Trending Games | Landmark | World of Warcraft | Villagers and Heroes | Hearthstone

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,915 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,310,509
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Why don't you just make SWG (pre cu ) 2 already??

6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search
109 posts found
  lizardbones

Hard Core Member

I think with my heart and move with my head.-Kongos

11/22/12 1:15:01 PM#41

Originally posted by Sandbox

Originally posted by lizardbones IceWhite's post is relevant here. SWG peaked at 300k subscriptions. SWToR has well exceeded SWG's performance (so far). None of the features you listed matter and none of the posts talking about SWG's strong points matter. There has to be a financial reason to make such a game, and there isn't a financial reason to make such a game. I would expect to see several PC and console games based off of the new SW IP (which is going to have one of the original screen writers btw), but I wouldn't expect to see another MMORPG. ** edit ** Not on the scale of SWG or SWToR. Something like Clone Wars or a co-op multiplayer seems very likely.  
If you want to play the number game you have to set the 300k in perspective to the total market.I think SWG was among the top three MMOs 2003-04.The relevant question is how much of the total MMO market SWG had 2003-04?

WoW had millions of players. Star Wars itself has millions of fans. SWG wasn't a critical or popular success.

** edit **
Nothing anyone says in these forums will change the lack of financial incentive for creating another SWG. People who are much more qualified than anyone who posts here are the ones making those types of decisions, and there's not even an inkling of a hint that there's another Star Wars MMORPG coming.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Sandbox

Advanced Member

11/22/12 1:17:24 PM#42
Originally posted by Meridion
Originally posted by nariusseldon
Originally posted by LoverNoFighter

It's obvious that a lot of people would want it to happen.

SWG had so many elements that players appreciated and loved.

It's 7 years ( SWG pre cu era ) since it was shut downed and still people talk about how they miss it.

With SWTOR's failure and the upcoming resurrection of SW, it's time to act.

A lot? How do you get that? SWG is a failed game. What is the max player base? is it even a million?

Exactly, SWG launched in the same climate WoW did, it had the Star Wars IP backing it... and failed. While WoW retained millions of players for a decade to come...

Don't want to compare the two ideologies behind these games, or what I think is the better game, or what I think about the armes of non-gamers that invaded multiplayer gaming during the last couple of years.

But from a business standpoint, World of Warcraft succeeded while SWG failed. No argueing about that.

M

Would you be so kind and tell us what other mmos that did not failed, compared to wow?

My guess is you will find none; your point is quite moot if the only viable option is to succeed as wow.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

11/22/12 1:19:49 PM#43
Originally posted by ForumPvP

But from a business standpoint, World of Warcraft succeeded while SWG failed. No argueing about that.

M

But from a business standpoint Mario Bros. games succeeded while WoW failed.No argueing about that.

No. From a business standpoint Mario Bros games succeeded, and WOW is a smaller success. SWG, OTOH, is a failure.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

11/22/12 1:21:16 PM#44

Would you be so kind and tell us what other mmos that did not failed, compared to wow?

My guess is you will find none; your point is quite moot if the only viable option is to succeed as wow.

Lineage, LOL, Maple Story, GW ...

LOL even has more active players than WOW.

GW sold millions.

VengeSunsoar

Hard Core Member

Be Brief, Be Bright... Be Gone.

11/22/12 1:21:27 PM#45

M

But from a business standpoint Mario Bros. games succeeded while WoW failed.No argueing about that.

Oh I bet there is lots of arguing about that.  Trying to find a references but I would bet that WoW has sold more units that the entire mario brothers franchise. 

edit - still cant' find any.  Just a few people (and no industry experts or market analysts stating that mario sold between 30 and 40 million).  But we have Blizzard stating that only 30% of people stay past level 10 which means that at least 36million accounts were created, this was back in feb. 2010.  So we have about 30-40 million possibly for both.  No one would ever consider either a failure. 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/blizzard-70-percent-of-new-wow-players-dont-get-past-level-10_1

Quit worrying about other players in a game and just play.

User Deleted
11/22/12 1:24:56 PM#46
Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

M

Oh I bet there is lots of arguing about that.  Trying to find a references but I would bet that WoW has sold more units that the entire mario brothers franchise. 

nice so WoW sold about 400 000 000 - 500 000 000 units . not bad.

