Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Dragon Age: Inquisition | EverQuest | Skyforge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,029 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,292,203
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Tab Targeting is Here to Stay Folks

6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search
118 posts found
  Razeekster

Spotlight Poster

May the game be ever in your favor.

OP  1/03/13 12:51:51 PM#1

No offence, but people really really need to get over the fact that not every MMO has action combat! Action combat is not a common feature in MMOs like players are trying to make it seem! There are only a couple games that even have it in the West! Tab targetting is mainly what you will find in most MMOs. Players see a couple games with a feature and start acting like it's ridiculous that this feature isn't in every MMO.

I'm not sure if it's because like many say, players act like they are entitled, or if they truly think that tab targeting is an outdated feature. I've talked to other players who say they actually prefer tab targeting. Action combat like TERA has caters to certain people and I don't think these people realize that not every player actually wants action combat in every MMO. I say this because every new game I see coming out without action combat I see players complaining about the lack of this feature.

I also don't think that players realize that a game engine has to be specifically built around action combat if they want to include it. It's not exactly an "easy" feature to add, and that money could be spent more wisely. Like creating new features that other MMOs don't have. That is why it makes me happy that there hasn't been a large uprising of action combat MMOs and it looks like 2013 will once again be the year of tab targeting. Something that personally makes me happy (I have nothing against action combat but I do not want every MMO to have it).

Smile

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

1/03/13 1:16:19 PM#2
Disagree planetside style combat is the future. The only reason for tab Target is we didnt have the tech or internet structure back then.
  Phaserlight

Advanced Member

Do you want to improve the world? I don't think it can be done. -Lao Tzu

1/03/13 1:21:36 PM#3
Except we did.  I was playing Vendetta Online in 2003 when literally *no-one* was doing the aim / twitch thing in MMORPGs.  Now it's all the rage, I guess.  It doesn't make a difference to me; different playstyles for different people, I guess.  I feel like I should be in one of those "I was playing aim-based combat before it was cool" memes.  Maybe someone will make one for me.

"To be what you are not, experience what you are not." -Saint John of the Cross
Authored 110 missions in Vendetta Online
Check it out on Steam

vandal5627

Advanced Member

1/03/13 1:22:17 PM#4
Originally posted by ShakyMo
Disagree planetside style combat is the future. The only reason for tab Target is we didnt have the tech or internet structure back then.

Not everyone wants action combat.  I will never touch an action combat based RPG but i will play the hell out of a non action combat RPG.  There is room for both styles and action combat will not take over any time soon or ever.

Tjed

Apprentice Member

1/03/13 1:22:46 PM#5
I prefer tab targeting in my MMO.  I like super twitchy action based combat and I love a good FPS, but I like those better as multi player games.  If it's going to be a group oriented deep MMO that I am going to dedicate years to, then I want to keep it simple with tab targeting and make the other aspects of the game complicated.
  nariusseldon

Hard Core Member

1/03/13 1:23:33 PM#6

I think it is just preference. The PS style combat is under represented because of technology involved .. not since we have it .. we will see more of it. But at the end, both style combat will co-exist.

Not everyone like actony combat (although i do), but at the same time, many do.

Razeekster

Spotlight Poster

OP  1/03/13 1:24:04 PM#7
Originally posted by vandal5627

Not everyone wants action combat.  I will never touch an action combat based RPG but i will play the hell out of a non action combat RPG.  There is room for both styles and action combat will not take over any time soon or ever.

Exactly how I feel. I enjoy both but unlike some people I would never want one to dominate over the other. If every MMO was action combat based I would no longer be playing MMOs.

Smile

Badaboom

Hard Core Member

1/03/13 1:24:15 PM#8
I prefer non-tab target games. 
  azzamasin

Hard Core Member

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality.

1/03/13 1:25:13 PM#9
Originally posted by Razeekster

No offence, but people really really need to get over the fact that not every MMO has action combat! Action combat is not a common feature in MMOs like players are trying to make it seem! There are only a couple games that even have it in the West! Tab targetting is mainly what you will find in most MMOs. Players see a couple games with a feature and start acting like it's ridiculous that this feature isn't in every MMO.

