Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | Firefall | H1Z1 | City of Heroes

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,852,146 Users Online:0
Games:733  Posts:6,226,924
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Negativity killed the cat.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
86 posts found
  dave6660

Hard Core Member

Joined: 9/26/08
Posts: 2338

"Next time I see you, remind me not to talk to you."

11/21/12 6:10:33 PM#61
Originally posted by Randayn

we sold over 2m copies of a generic game...WHAAA!

People are being negative and saying mean things about us....WHAAA!

WHAAA!  WHAAA! WHAAA!

There is nothing better than the forums.  We finally have the chance to actually state our opinions and give real reviews of games.  Is it going to be negative...hell yeah...but there will be a counter-balance of positive.

if you can't take the heat, get the f@#$ out the kitchen.

It's hypocritical to whine about whiners.

But this isn't just any generic game... this is GW2.  You're allowed to have an opinion of GW2 as long as it's positive.

"Why so serious?"
-- The Joker

  Icewhite

Made History

Joined: 7/11/11
Posts: 6495

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

11/21/12 6:16:37 PM#62
Besides, without these charming personalities to brighten our days, would this forum honestly be any fun at all?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

  kadepsyson

Advanced Member

Joined: 5/15/06
Posts: 1966

The doctors say his chances are 50/50...but there's only a 10% chance of that.

11/21/12 6:21:02 PM#63
Originally posted by Lobotomist

And ammount of negativity in gamer circles this days is astonding. I think we all know it and i will give no examples.

 


For example:

Players complaining about lack of item progression -> Anet gives them item progression <- Players complaining Anet promised there will be no item progression.

I laughed.

El Psy Congroo

  Myrdynn

Hard Core Member

Joined: 3/25/07
Posts: 1388

11/21/12 6:45:32 PM#64

still wanna know what I should do since Boredom killed my cat?

 

  Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Joined: 9/13/06
Posts: 19006

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

11/21/12 7:12:42 PM#65
Originally posted by dave6660
Originally posted by Randayn

we sold over 2m copies of a generic game...WHAAA!

People are being negative and saying mean things about us....WHAAA!

WHAAA!  WHAAA! WHAAA!

There is nothing better than the forums.  We finally have the chance to actually state our opinions and give real reviews of games.  Is it going to be negative...hell yeah...but there will be a counter-balance of positive.

if you can't take the heat, get the f@#$ out the kitchen.

It's hypocritical to whine about whiners.

But this isn't just any generic game... this is GW2.  You're allowed to have an opinion of GW2 as long as it's positive.

+1, thanks for the laugh tonight

"In these forums 'honest' seems to be a symonym for 'hates the game just like I do'" - ohioastro
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

  rdrakken

Apprentice Member

Joined: 6/15/12
Posts: 435

11/21/12 7:27:40 PM#66
Originally posted by Lobotomist

For example:

Players complaining about lack of item progression -> Anet gives them item progression <- Players complaining Anet promised there will be no item progression.

Its slippery slope of negativity

 1. Your real life example does not apply.

2.  The amount of complaining has increase in proportion matching the increase in the amount of people playing over the years and ANYONE that was reading gaming forums at the time Anarchy Online was released can tell you that.

3.  The example in the quote...one is player A asking for something, the other is player B complaining they broke their word. Its not the same person and this happens in every game ever made, I remember people complaining about changes to NWNO back in 1992 for pete's sake.

Its simple, if you are playing a game and hear someone make a complaint, its LEGIT FOR THEM,  DEAL WITH IT and move on.

  Burntvet

Advanced Member

Joined: 11/16/07
Posts: 2747

11/21/12 7:29:04 PM#67
Originally posted by potaco
Originally posted by Burntvet

There would not be as much negativity, if the MMO industry had not put out mostly crap for the last 8+ years.

Has any game since WoW really been a success? (And I don't mean getting WoW's player numbers or revenue, just chronologically since 2004)

One or two, maybe, but the rest have been nothing special. The "clone of the week" or "WoW with a twist" or "Shallow game using popular IP to sell boxes and then crash".

