Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,858,906 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,244,075
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Why isn't EQ:Next in the game list?

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
47 posts found
  JayFiveAlive

Advanced Member

1/14/13 10:09:35 PM#21
I'd love to see it this year... but I am betting on 2014 release personally.
  ice-vortex

Apprentice Member

1/14/13 10:16:07 PM#22
It sounded like they were purposefully keeping their cards close so as not to give much away. So I don't think it will release much longer after they first show off the game.
  Karteli

Apprentice Member

1/14/13 10:43:37 PM#23
Originally posted by ice-vortex
It sounded like they were purposefully keeping their cards close so as not to give much away. So I don't think it will release much longer after they first show off the game.

This game is just going to blow so minds away when it hits, that's why it doesn't have it's own category yet.

When it gets it's own category, this site will need a new team to moderate all the incoming posts.

Hype train, choo choo.

(from what I know it will be a good game though .. but who knows)

[actually the new moderator team might be spot on... it's going to be big .. everyones heard of Everquest, even if it's just a rebutal to WoW being the first MMO]

The term EverQuest has meaning.  EverQuest Next will be big.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

SpectralHunter

Novice Member

1/14/13 11:31:07 PM#24
My understanding is that games aren't listed if they don't have a website.  I also believe they have to have a clear launch date (whether or not it gets met is irrelevant).
  Novusod

Advanced Member

1/14/13 11:50:18 PM#25
Originally posted by Novusod
Originally posted by Hrimnir

He said they had scrapped the 2 previous "ideas" behind the game, not that they had scrapped all of the work they had done.  Im sure there is plenty of art assets and all kind of code and stuff they're going to use moving forward, otherwise there is no way they would have a playable version by 2013 fanfaire.

This is true but it also answers your original question. EQNext is not going to be a 2013 release. Most likely it will be a late 2014 release or even a 2015 date. This means it is bit to early to put EQNext on the game list with its' own forum. It is important they get this right and not rush out something that is sub par.

You have no idea when it's going to be released.

I have been watching the MMO industry in great detale for over a decade and I have a pretty good eye for these things. It takes a lot of time and preperation to bring a MMO market. When the publisher won't even give a general date that is red flag the release is a long way off. Even when they do give a general time frame most times the publisher misses the target. Even WoW was delayed. I correctly predicted that TERA would be delayed for over a year. 100% correct.

I will have to make one for EQNext but they don't even have a logo yet. Don't get your hopes up and don't hype an early release because it is not going to happen. A 2013 release is impossible. If EQNext releases in 2014 it will be at the end of the year into 2015 and not the beginning of 2014.

ice-vortex

Apprentice Member

1/15/13 12:10:26 AM#26

He said they had scrapped the 2 previous "ideas" behind the game, not that they had scrapped all of the work they had done.  Im sure there is plenty of art assets and all kind of code and stuff they're going to use moving forward, otherwise there is no way they would have a playable version by 2013 fanfaire.

This is true but it also answers your original question. EQNext is not going to be a 2013 release. Most likely it will be a late 2014 release or even a 2015 date. This means it is bit to early to put EQNext on the game list with its' own forum. It is important they get this right and not rush out something that is sub par.

You have no idea when it's going to be released.

I have been watching the MMO industry in great detale for over a decade and I have a pretty good eye for these things. It takes a lot of time and preperation to bring a MMO market. When the publisher won't even give a general date that is red flag the release is a long way off. Even when they do give a general time frame most times the publisher misses the target. Even WoW was delayed. I correctly predicted that TERA would be delayed for over a year. 100% correct.

I will have to make one for EQNext but they don't even have a logo yet. Don't get your hopes up and don't hype an early release because it is not going to happen. A 2013 release is impossible. If EQNext releases in 2014 it will be at the end of the year into 2015 and not the beginning of 2014.

Planetside 2 first shown behind closed doors GDC 2012, released November 2012.

Novusod

Advanced Member

1/15/13 12:23:17 AM#27

EQNext has no behind closed doors demo yet and they tenitively say they "might" have one by next SoElive event which will be in the fall of 2013. If there is the same 7 or 8 month lead time from demo to release date as PS2 then that still puts it in the second half of 2014. The math is in my favor on this one.

ice-vortex

Apprentice Member

1/15/13 12:25:52 AM#28

EQNext has no behind closed doors demo yet and they tenitively say they "might" have one by next SoElive event which will be in the fall of 2013. If there is the same 7 or 8 month lead time from demo to release date as PS2 then that still puts it in the second half of 2014. The math is in my favor on this one.

