Trending Games | Pirate101 | Guild Wars 2 | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,900,068 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,268,998
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Negativity killed the cat.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
86 posts found
  zymurgeist

Elite Member

11/21/12 7:16:10 AM#41
I don't think enough people understand the difference between constructive criticism and endless whining. If you're not part of the solution.........

"Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause" ~Victor Hugo

Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

11/21/12 8:42:58 AM#42
Originally posted by Lobotomist

Group A Players complaining about lack of item progression -> Anet gives them item progression <- Group B Players complaining Anet promised there will be no item progression.

Its slippery slope of negativity.

Well, you're using slippery slope incorrectly, and you're talking about different players as if they're the same guy.

But other than that, an op designed for extreme viewpoints, should work great.

(Naturally, we cannot require you to demonstrate that A=B here.  All we can do is present the assumptive flaw.)

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Lobotomist

Elite Member

I got so much trouble on my mind Refuse to lose.

OP  11/21/12 8:44:07 AM#43
Originally posted by Searias
Originally posted by Rimmersman
Originally posted by QuicklyScott

So this is basically a "don't say bad things about my game" thread.

Perhaps you should not even come to these forums or any internet forum if that is what you wish.

Also, if you went to University, you should have a basic comprehension of English.  Please make an effort.

That's what this thread is about, it's a "don't say bad things about GW2" even if it's genuine concerns. Thing is if you look at his post history he is actually guilty of what he is complaining about lol.

Stones and glass houses comes to mind.

Nice catch, just looked at his post history  hehe. He is contradicting himself with this post.

How so ?

I never said do not criticise games. I say If you want to enjoy the game , avoid negativity topic about it cause it might ruin it for you

User Deleted
11/21/12 8:48:39 AM#44

we sold over 2m copies of a generic game...WHAAA!

People are being negative and saying mean things about us....WHAAA!

WHAAA!  WHAAA! WHAAA!

There is nothing better than the forums.  We finally have the chance to actually state our opinions and give real reviews of games.  Is it going to be negative...hell yeah...but there will be a counter-balance of positive.

if you can't take the heat, get the f@#$ out the kitchen.

It's hypocritical to whine about whiners.

dreamscaper

Hard Core Member

11/21/12 8:59:34 AM#45
It's for this very reason that I've been less and less active on forums (including this one).  The constant negativity has been killing my interest in games that I would otherwise be enjoying.

<3

MumboJumbo

Elite Member

Veni, Vidi, Converti

11/21/12 9:02:13 AM#46

Here is a example from real life:

In my student days i used to live in a flat that i rented together with 3 mates. It was not great but as student money is in short supply, and we had all we needed. Yet one of the mates kept constantly complaining about everything. Slowly we all started hating that flat. But than that mate left, and slowly things started going back to normal and we again enjoyed our living quarters.

I guess I have learned there, how negativity can paint black even a good thing.

This is 100% true. Everyone needs to help bail water in a leaky ship and share rations! Throw any "Jonas" overboard to boost morale!

So all in all. Negativity will ruin the game for you - even if you enjoy it.

Avoid taking part in it.

And ammount of negativity in gamer circles this days is astonding. I think we all know it and i will give no examples.

Its like a sickness of todays gamer community and its spreading. It now reached GW2.

This virus needs no big thing to fuel it. Any little thing can be a reason.

Agree, game discussion is too negative often: A lack of CONTRUCTIVE CRITICISM is just venting on the internet (not just games but any forum of commentators on any subject!).

daeandor

Novice Member

11/21/12 9:07:19 AM#47

Honestly its ruining every game for me.

So this is what I decided to do. (and tend to do with any game that I enjoy)

1. If you enjoy the game. Stop reading negativity treads - it will eventually effect you and ruin the game for you.

2. If you have things you dont like about the game (and we all have) - Is it so big an issue that you dont want to play the game anymore ? No ? You enjoy the game still - make your case known. But dont dwell on it to much. Enjoy the things you do like.

3. The issue is so big you can not enjoy the game anymore ? Its a bummer. Give the game a pause.Perhaps try planetside ?

Avoid taking part in it.

You win at life friend.  Seriously.

As you have noticed, the global society has produced an odd problem:  Negative comments, news, etc gets more attention than positive actions, comments, news, etc.  Among youth in western societies, where +1's, likes, etc are registered, counted and tabulated for everyone and every post or comment made, value is placed on those cyber "pluses."  Negative comments  always garner more attention because they create controversy.  Positive comments are agreed to and passed over without controversy.  No different among gaming communities.

I will say this:  In the days of EQ AC and UO being the only primary western mmorpgs, you had more loyalty for one reason: lack of choice.  You either liked one or you didn't, and you adapted to your chosen mmorpg and found a way to enjoy it or completely quit.  

