Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | Guild Wars 2 | Marvel Heroes | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,736,329 Users Online:0
Games:713  Posts:6,173,986
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » How is Darkfall a Sandbox but not Planetside 2?

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
64 posts found
  Scot

Elite Member

12/19/12 4:47:21 AM#21

PS2 ia a MMO FPS, thats what SoE is calling it. A better term would be FPS MMO, this is all about shooting people. :)

It does have an open world, even if it is one divided into 3 sections and there is progression. But B3 has progression and smaller sections, thats not a MMO is it. PS2 is a hybrid, not a MMO and not a FPS game and it is good to see such games, gaming is better of the more diverse it is.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

12/19/12 4:49:56 AM#22
Planetside 2 is a rvr game, which is a subset of themeparks.

Themepark doesn't just mean "oh god another wow clone"
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

12/19/12 4:50:51 AM#23
No Scot planetside is 100% a mmo

It's not a mmorpg though.
  User Deleted
12/19/12 4:56:16 AM#24
Originally posted by ShakyMo
Planetside 2 is a rvr game, which is a subset of themeparks.

Interesting comment.  I'd never looked at it that way, but I'd tend to agree.  RVR does seem to be a themepark characteristic.

rojoArcueid

Elite Member

"It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver". - Niccolo Machiavelli

12/19/12 5:07:51 AM#25

i wont comment about DF because ive never played it so i dont know much about it, and im not interested in DF in the slightest. However, i dont see Planetside 2 as a sandbox. Its only an mmofps with big maps. In Planetside you cant build outposts, craft vehicles and weapons, destroy enemy posts, among many other features included in sandbox games. Only the huge maps for anyone to go nuts killing and taking posts. That only doesnt make a sandbox to me.

I see Planetside 2 as the baby of Battlefield 3 and Halo who was left in a basket at the MMOFPS (MMO Foster Parent Society) doorstep

EDIT: PS2 is a lot of fun, i love it, but its not a sandbox IMO

My endgame begins with character creation and ends with a new mmorpg

Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

12/19/12 5:14:53 AM#26
Originally posted by Ichmen

ps2 would only be a sandbox if they did away with classes completely, and required you to build each part of the moble units (not just the modules) as well if they included actual player/group conquest zones where you can build stuff (bases ect) and had each part indepent of everything (like repopulation is doing) then it would be more of a fps sandbox  until then its always going to be a FPS capture the flag progression game.

other wise you may as well say counter strike is a sandbox :/ 

if a game wants to be a sandbox it can not include a class system, as well as allow players to explore and build anything anywhere they want with enough time to do so.  which neither game really seems to have from what i have seen.

Your defintion appears to be overly narrow IMO, as it would seem that neither EVE nor SWG Pre-CU would qualify as being sandboxes, yet they clearly are (or were).

The mistake most are making here is trying to define sandbox style game play by requiring them to contain specific features.  Someone made the case that since PS2 has territory conquest, it must be a sandbox.  Not true, DAOC had territory conquest and factions (another PS2 trait) and for most people it was more theme park than sandbox in design.

Xyson is a game that follows more of your definition of a sandbox, there's really nothing in there but a naked world and the players, everything is made by the players, but that doesn't make EVE any less of a sandbox, even though it's not nearly as "hardcore" as Xyson in its sandbox game mechanics.

Sandbox to me is more about how much freedom a player has to interact and influence the overall gameplay experience (not the actual game world itself).   Can they pursue a career in crafting and never pick up a weapon, probably more of a sandbox than a game where one must level their combat skills in order to reach a specific crafting level.

Territory control is important, but only if players can take territory, develop it, and hold it against all comers for a significant period of time (see EVE) but then you find gray areas like Lineage 2 where players held castles for periods of time but many debate how much of a sandbox it really is.

At the end of the day, all I can say is I know when I'm in a sandbox style game and when I'm not.  Never tried either of the titles that OP contained, so can't really be sure either way at this point, so I didn't vote.

