Trending Games | Trove | Elder Scrolls Online | Guild Wars 2 | Shroud of the Avatar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,768,134 Users Online:0
Games:720  Posts:6,186,587
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Can another company make a Star Wars mmorpg?

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
57 posts found
  Gardavsshade

Apprentice Member

12/19/12 12:30:07 PM#41
Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Gardavsshade
Thebigthrill...... do you mean "Can another company make an Adult In-depth old school quality Star Wars MMO"?

If that is what you are really asking then here is my answer, my opinion....

I believe the answer will always be NO as long as LA (or Disney now) has any connection to the IP. I see little difference in George Lucas and Lucas Arts then vs. Disney now. Both target their core products at children, not Adults. Both consider Clane War Adventures a win, and I .... well.... don't. It's a blasted cartoon. Just like.... nope, I won't say it here.... too much rotten fruit too easily accessible...

As long as companies like Lucas Arts, and Disney, own the Star Wars IP, companies who specialize in selling products to children, as long as they hold the IP there will be no Adult centered MMO like some of us crave. Much of what could be possible content in a Star Wars MMO setting will simple be kept out, censored out, or edited out.

Look to other Science Fiction IPs if you seek an Adult quality and content MMO experience. The Force is for kids.

(SOE and SWG proved Star Wars could be a great IP framework for Adults in a MMO, but most of the Suits just didn't "get it". Our opportunity is gone with this IP.)

What's to get? They sell many millions of copies of games targeted at kids. They sell less than a million copies of a game targeted at adults. Which one of these do you think they're going to pursue long term?

Just because a product is great for the people who buy doesn't mean the product is any good for the company that's producing it.

An IP like Star Wars can be milked for more profits than what is generated from products targetted for children. So much more. That is the opportunity the Suits don't get.

If your eyes are open enough to criticise me, then they are open enough to see what I am talking about.

Nothing to see here... just another MMO Ghost....

superniceguy

Apprentice Member

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

12/19/12 12:30:53 PM#42
Originally posted by erictlewis

Well I guess disney could issue another license, is that going to happen. I don't think so as it would need to be something already not covered. 

I think were stuck with swtor, until disney decidees to shut the license down, or when the license runs out.  Does anybody know how long the license for swtor is anyways?

Probably not long.

If EA are smart, my guess is they took a short term licence, considering the cost of the game, then planned to renew a longer one with the profits. Also I doubt they would have done F2P this soon, if they had a long licence, plus string out the content. If they had a long term kcence, I would imagine they would be getting the devs to do more than they have been doing (which is just reannouncing / repackaging content already announced)

Onomas

Novice Member

Sandbox is your only hope for a decent mmo ;)

12/19/12 12:33:34 PM#43

Originally posted by Gardavsshade
Thebigthrill...... do you mean "Can another company make an Adult In-depth old school quality Star Wars MMO"?

If that is what you are really asking then here is my answer, my opinion....

I believe the answer will always be NO as long as LA (or Disney now) has any connection to the IP. I see little difference in George Lucas and Lucas Arts then vs. Disney now. Both target their core products at children, not Adults. Both consider Clane War Adventures a win, and I .... well.... don't. It's a blasted cartoon. Just like.... nope, I won't say it here.... too much rotten fruit too easily accessible...

As long as companies like Lucas Arts, and Disney, own the Star Wars IP, companies who specialize in selling products to children, as long as they hold the IP there will be no Adult centered MMO like some of us crave. Much of what could be possible content in a Star Wars MMO setting will simple be kept out, censored out, or edited out.

Look to other Science Fiction IPs if you seek an Adult quality and content MMO experience. The Force is for kids.

(SOE and SWG proved Star Wars could be a great IP framework for Adults in a MMO, but most of the Suits just didn't "get it". Our opportunity is gone with this IP.)

What's to get? They sell many millions of copies of games targeted at kids. They sell less than a million copies of a game targeted at adults. Which one of these do you think they're going to pursue long term?

Just because a product is great for the people who buy doesn't mean the product is any good for the company that's producing it.

SWG sold over a million copies.

If SWG was released today, it would have done great. NGE which many claimed to have killed SWG is no worse than any of the themepark games released today. I think it would have blended in nicely lol.

kitarad

Advanced Member

12/19/12 12:51:56 PM#44
This is my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. I think MMOs are no longer really profitable esp since subs are going out of style like bell bottoms . So companies looking at cost to make one will not be so eager anymore to invest the huge amount of money and then the grief that comes after to maintain them. They would rarther make single player games or console games. I doubt Disney will market MMOS for the PC maybe an fps or some other lobby game for Xbox or PS but not a full fledged MMO.

Torgrim

Spotlight Poster

12/19/12 1:00:20 PM#45
Elite+EVE+SW IP+freedom=Success.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

lizardbones

Elite Member

I've become dependent upon spell check. My apologies for stupid grammatical errors.

