Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,783,336 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,192,306
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » A tiny nugget more news on EQ: Next

6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search
113 posts found
  CalmOceans

Advanced Member

12/18/12 4:10:54 PM#41
Originally posted by ice-vortex

Coulda fooled me by what you wrote.

Let me show you then.

PLANETSIDE 2, Max graphics, 2012

Vanguard, 2007

That's a game from 2007, they will compete with current-gen, games like ArcheAge.

Tell me again how me saying that the textures and scenery are low resolution is not a valid complaint.

Like I said, I am not blind, maybe you are.

And don't tell me this is because you can not see as far or as many people in Vanguard or other games as in PS2, I could see at least three times as far in Vanguard as I could in PS2.

The complaints people are making about the LightForge engine are valid complaints.

NobleNerd

Advanced Member

Try not!
Do or do not
There is no try.

12/18/12 4:24:08 PM#42
Originally posted by CalmOceans

Let me show you then.

Vanguard, 2007

That's a game from 2007, they will compete with current-gen, games like ArcheAge.

Tell me again how me saying that the textures and scenery are low resolution is not a valid complaint.

And don't tell me this is because you can not see as far or as many people in Vanguard or other games as in PS2, I could see at least three times as far in Vanguard as I could in PS2.

The complaints people are making about the LightForge engine are valid complaints.

If that is an accurate screenshot of both it is sad graphic wise to see a 2012 game look so poor. I personally have not played PS2 (not into fps games). On the other hand I have had much experience with fail SOE gaming and developers. Not to say I did not play SOE games that I enjoyed, but most have had many performance issues. Even to this day EQ2 on a high end rig still is a memory HOG and has many leaks over long play times.

My biggest question over EQ Next is more along the lines of ... If you are trying to not follow the old models and come out with something completely new.... why..... oh why SOE are you even bringing the EQ title into the game then? Why not start fresh with NO preconceived ideas from the older game model? DROP the old title all together and start completely fresh!!!!!!! OR ARE YOU SCARED? I can smell fear. 

ice-vortex

Apprentice Member

12/18/12 4:25:14 PM#43

Let me show you then.

Vanguard, 2007

I don't think you quite remember Vanguard. Repeat textures were everywhere. An example:

CalmOceans

Advanced Member

12/18/12 4:28:37 PM#44

Vanguard, 2007

I don't think you quite remember Vanguard. Repeat textures were everywhere. An example:

It looks miles better than PS2, the crispness and draw distance is insane in Vanguard compared to PS2,

You called PS2's engine the most advanced MMO engine in existence, and now you're failing to defend it against ancient games.

As I pointed out, I am not against EQNext's engine, but I know it's nowhere close to acceptible level to compete against current MMO.

Axehandle

Novice Member

12/18/12 4:30:32 PM#45
Your screenshot of PS2 looked decent. The assault rifle had great textures.

Express your opinion

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/371172/Poll-Most-hated-MMORPG.html

CalmOceans

Advanced Member

12/18/12 4:32:34 PM#46
Originally posted by Axehandle
Your screenshot of PS2 looked decent. The assault rifle had great textures.

I'll give you that, is looks decent, the scenery is my complaint.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

12/18/12 4:36:37 PM#47
Err planetside 2 can handle 2000 people per continent in real time not gcd based action

THAT'S why Lightforge is a great mmo engine.
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

12/18/12 4:38:13 PM#48
Also highly political screenshot with you jetpacking up to some rocks to grab a low rez texture
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

12/18/12 4:42:13 PM#49
Basicly calm is shifting him / her self that eqn is going to be a sandbox with a pvp focus and not a linear raid grinder following smedleys seeing of the light with his eve playing.
  ice-vortex

Apprentice Member

12/18/12 4:47:42 PM#50

Vanguard, 2007

It looks miles better than PS2, you called PS2's engine the most advanced MMO engine in existence, and now you're failing to defend it against ancient games.

As I pointed out, I am not against EQNext, but I know it's nowhere close to acceptible level to compete against current MMO.

For one, no it doesn't. Secondly, you are confusing textures for the engine. You can put extremely high resolution textures in old games. Vanguard's textures repeat a lot. However that has nothing to do with Vanguard's engine because that was a design choice to allow the game to run on the then current systems. I can put the super high resolution texture pack in my Oblivion, and bring my current generation system to a crawl.

While Vanguard's environmental view distance was good, as is many games nowadays, but it's actual player rendering wasn't so great. The common symtom of seeing spell effects before you ever saw the player was extremely common. The screenshot I posted above, you probably couldn't even see a player down near that shore.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

12/18/12 4:54:18 PM#51
Plus there's like ZERO load time in ps2 which is important for the sort of game it is. High rez textures mean longer load times, more memory usage and more gpu memory usage. Hi rez textures also mean smaller playing fields OR repeating the same textures a lot in the same playing field.

From what I gather eqn is going to be ALL open world like PS2.
  ice-vortex

Apprentice Member

12/18/12 5:10:35 PM#52

Here's a screenshot from ArcheAge. It has blurry textures.

http://cdn2.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/20110923_183216749.jpg

Quizzical

Guide

12/18/12 5:13:05 PM#53

Well of course you repeat textures.  You have to repeat textures, and you have to do it a lot.  The alternative is to have a very small game world that is pretty barren and still sticks you with either low resolution textures or short view distances.

