Trending Games | Star Citizen | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Guild Wars 2 | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,453 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,311,635
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » How is Darkfall a Sandbox but not Planetside 2?

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
64 posts found
  Dauzqul

Spotlight Poster

12/19/12 5:23:15 PM#41

The OP brings up a good point.

I was thinking about purchasing Darkfall. However, after much research, it just seems like a gigantic PvP zone.

I want a game that's loaded with world PvP. Darkfall did this. However....

I want a game that's loaded with PvE content.

I want a game that's loaded with social tools and incentives, e.g., cantina/inn player gambling, LoTRO's musical instruments (battle of the band contests), social classes, professions, or skills (hair stylists, body surgeons, musicians, artists, etc).

I want a game that's laoded with deep crafting and player-driven economy.

I want a game that's loaded with player-built cities, world housing, and the ability to wage war on enemy player cities.

I want a game that takes over 1-2 hours to walk across one single area map.

I want a game that's loaded with lore (not personal story quests)

I want a game that's loaded with clothing, weapons, and armor - endless amounts for diversity.

I want a game that doesn't revolve around Hub-to-hub progression and auction house surfing.

Thorbrand

Novice Member

12/19/12 5:28:09 PM#42
Only sandbox game out is Xsyon but no one wants to play it because it is a sandbox. DF2 has much more character development PS2...Well nothing like PS1 and really it is just a larges scale FPS.
  Torgrim

Spotlight Poster

12/20/12 4:20:51 AM#43
Originally posted by mmoDAD

The OP brings up a good point.

Not really.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Scot

Elite Member

12/20/12 4:49:36 AM#44

The OP was not totally of the mark, in the spirit of Christmas I will say:

“Oh yes he did!”

VengeSunsoar

Hard Core Member

Be Brief, Be Bright... Be Gone.

12/20/12 4:57:04 AM#45
Darkfall is a sandbox.  It may be based around pvp but there is still enough choice in how to develop your character, level your character and impact the world to be called a sandbox.

Quit worrying about other players in a game and just play.

loulaki

Advanced Member

12/21/12 4:07:26 AM#46
well PS2 doesnt have any RPG element ..

Purutzil

Advanced Member

The Critical Hit Pretzel!

12/21/12 4:15:51 AM#47

To me, neither is a real sandbox. Darkfall has slightly more stuff to it but its no where near a sandbox. 

Originally posted by loulaki
well PS2 doesnt have any RPG element ..

Well according to that logic, the original Minecraft wasn't a sandbox at all either. A sandbox does NOT need to be an RPG. Besides, we can say that the way guns have different stats and you level up "certs" being RPG elements.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

12/21/12 4:57:08 AM#48
What's the closest thing to planetside in a traditional mmo.

Daocs pvp endgame

Therefore planetside is an open world pvp themepark.
  Torgrim

Spotlight Poster

12/21/12 6:32:43 AM#49
Originally posted by ShakyMo
What's the closest thing to planetside in a traditional mmo.

Daocs pvp endgame

Therefore planetside is an open world pvp themepark.

Nope it's a MMOFPS end of story.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

itchmon

Hard Core Member

12/21/12 6:34:26 AM#50
just from the title of the thread i knew who the OP was going to be.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, DFUW

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

12/21/12 6:52:05 AM#51
Torgrim
Firefall is a mmofps too, but nothing like pklanetside as it has pve and wow like pvp model.
  MumboJumbo

Advanced Member

Veni, Vidi, Converti

12/21/12 7:39:24 AM#52
Originally posted by MMOExposed

Honestly, both seem like Open World MMO PvP arenas, than Sandbox.

But how can you or anybody name one of them a Sandbox without naming the other a sandbox as well?

Darkfall has no sand at all. Just lots of base control, just like Planetside 2 has.

Sounds about right - open world is probably mostly always in sandbox. But as to 0,1 I think it's more of a sliding scale of extremes and middling/blending area?

Apraxis

Novice Member

12/21/12 9:47:53 AM#53

But how can you or anybody name one of them a Sandbox without naming the other a sandbox as well?

Darkfall has no sand at all. Just lots of base control, just like Planetside 2 has.

Both are not the best example of a sandbox.. if at all.

But you can build up your town in Darkfall, even if it is just on a few places, and you cant do this in Planetside 2.

