Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,801,506 Users Online:0
Games:725  Posts:6,196,478
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Do you ever get a second chance to make a first impression?

11 posts found
  Arclan

Spotlight Poster

"Ideas are worthless. The only currency that holds any weight is the ability and drive to execute."

OP  1/11/13 2:13:55 PM#1

No, of course not. Game companies take heed. So many major projects / investments that failed or seem headed in that direction.

The latest? Planetside 2, I think. Over 6,000 posts since July's launch but in the past week no one is posting or even reading that SOE is patching major fixes to the game.

So don't release junk thinking you can fix it, cuz by then it will be too late.

/lament Vanguard
/lament other games I haven't played (TSW, SWTOR, etc)
/lament Planetside 2 (tho I am keeping hope)

P L A N E T S I D E 1 is up !! check PS1 forum for link to current installer.
Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit
video game company layoffs are twice the national average.

Volgore

Tipster

Posts deleted: 12589457

1/11/13 2:20:02 PM#2

Many gamers gave Funcom a second chance to make a first impression and bought TSW after the AoC scam.

Funcom though failed again and the second first impression was the same as the first first impression.

Dexter2010

Advanced Member

1/11/13 2:29:34 PM#3
I gave Anet a second chance years after their first blunder, and it was a mistake. I'm glad I stayed away from their more recent projects. Based on what I've read, I'm avoiding Funcom and others too.
  VengeSunsoar

Advanced Member

Be Brief, Be Bright... Be Gone.

1/11/13 3:05:52 PM#4

Of course you can't get a second chance to make a first impression, there is only one first.

However you may get a second chance to correct or improve the impression.

Quit worrying about other players in a game and just play.

greenreen

Elite Member

1/11/13 7:00:01 PM#5

Nope but taking responsibility for things that are delivered poorly or out of what was promised is part of improving.

I have a strict rule. Once I leave a game by choice, it's because they have reached some limit with me (usually trust) and can't recover. The longer I see them continue to keep their fingers in their ears saying "Everything is great!, Look how sexy we are!", the more they entice me to expose all their ills. I don't know if I consider it standing up for consumer transparency but I do notice that the more they disregard their problems or say that they aren't problems, the more I openly mention it to those that ask. If their fanboys want to take the brunt of it, I'm more than happy to debate it out with them too, as long as they can come with evidence and numbers instead of blind enthusiasm. Fanboys actually bring games down if you ask me, they propel people to complain more because they always claim the game is perfect. Instead of saying something once, a fanboy will make someone repeat something 5 ways and make it look worse than it might be or more eventful because they keep saying, "but but but we can't betray the game". There is no betrayal in speaking truth.

Even though I won't return to the game, I can be calmed from making as much of a stink about the situation if they admit guilt and make resolutions. Without that, I still feel like I don't need a pardon to talk poorly of them. I don't consider it whining either because I'm no longer invested in seeing the change play out and will never benefit me because I won't be there to play it. In reality, I don't care if the change comes any longer, now it's about the principal of being heard.

For a player like me, even though I won't return business to them, I won't try to take it from them either once things are resolved.

Some people give companies multiple chances and they rail on them for years for multiple reasons. At least I will back off when there is effort to attempt to resolve things. The importance of taking blame is the largest part. After hundreds or thousands of people tell you something and you brush it aside because you aren't listening, that has to prove that it's been noted or there is no point in ever having a forum or me reporting bugs. If you can do it all alone, do it all alone. Don't though act like we are doing something together and you want feedback if you don't intend to take it seriously. As seriously as I take you when I open my wallet to purchase your game.

Games should be excited when they find out what people don't like about their games. It's easy to fix what you know versus what you don't know. If instead everyone just walked away and never said why, your guess why your game failed and what went wrong. 

Dexter2010

Advanced Member

2/08/13 2:08:27 PM#6
Originally posted by greenreen

Nope but taking responsibility for things that are delivered poorly or out of what was promised is part of improving.

I have a strict rule. Once I leave a game by choice, it's because they have reached some limit with me (usually trust) and can't recover. The longer I see them continue to keep their fingers in their ears saying "Everything is great!, Look how sexy we are!", the more they entice me to expose all their ills. I don't know if I consider it standing up for consumer transparency but I do notice that the more they disregard their problems or say that they aren't problems, the more I openly mention it to those that ask. If their fanboys want to take the brunt of it, I'm more than happy to debate it out with them too, as long as they can come with evidence and numbers instead of blind enthusiasm. Fanboys actually bring games down if you ask me, they propel people to complain more because they always claim the game is perfect. Instead of saying something once, a fanboy will make someone repeat something 5 ways and make it look worse than it might be or more eventful because they keep saying, "but but but we can't betray the game". There is no betrayal in speaking truth.

