Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,641,307 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,075,851
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
27 posts found
  Loktofeit

Hard Core Member

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, ESO, and Combat Arms

1/16/13 3:29:17 PM#21
Originally posted by nariusseldon
Originally posted by Quirhid
Originally posted by Scot
This is an idea that has floated around for years. I can see it having some appeal, but gaming companies do not like to split gamers onto different servers. So its a hard sell to them.

uh? WOW has what .. 200+ servers? Almost every sizable game has multiple servers.

I think he meant different servers with different rulesets/versions. And he is right: it takes extra effort to maintain and make sure every version and ruleset works the way it was intended. Especially when implementing changes.

That is probably true. But it is easy to adjust difficulty in instances. Just have a normal and a hard mode like in WOW raid.

AoC does that as well

nariusseldon

Elite Member

1/16/13 3:48:32 PM#22
Originally posted by Loktofeit
This is an idea that has floated around for years. I can see it having some appeal, but gaming companies do not like to split gamers onto different servers. So its a hard sell to them.

uh? WOW has what .. 200+ servers? Almost every sizable game has multiple servers.

I think he meant different servers with different rulesets/versions. And he is right: it takes extra effort to maintain and make sure every version and ruleset works the way it was intended. Especially when implementing changes.

That is probably true. But it is easy to adjust difficulty in instances. Just have a normal and a hard mode like in WOW raid.

AoC does that as well

And DDO too, i believe.

Arclan

Spotlight Poster

Ideas are worthless. The only currency that holds any weight is the ability and drive to execute.

1/16/13 4:15:47 PM#23

I've asked for this for years. And have mentioned it more than a few times on EQ forums in hopes SOE doesn't make the same mistake of offering one game to rule them all; when it would be easy to make servers of varying difficulty. The WoW types can have their solo mode, and the old EQ players can have their group love fest.

I'm not going to a party full of clowns (F2P), then offer to buy them all drinks. -GregorMcgregor

Playing: XCom, Rome Total War, Master of Orion II, Majesty 2, and HOMM I.
Played: Everquest, Planetside, Vanguard, Pirates of the Burning Sea, EVE, UO.

Scot

Hard Core Member

1/17/13 4:02:59 AM#24

Yes, running differant types of the same game is what gaming companies are not happy to do. Even having PvE and PvP servers must cause them extra work. And whats being suggeted for a hardmode server (all sorts of ideas) tends to be far more involved than just allowing players to attack each other anywhere.

emikochan

Apprentice Member

Welcome to my world.

1/17/13 9:46:04 AM#25
You don't need to change mechanics to make the game more challenging. Private servers do it all the time. Just up the hp of mobs, and lower the xp gain.

Heck, D3 (not a MMO) does it for every game. You can choose the level of difficulty. How hard it is to multiple health of every mob by 10, or divide xp gain per mob by 10?

That's not more challenge, it's more tedium. Something taking 10 times as long doesn't mean it's 10 times as hard.

Adding new abilities on hard modes is the way to go. Since everyone seems to be using D3 as an example, the extra affixes on harder mobs make them very different to fight, even if they didn't have more hp/damage.

Loktofeit

Hard Core Member

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, ESO, and Combat Arms

1/17/13 9:49:44 AM#26
Originally posted by Loktofeit

AoC does that as well

And DDO too, i believe.

I really like DDO's system. I do each dungeon from lowest to hardest which is a rather rewarding process for me since

- doing the lower difficulties unlocks higher ones

- there are rewards for completing the different levels of dungeons

- I'm more interested in getting a group together for the harder dungeons because I now know the dungeon and know I can be an asset to the team rather than a bumbling follower.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

1/17/13 1:33:01 PM#27
Originally posted by emikochan
You don't need to change mechanics to make the game more challenging. Private servers do it all the time. Just up the hp of mobs, and lower the xp gain.

Heck, D3 (not a MMO) does it for every game. You can choose the level of difficulty. How hard it is to multiple health of every mob by 10, or divide xp gain per mob by 10?

That's not more challenge, it's more tedium. Something taking 10 times as long doesn't mean it's 10 times as hard.

Adding new abilities on hard modes is the way to go. Since everyone seems to be using D3 as an example, the extra affixes on harder mobs make them very different to fight, even if they didn't have more hp/damage.

If you look at D3 as an example, all inferno elites have the same set of affixes to drawn from. The only scaling in MP levels, for inferno mode, is hp and damage.

I disagree that it is just tedium, if you scale the HP. Because you have to survive longer. If you actually go to D3 forums, the builds used in low MP and high MP (and gearing) can be quite different, although the main difference is "only" mob damage and hp scaling.

That is because a lot of the abilities interact in non-trivial ways. For example, you need a much higher attack speed to be able to lock up elites with CC (i.e. CM wiz) at high MP. So the ability Slow Time with the attack speed increase becomes more useful, and you can trade it off with other abiltiies. I think this kind of trade off is what make the game challenging and interesting.

Having said all that, i do agree that having extra abilities (affixes) at higher difficulty level is a good idea. Of course that is more costly to do, then just scaling hp/damage. I would say a good game should consider both.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search