GDC is two months away. We know two things. 1. The final component SOE is waiting for to be completed before they show off the game was almost ready almost a month a go. 2. It will be playable at the next SOE Live event.

Phry

Elite Member

1/15/13 12:49:12 AM#29

GDC is two months away. We know two things. 1. The final component SOE is waiting for to be completed before they show off the game was almost ready almost a month a go. 2. It will be playable at the next SOE Live event.

so they 'might' and heavy emphasis on the might btw, have an early alpha ready by then, tbh, that just confirms Novusod's argument imo, it does look increasingly like a 2014+ release, if it was going to be 2013 we'd at least be in some kind of beta stage by now, which there isnt. Even though SOE does have something of a track record for releasing early, buggy, incomplete games, and trying to patch things as they go, that kind of thing just isnt acceptable any more, and i would hope that SOE will have learned from the experiences of other more recent releases of what happens when they do that. Also, PS2 which is a stripped down version of PS1 btw and lacks a lot of the previous games features/funcitonality. Even drawing on the resources from PS2 the only useable thing would be the engine itself, as while PS2 is perhaps a credible MMOFPS, it lacks all the features that make up a MMORPG, which EQ;NEXT would have to have, yet another action combat game with limited crafting etc. then there is the simple issue of PS2 not having a character creation tool, something that would be totally unnacceptable for an MMORPG, i mean, come on, even Blizzards WoW character creation tool as old as it is, and, imo, totally inadequate for a modern MMO, is far more comprehensive than the one in PS2, which is simply male or female choices, and the only difference between the 2 is.. probably not noticeable.. so i'll go with Novusod, 2014 would be optimistic at best.

Novusod

Advanced Member

1/15/13 12:51:51 AM#30

Show proof of point #1. I watched every pannel at SoE live in October and they had nothing. The message from SoE was don't ask us about EQNext because they scraped everything and will talk about their plans "next year." Starting over in October is the complete opposite of "The final component."

Point #2 is also false. SoE said they might have a playable demo by next SoE Live. They did not make any promises on that if you understand SoEspeak. Also understand that demos are not the same thing as the full game. There is tonn of work that is needed to be done to turn a demo into a full MMO.

Seems like you are just believing what you want to hear and hoping it comes true. Won't happen though.

ice-vortex

Apprentice Member

1/15/13 12:57:35 AM#31
Originally posted by Phry

so they 'might' and heavy emphasis on the might btw, have an early alpha ready by then, tbh, that just confirms Novusod's argument imo, it does look increasingly like a 2014+ release, if it was going to be 2013 we'd at least be in some kind of beta stage by now, which there isnt. Even though SOE does have something of a track record for releasing early, buggy, incomplete games, and trying to patch things as they go, that kind of thing just isnt acceptable any more, and i would hope that SOE will have learned from the experiences of other more recent releases of what happens when they do that. Also, PS2 which is a stripped down version of PS1 btw and lacks a lot of the previous games features/funcitonality. Even drawing on the resources from PS2 the only useable thing would be the engine itself, as while PS2 is perhaps a credible MMOFPS, it lacks all the features that make up a MMORPG, which EQ;NEXT would have to have, yet another action combat game with limited crafting etc. then there is the simple issue of PS2 not having a character creation tool, something that would be totally unnacceptable for an MMORPG, i mean, come on, even Blizzards WoW character creation tool as old as it is, and, imo, totally inadequate for a modern MMO, is far more comprehensive than the one in PS2, which is simply male or female choices, and the only difference between the 2 is.. probably not noticeable.. so i'll go with Novusod, 2014 would be optimistic at best.

First I would ask you to use paragraphs.

Planetside 2 beta didn't start until August of 2012. As I said before, no one saw any gameplay until GDC of 2012. Planetside 2 is also a whole new game and to expect a new game to have the same content as a game that has been out for years is ridiculous and Planetside 2 is going in a completely different direction than Planetside 1 took. The first Everquest Next and Planetside Next information came out around the same time back in 2009.

Phry

Elite Member

1/15/13 1:12:08 AM#32
Originally posted by Phry

First I would ask you to use paragraphs.

