Trending Games | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | EverQuest Next | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,848 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,242,188
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Tab Targeting is Here to Stay Folks

6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search
118 posts found
  dave6660

Hard Core Member

"Next time I see you, remind me not to talk to you."

1/03/13 2:46:02 PM#41
Originally posted by laokoko

Obviously the FPS way is more fun.

It is just it is impossible to stop aimbot in those kind of game.

Just like it is impossible to stop maphack in RTS.

To me a cheat proof game is very important.  Sicne it is impossible to stop those cheat to exist, I hope it won't become a standard.

Obvious to who?  Did they send out a memo?

"Why so serious?"
-- The Joker

laokoko

Hard Core Member

1/03/13 2:54:03 PM#42
Originally posted by dave6660

To me a cheat proof game is very important.  Sicne it is impossible to stop those cheat to exist, I hope it won't become a standard.

I figure most gamer like more skillful combat system.  And have to target enemy themself.

But since you disagree.  I could be wrong.

evolver1972

Novice Member

What is "real"? How do you define "real"?

1/03/13 2:56:43 PM#43

I much prefer tab targeting.  I'm too damn old and slow for twitch/aim targeting.

I have no problem with the idea of being able to turn off tab targeting if you so choose.  There are a few games out there with that option and that seems to be the way to go for me.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

dave6660

Hard Core Member

1/03/13 3:00:50 PM#44
Originally posted by DamonVile

You see a lot of  " I'll never touch a game like that "  in these threads. And that statement seems to imply that change isn't going to happen because they wont let it. What makes you think you're here to stay ?

You're reading way too much into opinions.  I don't like FPS games, I won't buy or play them regardless of how popular or unpopular they are.  Why is that a problem?

"Why so serious?"
-- The Joker

nariusseldon

Elite Member

1/03/13 3:11:27 PM#45

I figure most gamer like more skillful combat system.  And have to target enemy themself.

You are wrong. FPS is also not the only action combat system out there. D3 has a pretty actiony combat system. 3rd person shooter is also actiony.

Is FPS more fun than TPS or top down action? Depends on the game.

cheyane

Elite Member

1/03/13 3:24:57 PM#46
I wish I could play fps but I cannot they make me ill. Some motion illness it is so bad I have to stop after ten minutes and in some games not even 5 mins and my head goes boom. I cannot solve this problem at all so I avoid playing them.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dave6660

Hard Core Member

1/03/13 3:26:34 PM#47
Originally posted by nariusseldon

You are wrong. FPS is also not the only action combat system out there. D3 has a pretty actiony combat system. 3rd person shooter is also actiony.

I actually agree with Narius... what is the world coming to!?

"Why so serious?"
-- The Joker

nariusseldon

Elite Member

1/03/13 3:27:58 PM#48

The world ended on Dec 21, 2012 .. we are in heaven (or hell depending your MMO preference)? :P

vandal5627

Novice Member

1/03/13 3:32:09 PM#49

I read alot of threads but don't post much and most of the time i don't agree with Narius but he's definitely on point in this thread. :)

laokoko

Hard Core Member

1/03/13 3:37:16 PM#50

I dont' even remember what D3 combat was like even though I'm paragon 100.  Havn't touch that game in a while.

FIrst of all, D3 isn't your typical MMORPG.  People call them ARPG, I just call them 3d side scrolling game.  Mainly you can't turn camera angle.  And what really make it action oriented is because it is limited to 4 players.  They have less technicle issue with less people involve.

And I shouldn't say FPS, I meant to say action oriented combat where you have to aim yourself, dodge, block etc to me "should be" more popular compare to auto target games.  But I'm no game researcher and I'm probably wrong.  That is just my guess. 

KaosLegion

Apprentice Member

1/03/13 3:46:57 PM#51

If I swing a sword everything in its path should be hit!

Tab targeting like AoC if it's to be used, focus on one enemy but position to hit multiple.  Nothing worse then fighting glued to the ground.

To be honest I'd prefer more Dark Souls combat where your weapon can collide with environment. Imagine a pvp match where you could lure a wide swinging enemy into a narrow space and possibly neutralize them or vice versa.

free2play

Hard Core Member

1/03/13 3:50:07 PM#52
The only game I enjoyed reticular combat in was Freelancer and it wasn't an MMO.
  aesperus

Hard Core Member

1/03/13 3:54:30 PM#53
Originally posted by ShakyMo
Disagree planetside style combat is the future. The only reason for tab Target is we didnt have the tech or internet structure back then.

