Trending Games | Pirate101 | ArcheAge | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,859,649 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,244,823
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Does complexity get mixed up with depth?

6 posts found
  User Deleted

OP  1/17/13 1:38:29 AM#1

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/depth-vs.-complexity

I was looking at the above link, and it got me wondering:

Do people on this forum tend to get the two mixed up, or assume they are the same?

maplestone

Novice Member

1/17/13 3:14:38 AM#2

No, I think people around here have a pretty good concept of the difference.  But I also believe MMOs are fundementally different than more focused games because exploring the complexity of an MMO is an essential part of the game experience

Phaserlight

Advanced Member

Do you want to improve the world? I don't think it can be done. -Lao Tzu

1/17/13 4:50:20 AM#3

Complexity =/= depth

Something that is deep can also be complex, but something that is complex is not necessarily deep.

Something can be very simple and easy to say, but take a while to understand.  For example: "light is both a particle and a wave".

Something can be complex and take a while to understand, but not be very deep.  For example (in my opinion): the U.S. Tax Code.

A touchstone might be that a deep concept can be explained easily, but even the one who is explaining it may not yet fully understand the concept.

"To be what you are not, experience what you are not." -Saint John of the Cross
Authored 110 missions in Vendetta Online
Check it out on Steam

Gdemami

Elite Member

1/17/13 4:54:19 AM#4

Originally posted by Yakkin

Do people on this forum tend to get the two mixed up, or assume they are the same?

Definitely.

Complexity = features
Depth = design, how those features are implemented and how they interact with each other

Imo, vast majority of posters here do not understand what design is, they just make list of features = design.

Quirhid

Elite Member

Correcting wrongs on the Internet...

1/17/13 6:48:19 AM#5

Often.

Sometimes they can't tell the difference, other times they think complexity automatically breeds depth.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

QSatu

Apprentice Member

1/17/13 6:50:17 AM#6
All the time. Prime example is gW2's combat system. So many people think that adding 500 new weapon skills would add to the depth of combat.