Trending Games | WildStar | Neverwinter | Star Wars: The Old Republic | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,639,604 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,074,219
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Can another company make a Star Wars mmorpg?

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
57 posts found
  Nadia

Elite Member

12/19/12 11:20:00 AM#21
Originally posted by JR4D

Never say never, but while Disney owns the license I seriously doubt we will see a mature Star Wars mmo ever again.

However I would be curious to see a Star Wars movie by Disney, I would assume they would use a type of Pirates of the Caribbean atmoshphere of a movie feel, but for the sake of anything that is Star Wars holy, please no Jar Jar Binks.

Disney owns Marvel too

i thought The Avengers movie was outstanding :)

GwapoJosh

Advanced Member

12/19/12 11:23:21 AM#22
Originally posted by Onomas

SWG+SWTOR = epic win.

Take the best from both games, add them together and blame game of the century.

SWG:

open worlds

space/combat

housing

crafting

business aspect

32 professions

classless/ mix&match players

lore

SWTOR:

Voice acting

quests

graphics

other stuff............

Dont see why they would have made TOR the way they did with such a following SWG had. Yeah even if you didnt like the NGE/CU you still liked other aspects of it before the changes. So yes take the best from both worlds and you got yourself a good mmo/sndbox/rpg game.

Nah.. I liked SWG graphics much more and SWTORs voice acting ended up being a MASSIVE waste of money *space*

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

Onomas

Hard Core Member

Sandbox is your only hope for a decent mmo ;)

12/19/12 11:26:03 AM#23
Originally posted by GwapoJosh

SWG+SWTOR = epic win.

Take the best from both games, add them together and blame game of the century.

SWG:

open worlds

space/combat

housing

crafting

business aspect

32 professions

classless/ mix&match players

lore

SWTOR:

Voice acting

quests

graphics

other stuff............

Dont see why they would have made TOR the way they did with such a following SWG had. Yeah even if you didnt like the NGE/CU you still liked other aspects of it before the changes. So yes take the best from both worlds and you got yourself a good mmo/sndbox/rpg game.

Nah.. I liked SWG graphics much more and SWTORs voice acting ended up being a MASSIVE waste of money *space*

I agree, but you have to please the themepark crowd also, they like eye candy and not having to read quests text ;)

JKwervo

Novice Member

12/19/12 11:30:17 AM#24

I wonder if the IP licensing was for Star Wars Old Republic stories.

I would like to have a NEW REPUBLIC type of MMO.

Zekiah

Novice Member

Hype (noun)
1. to trick; gull.
2. exaggerated publicity; hoopla.
3. swindle, deception, or trick.

12/19/12 11:31:55 AM#25
I don't trust any devs to make any quality game these days, let alone Star Wars.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

Yamota

Hard Core Member

There's a beast within every man that stirs when you put a sword in his hand

12/19/12 11:33:35 AM#26
Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam
While I'd love to see another game, I wonder if Lucas isn't gunshy about trying another MMO at this point.  Do they feel the failed attempts are damaging the brand more than any potential revenue would offset?

With all the console tripe which has been released using the SW IP, I doubt that it is possible to damage it any further...

Bob_Blawblaw

Apprentice Member

12/19/12 11:39:21 AM#27
Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam
While I'd love to see another game, I wonder if Lucas isn't gunshy about trying another MMO at this point.  Do they feel the failed attempts are damaging the brand more than any potential revenue would offset?

Ha ha, that would be the logical way to approach ones own obviously damaged IP, but it doesn't appear Lucas approaches it that way. With them it seems to be advance advance advance, never retreat, collect yourself, and strategize. Maybe under Walt things will be different (although if the announcements about a trilogy followed by a movie every two years on out says anything, it's that they're preparing to milk this mofo).

Darth-Batman

Advanced Member

Bruce, I am your father.

12/19/12 11:40:02 AM#28
I would think it would prove more difficult to make a bad star wars game than a good one, everything is right there in front of the devs to copy and paste. The problem with SWTOR is it didnt copy star wars, it copied wow and whos idea this was earned the fail of the decade award and probably helped ea win worst company of the year award as well. Smart people in charge of smart things...
  Rayshe

Apprentice Member

12/19/12 11:43:26 AM#29
If i am not mistaken there is a contract clause stating there can only be one SW IP MMO on the market. this is why SWG got shut down. So no unless SWTOR goes under there can only be one.

Because i can.
I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Bob_Blawblaw

Apprentice Member

12/19/12 11:52:38 AM#30
Originally posted by Rayshe
If i am not mistaken there is a contract clause stating there can only be one SW IP MMO on the market. this is why SWG got shut down. So no unless SWTOR goes under there can only be one.

