Trending Games | Pirate101 | Guild Wars 2 | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,900,197 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,269,100
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » What Commonly Accepted MMO Concepts Bug You?

10 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
181 posts found
  DMKano

Elite Member

12/05/12 8:54:37 PM#21
The fact that all MMORPGs are so alike - there is far too much similarity and not enough uniques.
  greenreen

Advanced Member

12/05/12 8:55:35 PM#22

Starter areas in every new game comparing the game to wow.

Mid level areas talking about how the game will kill wow.

Wondering why I'm not playing wow at end game since wow is what they have minus all the polish.

zing

Seriously though, the one that bugs me most is mobs all over the place just waiting to die. Animals just don't act that way, I don't even walk out onto my porch with a 16 foot sword and critters flee. Cats, badgers, opposum, even saw a raccoon and not one of them in my woods stood still and said 'beat me'.

Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

12/05/12 8:55:56 PM#23
Originally posted by Sovrath

Espeically if they are sentient beings.

Dozens of species of sentients sharing the same world without incessant xenophobic genocide wars.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Sovrath

Elite Member

12/05/12 8:57:25 PM#24
Originally posted by Icewhite
Originally posted by Sovrath

Espeically if they are sentient beings.

Dozens of species of sentients sharing the same world without incessant xenophobic genocide wars.

All standing around looking blankly into space? A la LOTRO?

A bit too Zen for me then.

even in a public park there are people talking to each other, congregating as well as those who are jogging alone or playing the guitar.

essentially "living".

Not just standing there moving a few feet every so often.

ZombieKen

Apprentice Member

Zombie - Dead but still moving.

12/05/12 8:57:45 PM#25

Level 42 spiders that drop Heroic Soldered Helm of Greatness.

What's a spider doing with a high level helmet?

MSOTSG with PPE : Massively Single-player Online Task-driven Storyline Game with Purchasable Performance Enhancements *grin*

Ortwig

Hard Core Member

12/05/12 8:58:03 PM#26

Quests that are menial errands rather than true adventures

Quests that require no thinking whatsoever and tell you exactly what to do

Games that encourage power leveling to the exclusion of all else

Dungeon finders instead oif tools to help you get to know people and group up like real people do

The idea that a zone is for levels 1-10, never to be seen again after finishing

Sovrath

Elite Member

12/05/12 8:59:21 PM#27
Originally posted by XAPGames

Level 42 spiders that drop Heroic Soldered Helm of Greatness.

What's a spider doing with a high level helmet?

To add onto that...

lvl 1 wolf, yadda yadda yadda lvl 52 wolf etc...

dont' get me started on the lvl 60 birds...

Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

12/05/12 9:01:29 PM#28

Swimming across the ocean with a quarter ton of ore in your backpack...

Naw, drifting off into the 'inherent silliness gamers just accept' topic, covered so many times before.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

LadyEuphei

Novice Member

12/05/12 9:02:57 PM#29

Summing it all up in one word, Themeparks.

I  am sick of themeparks with no life to them. I want to kill who I want, have no guidance, steal everything, go to jail, get killed and de level or be punished for it, experience the world, hunt, and maybe even think on my own. I hate quests, if you have quests it means that your game is so bad you have to give people a point to move forward. Quests should be goals made by the characters because they want something. Make the rewards for exploring and hunting and trading and everything more interesting and you wont need quests. Quests are a crutch, themeparks a disease, and mmo players the catalyst to it all. 

*removes self from soapbox*

Robokapp

Elite Member

The only luck I had today was to have you as my opponent.

12/05/12 9:07:54 PM#30

Swimming across the ocean with a quarter ton of ore in your backpack...

Naw, drifting off into the 'inherent silliness gamers just accept' topic, covered so many times before.

most MMos dont define ore by mass but by ...'bag slots'. the mystical currency where an elephant and an egg are equivalent.

MindTrigger

Advanced Member

12/05/12 9:19:31 PM#31
Auction House.  Probably the single largest social killer of any themepark concept.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Mithrandolir

Advanced Member

Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft' might win, by fearing to attempt

12/05/12 9:50:34 PM#32
Originally posted by Mithrandolir

I can't stand quests, quest hubs or anything quest driven/related.

10 years of my mmorpg life has been comprised of M59, UO, EQ1, AC1 and DAoC, and I think i ran a grand total of 40 quests between all of them. These games lasted me a long time! I play Wurm these days and love that it's not quest driven.

Quest driven games never last for me. The more story-like or movie-like they become, the more I dislike the game.

You know, you don't have to quest, even in the quest-heavy games, right?

I mean, those muds, the earliest mmos--what's a quest?  Grind is the name of the game.  Only game in town, actually.

Yeah, i know i don't have to quest in a quest heavy game. But when a game is quest driven and the entire game is quest hub to quest hub, and the content that i am paying for is quest after quest... it's pretty pointless for me to continue playing. Some folks love it, I'm not knocking it aside from stating what commonly accepted mmo concepts bug me. if a game is 75% quest driven, that's 75% of the content that bugs me... who wants to play that?

Give me an open world with open dungeons and a heavy grind any day :D

kadepsyson

Novice Member

The doctors say his chances are 50/50...but there's only a 10% chance of that.

12/05/12 9:59:29 PM#33

Things that make me wonder "Why would I even do this?"

If I'm some evil powerful magic-hurling person, why would I want to deliver your love letter to someone who is always standing just down the road from you?

Why would I want to kill those woodland creatures?

Why should I travel to a different star system so you can pay me tens of thousands of credits to fetch for you some cigarettes?  Just buy a new damn pack in the station you're at, dumbass!