And that is not even talking about bad corporate behavior from the companies making the MMOs.

How can you blame people for negativity with all that?

 

This will obviously depend on your definition of "success"... I think that a lot of people call a game a "failure" wayyy too easily. Of the major MMOs that have shut down over the last few years, I can hardly think of any that are truly failures. Look at two in particular: SWG and CoH (soon)... SWG wasn't a failure at all and was shut down due to licensing issues. CoH wasn't a failure by any publicly available metric, yet was shut down for seemingly no reason.

 

Of the big releases since WoW, they are pretty much all still around in some form: AoC, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, etc, etc. I would call all of them successes overall.

Just because a game is still around, does not make it a "success", it just means it has not been canceled.

For instance, FC has 3 active MMOs going right now, AoC, TSW, and AO, and that whole company will be going out of business if it can't find a buyer. Which they are currently looking for. They had to lay off 50% of the company already. So, if they have 3 "successful MMOs" it is not helping them much.

Also, various devs have stated on various forums how cheap MMOs are to keep going once they are released, so again, that more have not been canceled doesn't really mean much.

And EA themselves said TOR was not considered a success, and that game, was the most expensive computer title ever produced, and is F2P in less than 1 year. Not a success by any stretch, just not closed. (Although many, many workers and executives were canned behind it's "non-success")

Personally, I don't think a game need be called a "failure" if it is not populated, however that many games limp along on life support or F2P forever does not make them a "success" either.

 

  Nightgroper

Apprentice Member

Joined: 7/28/12
Posts: 77

11/21/12 7:30:26 PM#68

I like to think the very old lesson being said here, that most have forgotten, is: If you have nothing useful to say then, be quiet.

 

I'm not saying that nothing bad cannot be said, but most are saying what's been said over, and over, and over. Then it just becomes whining. At that point, either whine in one of the source threads, or try and do something about it, if it bothers you so much.

 

The more I'm around the forums on this site, the more bitter I become.

  Jemcrystal

Elite Member

Joined: 1/02/08
Posts: 1329

Let em put a slave ring thru u're nose u're prob not going to like where they're taking you. Think.

11/21/12 7:47:30 PM#69

What you are really saying is people log into forums and believe whatever they read to be fact and not opinion thus react accordingly by leaving what they now believe to be a faulty game.  These are called Crowd Followers.  They have no ability to creatively think on their own and repeat what they hear and do as they are told every time.  

 

I make up my own mind.  That's why I'm a druatic homo Christian reincarnationist.  And I'm still playing a game everyone else quit because it wasn't bla bla bla enough.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130324141403/gaea-the-legendary-realm/images/4/47/Illena1.jpg

  bishbosh2

Apprentice Member

Joined: 7/13/12
Posts: 66

11/21/12 11:00:07 PM#70

OP there are thousands of people who play gw2. what has lead you to beleive that the people who asked for gear progression are the same people who are now upset that gear progression was added?

how does criticism ruin games? criticism does not somehow magically create bugs in code ? if anything criticism improves games by keeping publishers/developers on their feet constantly trying to improve their game.

it is fanboi attitudes like yours that gives publishers/devlopers the nerve to shit all over us customers. customers need to keep corporations on their feet with demands, suspicion and criticism. corporations want your money, thats all they care about <- realise this fact.

 

  Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Joined: 9/13/06
Posts: 19006

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

11/21/12 11:20:33 PM#71
Originally posted by Nightgroper

I like to think the very old lesson being said here, that most have forgotten, is: If you have nothing useful to say then, be quiet.

 

I'm not saying that nothing bad cannot be said, but most are saying what's been said over, and over, and over. Then it just becomes whining. At that point, either whine in one of the source threads, or try and do something about it, if it bothers you so much.