Planetside 2 beta didn't start until August of 2012. As I said before, no one saw any gameplay until GDC of 2012. Planetside 2 is also a whole new game and to expect a new game to have the same content as a game that has been out for years is ridiculous and Planetside 2 is going in a completely different direction than Planetside 1 took. The first Everquest Next and Planetside Next information came out around the same time back in 2009.

and planetside 2 released too early, it has stability issues - that are being addressed, in the last 3 weeks i've seen the game running gradually longer and longer times before it crashes to desktop, at first it was probably every 15 to 20 mins, but now it usually runs for an hour before it crashes, each patch does seem to address this issue, to a degree. But in a lot of ways Planetside 2 is a much simpler game than EQ;NEXT will have to be, it will have to have a character creation tool, more than a few races too after all, Everquest had a few flavours just of Elves after all, it will need crafting, lots of crafting, then theres dungeons etc etc. the list you can probably imagine, but these are things that are not needed in a FPS game, and still Planetside 2 released too early.. 

So, if we're lucky, we can expect to see some early alpha gameplay at the next GDC, maybe. And possibly a game release late 2014, or maybe early 2015, which despite sounding like a long way off, really isnt, its actually not that long, given the amount of work needed to be done.

Acapella75

Novice Member

1/15/13 4:06:28 AM#33

Smedly didnt say "might" be playable and 2013 Fan Faire.  He said it "will" be playable at 2013 Fan faire.  I would assume a 2014 launch with closed beta starting in nov-dec of 2013.

Its not like they started over.  They are just redesigning the core of the game.  They have the engine, art, assests, animations probably done by now.  Thats the hardest part of making a MMO.

g4m3sh4rk

Novice Member

Get some!

1/15/13 4:24:00 AM#34

... the game is confirmed and definitely coming out...

@_@ say what now? Last I heard SOE announced they had no plans for a new EQ game?!

Kazlin

Advanced Member

1/15/13 9:10:40 PM#35
Originally posted by Acapella75

Smedly didnt say "might" be playable and 2013 Fan Faire.  He said it "will" be playable at 2013 Fan faire.  I would assume a 2014 launch with closed beta starting in nov-dec of 2013.

Its not like they started over.  They are just redesigning the core of the game.  They have the engine, art, assests, animations probably done by now.  Thats the hardest part of making a MMO.

I watch every Famfair religiously and never herd them say they scraped anything the game has been in development since 2008 since the 10th aniversery of EQ video was released and if anyone wants to be technical it was planned in 2004. IF SoE was smart and i know they dont wanna show any cards they will do iin house beta testing for all beta phases and dont let the public touch the game that way nobody can get acess to it .

This will help in 2 ways all the other games comeing out cant steal stuff from them  and it dosnt let the ppl just try the game in open beta so thy dont buy it if they dont like the way it plays .

I just hope and pray it go's back to the roots of the old EQ and not the updated version where its all doable solo except the raids you cant raid the new zones solo  do forced grouping epic quests and alot of endgame content and ill be happy for another 10 years.

Phelcher

Advanced Member

1/16/13 3:52:54 PM#36
EQNext will be out in 2014 & cost $16.99/month... even little kids, will want to collect pop bottles to play...

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

JayFiveAlive

Advanced Member

1/16/13 4:09:17 PM#37
Originally posted by Phelcher
EQNext will be out in 2014 & cost $16.99/month... even little kids, will want to collect pop bottles to play...

lol I know you are kidding, but I'm pretty sure they've said EQNext will be F2P, no?

kadepsyson

Novice Member

The doctors say his chances are 50/50...but there's only a 10% chance of that.

1/16/13 4:10:59 PM#38
Originally posted by JayFiveAlive

lol I know you are kidding, but I'm pretty sure they've said EQNext will be F2P, no?

That'd be far less affordable then :(

El Psy Congroo

JayFiveAlive

Advanced Member

1/16/13 4:13:14 PM#39
Originally posted by kadepsyson
Originally posted by JayFiveAlive

That'd be far less affordable then :(

Hahah agreed. I seriously miss subs.. I'd gladly pay 20$ a month for EQNext if it had the awesomeness that EQ did at it's time...

Zarriya

Novice Member

1/16/13 4:57:00 PM#40

For those of you that are talking about how they miss the vanilla days of EQ2 i thought I might let you know that a very small group of us have decided to roll on a server that we do not have toons on - start from scratch .  We are level locked at 12 until we have viewed all the content and then will re-lock at intervals so to re-live the experience again.  I got very excited crafting my own 8 slot bags and we are hitting up all the heritage quests at level.   This guy started it all: http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/index.php?threads/lore-seekers-guild-forming.2569/

You cant change what they have done with the game, I am most sad about the cash shop. But I feel EQ2 is still the best game on the market - i just chose to play it my way.  But its is good that we are all voicing our opinions here because I do not want them to mess up Titan and EQNext.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search