On the other hand i dont know how much crafting in Planetside 2 is involved, do they have crafting? Well.. at least in DF you can craft everything. But beside off that.. Darkfall was never big as a sandbox.. territory controll and player controlled cities, and a somewhat player controlled economy is all what makes Darkfall somewhat of a sandbox.

Jakdstripper

Apprentice Member

12/21/12 10:12:03 AM#54

PS2 has no pve (npc to kill), no world bosses, no quests, no crafting, no gathering, no boats, no house building, no town/fortress creation, no full loot (no loot at all actually), no trading between players, no banking, no skill progression, no item durability loss, no economy, etc...

.....now, i really like PS2 for what it is, a HUGE, persistant, fps, battle ground, but it's not an mmorpg.

DF UW is an pvp focused, aim based mmorpg, with some sandbox elements.

Onomas

Novice Member

Sandbox is your only hope for a decent mmo ;)

12/21/12 10:13:43 AM#55
Originally posted by Apraxis

Both are not the best example of a sandbox.. if at all.

But you can build up your town in Darkfall, even if it is just on a few places, and you cant do this in Planetside 2.

On the other hand i dont know how much crafting in Planetside 2 is involved, do they have crafting? Well.. at least in DF you can craft everything. But beside off that.. Darkfall was never big as a sandbox.. territory controll and player controlled cities, and a somewhat player controlled economy is all what makes Darkfall somewhat of a sandbox.

No crafting, no housing, no quests, realy nothing that makes it any kind of mmorpg at all. MMO barely.

It has 3 factions, guns, tanks, aircraft, aiming, flag/base swaping........ basicaly your average shooter/fps game.

Dont know why people always try to look into things that arent there. Just because they slap a mmo in front of the FPS doesnt make it a sandbox nor rpg. I wish people would take 5 seconds and look up the meaning of sandbox before posting, would save them a lot of time trying to convinve the majority of players that know the difference.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

12/21/12 10:20:06 AM#56
Err planetside does have skill progression, you do level in it.

Also I think its more of a mmo than several games out there where end game is sitting in cities queueing to go instanced pve or instanced pvp.

It's not a mmorpg though.
  User Deleted
12/21/12 10:27:39 AM#57
How about you define the key features which make a sandbox and then tell us what mmorpgs you feel fit within that remit. Then maybe you can answer your own inane questions without bothering the rest of us.

People have listed time and again for you in other threads why they feel that Darkfall either does or does not fall under the catagory of "sandbox" within the mmorpg definition.

So why exactly are you harping on about the same old shite yet again? Did you not read the responses before?

And really, you can't tell the difference between PS2 and DF? Fucking hell.

madazz

Novice Member

12/21/12 3:08:02 PM#58
What a ridiculous question.... How is a game where you can build and alter the world a sandbox, but not a game where you can only shoot stuff and then move on to the next base? I wonder...
  VengeSunsoar

Hard Core Member

Be Brief, Be Bright... Be Gone.

12/21/12 3:11:44 PM#59
Originally posted by madazz
What a ridiculous question.... How is a game where you can build and alter the world a sandbox, but not a game where you can only shoot stuff and then move on to the next base? I wonder...

If thats the difference then yes thats a pretty silly question.  Not having played, or even seriously checked out ps2 I can't state.

All I can state is that I played darkfall for about 1 week, hated it, however it was a sandbox.  Pvp oriented yes, but still a sandbox. 

Quit worrying about other players in a game and just play.

madazz

Novice Member

12/21/12 3:19:21 PM#60
Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
Originally posted by madazz

If thats the difference then yes thats a pretty silly question.  Not having played, or even seriously checked out ps2 I can't state.

All I can state is that I played darkfall for about 1 week, hated it, however it was a sandbox.  Pvp oriented yes, but still a sandbox. 

Too bad you didn't care for it. Not everyones cup of tea! I actually like both of the games. But yes, PS2 only allows you to basically run from base to base. The only thing you alter really is the colour/flag on the base and map. Other than that, its just a massive game of capture the flag. It's pretty good for a quick FPS fix. I like it as I don't have to go through matchmaking like in other online shooters, well that and how huge some of the battles get!

On that note, I wish more people did enjoy PvP gameplay (of the open world variety), but I can truly understand why they don't.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search