute Terror

RefMinor

Novice Member

Hipster

1/23/13 3:47:03 PM#2

Lets start a petition to get them removed.

+1 to start things off.

NaughtyP

Novice Member

1/23/13 3:49:01 PM#3
We should make a list of lists so that I can find the list I want to look at.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

OP  1/23/13 4:41:50 PM#4
Originally posted by RefMinor

+1 to start things off.

Why? You feel threatened just by other discussing games without virtual worlds?

You can just stay away from their forums. It would practically be "removed" for you.

Quirhid

Hard Core Member

Correcting wrongs on the Internet...

1/23/13 6:08:08 PM#5

- Cloud Nine

- Dragon Nest

Whether you count GW or not is entirely dependant on your definition of a persistent world. Say if you include GW in the list, you have to include Dungeon and Dragons Online aswell. And depending on how far do you want to go with that, even Age of Conan.

Its a gray area.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Quirhid

Hard Core Member

Correcting wrongs on the Internet...

1/23/13 6:09:25 PM#6

+1 to start things off.

I was half expecting that the first response would be a cheap shot from a purist. ...and you did not disappoint. narius served that on a platter.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Phelcher

Advanced Member

1/23/13 7:55:17 PM#7
Originally posted by nariusseldon

+1 to start things off.

You can just stay away from their forums. It would practically be "removed" for you.

Why the thread then..? Are u trying to learn, if not why herald these types of games on an mmorpg site..? Why are you such a proponent of the games you've listed, then put "so people can stay away".. Then immediatly chastise someone for wanted these non-mmorpg games removed. Then, u let the cat out of the bag and suggest he was "threatened" by non-persistant worlds.. when it is YOU who let it slip ur frightened by non-lobby, non-persistant worlds. Narius, u are at mmorpg.com... get a clue.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

GrayGhost79

Novice Member

1/23/13 7:58:26 PM#8
Originally posted by Phelcher
Originally posted by nariusseldon

+1 to start things off.

Why the thread then..? Are u trying to learn, if not why herald these types of games on an mmorpg site..? Why are you such a proponent of the games you've listed, then put "so people can stay away".. Then immediatly chastise someone for wanted these non-mmorpg games removed. Then, u let the cat out of the bag and suggest he was "threatened" by non-persistant words.. when it is YOU who let it slip ur frightened by non-lobby, non-persistant worlds. Narius, u are at mmorpg.com... get a clue.

He's trying to convince players that they wouldn't notice if the persistant world was removed from MMO's. Check his other thread or threads lol. He's not happy with the answers others are giving so it seems hes going to simply keep making threads about the same thing until someone agrees with him and says hes right lol...

Loktofeit

Elite Member

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, Wildstar, and Combat Arms

1/23/13 8:07:30 PM#9
Originally posted by NaughtyP

Define list, please.

I'm kidding! :)

"And wikipedia is as accurate as Britannica. Wikipedia is very reliable. You would be hard pressed to find a more reliable source for these kinds of things." -fovoroth

Rayshe

Novice Member

1/23/13 8:09:02 PM#10
MMORPG ELITISTS UNITE!!!

Because i can.
I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
Logic every gamers worst enemy.

ArChWind

Hard Core Member

1/23/13 8:09:08 PM#11
OMG at first I though you were talking Clisp
  Swiftrevoir

Apprentice Member

1/23/13 8:57:11 PM#12

With the exception of 1 or 2 titles in that list there are no proper MMORPGs included.  Some of them are MMOs but not MMORPGs.  Quite a few of the games are fun however, but not proper MMORPGs.  Guild Wars being the only one I would definitely call a MMORPG and tentatively still.  That's one of the games that started this whole blur and confusion of MMO genres.  

For me to be interested in an MMORPG and consider it a fully featured MMORPG, it must include a persistant world.  Otherwise it gets thrown into a big basket of other jumbly migrating genre names that sometimes have the MMO mistakingly tagged on when it needs to just be O(online).