"In these forums 'honest' seems to be a symonym for 'hates the game just like I do'" - ohioastro
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Reklaw

Elite Member

The adult I am takes care of most things real life. However my inner-child is a GAMER!!

12/19/12 5:34:09 AM#27
Originally posted by Kyleran
Originally posted by Ichmen

ps2 would only be a sandbox if they did away with classes completely, and required you to build each part of the moble units (not just the modules) as well if they included actual player/group conquest zones where you can build stuff (bases ect) and had each part indepent of everything (like repopulation is doing) then it would be more of a fps sandbox  until then its always going to be a FPS capture the flag progression game.

other wise you may as well say counter strike is a sandbox :/ 

if a game wants to be a sandbox it can not include a class system, as well as allow players to explore and build anything anywhere they want with enough time to do so.  which neither game really seems to have from what i have seen.

Your defintion appears to be overly narrow IMO, as it would seem that neither EVE nor SWG Pre-CU would qualify as being sandboxes, yet they clearly are (or were).

The mistake most are making here is trying to define sandbox style game play by requiring them to contain specific features.  Someone made the case that since PS2 has territory conquest, it must be a sandbox.  Not true, DAOC had territory conquest and factions (another PS2 trait) and for most people it was more theme park than sandbox in design.

Xyson is a game that follows more of your definition of a sandbox, there's really nothing in there but a naked world and the players, everything is made by the players, but that doesn't make EVE any less of a sandbox, even though it's not nearly as "hardcore" as Xyson in its sandbox game mechanics.

Sandbox to me is more about how much freedom a player has to interact and influence the overall gameplay experience (not the actual game world itself).   Can they pursue a career in crafting and never pick up a weapon, probably more of a sandbox than a game where one must level their combat skills in order to reach a specific crafting level.

Territory control is important, but only if players can take territory, develop it, and hold it against all comers for a significant period of time (see EVE) but then you find gray areas like Lineage 2 where players held castles for periods of time but many debate how much of a sandbox it really is.

At the end of the day, all I can say is I know when I'm in a sandbox style game and when I'm not.  Never tried either of the titles that OP contained, so can't really be sure either way at this point, so I didn't vote.

Well said Kyleran and agree completely.

Though I also havn't played Darkfall from what I read/saw it seems to be closer to a sandbox type of game then planetside which I have played, off and on still am but PS2 feels more like a open-world game.

Also felt that EQ1 was more of a themepark game where I felt that SWG was really a sandbox game yet compared to your example of Xyon is where Xyon is the more hardcore type of sandbox game

But then again I also consider games like GTA to be open-world games yet numerous websites will state GTA is a sandbox game. Then there is this game From Dust, while it has the ultimate sandbox feature's as you can use earth, water and fire yet the game itself was incredible linear

Torgrim

Spotlight Poster

12/19/12 5:39:50 AM#28
Originally posted by MMOExposed

Honestly, both seem like Open World MMO PvP arenas, than Sandbox.

But how can you or anybody name one of them a Sandbox without naming the other a sandbox as well?

Darkfall has no sand at all. Just lots of base control, just like Planetside 2 has.

You are just making topics just for the sake of it.

This is just stupid.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Xarnthal

Novice Member

12/19/12 6:43:43 AM#29

But how can you or anybody name one of them a Sandbox without naming the other a sandbox as well?

Darkfall has no sand at all. Just lots of base control, just like Planetside 2 has.

It goes to show you've not played Darkfall or put much effort into researching the game.

[mod edit]

I'm guessing by your definition there's not a single game out there that is considered an MMO Sandbox.

Sennheiser
Assist
Thage

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

12/19/12 6:49:02 AM#30
Rojo

Planetside (the first one) is more the baby of daoc and unreal tournament.
  sgtalon

Apprentice Member

12/19/12 8:00:41 AM#31

Matt Higby and Smedley (guys in charge of PS2) call it a Sandbox game because there is no hand holding in the game when it comes to how you play it.

There are no missions, quests, paths, or leveling up progression. They don't make you do anything. They don't do much to guide you to do what they want.