Kaneth

Elite Member

11/21/12 9:18:39 AM#48
Originally posted by daeandor

1. If you enjoy the game. Stop reading negativity treads - it will eventually effect you and ruin the game for you.

2. If you have things you dont like about the game (and we all have) - Is it so big an issue that you dont want to play the game anymore ? No ? You enjoy the game still - make your case known. But dont dwell on it to much. Enjoy the things you do like.

3. The issue is so big you can not enjoy the game anymore ? Its a bummer. Give the game a pause.Perhaps try planetside ?

Avoid taking part in it.

As you have noticed, the global society has produced an odd problem:  Negative comments, news, etc gets more attention than positive actions, comments, news, etc.  Among youth in western societies, where +1's, likes, etc are registered, counted and tabulated for everyone and every post or comment made, value is placed on those cyber "pluses."  Negative comments  always garner more attention because they create controversy.  Positive comments are agreed to and passed over without controversy.  No different among gaming communities.

I will say this:  In the days of EQ AC and UO being the only primary western mmorpgs, you had more loyalty for one reason: lack of choice.  You either liked one or you didn't, and you adapted to your chosen mmorpg and found a way to enjoy it or completely quit.  

You last sentence is truly golden. In '99 I played AC, I didn't care for UO when I tried it, and I never saw the appeal of EQ. Not once did I ever go to a EQ or UO forum and spew out all sorts of hate for the game. I read the AC forums for news, fun, theorizing where the story would go based off new lore, etc. It was a really good time.

Now, if I get bored with a game, I'll stop playing. However, when I try to go read the forums to find a new idea of how to play to respark my interest all I see is tons of threads of whining, pissing and moaning. Which of course defeats the whole purpose.

Honestly, the best thing anyone can ever do is just not read the forums at all, and be blissfully ignorant of the general whiney consensus around any game.

Thorbrand

Novice Member

11/21/12 9:22:32 AM#49

People will be negative to a game that doesn't deliver the contant for it to be a MMO. You appear to think it is the gamers fault that they should just blindly play games that don't stand up to what a MMO should be and are obviouly lacking in featrues and contant compared to MMOs that actually last for more than a year.

It is the casual death of MMOs!

VeryDusty

Apprentice Member

11/21/12 9:36:36 AM#50
Originally posted by Thorbrand

People will be negative to a game that doesn't deliver the contant for it to be a MMO. You appear to think it is the gamers fault that they should just blindly play games that don't stand up to what a MMO should be and are obviouly lacking in featrues and contant compared to MMOs that actually last for more than a year.

It is the casual death of MMOs!

I don't think that to be true. I do think that gamers have a particular opinion or expectation for a game ( it may be realistic or not) and if the game doesn't fit what they expect, instead of just not playing any more and voting with their wallet, they go on forums and complain and whine. Does that really do anything? In Rift, it did happen with Saboteurs and then other build used by Rogues and made the class at one point hard to play in PvE (it was the PvPers complaining). Rather than look at how they could mitigate or change how the damge was caused they instead totally nerfed a class.

[mod edit]

Torik

Apprentice Member

11/21/12 10:26:07 AM#51

In my student days i used to live in a flat that i rented together with 3 mates. It was not great but as student money is in short supply, and we had all we needed. Yet one of the mates kept constantly complaining about everything. Slowly we all started hating that flat. But than that mate left, and slowly things started going back to normal and we again enjoyed our living quarters.

I lived with roommates while in university.  However, in our case a little negativity would have probably really helped.  We were so focused on the now and only caring about the positive things that we tended to forget that all of us were utter slobs and noone had actually bothered to take out the grabage or clean the bathroom in over a month.   We really could have used some negativity in our lives there.  :)

NaughtyP

Novice Member

11/21/12 10:45:35 AM#52

OP's idea at its core is great. People should be able to put things aside and move on. However, this patch (for some players) took what wasn't broken and made it broken. It really doesn't matter if it is a right move or a wrong move. The very idea that someone wrecked something you previously enjoyed, no matter how small and unimportant and miniscule, is an infuriating thing for many people. So there is no reason to be dismissive about their feedback. The MMO community, in my opinion, has every right to be pissed off at the current state of the genre and how poorly companies appear to treat their existing customers.

So yeah, people should let things go, but developers and creators need to stop biting the hand that feeds too. I was turned off MMOs for 3 years before I tried GW2. I was happy. Now, not so much. I certainly won't be paying for any MMOs anytime soon, but might try the free ones.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

11/21/12 10:56:13 AM#53

Avoid taking part in it.

I will say this:  In the f EQ AC and UO being the only primary western mmorpgs, days oyou had more loyalty for one reason: lack of choice.  You either liked one or you didn't, and you adapted to your chosen mmorpg and found a way to enjoy it or completely quit.  

Here's the funny thing, despite the more than ten-fold increase in available titles today, you had more real choice between those 3 titles you mentioned than you do know.

People didn't bitch as much because they were arguably superior titles to the same old retreads they keep tossing at us today.