VengeSunsoar

Hard Core Member

11/22/12 1:28:43 PM#47

M

I cant' find any evidence at all suggesting that mario sold anywhere close to that.  If you have something please post it.

edit - http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Horizons/2010/0914/Super-Mario-Bros.-has-sold-how-many-copies

Find one source, debate on the credibility, stating 240 million units sold for the entire franchise.  Pretty darn good.  Now we have 30-40 million WoW, how many for warcraft 1 and 2.  Compare game to game or franchise to franchise. 

Onomas

Novice Member

Sandbox is your only hope for a decent mmo ;)

11/22/12 1:36:23 PM#48

Lineage, LOL, Maple Story, GW ...

LOL even has more active players than WOW.

GW sold millions.

GW isnt a mmo

Lineage 1 was shut down

maple story? what is that a cartoon mmo?

Onomas

Novice Member

11/22/12 1:39:53 PM#49

M

No. From a business standpoint Mario Bros games succeeded, and WOW is a smaller success. SWG, OTOH, is a failure.

Any game to last 8 years is not a failure. 90% of the games today fall within 6 months or go f2p which is a failure.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

11/22/12 1:41:44 PM#50

M

Where did you get the 400M to 500M units?

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Mario

"Mario is the #1 best selling franchise in the world appearing in over 200 games and selling more than 285 million units".

It is less than 300M units. 300M units, at roughly $40 each is like $12B.

And do you count subs from WOW too? Every 3 month sub ($45) is like selling a new game. So 10M sub a year is like selling 40M copies. WOW is generating more than $1B a year for a while. In fact, in 2012, WOW made 1.4B .. just in sub, not counting MOP, and selling virtual phonies.

User Deleted
11/22/12 1:42:07 PM#51

M

I cant' find any evidence at all suggesting that mario sold anywhere close to that.  If you have something please post it.

edit - http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Horizons/2010/0914/Super-Mario-Bros.-has-sold-how-many-copies

Find one source, debate on the credibility, stating 240 million units sold for the entire franchise.  Pretty darn good.  Now we have 30-40 million WoW, how many for warcraft 1 and 2.  Compare game to game or franchise to franchise. 

Super Mario September 13, 1985

275.73 million[n 1]

Mario Kart August 27, 1992 80.08 million[n 2]
Mario Sports May 1, 1984 35.498 million[n 3]
Mario Party December 18, 1998 32 million[4][54]
-
Warcraft January 15, 1994 19 million[81]
Warcraft is a fictional universe in which a series of games and books published by Blizzard Entertainment are set. The franchise also includes tabletop games, collectible card games and an upcoming movie. Figure doesn't include World of Warcraft.
-

Cant find WoW from the list,reasons can be many,they count free accounts,gift accounts ,trials etc.
Edit: wow is not listed even at atleast 5 millions copies sold product.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

11/22/12 1:43:23 PM#52
Originally posted by Onomas

Any game to last 8 years is not a failure. 90% of the games today fall within 6 months or go f2p which is a failure.

Why fall within 6 month is a failure? All SP games fall within 6 month but sold millions. MMOs should be judged accordingly.

Why is F2P a failure? LOL is a huge success and it is F2P.

sylentnyte

Advanced Member

11/22/12 1:44:17 PM#53
Pre CU SWG is still the MMo i miss the most
  Greyhawk4x4

Apprentice Member

-Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Ben Franklin

11/22/12 1:48:05 PM#54
Originally posted by tawess
Originally posted by LoverNoFighter

It's obvious that a lot of people would want it to happen.

SWG had so many elements that players appreciated and loved.

It's 7 years ( SWG pre cu era ) since it was shut downed and still people talk about how they miss it.

With SWTOR's failure and the upcoming resurrection of SW, it's time to act.

Yeah... It was agreat game, the free form skill system and how the economy was player driven and the fact that you had pure buff proffesions.

Buuuuuut....

The freeform system was utterly unbalanced, the stat system was broken (like the exploit to max your stats to get an armor and the  just re-spec the stats and never take the armor off.) no content was ever developed for the buff proffesions and due to the design of the crafting system it worked a little to good and most servers had a economy dominated by just a few (or in some cases i am sure just one) persons. It was released without proper balance and it never got to that balance (until NGE, but that was a fairly steep price to pay) so in honesty only two kind of people want it back exploiters and people blinded by nostoalgia... oh and the mary come late who actually never played the game but think it is cool to get on the bandwagen ond think they will like it if it came back.