Nobody knows what clause may or may not be in the contract, but it would certainly stand to reason they don't want to compete with themselves.

/tinfoilhatactivate

As I said previously, it would also stand to reason there are performance expectations on SWTOR in order to maintain said license... perhaps there's a reason SWTOR's announcements and focus in the last little while have been extremely desperate. There IS a bottom line. BioWarEA do not have the right to drag their feet and just sit on the IP and watch the numbers dwindle. They are contractually obligated to deliver a profit to Walt Lucas no matter what the upfront license fee may be. My guess is they are actually at risk of losing the license.

SWTOR F2P IS SWTOR's NGE

/tinfoilhatdeactivate 

lizardbones

Elite Member

I've become dependent upon spell check. My apologies for stupid grammatical errors.

12/19/12 11:55:32 AM#31

Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam While I'd love to see another game, I wonder if Lucas isn't gunshy about trying another MMO at this point.  Do they feel the failed attempts are damaging the brand more than any potential revenue would offset?
Ha ha, that would be the logical way to approach ones own obviously damaged IP, but it doesn't appear Lucas approaches it that way. With them it seems to be advance advance advance, never retreat, collect yourself, and strategize. Maybe under Walt things will be different (although if the announcements about a trilogy followed by a movie every two years on out says anything, it's that they're preparing to milk this mofo).

Their non-MMO products seem to do fine. It's one of the few video game franchises based on an existing IP to sell more than twenty million copies of something. The Star Wars franchise totals 38 million game units sold, with the Star Wars themed Lego game franchise selling twenty million game units by itself.

The best selling games have a purely video game IP and aren't based off a literary or movie IP. The one exception is Tom Clancy's stuff. The issue with the MMOs being mediocre isn't with the IP.

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

Bob_Blawblaw

Apprentice Member

12/19/12 11:59:57 AM#32
Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam While I'd love to see another game, I wonder if Lucas isn't gunshy about trying another MMO at this point.  Do they feel the failed attempts are damaging the brand more than any potential revenue would offset?

Their non-MMO products seem to do fine. It's one of the few video game franchises based on an existing IP to sell more than twenty million copies of something. The Star Wars franchise totals 38 million game units sold, with the Star Wars themed Lego game franchise selling twenty million game units by itself.

The best selling games have a purely video game IP and aren't based off a literary or movie IP. The one exception is Tom Clancy's stuff. The issue with the MMOs being mediocre isn't with the IP.

All I can say is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyj7hLGh5UE&playnext=1&list=PL2140817F06D3E393

Onomas

Hard Core Member

12/19/12 12:00:05 PM#33

I started off by asking John about the reason behind the cancellation and whether or not it was a matter of LucasArts choosing not to renew the contract with SOE.

John Smedley:
The decision to shut down SWG is first and foremost a business decision mutually agreed upon between SOE and LucasArts. LucasArts has a new game coming out, and the contract would be running out in 2012 anyway, so we feel like it's the right time for the game to end.

They could have kept both games running but SOE and LA decided not to. You already have 2 SW mmo's out now even after SWG shut down........... clone wars and TOR. Clone wars i do believe is another SOE/LA game ;) So having 1 SW game in the contract is not accurate.

Bob_Blawblaw

Apprentice Member

12/19/12 12:05:41 PM#34

I started off by asking John about the reason behind the cancellation and whether or not it was a matter of LucasArts choosing not to renew the contract with SOE.

John Smedley:
The decision to shut down SWG is first and foremost a business decision mutually agreed upon between SOE and LucasArts. LucasArts has a new game coming out, and the contract would be running out in 2012 anyway, so we feel like it's the right time for the game to end.

They could have kept both games running but SOE and LA decided not to. You already have 2 SW mmo's out now even after SWG shut down........... clone wars and TOR. Clone wars i do believe is another SOE/LA game ;) So having 1 SW game in the contract is not accurate.

1) Have you played SW Clone Wars? It's not an MMO. It's a game lobby.

2) That Smed quote is his way of saying 'I broke up with her first!'. Nothing that guy says can be believed.

I honestly mean that with all due respect to your post.

lizardbones

Elite Member

I've become dependent upon spell check. My apologies for stupid grammatical errors.

12/19/12 12:06:07 PM#35

Their non-MMO products seem to do fine. It's one of the few video game franchises based on an existing IP to sell more than twenty million copies of something. The Star Wars franchise totals 38 million game units sold, with the Star Wars themed Lego game franchise selling twenty million game units by itself. The best selling games have a purely video game IP and aren't based off a literary or movie IP. The one exception is Tom Clancy's stuff. The issue with the MMOs being mediocre isn't with the IP.  
All I can say is...