I think it is just preference. The PS style combat is under represented because of technology involved .. not since we have it .. we will see more of it. But at the end, both style combat will co-exist.

Not everyone like actony combat (although i do), but at the same time, many do.

It's entirely preference.

I think we're going to see both going into the future.

While I personally like the more fast-paced, challenging action combat. Others don't. Some people like the structure of tab targetting, and not having to keep track of a dozen different things happening all at once. I know quite a few people who complained about this for both PS2 and GW2. Some people just don't want to operate at that speed.

It's a lot like the difference between a team-based FPS, and an RTS shooter like XCOM. Both are acceptable forms of gameplay, with their own audiences.

ereyethirn

Novice Member

1/03/13 4:11:23 PM#54
Originally posted by ShakyMo
Disagree planetside style combat is the future. The only reason for tab Target is we didnt have the tech or internet structure back then.

Yes it is for mmofps games but we're talking mmorpgs here...

Fusion

Old School

1/03/13 4:13:31 PM#55
Originally posted by Phaserlight
Except we did.  I was playing Vendetta Online in 2003 when literally *no-one* was doing the aim / twitch thing in MMORPGs.  Now it's all the rage, I guess.  It doesn't make a difference to me; different playstyles for different people, I guess.  I feel like I should be in one of those "I was playing aim-based combat before it was cool" memes.  Maybe someone will make one for me.

Sorry, Neocron @ 2002 was the first to mix FPS combat into MMORPG.

Ever since the late-great Neocron, i've found all tab-target MMO's to be boring at best, combat-wise.

Currently playing: -

Waiting for: Class4.

Dead and Buried: ESO, NWO, GW2, SWTOR, Darkfall, AO, AC2, Vanguard, CoH/V, EnB, EVE, Neocron, FE, EQ, EQ2, DAoC, FFXI, FFXIV, SWG, WoW, and billions of eastern junks!

ereyethirn

Novice Member

1/03/13 4:13:55 PM#56
I agree with the OP, I found tera's combat extremely irritating, but that doesn't mean combat can't move foward... If we keep tab targeting  and move foward with better tab targeting combat systems then I would be extremely happy.
  ice-vortex

Apprentice Member

1/03/13 4:27:40 PM#57
Action combat is not only aiming. It's like saying Ninja Gaiden isn't action combat because you don't aim.
  nariusseldon

Elite Member

1/03/13 4:27:56 PM#58

I dont' even remember what D3 combat was like even though I'm paragon 100.  Havn't touch that game in a while.

FIrst of all, D3 isn't your typical MMORPG.  People call them ARPG, I just call them 3d side scrolling game.  Mainly you can't turn camera angle.  And what really make it action oriented is because it is limited to 4 players.  They have less technicle issue with less people involve.

And I shouldn't say FPS, I meant to say action oriented combat where you have to aim yourself, dodge, block etc to me "should be" more popular compare to auto target games.  But I'm no game researcher and I'm probably wrong.  That is just my guess. 

Gosh .. paragon 100 .. how many hours did you play? I am playing for a long while and still like paragon 46.

But back to the point ... this is about whether a game is MMO or not ... and about action combat. FPSes, for example, are not MMOs.

And you do have to aim, dodge (but not block) in D3. It is called an action RPG, precisely because its combat is very actiony. And the point is that FPS is not the only kind. TPS are also very actiony, and in fact, in many 3rd person game, like Darksider 2, blocking is even more important than FPS.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

1/03/13 4:28:23 PM#59
Ereyethirn

And why can't it be used in a mmorpg?

If you took a game like planetside, but you crafted weapons and vehicles, built bases and it had pve continents would that not be a mmorpg?

Or if you took a game like wow, but mages manually aimed their fireballs and warriors could lift their shields up to deflect them, would that not be a mmorpg?

Tab Target doesn't make a game anymore mmorpg than action combat.
  the420kid

Advanced Member

1/03/13 4:32:49 PM#60

Check into darkfall UW if you got the balls..  No tab target, massive rpg elements, fps / tps style range combat, realistic melee swinging, Full loot pvp system..

The games not ready in fact its far from ready but when it is if you are serious about competative PvP and want to have all the rpg elements like skill gains, gear gains etc Check this game out I am enjoying it but its far from ready for release atm.

6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search