Edit: Space combat was good if a bit on the bugged side.

What is this guide book which says that RPG must be "balanced" and what kind of balance you are talking about ?

Theres lots of role playing gamers in role playing games(imagine that) who dont give a damn,they just play classes that they like.

how thieves was in Dungeon & Dragons,they couldnt do much in combat but they were interesting class for those who wanted to play like thieves.

but i  think you are talking about dmg and not interesting gameplay?

Uhh....Quadruple backstab damage says otherwise.

And, yes, Thief was by far the best class for roleplaying.

Phlacc

Novice Member

11/22/12 1:49:15 PM#55

Wow, ok. For everybody that's saying "SWG was a great game, but too many bugs", remember, the OP is talking about a REMAKE! So, think of SWG with no bugs and better graphics, don't think of it as exactly as it was.

And for everybody that says SWG was a failure, get a clue, SWTOR was a failure, SWG did not fail.

VengeSunsoar

Hard Core Member

11/22/12 1:50:59 PM#56

M

275.73 million[n 1]

-
Warcraft is a fictional universe in which a series of games and books published by Blizzard Entertainment are set. The franchise also includes tabletop games, collectible card games and an upcoming movie. Figure doesn't include World of Warcraft.
-

Cant find WoW from the list,reasons can be many,they count free accounts,gift accounts ,trials etc.

Your links seem a bit contradicatory.  They state super mario sold 275 million, but this states 40 million which is the first link you sent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_%28series%29  I can only assume that the 275 then is a franchise total however adding up your numbers doesn't equal 275 either it wuals 169 or 209 if you add 40 million from super mario, where isthe other 66 million coming from

edit and the link from vivendi in 2008 does indeed show 19 million from warcraft, but what about warcraft II and it's 2 sequels, and Warcraft II with it's sequal as well? and of course WoW with about 36 million created.

It's pretty apparent that the mario franchise likely did beat warcrafts franchise but both have sold a ton.

User Deleted
11/22/12 1:57:35 PM#57

M

275.73 million[n 1]

-
-

Your links seem a bit contradicatory.  They state super mario sold 275 million, but this states 40 million which is the first link you sent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_%28series%29  I can only assume that the 275 then is a franchise total however adding up your numbers doesn't equal 275 either it wuals 169 or 209 if you add 40 million from super mario, where isthe other 66 million coming from

Mario July 9, 1981 450.22 million[n 5]
Mario first appeared in 1981 (in the original Donkey Kong,[11] where he was known as Jumpman), before starring in Mario Bros. and then the Super Mario series of platform games. The character was created by Japanese game designer Shigeru Miyamoto and has since become the official mascot of Nintendo, owner of the trademark. The Mario franchise has expanded into other game genres, including racing, sports, party, puzzle, and RPG. The franchise also includes other media, including three animated television series, comic books, manga, film and other merchandise. It remains the best-selling video game franchise of all time.
--
anyways warcraft series are missing couple zeros here,so lets not compare these products by numbers ,those guys who did that might now hate WoW and are buying Mario Brosses.

so,give SWG 2.

VengeSunsoar

Hard Core Member

11/22/12 2:04:05 PM#58

Pretty darn good for Mario.  So Mario has sold more than Warcraft definately.  Now for part 2?  Which is more profitable?

Good digging btw.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

11/22/12 4:37:49 PM#59
Originally posted by Phlacc

Wow, ok. For everybody that's saying "SWG was a great game, but too many bugs", remember, the OP is talking about a REMAKE! So, think of SWG with no bugs and better graphics, don't think of it as exactly as it was.

And for everybody that says SWG was a failure, get a clue, SWTOR was a failure, SWG did not fail.

TOR sold 2M, and kept >1M sub for a while. How many boxes did SWG sell?

Onomas

Novice Member

11/22/12 4:50:14 PM#60
Originally posted by Phlacc

TOR sold 2M, and kept >1M sub for a while. How many boxes did SWG sell?

Thats like comparing apples to oranges.

The time between SWG and TOR are way diffeent considering only 30% of people had internet back then compared to 95% today. Also the hype and 200-400 million spent to make TOR was a waste, but SWG did far more for far less. Its like comparing a model T to a 2013 camaro and saying the model T was a failure because it couldnt get past 20 mph. Even though the model T in its prime was a great car.

6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search