Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | Star Wars: The Old Republic | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,643,205 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,077,003
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

20 posts found
  mcool

Novice Member

OP  1/17/13 10:50:42 AM#1

the mmo community is the hardest to please , so I decided to step back and take a less hostile approach.

i have a game development team that will to code my game for a fee of $5000 .

i had a indiegogo project but that failed http://www.indiegogo.com/CODE-Z/x/1825980

my aim is to create a zombie survival mmorpg that features dynamic gameplay and emergent narrative. the government are trying to control the population by killing off members of the society.  .there are no structured missions. the players can either can save various people across the map or complete missions known as takedowns. this is where the players are aiming to destroy camps or steal camps,

the name of the game is survival but there are other options.

• CRAFTING- making cars,medicine,or weapons from items on the floor. all weapons will have a homemade feel to it. its unreaslistic to walk around and suddenly find a uzi or shotgun on the floor. thisigives players a wide range of guns they can craft ,that have nevr been seen befor. you will be able to sell your items to vendors accross the map
  • DYNAMIC MISSIONS- players will be able to save civilians from zombie outbreaks across the maps. However there is a twist. not all civilians need saving. some civilians are  amember of the government making sure that there plan is being carried out.. the more good you do , the more of a target you are to the government
  • SAVE OR DESTROY- you can take over camps/societies, as you move along the map, making sure that you replenish the  your ammo or food, or you can complete missions for them but you may not get the items you need. 
  • EMERGENT MISSIONS- your actions are the story, by becoming a villian,destroying camps,etc players and npcs's will be after you, making you think clearly about the way you move around the map. by becoming a hero means the government are out to get you
  • A SOLID MAP- there will be 64 players per map , you are able to kill anyone you please.many societies will form across the map known as safe zones.(there are safe for now) each society is different, some may be hostile, willing to kill anyone in their path ,some are gentle ,ready to help anyone. societies come and go. the map will be filled with broken down buildings(hospitals,empty massions etc) that contain videos of how the zombies came in and destroyed the building(check the cctv) as items you may need
there are many more ideas to this game , so far iI'am at the beginning, and I really need help. what should I do to make this game a reality.  bear in mind that my team are aiming to start small and then build from there. what should I do to raise capital and get this project off the ground (dont mentions crowdfunding, been there ,done that)
  mcool

Novice Member

OP  1/17/13 11:01:18 AM#2
so are there any suggestions
  BitterClinger

Novice Member

2014 Watch List: World of Warships, Wildstar Online

1/17/13 11:04:11 AM#3

There is a thing called "sweat equity" and you need to invest a LOT of it into your project. You have to show people something to achieve two primary goals:

1. Get gamers interested in playing your game
  2. Present yourself as a credible game developer
Don't take this the wrong way, but this post did not help your cause.

Top Games Played JAN 2014: World of Warplanes, Guild Wars 2, World of Tanks

Ghavrigg

Advanced Member

1/17/13 11:11:40 AM#4

Asking people on a forum how to raise money to make this game, kinda gives off the vibe that you aren't exactly capable or qualified to create a game of this magnitude.

Crowdfunding really is the only way you would likely get it done, but if you've already tried it, that means you didn't sell yourself and your ideas well enough to gain the funding.

Maybe make a site for the game with a ton of ads and ask people to click the ads to help out, or just donate directly.  Not that this would help give customers any thought of confidence in your project, but you might get SOME money. :p

EDIT:

BTW, not a bad concept for the game. I'd probably give it a go.

mcool

Novice Member

OP  1/17/13 11:11:44 AM#5

i dont have the money for a demo , its too costly. I'am the man with the plan.

the reality is that i need funding for a demo and then i can move from there . gamers are interested but nobody wants to help

Ceryshen

Apprentice Member

1/17/13 11:22:13 AM#6
Honestly, if you can't proofread what you write, no investor will take you seriously.
  Loktofeit

Hard Core Member

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, ESO, and Combat Arms

1/17/13 11:23:26 AM#7
Originally posted by mcool

I'am the man with the plan.

If that's all you are bringing to the table, you have nothing at all to offer.

If you want to be taken seriously, you have to have some skills tthat make you an asset to the group. You also have to put some effort into presenting your ideas, and neither your post here nor your IndieGoGo campaign seem to indicate much effort was expended.

Aeonblades

Elite Member

1/17/13 11:23:47 AM#8
It's a good idea on paper, but how are going to convey to a developer as something that will sell? Zombie games have been hammered to death over the past few years, and this seems like just another MMO, with zombies.

Currently Playing: Rift, ESO, EQ1, Various betas
Have played: You name it.

Sovrath

Elite Member

1/17/13 11:29:25 AM#9
Originally posted by Loktofeit

If that's all you are bringing to the table, you have nothing at all to offer.

If you want to be taken seriously, you have to have some skills tthat make you an asset to the group. You also have to put some effort into presenting your ideas, and neither your post here nor your IndieGoGo campaign seem to indicate much effort was expended.

This and more!

Man with the plan? How about, "Man with the plan who is responsible for getting funding?

I worked for several startups and in them all the "people with the plans" were also the people who were trying to sell the product/services to investors, companies, anyone who was interested.

They were responsbile for demos and getting feedback that would oftentimes be added to product.