12/19/12 1:39:09 PM#46

Originally posted by Onomas

Originally posted by Gardavsshade Thebigthrill...... do you mean "Can another company make an Adult In-depth old school quality Star Wars MMO"?   If that is what you are really asking then here is my answer, my opinion.... I believe the answer will always be NO as long as LA (or Disney now) has any connection to the IP. I see little difference in George Lucas and Lucas Arts then vs. Disney now. Both target their core products at children, not Adults. Both consider Clane War Adventures a win, and I .... well.... don't. It's a blasted cartoon. Just like.... nope, I won't say it here.... too much rotten fruit too easily accessible... As long as companies like Lucas Arts, and Disney, own the Star Wars IP, companies who specialize in selling products to children, as long as they hold the IP there will be no Adult centered MMO like some of us crave. Much of what could be possible content in a Star Wars MMO setting will simple be kept out, censored out, or edited out. Look to other Science Fiction IPs if you seek an Adult quality and content MMO experience. The Force is for kids. (SOE and SWG proved Star Wars could be a great IP framework for Adults in a MMO, but most of the Suits just didn't "get it". Our opportunity is gone with this IP.)  
What's to get? They sell many millions of copies of games targeted at kids. They sell less than a million copies of a game targeted at adults. Which one of these do you think they're going to pursue long term? Just because a product is great for the people who buy doesn't mean the product is any good for the company that's producing it.  

If SWG was released today, it would have done great. NGE which many claimed to have killed SWG is no worse than any of the themepark games released today. I think it would have blended in nicely lol.

Why would SWG do better now than it did then? It sold fewer copies and peaked with fewer players than EQ, and did not have that many more players than Ultima Online, both of which were far older games than SWG. Changing the release date isn't going to turn a mediocre performer into a mega-hit.

SWG was not successful compared to games that released before it, after it and especially not compared to other games based on the Star Wars IP. The last one is the most important one. Star Wars games that aren't MMOs generate so much more revenue than the MMOs, it doesn't make sense that Disney should spend money on the MMOs.

If Disney is thinking about writing a video game based on the Star Wars IP, it is probably not going to be an MMO.

** edit **
SWG isn't coming back. Get over it already.

** edit edit **
The difference between selling 900k and 1,100k copies doesn't mean much.

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

daltanious

Hard Core Member

12/21/12 8:23:16 AM#47
Originally posted by Thebigthrill

I know EA/Bioware have the Star Wars license.

Is it possible for another company to aproach Disney and pitch another Star Wars mmorpg?

Could SOE reopen SWG?

Or are we stuck with SWTOR until the license expires? and what happens when SWTOR shuts down before the license expires?

Are Star Wars fans pretty much screwed and were stuck with SWTOR for the next 10 years? Please say it aint so.

I just hope things stay as they are, I'm very very happy with.

Arclan

Spotlight Poster

"Ideas are worthless. The only currency that holds any weight is the ability and drive to execute."

12/21/12 2:13:50 PM#48

Well SWTOR should dispell the myth that Lucas Arts had any involvement in SWG or SWTOR other than accepting $ for the license. Because if LA spent any time at all evaluating SWTOR, they would have learned how short-sighted a game it was; just like everyone else has.

P L A N E T S I D E 1 is up !! check PS1 forum for link to current installer.
Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit
video game company layoffs are twice the national average.

Loktofeit

Elite Member

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, Wildstar, and Combat Arms

12/21/12 2:15:09 PM#49

I know EA/Bioware have the Star Wars license.

Is it possible for another company to aproach Disney and pitch another Star Wars mmorpg?

Could SOE reopen SWG?

Or are we stuck with SWTOR until the license expires? and what happens when SWTOR shuts down before the license expires?

Are Star Wars fans pretty much screwed and were stuck with SWTOR for the next 10 years? Please say it aint so.

https://www.clonewarsadventures.com

Kabaal

Novice Member

Haggis Humper

12/21/12 2:20:42 PM#50
Originally posted by Arclan

Well SWTOR should dispell the myth that Lucas Arts had any involvement in SWG or SWTOR other than accepting $ for the license. Because if LA spent any time at all evaluating SWTOR, they would have learned how short-sighted a game it was; just like everyone else has.

Lucasarts were and are about making money, not about making the best product they possibly can. The original Star Wars trilogy is something Lucas has never been able to replicate but from it he turned into a very very shrewd businessman. SWG was a blip on the radar for him and the company out of hundreds of others, it was a very good cenceptual game but made little profit. TOR was the next investment, nothing more.

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

knightaudit

Apprentice Member

Those are my thoughts, not yours

12/21/12 2:27:44 PM#51

I think if anyone were to "Redo" Star wars there is a few things that have to be done first.

1) Find out what players want in a game, does it need to be a sandbox, themepark or something inbetween.

2) Know where the games that came before went wrong and DO NOT DO THE SAME THING .. Or be close to the same thing.

3) make sure the world breathes and feels like a world in Star Wars ... not a static place (SWTOR ... have youy heard of night and day?)

4) I have been asking for this a long time .... Customizable ships ... Not just add ons but ones that change the look and style of your ship. Hell even a paint job works.

These are just some of what a future developer needs to look at and plan before even starting to work on development. If they can not make it feel like Star Wars ... Slapping the logo on it will not make it one.

jdnewell

Elite Member

12/21/12 2:29:50 PM#52

Its going to be all about the numbers.