Even though I won't return to the game, I can be calmed from making as much of a stink about the situation if they admit guilt and make resolutions. Without that, I still feel like I don't need a pardon to talk poorly of them. I don't consider it whining either because I'm no longer invested in seeing the change play out and will never benefit me because I won't be there to play it. In reality, I don't care if the change comes any longer, now it's about the principal of being heard.

For a player like me, even though I won't return business to them, I won't try to take it from them either once things are resolved.

Some people give companies multiple chances and they rail on them for years for multiple reasons. At least I will back off when there is effort to attempt to resolve things. The importance of taking blame is the largest part. After hundreds or thousands of people tell you something and you brush it aside because you aren't listening, that has to prove that it's been noted or there is no point in ever having a forum or me reporting bugs. If you can do it all alone, do it all alone. Don't though act like we are doing something together and you want feedback if you don't intend to take it seriously. As seriously as I take you when I open my wallet to purchase your game.

Games should be excited when they find out what people don't like about their games. It's easy to fix what you know versus what you don't know. If instead everyone just walked away and never said why, your guess why your game failed and what went wrong. 

Bravo! I couldn't have said it better!

Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

2/08/13 2:11:13 PM#7
Let's be honest: how many "second chances" should we give SOE?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Cry0

Apprentice Member

2/09/13 2:53:37 PM#8

I am generally lenient towards games with buggy releases, server crashes etc because of my understanding of how software releases go.  I do not expect a perfect product on day one like other people seem to expect.

What I look for more is how the core mechanics work of the game because those are not changing.

FFXIV is a great example of a game with completely shitty mechanics that were very very very apparent in the beta.  The crafting system was a complete cluster f' of randomness from what I experienced.  Coming from FFXI I fully expected a system that was incredibly complex and intertwined with open world drops, moon cycles etc.  Instead I get some bullshit where I smash colors on a anvil and randomly everything blows up in my face.  Move on to actual game play and everything was equally as crappy.  No grouping, really stupid class mechanics and very underwhelming bonuses for leveling & boring items.  There was no way this was changing without a complete code re-write, which is what ended up happening apparently.

I keep going back to planetside to check in but I was kind of disheartened by their 6 month plan because some of the updates I feel are key are being pushed off.  The core gameplay is still fun but things like being able to move a vehicle between planets is kind of important and missing.  

I just reinstalled torchlight II because it was fun and I wanted to see if multiplayer was un-f'ed for people who went to played through to max new game.. it isn't and there is still nobody to play with so back to the trash it goes.

SuperNick

Hard Core Member

2/09/13 2:57:48 PM#9

Sure, I give games multiple chances all the time.

Just because a game launches like a sack of crap doesn't mean it isn't the game it was supposed to be later on. Sure with bad releases it's disappointing but by not giving a game a second chance, or a chance at all to begin with because of <xyz personal reason> you are potentially just cutting yourself out of what you might really enjoy.

I know all these people flipped out over FFXIV relaunching saying "oh no way, the game is gonna be absolutely terrible! not even entertaining it because they burned me so bad the first time!" - well, great, now their pride is gonna stand in the way of what might be something they absolutely love.

It's a bit like going to a restauraunt and having a bad meal - one bad chef on one night of the year shouldn't be enough to put you off the restauraunt for life. It also shouldn't be an entire representation of the company either. Yet for so many the opposite is true.. one bad meal and they're never returning.

Phry

Elite Member

2/09/13 3:01:34 PM#10
Originally posted by Icewhite
Let's be honest: how many "second chances" should we give SOE?

So far, several, the trouble is, is that when it comes to games like planetside 2, there really isnt any competition, not saying thats why they get away with it, but they are trying to make the game work, and lately each patch does seem to address the issues the game has.  If only SOE's track record wasnt so terrible

WalterWhite

Advanced Member

It's time to cook.

2/09/13 3:15:36 PM#11
If you could bottle second chances and sell it, EA would spend another $200 million + on SWTOR and it'll still suck.