In movies, If one is a "man with a plan" then one can reliably say they are the producer and they do a lot  of things to make sure that movie is made.

zomard100

Apprentice Member

1/17/13 11:30:21 AM#10
Well, Bill Gates started in garage. You can do it to. In fact  we have some very succesfull games developed by small teams, remember  Serious Sam, it was made by few guys.
  BitterClinger

Novice Member

2014 Watch List: World of Warships, Wildstar Online

1/17/13 11:31:34 AM#11

i dont have the money for a demo , its too costly. I'am the man with the plan.

Ideas for games are a dime-a-dozen. I understand you're not a developer. That's fine, maybe even better as developers usually make terrible project managers. So the next question is how much of your own money have you spent on development and where are the results of that effort?

You see where I'm going with this? It's a matter of credibility. You want me and others to pony up some capital, but there's no evidence you've invested any of your own money.

Top Games Played JAN 2014: World of Warplanes, Guild Wars 2, World of Tanks

mmoguy43

Spotlight Poster

1/17/13 11:32:07 AM#12
Can't help but think this is a scam. In no way does it look like you can deliver on what you say you will. And a Zombie surival game with 'Z' tack on the end...REALLY? Oh well, I'll give you points for trying. The problem is you have to present yourself really well the first time and you blew it.
  Loktofeit

Hard Core Member

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, ESO, and Combat Arms

1/17/13 11:33:39 AM#13
Originally posted by mmoguy43
Can't help but think this is a scam.

Not a scam, just someone who genuinely wants to do something but really has no idea what he's trying to tackle.

Sovrath

Elite Member

1/17/13 11:37:49 AM#14
Originally posted by Loktofeit
Originally posted by mmoguy43
Can't help but think this is a scam.

Not a scam, just someone who genuinely wants to do something but really has no idea what he's trying to tackle.

And to that point...

I don't know if this is any good but it could be a place to start...

http://www.amazon.com/Indie-Development-Survival-Guide-Charles/dp/1584502142/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358444151&sr=1-1&keywords=how+to+be+an+indy+game+developer

Kreedz

Apprentice Member

1/17/13 11:42:46 AM#15

Aspiring Game Designer: "I have this really great Idea for a video game..."

Publisher / Investor: "Ok, lets see your Game Design Doc, and any assets you've created for the game."

Aspiring Game Designer: "Well I haven't got anything to show just yet, but let me tell you about some of my cool id-"

Publisher / Investor: "NEXT!"

Yeah, pretty much...

EDIT: Also, not to sound overly critical, but, Zombies? Really, dude? That dead horse been beaten, minced, and made into an off-coloured hot dog a long time ago... multiple times.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

ObiClownobi

Novice Member

1/17/13 11:44:23 AM#16

Actually, you are the man with an idea, but no plan.

you need to actually do some planning.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

Kreedz

Apprentice Member

1/17/13 11:53:31 AM#17

From the OP's Indiegogo site:

There are FIVE different perks which you are entitled to if you donate.

$5-YOU will get  mentioned in our credits

$10- You will have early access to the game before anyone else

$25- You will get the benifits of perk one and two plus a personal thank you from the team

$100- You will get you gold membership for life in CODE Z oncereleased.

$1000- A town in the game to be named after you or the name of your choice, plus the benifits of perk 1,2 and 4

So, if we pledge $25 we get a personal thank you from the team, but if we drop a grand in your lap we dont so much as get an appreciative nod?

I'm trying real hard to sympathize with you trying to get your project off the ground, but youre just making it too easy for people to ridicule you...

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

User Deleted
1/17/13 11:55:34 AM#18

I have no suggestions on funding.  In general, an idea man needs to have sufficient cash to get a project started or sufficient experience and skillset to partner up with a publisher.  An idea but no cash (or no experience / skillset) means build it yourself, which is obviously very difficult with no cash and/or limited skills.

A long shot would be a bank loan if you have collateral and income, or possibly something like a Small Business Administration loan.

On a side note:  A developer offered to build it for $5,000?  Is that including artwork?  That's an extremely low price for the amount of work.  I've got 10 times that amount of money invested plus 4 1/2 years labor into my own game.  I'd be skeptical that you'll get what you want for such a small amount of money.

greenreen

Elite Member

1/17/13 1:58:21 PM#19

Blunt and honest. If you don't get someone to speak on your behalf, you will not get any sort of funding. Your spelling is bad, the grammar is the effort of an instant messenger, and worst of all, no proof reading. No attempt at all to correct anything or re-read it.

The truth is that people can deny handing you cash for anything, the easiest being that you don't seem prepared or detail oriented. That is their gauge of what you would deliver, half-hearted gobbledeegook because that's what you are presenting.

You need to get your "speaking face" in order before you open your lips on a project this massive or no one will take it seriously.

I don't even like zombies :S

NaughtyP

Novice Member

1/17/13 1:58:49 PM#20

As many others have said, ideas are great, but you need something more. There are a lot of free (or nearly free) game development software packages that you can use as a starting point. The learning curve for any of these will always be steep because no modern game is easy to make!

• Unity3d is decent. I've played with it a bit. There are loads and loads of tutorials for it as well.
  • Blender is a great free alternative to 3dsmax for doing models and such things. A lot of people love this one. I don't much experience with it personally, but it's free so you can't beat the price.
  • Gimp is free and is a great alternative to Photoshop.

I don't build games, I just know some of the stuff that's out there that is affordable to the indie dev. With a bit of research I bet there are even more alternatives. I'm not sure how you plan to build this project without doing much of the legwork on your own with such a small budget. I think you will be better off teaching yourself and building the foundation, then crowdsourcing later and expanding your team. Or better yet, focus on a more achievable goal like an iOS or android game app and if it's a success use that money to invest in a larger team.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.