Trending Games | ArcheAge | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | EverQuest | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,902,319 Users Online:0
Games:753  Posts:6,276,288
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » There can be only one!

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search
47 posts found
  madazz

Novice Member

OP  11/22/12 11:47:36 AM#1

Totally false statement.

Yet some forum posters on here feel that way. They feel there cannot be sandboxes (or themeparks) and want ALL games catered to their play style.

With that said, let me ask you this, how does it hurt you that someone drives a Ford when you drive a Dodge? It doesn't. So why can't others have what they want as well? I have no interest in Themeparks, but I don't argue that any future game shouldn't be one! There is obviously an audience for it, and thus they should get it. It's not hurting anyone. People need to stop trying to crush other forms of games. If you don't like a sandbox, why would you join a thread where a bunch of fans are arguing/discussing about what type of sandbox they'd like? Sure, make a post "I don't like them at all", but move on if it isn't your cup of tea. It goes both ways too by the way, I only chose sandboxers as an example. 

So with that said, why can't their be more than one MMO? Why are there people trying to champion all of them to be made the same? There are more than enough Devs to cater to everyone!

User Deleted
11/22/12 11:51:50 AM#2
Maybe it's just me, but the tone of some of the people who advocate for more sandboxes tend to occasionally slip into a "Themeparks need to be eradicated and replaced entirely with sandboxes! Fuck the losers who play themeparks because they aren't real MMO gamers!"
  madazz

Novice Member

OP  11/22/12 11:53:38 AM#3
Originally posted by Enigmatus
Maybe it's just me, but the tone of some of the people who advocate for more sandboxes tend to occasionally slip into a "Themeparks need to be eradicated and replaced entirely with sandboxes! Fuck the losers who play themeparks because they aren't real MMO gamers!"

Yeah, the point was it doesn't matter what way it goes... the point is it shouldn't be happening at all. I don't want this thread to be sandbox vs themepark. That is the ENTIRE point of the thread.

Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

11/22/12 11:55:21 AM#4
Originally posted by madazz

Totally false statement.

Yet some forum posters on here feel that way. They feel there cannot be sandboxes (or themeparks) and want ALL games catered to their play style.

With that said, let me ask you this, how does it hurt you that someone drives a Ford when you drive a Dodge? It doesn't. So why can't others have what they want as well? I have no interest in Themeparks, but I don't argue that any future game shouldn't be one! There is obviously an audience for it, and thus they should get it. It's not hurting anyone. People need to stop trying to crush other forms of games. If you don't like a sandbox, why would you join a thread where a bunch of fans are arguing/discussing about what type of sandbox they'd like? Sure, make a post "I don't like them at all", but move on if it isn't your cup of tea. It goes both ways too by the way, I only chose sandboxers as an example. 

So with that said, why can't their be more than one MMO? Why are there people trying to champion all of them to be made the same? There are more than enough Devs to cater to everyone!

Well said, except that for the past 8 years we've only had one basic model offered to us, where the heck are all the Chevys?  I only need 1 after all.

Well, at least I have an old school title to keep me entertained.

Arrogant, Condescending, Dismissive, Elitist, "Meany", you speak as if these are bad things?
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

nariusseldon

Elite Member

11/22/12 11:58:21 AM#5
Originally posted by Kyleran

Well said, except that for the past 8 years we've only had one basic model offered to us, where the heck are all the Chevys?  I only need 1 after all.

Well, at least I have an old school title to keep me entertained.

What are you talking about?

There are many MMOs, with many different settings. Don't tell me Star Wars is the same as fantasy.

And we have MOBA, action RPG, MMOFPS  ... so what "one basic model"?

Sure, there aren't many sandbox .. but even that .. there is Darkfall, and Eve. So what is the complaint?

evemaster00

Novice Member

11/22/12 12:05:01 PM#6
Originally posted by Enigmatus

It's just you.

madazz

Novice Member

OP  11/22/12 12:11:04 PM#7

You know, I mentioned I have no interest in themeparks, but it doesn't mean a themepark won't one day be my favourite MMO. Right now a sandbox calls to me much more.

