Hard Core Member
I cut my teeth on RPG's using dice, then moved onto online play with EQ back in 1999. However, since then I feel that mmorpg's have taken a step back.. Sure the graphics became more complex, but does that mean that gameplay actually became better?.. As much as that can be agreed to disagree if it has, this is my Christmas wish..
World and Zones
- I would like to have a game that has a dynamic world that changes over time.. This doesn't mean only to what the devs want, but a world that can be manipulated by the players.. Using any major city like Stormwind or Freeport, there are always countless meaningless shops or locations that do nothing but take up space.. Why not change that.. Each factional city would have their own special racial perks, especially in crafting.. Back in the day of EQ, only 1 person could use the forge.. Lets take it further, and make it so that if enough people do crafting in Freeport for example a 2nd location becomes open for business.. In addition, as more people craft in Freeport, new NPC's appear offering new recipes and mats.. Some recipes would be general in nature, while others would be racial.. The concept here is that the city grows, or shrinks based on player interaction.. Not only cities, but also vendors away from the cities as well, or even roaming zone merchants..
- I like the world to be split up into zones.. Why Santa? Well I feel it adds a sense of uniqueness to each, plus it helps with loading the zone.. This also comes into play as well when I refer to mob agro.. I prefer mobs that don't lose agro if you run away 20 yards.. Santa I want the thrill of running away from a train.. choo choo
- Mobs in the zones need to be more aggressive.. This basically refers to agro radius and agro list.. If a wolf decides to attack you, it just isn't going to reset and stop chasing you because you ran away 30 feet.. If you are within a reasonable LoS distance they will chase you to the zone line :) or until someone magically alters it's mind..
- I also want to see most mobs in the zone to be soloable by any class, but I also want to see a mix of "camp" locations where many mobs are gathered and promote grouping.. Orc Camp 1 anyone? lol
- Santa I also want to see zonewide roaming mobs.. I miss the days of tracking my target, and that is hard to do if all games are going to do is have a spawn point where the mob NEVER leaves.. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..
- Please give me a game that has over a dozen unique classes.. I do not want homogonized holy trinity classes.. I like pure classes like warrior tanks, but I also want to see hybrid classes to such as the EQ ranger or druid..
- In addition make it so class abilities are not dependant on earning levels, but gaining skills.. If I as a warrior prefer to use a 1 handed sword, I gain skill in that, and ONLY that.. Gaining skill in that weapon doesn't happen in minutes or just overnight.. It takes days, weeks and months.. As a person gains skill in that sword, and they will naturally learn NEW abilities with that sword such as a new slashing move, or whirlwind for example.. The same logic will be used with shields and off items as well..
- A character stats can be customized at creation, but will never increase naturally.. If you are born with 2,000 hit points, that is all your character will have forever.. Your ability to survive a harder battle will depend upon you killing it faster then it does you.. So learn to use your sword better, and learn defense skills.. Mob's don't have levels either, they will hit and defend themselves based on their AI skills..
- Santa, please give us a crafting enviroment, that is more then just click "make all". as you watch TV.. I would like a mini game so to speak for crafting.. Absolutely NO MACRO's.. I also like to see crafting resemble that of the class skill system.. There aren't levels in crafting, but skills.. Certain recipes will become available to the crafter based on skills.. An example of this is a new leatherworker that is making leggings.. They just don't make the best stuff immediately, but need to craft that item over and over to increase their skill.. As they do, those items will naturally become better on their own.. A first attemped leggings might be "poor" quality with AC of 10, but as you skill up, said legging might actually become "fair" on it's own (so be alert).. As you continue to earn skill in making those leggings, you'll begin make more fair quality, which will eventually lead you to making "good" quality .. so on, and so on..
- However, Santa, just because I excell in making leggings, doesn't mean I automatically know how to make a superior tunic, or even a fair one.. Same applies to making tunics.. I have to skill up in making tunics as well..
- I would like it so that their are many levels of quality in a crafted product.. A crafter can be a master of one thing or a jack of all trades.. but to master everything will take time and lots of it..
- Racial crafting is an absolute must Santa.. I want players to be challenged to pick and choose where they call home.. Freeport human armor should be different then Elven , or Dwarven.. Different looks, slightly different stats, or abilities.. Same holds true here too as in skills.. Just because you are a master at making a human racial tunic,, doesn't mean you are a master at making elven armor.. You need to skill up in that..
- Oh, by the way Santa.. Did I tell you I like the idea that not all mats are available everywhere.. Mithril for example.. One can say titanium or other metals are regional as well.. Same with leathers and gems too.. etc etc..
Armor and gear
- Armor and gear are nice perks, but I do not want them to be the primary focus on whether one loses or wins a fight.. Gear should only give you an edge, not make you a God..
- Santa, please make it so crafted items are just as important if not more so then reward or treasure loot.. For the most part.. Also make it so that normal gear eventually has to leave the game as well.. Durability is a must.. A game shouldn't have a McDonald's sign in it.. "Billions and Billions" looted..
- Now Santa, I do want to occasionally see players loot or be rewarded with special items that does NOT suffer durability.. Example would be a magical short sword like "Sting" from LoTR.. In addition I believe these magical items should have limited soulbinding.. Here comes the tricky part.. I believe such special items should be very rare, maybe something like "epic" rewards.. As a result these items become "tuned" to the character.. If you normally spend your time killing goblins, that sword earns their OWN identity and experience as well as it's owner.. The more the player uses it, the better the two become as a "pair".. The sword for example will move from being a +2, to a +3 to maybe even a +5 or higher sword, However, if you were to give that sword to another player, it's special relationship is broken and the sword suffers a bonus hit.. YES, it can still reearn it's previous bonuses, but must do so with a new master..
- The idea here is that special armors (magic) should not become obsolete, but given a chance to grow with said character over time.. BTW.. that time being months and longer.. Don't expect Excalibur to be uber with you overnight.. :)
There is alot more on my Christmas list Santa, but I'm running out of ink.. If you can Santa, please leave my new game under the tree, or send it to me at " IndepthRPGgaming@I'msickoftodayscrap.com.." .. LOL