Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | Heroes of the Storm | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,643,897 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,077,567
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Best MMORPG you've never played

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search
46 posts found
  Zyzra

Novice Member

OP  12/20/12 11:48:35 AM#1

There are a lot of choices when it comes to picking MMORPGs to play.  Some appeal to each individual more than others, and people of course have genre specific preferences too.

So my question is, what is the best MMORPG that is released that you have never played?

A game you've heard about constantly, but perhaps is a different genre than you enjoy, or has a feature you can't stand.

apocoluster

Advanced Member

\m/,

12/20/12 11:50:40 AM#2

HKO  :)

...to be honest, for me atleast, If there is even the slightest bit of interest, nothing will stop me from looking. 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

Axehandle

Novice Member

12/20/12 11:54:54 AM#3

This doesn't even make sense.

Not to blow my own horn but in the thread I started its about the best MMORPG people have experienced. How the heck would anyone know how good it is in their opinion if they never played it?

Thats like saying I know you were born in 1995 but tell me about your experiences of the 1960s.

Express your opinion

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/371172/Poll-Most-hated-MMORPG.html

Maelwydd

Hard Core Member

12/20/12 11:57:10 AM#4

No sure if it really applies as I have tried to play the game a number of times...

EVE

It is a good looking game, well designed, has stuck to its design without caving in to demand from other genre's, have a very complex and appealing crafting, character development and trade structure...

But every time I try to play the game I get bored stiff and honestly cannot stand offline levelling as an idea. I find every time I try EVE I choose something to level up and then go play another game waiting because it is more exciting to do so.

I certainly understand how people can get drawn into the game but I play for fun, seriously when I play, but for fun and EVE has always felt too much like work.

Plus a friend of mine years ago played EVE a lot and really put me off the game. He was married, with a kid, didn't work, just played EVE all day. Couldn't get a job because of it. No game should do that to a person.

So my vote if for EVE as it is everything a game should be except fun (for me).

Axehandle

Novice Member

12/20/12 11:59:33 AM#5
Originally posted by Maelwydd

No sure if it really applies as I have tried to play the game a number of times...

EVE

It is a good looking game, well designed, has stuck to its design without caving in to demand from other genre's, have a very complex and appealing crafting, character development and trade structure...

But every time I try to play the game I get bored stiff and honestly cannot stand offline levelling as an idea. I find every time I try EVE I choose something to level up and then go play another game waiting because it is more exciting to do so.

I certainly understand how people can get drawn into the game but I play for fun, seriously when I play, but for fun and EVE has always felt too much like work.

Plus a friend of mine years ago played EVE a lot and really put me off the game. He was married, with a kid, didn't work, just played EVE all day. Couldn't get a job because of it. No game should do that to a person.

So my vote if for EVE as it is everything a game should be except fun (for me).

That doesn't count my friend. The guy is asking what's the best game you've never played as in you never installed it and have no experience with it. Basically tell us how much you enjoyed the game you never played even 1 second of it.

Mind blowing isn't it.

Express your opinion

Foomerang

Hard Core Member

A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

12/20/12 12:12:04 PM#6

FFXI

Always wanted to check it out. But it launched same time as SWG and I never got around to it. I will probably get it next time Im feeling the urge.

If you thought the events were dynamic, you'll think the stories are living.

Zyzra

Novice Member

OP  12/20/12 12:30:23 PM#7

For me it might be Fallen Earth.

I've heard and read of it having interesting crafting, classless systems, and quite the open world.

Never played it because I don't really enjoy post-apoc game genre.  I prefer straight up sci-fi, or fantasy mostly.

Also for those trying to get a Handle on this thread, it's just for people to talk about games they've heard are decent, but why they chose to not even try them.

It's meant to be a bit lighthearted, but yes if you feel you can't accurately decide on an advanced rating scale for games you haven't played and this totally kills your asperger fueled OCD about which one to pick to write, then sure, no need to contribute.

I just thought it'd be interesting to see people say "Always heard X was good, didn't try it because Y" if that's not too much to axe.

Axehandle

Novice Member

12/20/12 12:39:11 PM#8
Originally posted by Zyzra

if that's not too much to axe.

Oh you little trickster and your chicanery.

Express your opinion

Phaserlight

Apprentice Member

Do you want to improve the world? I don't think it can be done. -Lao Tzu

12/20/12 12:46:17 PM#9
Guild Wars 2

"To be what you are not, experience what you are not." -Saint John of the Cross
Authored 110 missions in Vendetta Online
Check it out on Steam

Corthala

Advanced Member

12/20/12 12:48:56 PM#10

WOW

GW2

"you are like the world revenge on sarcasm, you know that?"

One of those great lines from The Secret World

Trudge34

Advanced Member

12/20/12 12:59:42 PM#11
SWG for me. By the time I was ready to try something other than EQ because I hit a standstill with my progression, I'd already heard about the Combat Upgrade through the grapevine in EQ and how it wrecked a big portion of the game. Never really gave it a lot of thought after that.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
80 Sylvari Ranger

User Deleted
12/20/12 1:02:06 PM#12
Ultima online, didn't get into MMO's until EQ.
  Theocritus

Apprentice Member

12/20/12 2:44:49 PM#13
    Its a tie between classic DAoC and pre-NCU SWG.....I never played either but according to alot of posters here they were the two greatest games ever created......
  Theocritus

Apprentice Member

12/20/12 2:46:42 PM#14
Originally posted by Wolfenpride
Ultima online, didn't get into MMO's until EQ.

Hahaha dont let the people here fool you...UO was a disaster until Trammel came along...Before that people jsut lie in wait outside the gates of Brittain and ganked everybody.....It was a brutal game that only appealed to a few.....ALot of us were thrilled when EQ came along and gave us a real game to play.

Arglebargle

Elite Member

12/20/12 2:46:58 PM#15
What's the smartest thought I never had?

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Zyzra

Novice Member

OP  12/20/12 3:16:49 PM#16
Originally posted by Arglebargle
What's the smartest thought I never had?

Oh I know the answer to that one!

"The thoughts of anyone else"

maplestone

Advanced Member

12/20/12 3:30:14 PM#17
Given how much nostalgia people have for it, I'm curious what the harvesting/crafting in SWG felt like in practice ... there's only so far my imagination can extrapolate from reading old documentation and I'm still not completely sold on it from the raw theory.
  Le_Nick

Novice Member

"I may not be there yet , but im closer then yesterday"

12/20/12 3:44:37 PM#18

World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 2.

Especially the second one. ;)

Youtuber & Gamer!
Come and check me out:
http://www.youtube.com/user/TwoGamingDogs

TribeofOne

Advanced Member

12/20/12 3:49:43 PM#19
Aion , maybe..
  superniceguy

Elite Member

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

12/20/12 4:02:06 PM#20

Guild Wars 2.

Best for the masses, as briefly it topped WOW on Xfire charts when it released.

Probably not best for me though

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search