Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,769,028 Users Online:0
Games:720  Posts:6,186,875
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Why is there not an MMO that you can solo 100% of everything?

14 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
272 posts found
  hockeyplayr

Hard Core Member

12/15/12 10:24:16 PM#21
Originally posted by xeniar
Originally posted by TheScavenger
Originally posted by hockeyplayr

You can't because then it loses the MM part in Mmorpg

There has to be some group content in it otherwise it is a single player game that just requires an internet connection..

If the MMO is supposed to be forced grouping...it should be the WHOLE game. Not being able to solo everything, then suddenly hit a brick wall. The MMO (MMORPG or otherwise) should be quick and easy to play.

Plus, the MMO genre is changing. No longer are you forced to spend 15 dollars a month...and it also encompasses many genres and games. Things change and evolve.

People should WANT to group with someone. Not be forced to group up with them.

Another reason may be because they'd have to publish more content then.  When people have to coordinate together things are bound to go wrong at some point.  This forces people to have to retry the same content on top of having to grind it as well.  If it was set up for one person, someone would just come up with a guide for that class and everyone would blast through it

By that line of thought. Themeparks shouldn't have quests or any kind of puzzle/storyline or anything like that...because someone can just go on the wiki and blast through it.

Now, there are games like Skyrim...but you have to actually pay for them. High quality singleplayer RPGs are MUCH more expensive than free to play and freemium MMOs. That is why I play freemium MMOs, to see a world and explore it and play on my own terms for a very cheap to non existant price. Plus, MMOs tend to last much longer than singleplayer games, and are always updated.

See, many MMOs are already more than half way there to being fully solable. You can hop on, play 15-30 minutes and accomplish a lot. But, then you hit endgame...and are forced to spend a lot of time getting a group...when before, you didn't need to rely on that at all. 

Like I said...one should WANT to group. Not be FORCED to group. That shows a lack of social skills, when someone needs to be forced to group with someone to socialize with them.

So your a cheapskate?

Again go play a single player if you do not want any social interaction.

Social interaction has been what defined this freaking genre and people want to turn it into a single player game? just because they can get away with playing for free? omg.  IF you LIKE a game you freaking pay the bucks for it to support them to make more of that same type of game. Is bad enough as it is that content is soloable and people get spoonfed rewards evrywhere. now u want to remove the entire neccesity to group. 

im at a loss of words.. i can only smash my face into my keyboard now.. this is ridiculous.

+1

LadyEuphei

Novice Member

12/15/12 10:24:30 PM#22
This thread should be closed on a mmo forum. This is rediculous. No mmo should be soloable, it is just AGH! I need to breathe...seriously this idea is rediculous and it makes no sense. If you want to solo and be by yourself go play a multiplayer card game in a corner with your imaginary friends.... 

TheScavenger

Novice Member

Those who ask a question, are stupid for 30 seconds. Those who never ask, are stupid for life.

OP  12/15/12 10:26:39 PM#23
Originally posted by loeslein
Originally posted by evilastro
EQ2 pretty much already offers that. There are solo versions of all the highest level content.

Really?

That's pretty sweet.  I've been playing single player rpg's lately and I've founf them to be vastly more entertaining than grouping with people these days.  The only thing missing is a chat to troll lol.

I might give EQ2 another go just to have a little variety.

Yeah, that is first MMO I've heard that does that. That is quite a huge feature. EQ2 is really evolving the MMO genre. Really hope other MMOs take notice, because that is a really good feature. They don't bait (leveling) and switch (suddenly forced to group at end game)

However...WoW does a lot better job than others. Death Knights can solo more content than most. Not as good as EQ2 is though, but its a step in the right direction.