I just figure if people could share (and agree/disagree) on ideas maybe something will happen to make those games better. But instead you have people who just don't think one or the other should exist. It makes no sense!!!!

The people doing this are only stifling innovation. Thing is, a sandbox game could come out with INCREDIBLE ideas that may make you a convert, same for a theme park. Or, a themepark could come out that offers ideas that would lend well to a sandbox, thus only improving it! 

nariusseldon

Elite Member

11/22/12 12:13:08 PM#8

You know, I mentioned I have no interest in themeparks, but it doesn't mean a themepark won't one day be my favourite MMO. Right now a sandbox calls to me much more.

I just figure if people could share (and agree/disagree) on ideas maybe something will happen to make those games better. But instead you have people who just don't think one or the other should exist. It makes no sense!!!!

The people doing this are only stifling innovation. Thing is, a sandbox game could come out with INCREDIBLE ideas that may make you a convert, same for a theme park. Or, a themepark could come out that offers ideas that would lend well to a sandbox, thus only improving it! 

And why focus only on sandbox and themeparks. That is narrow minded.

There are also MOBA, online ARPG, MMOFPS, and many other game types. Take Planetside 2 as an example. Not a MMORPG .. but fun with large worlds (and NO slow travel .. thank god).

maplestone

Novice Member

11/22/12 1:01:27 PM#9

Yet some forum posters on here feel that way.

If you have a problem with something someone says, why aren't you talking to them directly?

Onomas

Novice Member

Sandbox is your only hope for a decent mmo ;)

11/22/12 1:05:25 PM#10

Another thread on this topic? Seriously? You couldnt post in the other 47 threads like this?

LOL.

Ill post later why i feel sandboxes should be favored as a true mmo ;)

Have to go troll another poster on this subject first ;)

maplestone

Novice Member

11/22/12 1:20:41 PM#11
Hmmm .... I guess that answers my question.
  CalmOceans

Hard Core Member

11/22/12 1:25:00 PM#12
Name me a current successful sandbox outside of EVE.
  Ujirik

Novice Member

11/22/12 1:25:51 PM#13
Honestly, we aren't even discussing games anymore. It's more a discussion on human behavioral patterns when you bring up this topic. Go check out some history on Wikipedia or just observe your surroundings and you'll understand.

madazz

Novice Member

OP  11/22/12 3:03:29 PM#14
Originally posted by Onomas

Another thread on this topic? Seriously? You couldnt post in the other 47 threads like this?

LOL.

Ill post later why i feel sandboxes should be favored as a true mmo ;)

Have to go troll another poster on this subject first ;)

hee hee :)

DavisFlight

Apprentice Member

11/22/12 3:58:25 PM#15

Mostly the way I've seen it going down over the last... two years.

Core MMO vets ask for a return to the things they love.

WoW fans who have never touched another MMO swoop in and bash their ideas and desire without having any clue what they're debating and always fall back on "lolol camping for boss mobs" as though their only idea of pre WoW MMOs is a vague illusion of what EQ was.

And then Narius comes in and says "I love lobby games!"

Currently themepark fans have been riding high for 8 years. Veterans want our genre back. You can keep WoW, but do you really have to bash every thread that talks about real MMOs and say "Heh no thats stupid!11!"

TLDR: Most of the hate comes from themepark gamers who want to continue to monopolize the industry, and insist their game style is perfect/the only way to make a sucessful MMO, despite 8 years of failed themeparks.

VengeSunsoar

Apprentice Member

Be Brief, Be Bright... Be Gone.

11/22/12 4:00:44 PM#16
Originally posted by DavisFlight

WoW fans who have never touched another MMO swoop in and bash their ideas and desire without having any clue what they're debating and always fall back on "lolol camping for boss mobs" as though their only idea of pre WoW MMOs is a vague illusion of what EQ was.

Currently themepark fans have been riding high for 8 years. Veterans want our genre back. You can keep WoW, but do you really have to bash every thread that talks about real MMOs and say "Heh no thats stupid!11!"

