Trending Games | Pirate101 | Guild Wars 2 | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,900,203 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,269,116
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Need new classifications for MMO

8 posts found
  Arclan

Spotlight Poster

"Ideas are worthless. The only currency that holds any weight is the ability and drive to execute."

OP  12/21/12 1:27:28 PM#1

The Sandbox versus Themepark argument is clouded. Clouded by the vague definition of 'what is a Sandbox.'

For me, all that really matters is whether or not the game holds my hand (firmly) throughout the entire gaming experience. Or whether players are left to their own devices to figure things out.

All this other stuff about PvP, Player Made Content, Housing, etc., are all just clouding the issue.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit
video game company layoffs are twice the national average.

VengeSunsoar

Apprentice Member

Be Brief, Be Bright... Be Gone.

12/21/12 1:32:26 PM#2

In games that do hold your hand, such as WoW, do you not have the ability to ignore that and go where you choose?  do what you want (mostly)?

I say you do, so the hand holding thing is just as murky as all the other stuff you mentioned. 

Quit worrying about other players in a game and just play.

Arclan

Spotlight Poster

"Ideas are worthless. The only currency that holds any weight is the ability and drive to execute."

OP  12/21/12 1:39:08 PM#3

Yes players can go off and do their own thing. But the vast majority of xp in themeparks comes from completing simpleton tasks. The experience penalty for going off the path, so to speak, is severe.

So while you were not physically forced to follow the path, you were effectively forced to do so.

In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

VengeSunsoar

Apprentice Member

12/21/12 1:54:23 PM#4

Not really.  Again using WoW you can dungeon for more xp than quests, you can stay in the scripted quest path or you can go to a completely different area and pick up quests there.

Yes there is a severe penalty if you were just going to mob grind but there are quests everywhere.  There is no need or reason, xp or otherwise to stay on the first path.

Again using WoW.  IF i start of in Teldrassil and I don't like it there are 3 other areas I can go to with just as much xp if I want. 

edit - swtor being the exception, no you really couldn't go anywhere but your starting area.

apocoluster

Advanced Member

\m/,

12/21/12 2:02:49 PM#5
This got derailed quick  lol

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

apocoluster

Advanced Member

\m/,

12/21/12 2:04:03 PM#6
Originally posted by Arclan

The Sandbox versus Themepark argument is clouded. Clouded by the vague definition of 'what is a Sandbox.'

For me, all that really matters is whether or not the game holds my hand (firmly) throughout the entire gaming experience. Or whether players are left to their own devices to figure things out.

All this other stuff about PvP, Player Made Content, Housing, etc., are all just clouding the issue.

So you pretty much wanna play the old school MMOs

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

VengeSunsoar

Apprentice Member

12/21/12 2:09:51 PM#7
Originally posted by apocoluster
This got derailed quick  lol

Not really.  His premise was about hand-holding.  I'm attacking that premise saying it's false, if the premise is false, the conclusion is not valid. 

Arclan

Spotlight Poster

OP  12/21/12 2:35:51 PM#8

Well, you are offering your opinion, which is great. I wouldn't call it attacking anyone's premise, lol.