If the next Star Wars movies are a huge success and generate alot of new fans of the IP then you might see another SW MMO.

There have already been two. The first is shut down, the second is on a steady decline. I doubt its even on the list of things to do at this point.

What I expect to see is console games tied in with the new movie. If those are a raging success then maybe an MMO is considered.

ThomasN7

Apprentice Member

"Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.” - Mordin Solus

12/21/12 2:33:49 PM#53
I got an idea. How about developers make their own sci-fi space opera from scratch. Why didn't I think of this before, it's a brilliant idea!
  Shannia

Novice Member

"World of WarCraft is held alive solely by the mediocrity of competing products." RendRegen

12/21/12 2:36:04 PM#54
Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw
Originally posted by erictlewis

Well I guess disney could issue another license, is that going to happen. I don't think so as it would need to be something already not covered. 

I think were stuck with swtor, until disney decidees to shut the license down, or when the license runs out.  Does anybody know how long the license for swtor is anyways?

If I were to venture a guess, there are performance stipulations on the IP agreement. It wouldn't be a case of 'you pay us $x-amount and do whatever you want'.

Walt Lucas/BioWare/EA all know where the buck stops.

Yep, in Mickey's pocket.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

madazz

Apprentice Member

12/21/12 2:40:59 PM#55

Originally posted by Gardavsshade Thebigthrill...... do you mean "Can another company make an Adult In-depth old school quality Star Wars MMO"?   If that is what you are really asking then here is my answer, my opinion.... I believe the answer will always be NO as long as LA (or Disney now) has any connection to the IP. I see little difference in George Lucas and Lucas Arts then vs. Disney now. Both target their core products at children, not Adults. Both consider Clane War Adventures a win, and I .... well.... don't. It's a blasted cartoon. Just like.... nope, I won't say it here.... too much rotten fruit too easily accessible... As long as companies like Lucas Arts, and Disney, own the Star Wars IP, companies who specialize in selling products to children, as long as they hold the IP there will be no Adult centered MMO like some of us crave. Much of what could be possible content in a Star Wars MMO setting will simple be kept out, censored out, or edited out. Look to other Science Fiction IPs if you seek an Adult quality and content MMO experience. The Force is for kids. (SOE and SWG proved Star Wars could be a great IP framework for Adults in a MMO, but most of the Suits just didn't "get it". Our opportunity is gone with this IP.)  
What's to get? They sell many millions of copies of games targeted at kids. They sell less than a million copies of a game targeted at adults. Which one of these do you think they're going to pursue long term? Just because a product is great for the people who buy doesn't mean the product is any good for the company that's producing it.  

Why would SWG do better now than it did then? It sold fewer copies and peaked with fewer players than EQ, and did not have that many more players than Ultima Online, both of which were far older games than SWG. Changing the release date isn't going to turn a mediocre performer into a mega-hit.

SWG was not successful compared to games that released before it, after it and especially not compared to other games based on the Star Wars IP. The last one is the most important one. Star Wars games that aren't MMOs generate so much more revenue than the MMOs, it doesn't make sense that Disney should spend money on the MMOs.

If Disney is thinking about writing a video game based on the Star Wars IP, it is probably not going to be an MMO.

** edit **
SWG isn't coming back. Get over it already.

** edit edit **
The difference between selling 900k and 1,100k copies doesn't mean much.

Well, there is a reason you've heard this quote before "It was a head of its time".

Muke

Hard Core Member

12/21/12 2:44:53 PM#56

Could SOE reopen SWG?

SOE has proven time and time again that they can't run MMO's and don't have a clue how to create one.....SW would not be in good hands with Smed&company again.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

lizardbones

Elite Member

I've become dependent upon spell check. My apologies for stupid grammatical errors.

12/21/12 2:51:15 PM#57

Originally posted by madazz

SWG sold over a million copies.   If SWG was released today, it would have done great. NGE which many claimed to have killed SWG is no worse than any of the themepark games released today. I think it would have blended in nicely lol.
Why would SWG do better now than it did then? It sold fewer copies and peaked with fewer players than EQ, and did not have that many more players than Ultima Online, both of which were far older games than SWG. Changing the release date isn't going to turn a mediocre performer into a mega-hit. SWG was not successful compared to games that released before it, after it and especially not compared to other games based on the Star Wars IP. The last one is the most important one. Star Wars games that aren't MMOs generate so much more revenue than the MMOs, it doesn't make sense that Disney should spend money on the MMOs. If Disney is thinking about writing a video game based on the Star Wars IP, it is probably not going to be an MMO. ** edit ** SWG isn't coming back. Get over it already. ** edit edit ** The difference between selling 900k and 1,100k copies doesn't mean much.  
Well, there is a reason you've heard this quote before "It was a head of its time".

I've heard the quote, but I don't see how it applies to SWG. I've seen the game. It was a somewhat random mix of three different ideas, none of which were fully realized and none of which really worked well.

It did attract a very loyal audience, just not a very big one.

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search