 

You can almost cut the irony with a knife. 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

"In these forums 'honest' seems to be a symonym for 'hates the game just like I do'" - ohioastro
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

  eyelolled

Advanced Member

Joined: 5/13/10
Posts: 3086

I am more than some of my parts

11/22/12 12:34:53 AM#72
Originally posted by Lobotomist

Here is a example from real life:

In my student days i used to live in a flat that i rented together with 3 mates. It was not great but as student money is in short supply, and we had all we needed. Yet one of the mates kept constantly complaining about everything. Slowly we all started hating that flat. But than that mate left, and slowly things started going back to normal and we again enjoyed our living quarters.

I guess I have learned there, how negativity can paint black even a good thing.

 

And ammount of negativity in gamer circles this days is astonding. I think we all know it and i will give no examples.

 

Its like a sickness of todays gamer community and its spreading. It now reached GW2.

This virus needs no big thing to fuel it. Any little thing can be a reason.

For example:

Players complaining about lack of item progression -> Anet gives them item progression <- Players complaining Anet promised there will be no item progression.

Its slippery slope of negativity.

 

Honestly its ruining every game for me.

So this is what I decided to do. (and tend to do with any game that I enjoy)

1. If you enjoy the game. Stop reading negativity treads - it will eventually effect you and ruin the game for you.

2. If you have things you dont like about the game (and we all have) - Is it so big an issue that you dont want to play the game anymore ? No ? You enjoy the game still - make your case known. But dont dwell on it to much. Enjoy the things you do like.

3. The issue is so big you can not enjoy the game anymore ? Its a bummer. Give the game a pause.Perhaps try planetside ?

 

So all in all. Negativity will ruin the game for you - even if you enjoy it.

Avoid taking part in it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Well said. I have brought up how I put people that hate on a game I like into my block list. It's not because they don't have a right to be heard, but rather that I have a right to not hear them. I don't care if I miss out on learning some glaring downside to some game in the future, if I can avoid hearing all the minor downsides to games that I enjoy. Some people feel that this is wrong, but it's really just the same point of view as you discussed. I just don't care to hear the negative, and as I find myself reading more, I realize that I better quit before I end up getting myself banned again.

 

"Evil begets evil Mr. President" - Vito Cornelius

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

  Nightgroper

Apprentice Member

Joined: 7/28/12
Posts: 77

11/22/12 12:41:36 AM#73
Originally posted by Kyleran
Originally posted by Nightgroper

I like to think the very old lesson being said here, that most have forgotten, is: If you have nothing useful to say then, be quiet.

 

I'm not saying that nothing bad cannot be said, but most are saying what's been said over, and over, and over. Then it just becomes whining. At that point, either whine in one of the source threads, or try and do something about it, if it bothers you so much.

 

You can almost cut the irony with a knife. 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Riiiiigght, so completely off topic now. I'm hitting my eject button out of this soon to be nonsense thread.

The more I'm around the forums on this site, the more bitter I become.

  Scot

Elite Member

Joined: 10/10/03
Posts: 5233

11/22/12 4:16:57 AM#74

What the OP thinks of as negativity I think of as the obvious conclusion of game design that focuses on post launch play and not long term play.

Oh and WoW killed the cat.

  Whitebeards

Advanced Member

Joined: 12/02/11
Posts: 750

11/22/12 8:19:32 AM#75
Originally posted by Scot

What the OP thinks of as negativity I think of as the obvious conclusion of game design that focuses on post launch play and not long term play.

Oh and WoW killed the cat.

Its more like a desperate cry for 'please don't say anything bad about my game, if you do i will ignore you'. Even though OP has indulged in negativity and doom and gloom in past  several times. Double standards as usual.

It would have given him more credibility if he had similar stance for every MMO that he had flamed in past. But when posts like these comes into defence of GW2..somethings are just too obvious ;)

  Quirhid

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/28/05
Posts: 5520

Correcting wrongs on the Internet...

