Trending Games | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Guild Wars 2 | EverQuest | Landmark

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,547 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,311,857
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Can another company make a Star Wars mmorpg?

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search
57 posts found
  Thebigthrill

Spotlight Poster

OP  12/19/12 8:55:55 AM#1

I know EA/Bioware have the Star Wars license.

Is it possible for another company to aproach Disney and pitch another Star Wars mmorpg?

Could SOE reopen SWG?

Or are we stuck with SWTOR until the license expires? and what happens when SWTOR shuts down before the license expires?

Are Star Wars fans pretty much screwed and were stuck with SWTOR for the next 10 years? Please say it aint so.

"Don't tell me what to do! , you're not my mod"

Saying invented by me.

drtack1

Apprentice Member

12/19/12 8:57:26 AM#2
The world may never know...........
  erictlewis

Advanced Member

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results.

12/19/12 8:57:43 AM#3

Well I guess disney could issue another license, is that going to happen. I don't think so as it would need to be something already not covered. 

I think were stuck with swtor, until disney decidees to shut the license down, or when the license runs out.  Does anybody know how long the license for swtor is anyways?

Thebigthrill

Spotlight Poster

OP  12/19/12 9:01:00 AM#4
I thought I read 10 years but I hope I'm wrong.

Saying invented by me.

Bob_Blawblaw

Novice Member

12/19/12 9:02:05 AM#5

There's certainly room in the marketplace for a new (ie: good) Star Wars MMO. It's pretty apparent to the IP holders that SWTOR ain't cutting it.

My guess is there are board meetings going on about this very topic.

shinkan

Novice Member

12/19/12 9:02:47 AM#6

If a new Star wars mmo gets made, it might be just be another sucky version of star wars universe... no guaranties that it will be what you want it to be.

Thebigthrill

Spotlight Poster

OP  12/19/12 9:04:00 AM#7
Originally posted by shinkan

If a new Star wars mmo gets made, it might be just be another sucky version of star wars universe... no guaranties that it will be what you want it to be.

I agree but with SWTOR as the only current option it cant be much worse.

Saying invented by me.

Bob_Blawblaw

Novice Member

12/19/12 9:04:31 AM#8
Originally posted by erictlewis

Well I guess disney could issue another license, is that going to happen. I don't think so as it would need to be something already not covered. 

I think were stuck with swtor, until disney decidees to shut the license down, or when the license runs out.  Does anybody know how long the license for swtor is anyways?

If I were to venture a guess, there are performance stipulations on the IP agreement. It wouldn't be a case of 'you pay us $x-amount and do whatever you want'.

Walt Lucas/BioWare/EA all know where the buck stops.

Bob_Blawblaw

Novice Member

12/19/12 9:05:09 AM#9
Originally posted by Thebigthrill
Originally posted by shinkan

I agree but with SWTOR as the only current option it cant be much worse.

Sadly, bang-on.

Whiskey_Sam

Advanced Member

Nemo me impune lacessit.

12/19/12 10:34:39 AM#10
While I'd love to see another game, I wonder if Lucas isn't gunshy about trying another MMO at this point.  Do they feel the failed attempts are damaging the brand more than any potential revenue would offset?

SlothnChunk

Novice Member

12/19/12 10:41:33 AM#11
Disney just bought Lucasfilm/Lucasarts so they will want to profit off the Star Wars IP. SWTOR isn't successful so I expect another Star Wars MMO to be in serious consideration.
  shinkan

Novice Member

12/19/12 10:41:44 AM#12

Uncertain about Disney's history when it comes to MMOs or what plans they have for the IP, but I have no large hopes they will churn out a mmo that I will appreciate.

hyllstarter

Apprentice Member

12/19/12 10:42:29 AM#13
If there is a new Star wars game. i'm sure Disney/Lucas Arts will make it. Now that Lucas arts is part of Disney they have to do more to pull there weight in the company then just license out stuff.

syntax.error

Hard Core Member

C64 Cracked Warez Intros FTW

12/19/12 10:45:30 AM#14

Never say never, but while Disney owns the license I seriously doubt we will see a mature Star Wars mmo ever again.

However I would be curious to see a Star Wars movie by Disney, I would assume they would use a type of Pirates of the Caribbean atmoshphere of a movie feel, but for the sake of anything that is Star Wars holy, please no Jar Jar Binks.

SlothnChunk

Novice Member

12/19/12 10:53:31 AM#15
Originally posted by JR4D

Never say never, but while Disney owns the license I seriously doubt we will see a mature Star Wars mmo ever again.

They would publish and/or develop it under the Lucasarts subsidiary. They do the same thing for R & PG-13 rated movies by using their subsidiary Touchstone Pictures.

MMOExposed

Spotlight Poster

12/19/12 12:09:55 PM#16
They should have had me as Lead developer of SWTOR. It would truly have been a next gen MMO.

lizardbones

Hard Core Member

I think with my heart and move with my head.-Kongos

12/19/12 12:13:45 PM#17

Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw
There's certainly room in the marketplace for a new (ie: good) Star Wars MMO. It's pretty apparent to the IP holders that SWTOR ain't cutting it.

My guess is there are board meetings going on about this very topic.

My guess would be those board meetings are about making games that actually make money. For instance, Star Wars themed Lego games and the like. I would not hold your breath for another SW MMO to come out any time soon.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Thorbrand

Novice Member

12/19/12 12:15:07 PM#18
I say just let the Star Wars IP die they already killed it to the point of no interest any longer.
  Maelwydd

Advanced Member

12/19/12 12:17:37 PM#19

There are plans for a further 3 new films (7, 8, 9).

There might also be plans to make games to tie in with these games (almost certainly).

There might be plans to make a new MMO using the new 3 films as backdrop  (does the current licence cover the new films/universe?).

Who knows what can be done. I didn't dislike SWTOR that much, thought for what it was it was fine, but I am spent on themepark games really so it had no lasting appeal. If they did a more open 'Universe' rather then just a set of quest hubs I would take a look but another themepark...nope.

Onomas

Novice Member

Sandbox is your only hope for a decent mmo ;)

12/19/12 12:18:54 PM#20

SWG+SWTOR = epic win.

Take the best from both games, add them together and blame game of the century.

SWG:

open worlds

space/combat

housing

crafting

business aspect

32 professions

classless/ mix&match players

lore

SWTOR:

Voice acting

quests

graphics

other stuff............

Dont see why they would have made TOR the way they did with such a following SWG had. Yeah even if you didnt like the NGE/CU you still liked other aspects of it before the changes. So yes take the best from both worlds and you got yourself a good mmo/sndbox/rpg game.

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search