Isabella and Laenaya are on Photobucket!

http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Vendayn/library/Skyrim/Anime%20Skyrim

My (mostly) scenery screenshots of heavily modded Skyrim

http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Vendayn/library/Skyrim/Anime%20Skyrim/Aesthetics

hockeyplayr

Hard Core Member

12/15/12 10:26:42 PM#24
Originally posted by LadyEuphei
This thread should be closed on a mmo forum. This is rediculous. No mmo should be soloable, it is just AGH! I need to breathe...seriously this idea is rediculous and it makes no sense. If you want to solo and be by yourself go play a multiplayer card game in a corner with your imaginary friends.... 

this thread is probably going to get out of control and locked, but it is posts like these that make me wish they added a like button to the forum posts 

TheScavenger

Novice Member

Those who ask a question, are stupid for 30 seconds. Those who never ask, are stupid for life.

OP  12/15/12 10:27:15 PM#25

I made tons of friends in WoW, and I never grouped with them. 

aWRAY

Novice Member

12/15/12 10:30:41 PM#26
Originally posted by xeniar

There has to be some group content in it otherwise it is a single player game that just requires an internet connection..

If the MMO is supposed to be forced grouping...it should be the WHOLE game. Not being able to solo everything, then suddenly hit a brick wall. The MMO (MMORPG or otherwise) should be quick and easy to play.

Plus, the MMO genre is changing. No longer are you forced to spend 15 dollars a month...and it also encompasses many genres and games. Things change and evolve.

Another reason may be because they'd have to publish more content then.  When people have to coordinate together things are bound to go wrong at some point.  This forces people to have to retry the same content on top of having to grind it as well.  If it was set up for one person, someone would just come up with a guide for that class and everyone would blast through it

By that line of thought. Themeparks shouldn't have quests or any kind of puzzle/storyline or anything like that...because someone can just go on the wiki and blast through it.

Now, there are games like Skyrim...but you have to actually pay for them. High quality singleplayer RPGs are MUCH more expensive than free to play and freemium MMOs. That is why I play freemium MMOs, to see a world and explore it and play on my own terms for a very cheap to non existant price. Plus, MMOs tend to last much longer than singleplayer games, and are always updated.

See, many MMOs are already more than half way there to being fully solable. You can hop on, play 15-30 minutes and accomplish a lot. But, then you hit endgame...and are forced to spend a lot of time getting a group...when before, you didn't need to rely on that at all. 

Like I said...one should WANT to group. Not be FORCED to group. That shows a lack of social skills, when someone needs to be forced to group with someone to socialize with them.

So your a cheapskate?

Again go play a single player if you do not want any social interaction.

Social interaction has been what defined this freaking genre and people want to turn it into a single player game? just because they can get away with playing for free? omg.  IF you LIKE a game you freaking pay the bucks for it to support them to make more of that same type of game. Is bad enough as it is that content is soloable and people get spoonfed rewards evrywhere. now u want to remove the entire neccesity to group. 

im at a loss of words.. i can only smash my face into my keyboard now.. this is ridiculous.

I agree whole heartedly. Have some people's exectations really come to this? Wanting to solo 100% of the content? Lol

And to the OP; I think your idea of what a "lack of social skills" is a bit skewed. Might want to get that checked out. You also mentioned you play freemium MMO's... Sounds to me like you just want more soloable content for your "free ride".

Seriously dude, it's called an MMorpg for a reason

Aelious

Hard Core Member

World > Quest Progression

12/15/12 10:34:09 PM#27

This is why both options should be offered in the same game, solo content and group content.  I agree that a solo affair leading to a strictly group end is confusing and backward but that's themeparks for you, it's the only concusion.

Playing by yourself in a medium intended for coopration is not "evolution", it's "de-evolution".  If you don't think so you could always put your thoughts into a journal instead of posting them here .  But no, you post them here online because you get interaction.  We're all doing the same thing on these boards and it's more interesting because there are other sentient beings involved.

"

TheScavenger

Novice Member

OP  12/15/12 10:35:19 PM#28

Just because its a "MMORPG" doesn't mean it has to be outdated and have old mechanics. Things today are VERY different than when UO, AC, EQ and other classics were released. Things evolve and change...being able to solo is one of them.