If you don't repeatedly use the same textures at all, in a typical MMORPG game world, you'd be probably be looking at an installation size in the hundreds of gigabytes, and possibly into the terabytes.

Furthermore, repeating textures is a huge optimization to cut down on loading times, video memory usage, and GPU load.  The reduced GPU load is because you don't have to switch textures nearly so many times.  Repeating textures to an appropriate degree can easily let you quadruple the resolution of all textures while still getting much higher performance across the board no matter what hardware you're running.

-----

Given that Vanguard game engine basically requires having an SSD to avoid hitching, I'm strongly skeptical of claims that it's such a great engine.  I'm also not at all fond of seeing the screen completely freeze whenever you cross a region boundary.  That's not seamless in any reasonably sense of the word, even if it doesn't put up a loading screen.

Quizzical

Guide

12/18/12 5:17:54 PM#54
Originally posted by ShakyMo
Plus there's like ZERO load time in ps2 which is important for the sort of game it is. High rez textures mean longer load times, more memory usage and more gpu memory usage. Hi rez textures also mean smaller playing fields OR repeating the same textures a lot in the same playing field.

All else equal, higher resolution textures do have a huge impact on GPU memory requirements, but fairly little impact on loading times and system memory usage.

The big barrier on loading times is waiting for the hard drive to physically spin to the right spot before it can do anything.  On a properly defragmented drive, you pay that penalty exactly once, regardless of the size of the texture.

As for system memory usage, you don't keep textures in system memory for long.  You load them, pass them along into video memory, and then clear them out of system memory.

Arclan

Spotlight Poster

"Ideas are worthless. The only currency that holds any weight is the ability and drive to execute."

12/18/12 5:18:12 PM#55

I sure hope they don't spend any $ on voice acting.

I hope they don't stick to the same 'one code base' mentality that cripled Everquest. Forcing all players to endure evolutionary game changes every six months had the effect of alienating 99% of players.

P L A N E T S I D E 1 is up !! check PS1 forum for link to current installer.
Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit
video game company layoffs are twice the national average.

Quizzical

Guide

12/18/12 5:20:39 PM#56
Originally posted by Arclan

I hope they don't stick to the same 'one code base' mentality that cripled Everquest. Forcing all players to endure evolutionary game changes every six months had the effect of alienating 99% of players.

I wouldn't go so far as to hope for no voice acting at all.  Having voiceovers in intro videos and a relative handful of really big story moments can be nice.  But I do hope they don't go overboard with it like SWTOR did.

What is the "one code base" mentality that you refer to?

ice-vortex

Apprentice Member

12/18/12 5:24:07 PM#57
Originally posted by Quizzical
Originally posted by ShakyMo

All else equal, higher resolution textures do have a huge impact on GPU memory requirements, but fairly little impact on loading times and system memory usage.

The big barrier on loading times is waiting for the hard drive to physically spin to the right spot before it can do anything.  On a properly defragmented drive, you pay that penalty exactly once, regardless of the size of the texture.

As for system memory usage, you don't keep textures in system memory for long.  You load them, pass them along into video memory, and then clear them out of system memory.

If the game is loading 4GB of textures into your memory compared to 512MB it certainly would have a major effect on loading times.

Originally posted by Quizzical

I wouldn't go so far as to hope for no voice acting at all.  Having voiceovers in intro videos and a relative handful of really big story moments can be nice.  But I do hope they don't go overboard with it like SWTOR did.

What is the "one code base" mentality that you refer to?

I don't think there should be major story moments. It's an MMO, not a single player game.

niceguy3978

Hard Core Member

12/18/12 5:35:40 PM#58
Originally posted by Latronus
Originally posted by SaltyBogey

EQ Next will be a massive failure... Don't believe me?

Check out SOE fantastic Light-Forge engine on Planetside 2... It's laughable at best

If it is a failure, it will have nothing to do with the engine.  It will have everything to do with Smed turning everything he touches into complete crap.  Besides, they won't make the same mistake they did in EQ2 and make the engines performance based off the CPU instead of the graphics card... Oh wait, this is $OE I'm talking about... Anything is possible I guess.

Everything he touches?  I may not like any current SOE games (I would like EQ if it had aged better) but that was his baby.  He put the team together that built the game.  

Arclan

Spotlight Poster

"Ideas are worthless. The only currency that holds any weight is the ability and drive to execute."

12/18/12 5:35:44 PM#59

Give players time to talk while in a group. Otherwise friendships won't form; and friendships keep players around for years.

Action-oriented combat + out of combat regen = no time to chat = no friendships. IMO.

P L A N E T S I D E 1 is up !! check PS1 forum for link to current installer.
Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit
video game company layoffs are twice the national average.

ice-vortex

Apprentice Member

12/18/12 5:39:42 PM#60

Give players time to talk while in a group. Otherwise friendships won't form; and friendships keep players around for years.

Action-oriented combat + out of combat regen = no time to chat = no friendships. IMO.

You don't have a guild with voice chat?

6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search