And since the sad clown dude (RefMinor) joined me in the defense of persistant worlds before I have to +2 just because.

madazz

Apprentice Member

1/23/13 9:04:25 PM#13
Originally posted by Swiftrevoir

Guild Wars being the only one I would definitely call a MMORPG and tentatively still.  

LOL! Except its not! Unless maybe MMO doesn't mean MMO anymore and the fans, developers, media, producers and marketers who called it a NON MMO CORPG don't know what they are talking about.

Quizzical

Guide

1/23/13 9:09:39 PM#14
Originally posted by Loktofeit
Originally posted by NaughtyP

Define list, please. 

I hope that your list of lists contains itself.  And also a list of definitions of "list".

------

If killing mobs only makes them respawn 5 minutes later as though nothing had happened, is that "persistent"?

Rayshe

Novice Member

1/23/13 9:17:00 PM#15

It depends on if the game actually explains the "respawn"

TSW atleast tried in kingsmouth being that the zombie that you just killed is the same zombie, they just cant be killed. Momentarily taken out of action is a good way of explaining it. However sadly it can't be explained for everything.

Because i can.
I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Swiftrevoir

Apprentice Member

1/23/13 9:26:51 PM#16
Originally posted by madazz

Guild Wars being the only one I would definitely call a MMORPG and tentatively still.  

LOL! Except its not! Unless maybe MMO doesn't mean MMO anymore and the fans, developers, media, producers and marketers who called it a NON MMO CORPG don't know what they are talking about.

It was supposed to be an MMORPG alternative that played similarly.  Guild Wars 2 tried harder to do this and was at least successful in placing all the players of the server in the same world without as many restrictions, if not in an overflow server.  I wouldn't call it completely disimilar to MMORPGs though as it still had a lot of the same features.  Guild Wars was certainly an MMO though and GW2 is an MMORPG.

Guild Wars allowed Massive amounts of people into its Online Role Playing Game.  While they were not always on the same plane of existance they were very much all in the same game and could reach out and communicate (and socialize in cities) and play with eachother...even if not in the classic sense. 

I think I sense some deja vu with this argument.

Aelious

Elite Member

World > Quest Progression

1/23/13 9:32:46 PM#17
#6?

This one is pretty good though, can we expect it to be updated?
  madazz

Apprentice Member

1/23/13 9:46:53 PM#18

It was supposed to be an MMORPG alternative that played similarly.  Guild Wars 2 tried harder to do this and was at least successful in placing all the players of the server in the same world without as many restrictions, if not in an overflow server.  I wouldn't call it completely disimilar to MMORPGs though as it still had a lot of the same features.  Guild Wars was certainly an MMO though and GW2 is an MMORPG.

Guild Wars allowed Massive amounts of people into its Online Role Playing Game.  While they were not always on the same plane of existance they were very much all in the same game and could reach out and communicate (and socialize in cities) and play with eachother...even if not in the classic sense. 

I don't even give a crap what you have to say, and I didn't read what you wrote, because there is no argument for the original guildwars to be an MMO. It never was, never will be. And anyone saying otherwise is disagreeing with even the people who made the game. Get over it. It will NEVER be an MMO. They will not go back to it and turn it into an MMO. They will leave it as is. It is generally accepted on this forum, and every other (including the GW forums), that GW is not an MMO.

Swiftrevoir

Apprentice Member

1/23/13 9:49:22 PM#19

I don't even give a crap what you have to say, and I didn't read what you wrote, because there is no argument for the original guildwars to be an MMO. It never was, never will be. And anyone saying otherwise is disagreeing with even the people who made the game. Get over it. It will NEVER be an MMO. They will not go back to it and turn it into an MMO. They will leave it as is. It is generally accepted on this forum, and every other (including the GW forums), that GW is not an MMO.

Guild Wars was the original MMO *snicker*

madazz

Apprentice Member

1/23/13 9:53:57 PM#20

Guild Wars was the original MMO *snicker*

Actually, Chess was. ;)

4 Pages 1 2 3 4 » Search