Just because you can solo...doesn't mean you won't make friends. Take the time and talk in chat, join a guild...I solo 100% in WoW and have a great social guild and a lot of friends in the game (in the guild and even outside of it).

User Deleted
12/15/12 10:37:11 PM#29

Er um that is why they call it a game. it is a very honest question and a damn good one for that matter. After all it is all Virtual world anyways. So Why not solo play in a MMO? At least you cant blame someone else for the raid you joined turn out to be a complete waste of time. No the crappy raid is just that a failed raid so just blame yourself if you solo it and you fail at it. Then I can see your point.

Why should it be closed? OP has a good question.

Aelious

Hard Core Member

12/15/12 10:39:39 PM#30
... If you want to solo and be by yourself go play a multiplayer card game in a corner with your imaginary friends.... 

This got the RLLOL

Admittidly there are times when you don't want to be social... even if you are playing an MMO.  If you have a bad day or are just cranky that doesn't mean you don't want to play your character of four years it just means you want some "you" time.  With that said at the very least "group required" content should be 50% of content at any given level IMO.

TheScavenger

Novice Member

OP  12/15/12 10:42:01 PM#31

Also, I do own and play Skyrim. I should say this, before someone mentions/links my Skyrim screenshots thread on the general gaming forum. But, I can't make friends with anyone in Skyrim like I can in WoW. The economy is non existant, barely any patches, definitely won't be continually updated like an MMO is. 

The only reason I didn't mention Skyrim was...this thread is for being able to solo 100% in an MMO...it isn't about Skyrim or singleplayer games. Not the point of the thread anyway...but I assumed it would be brought up.

So I'll say this...

Just because I solo 100% in an MMO, doesn't mean I'm not interacting with anyone.

Cameron27

Novice Member

12/15/12 10:42:05 PM#32
I don't agree with this guy's post, but I must say he is not alone as my signature can attest. So don't worry man SwampRob has your back.

"I will not play it nor any other MMO until they make it possible to obtain the best gear without forcing people to group up to do so." SwampRob

Ridelynn

Elite Member

12/15/12 10:42:42 PM#33

I thought it was called Morrowind.

I guess that isn't really an MMO, but if you have one where you could solo everything, that's what it would be.

Aelious

Hard Core Member

12/15/12 10:47:27 PM#34

Just because its a "MMORPG" doesn't mean it has to be outdated and have old mechanics. Things today are VERY different than when UO, AC, EQ and other classics were released. Things evolve and change...being able to solo is one of them.

Just because you can solo...doesn't mean you won't make friends. Take the time and talk in chat, join a guild...I solo 100% in WoW and have a great social guild and a lot of friends in the game (in the guild and even outside of it).

Sure but what if you want to group? If the content is designed to soloed then it will be far too easy.  In a perfect MMO it would have a system that would scale mobs to what level and group strength were present and do it where it was still a challenge.  THAT would be an evolutuion.  Making content easy enough to solo isn't evolution IMO, it's simply modifying content for one person to get through it.  Also, I don't mind talking to people and I've met some people years ago I still talk to on a regular basis.  The thing is I was socializing with them as we played.  I really don't have the time to sit and chat while I play.  I think group content is more cohesive this way and matches more to the "casual" player that doesn't have very much time.

What if instead of "solo level, solo level, group progression endgame" there were options for both all along the level curve? Or is it that you don't want to be locked out of content because you don't want to group? 

therealeasy

Novice Member

12/15/12 10:49:37 PM#35

-

therealeasy

Novice Member

12/15/12 10:52:32 PM#36

Damn if i had signed up 1 day later I would have signed up on 12/12/12

User Deleted
12/15/12 10:58:46 PM#37

I imagine most people would sooner play a good single player game, which for the most part have better mechanics and storytelling than any MMO has ever had.

A entirely solo oriented MMO seems like its just dumbing itself down to have a chatbox and the occasional annoying passerby, but not taking advantage of the multiplayer experience it could deliver. TOR being a good example of what you would end up with.