I'm not even sure I can watch that at work. Care to paraphrase?

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

Bob_Blawblaw

Apprentice Member

12/19/12 12:08:23 PM#36

Their non-MMO products seem to do fine. It's one of the few video game franchises based on an existing IP to sell more than twenty million copies of something. The Star Wars franchise totals 38 million game units sold, with the Star Wars themed Lego game franchise selling twenty million game units by itself. The best selling games have a purely video game IP and aren't based off a literary or movie IP. The one exception is Tom Clancy's stuff. The issue with the MMOs being mediocre isn't with the IP.  
All I can say is...

Kinnect Star Wars Dance.

lizardbones

Elite Member

12/19/12 12:13:36 PM#37

All I can say is...   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyj7hLGh5UE&playnext=1&list=PL2140817F06D3E393
Kinnect Star Wars Dance.

Heh. It probably outsold both MMOs.

The IP does sell games though. It sells books, movies, comics and toys as well. There's nothing wrong with the IP. If there was, Disney wouldn't have spent all that money buying the IP and the franchises that go with it.

They are definitely talking about making some more games. I would be really doubtful about them talking about writing another MMO...or a Dance game. Even if they are a lot of fun.

Onomas

Hard Core Member

12/19/12 12:17:25 PM#38

John Smedley:

1) Have you played SW Clone Wars? It's not an MMO. It's a game lobby.

2) That Smed quote is his way of saying 'I broke up with her first!'. Nothing that guy says can be believed.

I honestly mean that with all due respect to your post.

Clone wars is an mmo ;) Virtual world, mass amounts of players, crafting, housing, quests, player progession, etc......

Trust me, its hard for me to swallow saying that. As a sandbox junkie, but by all means it is a mmo perhaps not your average mmorpg, but still a massively multiplayer online game.

Gardavsshade

Advanced Member

12/19/12 12:18:55 PM#39

Thebigthrill...... do you mean "Can another company make an Adult In-depth old school quality Star Wars MMO"?

If that is what you are really asking then here is my answer, my opinion....

I believe the answer will always be NO as long as LA (or Disney now) has any connection to the IP. I see little difference in George Lucas and Lucas Arts then vs. Disney now. Both target their core products at children, not Adults. Both consider Clane War Adventures a win, and I .... well.... don't. It's a blasted cartoon. Just like.... nope, I won't say it here.... too much rotten fruit too easily accessible...

As long as companies like Lucas Arts, and Disney, own the Star Wars IP, companies who specialize in selling products to children, as long as they hold the IP there will be no Adult centered MMO like some of us crave. Asking LA or Disney to make good adult thememd mmo with an IP like Star Wars is quite franly an automatic fail. Their whole focus is Kids. Has been for years. Much of what could be possible content in aa adult centered and mature Star Wars MMO setting would simple be kept out, written out, censored out, or edited out.

Look to other Science Fiction IPs if you seek an Adult quality and content MMO experience. The Force is for kids now.

(SOE and SWG proved Star Wars could be a great IP framework for Adults in a MMO, but most of the Suits just didn't "get it". Our opportunity is gone with this IP.)

Nothing to see here... just another MMO Ghost....

lizardbones

Elite Member

12/19/12 12:26:48 PM#40

Originally posted by Gardavsshade
Thebigthrill...... do you mean "Can another company make an Adult In-depth old school quality Star Wars MMO"?

If that is what you are really asking then here is my answer, my opinion....

I believe the answer will always be NO as long as LA (or Disney now) has any connection to the IP. I see little difference in George Lucas and Lucas Arts then vs. Disney now. Both target their core products at children, not Adults. Both consider Clane War Adventures a win, and I .... well.... don't. It's a blasted cartoon. Just like.... nope, I won't say it here.... too much rotten fruit too easily accessible...

As long as companies like Lucas Arts, and Disney, own the Star Wars IP, companies who specialize in selling products to children, as long as they hold the IP there will be no Adult centered MMO like some of us crave. Much of what could be possible content in a Star Wars MMO setting will simple be kept out, censored out, or edited out.

Look to other Science Fiction IPs if you seek an Adult quality and content MMO experience. The Force is for kids.

(SOE and SWG proved Star Wars could be a great IP framework for Adults in a MMO, but most of the Suits just didn't "get it". Our opportunity is gone with this IP.)

What's to get? They sell many millions of copies of games targeted at kids. They sell less than a million copies of a game targeted at adults. Which one of these do you think they're going to pursue long term?

Just because a product is great for the people who buy doesn't mean the product is any good for the company that's producing it.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search