I'm not sure if it's because like many say, players act like they are entitled, or if they truly think that tab targeting is an outdated feature. I've talked to other players who say they actually prefer tab targeting. Action combat like TERA has caters to certain people and I don't think these people realize that not every player actually wants action combat in every MMO. I say this because every new game I see coming out without action combat I see players complaining about the lack of this feature.

I also don't think that players realize that a game engine has to be specifically built around action combat if they want to include it. It's not exactly an "easy" feature to add, and that money could be spent more wisely. Like creating new features that other MMOs don't have. That is why it makes me happy that there hasn't been a large uprising of action combat MMOs and it looks like 2013 will once again be the year of tab targeting. Something that personally makes me happy (I have nothing against action combat but I do not want every MMO to have it).

Disagreed

Tab target, Static, boring, slow, trade-blows, turn based MMO combat is dieing the slow death it deserves.  Highly anticipated games like ArchAge would do wise to scrap their WoW style combat and reinvent themselves to at least follow GW2's hybrid action style combat.

If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

vandal5627

Advanced Member

1/03/13 1:28:33 PM#10
Originally posted by azzamasin

Disagreed

Tab target, Static, boring, slow, trade-blows, turn based MMO combat is dieing the slow death it deserves.  Highly anticipated games like ArchAge would do wise to scrap their WoW style combat and reinvent themselves to at least follow GW2's hybrid action style combat.

They would be wise to have a whole lot of content for people to do not reinvent a type of combat that only certain people want.

Razeekster

Spotlight Poster

OP  1/03/13 1:29:40 PM#11
Originally posted by azzamasin

Disagreed

I underlined "turn based MMO combat is dieing" because that is 100% false. If that were true than there would be more than two open world action combat MMOs in the West. There isn't. The only two are TERA and RaiderZ. I could count Guild Wars 2, but that's a bit different to me as it's not truly at that full level of action combat like those two others are.

Most MMOs that are coming out in 2013 are what? Not action combat. Nope, they are tab target. Like I said I enjoy both, but tab target is not dying. It's here to stay.

Smile

GrayGhost79

Apprentice Member

1/03/13 1:31:08 PM#12

It comes down to two things really... 

1) Some games work better with Tab Targeting and Some don't.

2) Personal preference. Some people just prefer one system over the other.

Both are here to stay, we are simply going to see more of the non tab targeting or hybrid systems than we have in the past. I would actually expect more developers to use hybrid systems or systems like PS2 in the future due to an over saturation of tab targetting MMO's. It's also the new shiny and a nice sound bite so that alone would be a reason to use it for many developers lol. 

In the end they will both have their place and can co-exist. I would also expect to see games that incorporate both to give players options in the future. I've actually play tested one recently that is attempting to balance the two options so that both can co-exist in the same game. I can't give any details beyond that so... 

Tjed

Apprentice Member

1/03/13 1:31:53 PM#13
Originally posted by nariusseldon

I think it is just preference. The PS style combat is under represented because of technology involved .. not since we have it .. we will see more of it. But at the end, both style combat will co-exist.

Not everyone like actony combat (although i do), but at the same time, many do.

I agree that both styles will co-exist. 

I also really enjoy PS2, so maybe I was wrong when I said that I prefer tab targeting.  I think that line of thinking is going to lead me to the question of  "what is an MMO and what is not?"  that's an argument that's been done around here over and over and over again.  There will never be a perfect answer because it's so subjective. 

Kilrain

Hard Core Member

1/03/13 1:33:29 PM#14

According to Dragon's Prophet, it will be the new cool!

"Combat System | The Auto-Target system allows players easier target identification and easier attack commands during battle."

professional web programming and design.

vandal5627

Advanced Member

1/03/13 1:36:12 PM#15
Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Both are here to stay, we are simply going to see more of the non tab targeting or hybrid systems than we have in the past. I would actually expect more developers to use hybrid systems or systems like PS2 in the future due to an over saturation of tab targetting MMO's. It's also the new shiny and a nice sound bite so that alone would be a reason to use it for many developers lol. 