It's neither a very good solo game, and not a very good multiplayer game. No thanks.

therealeasy

Novice Member

12/15/12 11:03:07 PM#38

-

greenreen

Elite Member

12/15/12 11:03:16 PM#39

I get what the OP is saying and I've experienced it.

For all the people that believe MMO means that you must be grouped or actively seeking a group, I disagree.

Massively - up for debate on a number

Multiplayer - means multiple people are in the game world - does not mean they have to be chained at the hip

Online - obviously, online, few games don't fit that that claim MMO

I see no problem with people being able to solo things.

Groups can be tedious. Waiting on people to get together. Connecting to a voice server. Deciding who will do what. Someone giving orders of when to start. Someone deciding which direction to go and when to continue or pause. Someone going AFK. Someone dying and not responding - are they AFK? Someone complaining about DPS or someone else "playing wrong". Someone needs to repair their gear. Someone put me on their friends list and told me - Oh Gawd, I don't know if I'm ready for this sort of commitment, do I have to friend them too? I barely know them, I don't consider them a friend, Oh frick, what if they ask me to do this crap again or start talking to me all the time in whispers... I'm not ready for thiiiiiiissssssssss... Someone didn't remember to bring a certain consumable. Someone has to go now...

Solo - you go where you want, when you want, doing what you want, at your own pace and on your own schedule. If you want to read a quest there is no one saying c'mon, over here and already beating on the mob.

Not a damn thing wrong with that as long as you pay the same entry fee. Not everyone is a social butterfly and should not be forced to be.

Lots of things loners can do may never require groups but it doesn't mean they aren't playing or contributing.

Answering questions in chat.

Making guides for forums.

Crafting.

Trading or playing the markets.

Soloing things they aren't supposed to be able to and proving when things are overpowered.

Playing PVP.

Roleplaying the naked idiot that runs around town screaming "The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire". You never have to convince anyone to act like a fool with you when the desire strikes you.

Again I'm reminded, extroverts feed from being around people, introverts feed on alone time. There are more extroverts but it does not mean that you get total say in how games should be played. Embrace the introverts, we are part of the ecosystem.

I once spent two hours watching videos and buffing people with 1 hour buffs that entered a town in Rift. Am I a horrible person for not being grouped for it. Was I playing wrong? Nope on both of those. I was being nice to strangers and asking nothing for it. Not even... a group.

Another time in GW2 I sat there recasting mesmer portal for a few hours while watching people try a jumping puzzle. They could take the portal if they wanted for instant completion or try the puzzle alone. Again, my choice, my playtime, entertained me and was NOT grouped.

Groups can also be huge spoilers. Every one of those times that you join a group that tries to exploit you through something or a boss, they are stealing experiences from you. First times that are now tainted by someone that already had their experience but want to use you to make their second time part of the grind they must finish. That's not very RPG of them at all. They don't care though. You are a means to their gear grinding end. That also makes me shy away from groups. Groups of people that are doing this for the second or more time don't want to experience it, they want to get it over with.

Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

12/15/12 11:09:50 PM#40
Originally posted by therealeasy

there are a number of (good) MMORPGs where you can solo everything

ones i know:

UO? (didnt play)

Asheron's Call

EVE

Shadowbane (except for banes)

Darkfall (UW will be garbage for a number of reasons)

POTBS?

Vindictus?

and more I am sure

I think limiting content to groups is a huge flaw, even in MMOs.  MMORPG doesn't mean you need to group.  Sometimes it means you want to interact in a real player-driven economy or pvp other people.  I think Age of Conan, for example, really dropped the ball by requiring full groups to experience a lot of the end-game content.

Solo everything in EVE?  Not quite, high level sleepers, complexes, level 5 missions and higher level incursions are all group oriented content and I'd like to see you hold Sov in 0.0 by yourself.

To be true, there's a lot of solo content in EVE, but its not totally soloable, and a whole heck of a lot less fun if you do.

"In these forums 'honest' seems to be a symonym for 'hates the game just like I do'" - ohioastro
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

14 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search