I mean seriously, how long can you really keep playing the same game, with just a slightly different skin?

Arrogant, Condescending, Dismissive, Elitist, "Meany", you speak as if these are bad things?
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Burntvet

Hard Core Member

11/21/12 11:04:44 AM#54

There would not be as much negativity, if the MMO industry had not put out mostly crap for the last 8+ years.

Has any game since WoW really been a success? (And I don't mean getting WoW's player numbers or revenue, just chronologically since 2004)

One or two, maybe, but the rest have been nothing special. The "clone of the week" or "WoW with a twist" or "Shallow game using popular IP to sell boxes and then crash".

And that is not even talking about bad corporate behavior from the companies making the MMOs.

How can you blame people for negativity with all that?

VeryDusty

Apprentice Member

11/21/12 11:12:25 AM#55
Originally posted by Burntvet

There would not be as much negativity, if the MMO industry had not put out mostly crap for the last 8+ years.

Has any game since WoW really been a success? (And I don't mean getting WoW's player numbers or revenue, just chronologically since 2004)

One or two, maybe, but the rest have been nothing special. The "clone of the week" or "WoW with a twist" or "Shallow game using popular IP to sell boxes and then crash".

And that is not even talking about bad corporate behavior from the companies making the MMOs.

As some have said, people are still paying and playing. Why would the industry change if they are still getting money. Vote with your wallet, negativity just makes them react as a fringe and ignore the issues. Look how many people bought D3 - it wasnt a bad game and it wasn't a good game - mediocre. If people wouldn't have bought it, maybe patches would have come out differently.

Vote with your wallet and hit them where they live.

Quirhid

Elite Member

Correcting wrongs on the Internet...

11/21/12 11:56:21 AM#56
This is why bitching is not allowed in the military(informally). Still... it wont stop the people who don't get it. They need to broadcast their worries and pains to everyone.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Phaserlight

Novice Member

Do you want to improve the world? I don't think it can be done. -Lao Tzu

11/21/12 12:06:30 PM#57
I agree wholeheartedly with Kylerian's first two posts in this thread.

"To be what you are not, experience what you are not." -Saint John of the Cross
Authored 110 missions in Vendetta Online
Check it out on Steam

potaco

Novice Member

11/21/12 12:09:26 PM#58
Originally posted by Burntvet

This will obviously depend on your definition of "success"... I think that a lot of people call a game a "failure" wayyy too easily. Of the major MMOs that have shut down over the last few years, I can hardly think of any that are truly failures. Look at two in particular: SWG and CoH (soon)... SWG wasn't a failure at all and was shut down due to licensing issues. CoH wasn't a failure by any publicly available metric, yet was shut down for seemingly no reason.

Of the big releases since WoW, they are pretty much all still around in some form: AoC, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, etc, etc. I would call all of them successes overall.

greenreen

Advanced Member

11/21/12 12:51:17 PM#59

And ammount of negativity in gamer circles this days is astonding. I think we all know it and i will give no examples.

Its like a sickness of todays gamer community and its spreading. It now reached GW2.

This virus needs no big thing to fuel it. Any little thing can be a reason.

For example:

Players complaining about lack of item progression -> Anet gives them item progression <- Players complaining Anet promised there will be no item progression.

Its slippery slope of negativity.

Avoid taking part in it.

Not true at all.

Negative game comments make me defend my game.

When I make negative game comments it's because I mean them.

For the area I highlighted yellow on your post.

You overlooked something so simple. I never asked for progression, I never claimed that I was bored. The people that didn't like the gear grind didn't ask for it. You are off course pointing fingers at them as if they did ask for it then complain. I was playing the game minding my own business when out of nowhere they came out with this change.

Show some evidence for what you claim - show the 11,000 posts saying "Give me something to do!!". I can name one 11,000 post that is rife with "I don't like what you did and I didn't ask for it".

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Thoughts-on-Ascended-Gear-Merged-threads

Here's a video you can watch too, read the comments, especially the recent ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35BPhT-KI1E

Arenanet killed this cat, no one but them.

Don't just say things, have proof.

Calerxes

Spotlight Poster

11/21/12 2:56:43 PM#60
Originally posted by Kyleran

Avoid taking part in it.

I will say this:  In the f EQ AC and UO being the only primary western mmorpgs, days oyou had more loyalty for one reason: lack of choice.  You either liked one or you didn't, and you adapted to your chosen mmorpg and found a way to enjoy it or completely quit.  

Here's the funny thing, despite the more than ten-fold increase in available titles today, you had more real choice between those 3 titles you mentioned than you do know.

People didn't bitch as much because they were arguably superior titles to the same old retreads they keep tossing at us today.

I mean seriously, how long can you really keep playing the same game, with just a slightly different skin?

Ask longterm.. FPS, RTS, MOBA, PLATFORM, RPG players oh and err! MMO players. Most genres have been basically the same since their inception.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search