In the end they will both have their place and can co-exist. I would also expect to see games that incorporate both to give players options in the future. I've actually play tested one recently that is attempting to balance the two options so that both can co-exist in the same game. I can't give any details beyond that so... 

Great post.  It's not always so black and white, open up your mind peoples :) There are games with combat types for all of us, there's no reason to push one over the other because you enjoy it more.  Let other people enjoy what they enjoy as well.

Razeekster

Spotlight Poster

OP  1/03/13 1:36:21 PM#16
Originally posted by GrayGhost79

The thing is, many players make it sound like "action combat" is all the rage. While I enjoy it,I have to disagree with that. MMOs that have had action combat haven' done any better than MMOs with tab target. TERA wasn't a huge sweeping success was it? It's a good game as is but it's not groundbreaking. Neither was RaiderZ.

Smile

Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

1/03/13 1:37:05 PM#17
Originally posted by Badaboom
I prefer non-tab target games. 

I prefer...damn, I dunno. 

Played them all, it's never seemed terribly important.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

nariusseldon

Hard Core Member

1/03/13 1:37:42 PM#18
Originally posted by Tjed

I also really enjoy PS2, so maybe I was wrong when I said that I prefer tab targeting.  I think that line of thinking is going to lead me to the question of  "what is an MMO and what is not?"  that's an argument that's been done around here over and over and over again.  There will never be a perfect answer because it's so subjective. 

I don't think it is useful to even ask that question. I really don't care what is an MMO and what is not. It is jsut a convenient label of a group to games to me. It is much more useful to ask if a specific game is fun. If PS2 is fun, i will play it whether it is a MMO or not.

Back to combat .. i find whether combat is fun .. depends a lot on the details mechanics. "Tab targetting" is just one part of many moving wheels of combat. It can be fun .. it can be not fun.

Take an example. I don't like TOR combat. Too few targets, don't feel powerful as a Jedi. I like D3 combat ... sweep your disintegration beam, and you kill 20 mobs in a second, but have to watch out for fire on teh ground, mortars and other mob abilities. So you think i like action combat more than tab-targetting combat?

Not true. I also like space combat in STO. Totally tab targetting. However, the combat system is very star trekkie .. and capture capital ship combat well. facing is important. Turn rate is important. The combat is slow enough to use buffs like attack patterns, and re-balancing of shields.

So it is not about tab-targetting, but whether the whole package of combat mechanics is fun.

Tjed

Apprentice Member

1/03/13 1:42:45 PM#19
Originally posted by nariusseldon
Originally posted by Tjed

I don't think it is useful to even ask that question. I really don't care what is an MMO and what is not. It is jsut a convenient label of a group to games to me. It is much more useful to ask if a specific game is fun. If PS2 is fun, i will play it whether it is a MMO or not.

Back to combat .. i find whether combat is fun .. depends a lot on the details mechanics. "Tab targetting" is just one part of many moving wheels of combat. It can be fun .. it can be not fun.

Take an example. I don't like TOR combat. Too few targets, don't feel powerful as a Jedi. I like D3 combat ... sweep your disintegration beam, and you kill 20 mobs in a second, but have to watch out for fire on teh ground, mortars and other mob abilities. So you think i like action combat more than tab-targetting combat?

Not true. I also like space combat in STO. Totally tab targetting. However, the combat system is very star trekkie .. and capture capital ship combat well. facing is important. Turn rate is important. The combat is slow enough to use buffs like attack patterns, and re-balancing of shields.

So it is not about tab-targetting, but whether the whole package of combat mechanics is fun.

I agree... with nariusseldon... holy crap.

QSatu

Advanced Member

1/03/13 1:48:05 PM#20
I like how people are panicing b/c not 99% of mmos have tab based combat but that number dropped to like 85%. there are still faar more tab based games. The market is balancing itself. mmo world isn't synonymous with "fantasy tab target game with quests" anymore and that's a wonderful thing.
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search