11/22/12 9:06:28 AM#76
Originally posted by Whitebeards
Originally posted by Scot

What the OP thinks of as negativity I think of as the obvious conclusion of game design that focuses on post launch play and not long term play.

Oh and WoW killed the cat.

Its more like a desperate cry for 'please don't say anything bad about my game, if you do i will ignore you'. Even though OP has indulged in negativity and doom and gloom in past  several times. Double standards as usual.

It would have given him more credibility if he had similar stance for every MMO that he had flamed in past. But when posts like these comes into defence of GW2..somethings are just too obvious ;)

You guys miss his point completely and I am pretty sure you are the reason why he started this thread. You make me laugh and cry at the same time.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

  Icewhite

Made History

Joined: 7/11/11
Posts: 6495

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

11/22/12 9:07:59 AM#77
Originally posted by Jemcrystal

I make up my own mind.  That's why I'm a druatic homo Christian reincarnationist.  And I'm still playing a game everyone else quit because it wasn't bla bla bla enough.

 I must put something you offering plate, brother.  If WoW killed the cat, he'll be back as a flower shortly.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

  Iselin

The Listener

Joined: 3/04/08
Posts: 3778

11/22/12 9:41:28 AM#78
Originally posted by Kyleran
Originally posted by Nightgroper

I like to think the very old lesson being said here, that most have forgotten, is: If you have nothing useful to say then, be quiet.

 

I'm not saying that nothing bad cannot be said, but most are saying what's been said over, and over, and over. Then it just becomes whining. At that point, either whine in one of the source threads, or try and do something about it, if it bothers you so much.

 

You can almost cut the irony with a knife. 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Bah! Turkeys suck. What we need is a holiday where we get to decide what animal to slaughter and eat instead of this thanksgivings turkey theme.

  Whitebeards

Advanced Member

Joined: 12/02/11
Posts: 750

11/22/12 11:24:14 AM#79
Originally posted by Quirhid
You guys miss his point completely and I am pretty sure you are the reason why he started this thread. You make me laugh and cry at the same time.

And what is that point? that i have been a negative nancy for all this time but now i am gonna teach you how to ignore one? I don't think you have any idea how many times OP has killed a cat with negativity.

But i am glad i made you laugh and cry at same time. Not easy to bring out both emotions at same time in people.

  nariusseldon

Elite Member

Joined: 12/21/07
Posts: 19540

11/22/12 12:01:33 PM#80
Originally posted by Lobotomist

Here is a example from real life:

In my student days i used to live in a flat that i rented together with 3 mates. It was not great but as student money is in short supply, and we had all we needed. Yet one of the mates kept constantly complaining about everything. Slowly we all started hating that flat. But than that mate left, and slowly things started going back to normal and we again enjoyed our living quarters.

I guess I have learned there, how negativity can paint black even a good thing.

 

And ammount of negativity in gamer circles this days is astonding. I think we all know it and i will give no examples.

 

Its like a sickness of todays gamer community and its spreading. It now reached GW2.

This virus needs no big thing to fuel it. Any little thing can be a reason.

For example:

Players complaining about lack of item progression -> Anet gives them item progression <- Players complaining Anet promised there will be no item progression.

Its slippery slope of negativity.

 

Honestly its ruining every game for me.

So this is what I decided to do. (and tend to do with any game that I enjoy)

1. If you enjoy the game. Stop reading negativity treads - it will eventually effect you and ruin the game for you.

2. If you have things you dont like about the game (and we all have) - Is it so big an issue that you dont want to play the game anymore ? No ? You enjoy the game still - make your case known. But dont dwell on it to much. Enjoy the things you do like.

3. The issue is so big you can not enjoy the game anymore ? Its a bummer. Give the game a pause.Perhaps try planetside ?

 

So all in all. Negativity will ruin the game for you - even if you enjoy it.

Avoid taking part in it.

 

 

Don't let the haters get to you. Every game has its haters. I just enjoy.

In fact, i don't even need to avoid the negative threads. The point is not to let some random dude on the internet affect you.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search