Why should I collect sludge samples.  I have no interest in sludge.  I don't want to touch your sludge.  You're not even going to give me anything I want for doing this.  But a percent on my map will go up leading me ever closer to getting a magical chest to appear from nowhere when I 100% it giving me some coin to throw down a well, that I never will because I quit GW2.

Maybe I just want to go over there, and see what is beyond that gate.  Maybe climbing that mountain would be fun.  Perhaps honing my craft in creating the best leatherwork in the area is more my style.  But I can't do any of that because unlocking the gate requires killing exactly 10 rats for every person who needs to go through, but only once.  How the guard keeps track I have no idea.  I can't climb that mountain because when I get too close there is some sort of invisible magic wall preventing me from getting even a step closer.  And I can't hope to do leatherwork because anyone who wants to do it can and be a master at it in a day's time, and everyone selling the same exact leatherwork has undercut each other on a broker market that magically spans the planet.

I want to do what I want to do, so let me.

Sandbox for life, yo.

El Psy Congroo

Torvaldr

Elite Member

12/05/12 10:08:52 PM#34

I'm repeating what some others have said but...

The ! symbol.

Level 1 - 100 critters.  Really?  I can slay a hundred level 1 wolves, but not that level 80.  Oh no, watch out for that level 50 crow or the level 45 fly.  Don't worry I have a +5 flyswatter for that.  Silly.

Color clone mobs - same mob skin, just a different color.  The blue midge flies, the red midge flies. Sort of goes with the rehashed high level critters.

Auction Houses - EQ2 is the only game where I liked the broker.  I miss working my way through player shops in Lineage looking for that one item.

Bound Items - I could write a book why I hate this but I won't.

Closed Tapping - everyone should be rewarded for how much they participate and people shouldn't be penalized for helping each other.

Formal Grouping - I like how open grouping works in rift, wizards101, and gw2

Tightly railed maps - I want to climb to the tops of the mountains and swim to the bottom of the seas not hit invisible walls everywhere.

Genocide - When stabby content is the only thing to do.

Lack of Systems - when all there is to do is churn content.

Curse you AquaScum!

Rhoklaw

Elite Member

$500 Backer to 2015's Top New MMO... The Repopulation!

12/05/12 10:15:57 PM#35
I guess the concept where somehow stealth equals permanent invisibility. For one, stealth is sneaking in the shadows, not running around unseen in the open in broad daylight or vanishing into thin air in the midst of a crowd.

Raventree

Apprentice Member

It is a double pleasure to gank the ganker.
-Raven Treeavelli

12/05/12 10:18:29 PM#36
That raiding is always the focus of endgame and PVP is largely ignored.  Also, allowing high level players to hang out lowbie ganking without any real penalty. 

Currently playing:
Rift
Played:
SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
World of Warcraft, AoC

AlBQuirky

Spotlight Poster

Tomorrow's just a future yesterday...

12/05/12 10:31:26 PM#37

01) Cash Shops. Nothing brings me back into the real world like a cash shop.

02) A group of monsters standing around. One gets shot at. Only that ONE comes after the attacker.

03) Tanks that "taunt" monsters into attacking them when they don't even speak the same language.

04) Dragons that lower themselves into being a mount for some tiny player character they could eat whole in one bite.

05) As some have mentioned before, animals that drop gear. A coin or two I can see them swallowing, but plate mail and greatswords?

06) Monsters that use weapons and armor that you do not get to loot when they die. They just... vanish...

07) Crafting systems where you cannot break down items, especially those you have crafted, into raw materials.

08) Action combat. Everyone's a black belt in jujitsu, it seems. Or highly acrobatic in their armor.

09) Being able to run, full speed, for endless hours in full gear with multiple backpacks loaded with kilotons worth of loot.

10) Sneaking in full sunlight with no cover or shadows nearby.

11) Time does not matter. You get a quest to save someone's kidnapped daughter. Three weeks later you decide to clear the quest and go save her. There she is, all fine and dandy. Monsters are the same in an area day or night.

12) Seasons don't happen. You can harvest food anytime of the year. Zones don't change with the seasons.

13) Instanced dungeons.

I better stop. I could go on :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

eyelolled

Apprentice Member

I am more than some of my parts

12/05/12 10:42:07 PM#38

subscriptions - they are nothing more than a rip off. My cell phone is a rip off, my cable bill is a rip off, my internet service is a rip off.  I don't need to add another rip off to the list.

raiding/gear grind - because we can't make content  extensive enough to keep people happy for a long period, lets make it so they can only play once a week.

raiding/gear grind on P2P games - lets charge them monthly to play content once a week, so it takes them a year to get all the pretend items they want.  Then after that, we'll release an expansion so that all the stuff they gained becomes useless and they have to start over.

15/month is cheap - yeah, lets make it sound like the developers are doing us a favor by charging $15 each month, after all, it's cheaper than some other waste of money.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

Jonoku

Spotlight Poster

"Veni Vidi Vici"

12/05/12 10:47:05 PM#39
Same Old themepark *yawn*

Looking at: The Repopulation
Preordering: None
Playing: Random Games

Torvaldr

Elite Member

12/05/12 10:47:11 PM#40
Originally posted by Rhoklaw
I guess the concept where somehow stealth equals permanent invisibility. For one, stealth is sneaking in the shadows, not running around unseen in the open in broad daylight or vanishing into thin air in the midst of a crowd.

This is one thing DDO does very well.  I absolutely agree with you.

Oh, and I missed raiding on my earlier list.  If I never see instanced scripted "formal group" raiding in any game ever again I would be happy.

edit: @eyelolled - everything on your list too and just how you phrased it.  Spot on.

Curse you AquaScum!

10 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search