You are free to play the game any way you want, progress any way you want. They are hoping that the players in the game are going to create the "right way" to play by leaving the whole thing open ended.

SO from the standpoint of comparing it to WoW it is WAY more sandbox. It is definitely light on content right now. You don't have many choices for gear except for camo patterns. But the stuff they are talking about adding in the future is going to seriously sandbox-ify the game.

Dauzqul

Spotlight Poster

12/19/12 8:10:37 AM#32

Just because a game is hardcore doesn't mean it's sandbox.

SWG is a good example of the ideal sandbox.

Rimmersman

Advanced Member

12/19/12 8:12:12 AM#33
Originally posted by tom_gore

I support the Nether Sandbox!

But seriously, Darkfall has some crafting, some PvE elements, building your villages, looting the corpses of your former "friends" who thought they could trust you.

It's a lot more sandboxy than PS2. But I agree it's not as sandboxy as it should be. Too much emphasis on the PvP part.

I agree, i would say it's even less sandboxy than Age Of Wushu.

Yamota

Elite Member

"Only cunts name their swords"

12/19/12 9:42:34 AM#34
Darkfall also has extensive crafting which I dont believe PS 2 has, at all. It also has housing which you can decorate and so on, again I dont believe PS 2 has that.

Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

12/19/12 9:54:27 AM#35
Originally posted by Torgrim

You are just making topics just for the sake of it.

This is just stupid.

[Kyle points finger at nose], Bingo, Yahtze, You hit the nail on the head

You just described his MO (no pun intended), his entire personna was created to "expose" MMORPG's and the concepts behind them, and in fact, he operates under at least one other account  that I'm aware of (he made a mistake one time and confused his replies when trying to bump one of these threads), was pretty obvious to all.

At the end of the day, both titles probably have more of a sandbox like feel than say a more traditional MMORPG such as Rift, and probably far less than a title like EVE or Xyson.

"In these forums 'honest' seems to be a symonym for 'hates the game just like I do'" - ohioastro
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

ChrisReitz

Novice Member

12/19/12 10:32:23 AM#36
sandbox themepark who cares just a trend sterotype it will die in a about a year or so. Should be worried about gameplay then anything else.
  evemaster00

Novice Member

12/19/12 10:47:37 AM#37
DF was advertised as sandbox long before its released. Then they cut many sandbox features before release and I think people realise now it's not sandbox, it's just a pvp arena.
  CalmOceans

Advanced Member

12/19/12 10:55:25 AM#38

If PS2 is a sandbox then Unreal Tournament 2004 Onslaught is a Sandbox too. They're the exact same type of game, only PS2 doesn't restart the game every hour.

Same for Tribes, if PS2 is a sandbox, so is tribes.

What is sandboxy about PS2? I have no idea. It's a generic FPS like all the rest.

CalmOceans

Advanced Member

12/19/12 11:04:33 AM#39
Originally posted by kalrhael

And PS2's world IS built by the players, it's built through conquest

Then every FPS with a capture the flag system or onslaught system is a sandbox too, So half the FPS are sandboxes according to your definition.

Is Tetris a sandbox then because you/re building content with blocks?

I do not care anymore what a sandbox is lol, everyone has a different definition.

Onomas

Novice Member

Sandbox is your only hope for a decent mmo ;)

12/19/12 11:12:03 AM#40

PS2 a sandbox?? What??

Its a damn shooter a fps game with a large world that a lot of people play on. That is the only thing that makes it a MMO, but comparing it to a sandbox or even a themepark?

As an avid gamer, i get the same feeling playing COD or BF series as i do PS2.

No crafting, no housing, no quests, not even alien life on its world, no story, fps style progression, fps classes (medic, assault, heavy, engineer), limited social features, and lacks a lot of features a mmo/mmorpg should ahve. Dont see it happening.

Even the main site for PS2 calls it a shooter/fps, not a mmorpg or a sandbox. Why do people look further into it? Like that one clwn that keeps calling LOL a mmorpg because he read it on a blog, but the main site calls it a battle arena which isnt a mmorpg.

People realy need to do some research and look into this stuff.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search