TLDR: Most of the hate comes from themepark gamers who want to continue to monopolize the industry, and insist their game style is perfect/the only way to make a sucessful MMO, despite 8 years of failed themeparks.

I don't think most veterans want a real return to the old ways.  I know I don't.  Sure I wouldn't mind seeing some old features become more prominent but otherwise no I don't want a return to the old EQ, SWG type games.  I learned long ago that it was more fun for me to not stab myself in the eye.

edit - I think most of the hate games from gamers who are unable to move on from a genre that has moved past them.

Quit worrying about other players in a game and just play.

DavisFlight

Apprentice Member

11/22/12 4:05:10 PM#17
Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

I don't think most veterans want a real return to the old ways.  I know I don't.  Sure I wouldn't mind seeing some old features become more prominent but otherwise no I don't want a return to the old EQ, SWG type games.  I learned long ago that it was more fun for me to not stab myself in the eye.

edit - I think most of the hate games from gamers who are unable to move on from a genre that has moved past them.

The genre has been moving backwards, with less diversity, fewer features, and overall, worse game design.

And yeah, judging from this forum, most veterans want a return to the quality of old games. And judging from the success OLD ideas have had in newer games (WvW in GW2, and the events system in Tabula Rasa, Rift, and GW2) I'd say a lot of people want those old features back.

And no, I'm not talking about EQ. EQ was not the only pre WoW game for fucks sake people.

madazz

Novice Member

OP  11/22/12 4:06:22 PM#18

I agree with you! I don't want UO made again really, though I would try it if they did! Then again, I try nearly every game that comes out lol. But it would be awesome to have some sort of evolutionary step from those games as opposed to the same thing over and over again right now.

With that said, I am not opposed to the same old thing over and over again for those who want it, its just, why stop the others from coming out? What is there to disagree with? It doesn't hurt you if I am playing UO and you are playing EQ. What good would closing EQ down do me in my UO world? It's not like you are going to come play UO anyways right?

User Deleted
11/22/12 4:10:38 PM#19

I agree with you! I don't want UO made again really, though I would try it if they did! Then again, I try nearly every game that comes out lol. But it would be awesome to have some sort of evolutionary step from those games as opposed to the same thing over and over again right now.

With that said, I am not opposed to the same old thing over and over again for those who want it, its just, why stop the others from coming out? What is there to disagree with? It doesn't hurt you if I am playing UO and you are playing EQ. What good would closing EQ down do me in my UO world? It's not like you are going to come play UO anyways right?

I'm going to be incredibly petty and say that it's because based on what I have been able to see, quite a few of the gamers who desire certain game types or advocate a certain gametype over another altogether are so bloody obnoxious and irritating about it that I can't help but secretly HOPE the game they advocate for dies just to watch them cry and moan about it.

It's petty as hell, I know, but frankly you can't tell me you've never been in that kind of situation before, where you wish bad stuff would happen to someone who seems to be going out of their way to be incredibly obnoxious about something.

VengeSunsoar

Apprentice Member

Be Brief, Be Bright... Be Gone.

11/22/12 4:16:59 PM#20

The genre has been moving backwards, with less diversity, fewer features, and overall, worse game design.

And yeah, judging from this forum, most veterans want a return to the quality of old games. And judging from the success OLD ideas have had in newer games (WvW in GW2, and the events system in Tabula Rasa, Rift, and GW2) I'd say a lot of people want those old features back.

And no, I'm not talking about EQ. EQ was not the only pre WoW game for fucks sake people.

Once again I don't think so.  I think there is more diversity than ever before.  More types and styles of games.  More sandbox more themepark, horror, post-apoc, space, fantasy.... there is more ability to choose how you want to play in each game generally.

SWG and UO had more options than most of today's games.  True.  However those were not the majority of the games. I didn't mention EQ at all.  I said most of the old games.  There were a couple that had more but again they weren't most. 

These forums IMO are not the majority of veterans, just the more bitter ones. 

Quit worrying about other players in a game and just play.

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search