Trending Games | Landmark | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Camelot Unchained | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,511 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,309,879
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Should MMORPG.com also cover MMORTS games?

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
53 posts found
  Betaguy

Advanced Member

Some folks are like Slinkies, totally useless but great fun to watch when pushed down stairs

11/18/12 10:04:53 AM#21

erictlewis

Advanced Member

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results.

11/18/12 10:05:07 AM#22

They already do, this topic has been discussed at leangh, Mike B has commented himself on many different threads about why the cover mmorts. 

Heck half the games on this site do not even come close to being an mmorpg.  

Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

11/18/12 10:07:54 AM#23
Originally posted by Kaneth
They are mmos, hell half the mmorpgs on mmorpg.com lack the rpg part.

Virtually all of them, in fact.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Axxar

Hard Core Member

"See how I reward those who fail me!"

11/18/12 10:29:49 AM#24
Originally posted by Mitara

It sounds like the majority here feels that MMORPG.com has been washed out and is not focused enough no more, is that right? So the real question should be if MMORPG should clean their list of games up and only do MMORPGs and perhaps make dedicated sites for the other types of games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sPmVYVso0o

There are games being covered here that are neither MMO nor RPG. While I don't mind such games, it's just kind of odd to cover them on a site called mmorpg.com.

It's like making a site called firstpersonshootergames.com and covering StarCraft 2.

"Tiny clown, he got wet. I was talking to a psychic and I can't sleep in the ozone. There are too many different peanuts, looking sad.

grimal

Spotlight Poster

11/18/12 10:42:02 AM#25

They seriously need to look into changing their domain name or adding more domains to it.  Very easy to do.

www.mmo.com or something like that.  Make mmorpg.com a section or link to the RPG section.

"I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you." - Robin Williams

fenistil

Novice Member

11/18/12 10:44:16 AM#26
Originally posted by Loktofeit

MMORPGs have evolved into an entire MMO platform of a multiple genres. This site should have remained insular and short-sighted by reporting only on MMORPGs and nothing else, or they could have grown and evolved with the industry. They did the latter.

If it's any consolation, the remaining purists of the MMO community seem to be heavity concentrated here, so whenever you want to only discuss real MMORPGs and talk with true MMORPG fans you can easily do so.

Well not only MMO's also non-mmo lobby multiplayer games like LoL, Wot or D3.

As for purists.  It is not only place with so called 'purists' there are other sites with significant amount of 'us' out there. 

madazz

Novice Member

11/18/12 1:10:59 PM#27
Considering LoL, Dota, GW1 and Diablo 3 are on here, we may as well have GTA, Team Fortress, Battlefield, COD, Counterstrike, Starcraft, and any other game that has an online component of any shape or form.
  azzamasin

Advanced Member

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality.

11/18/12 1:14:43 PM#28
Originally posted by Axxar
It already covers games that aren't even MMOs, so why not?

I dont think they should cover those either.  Games like Firefall, or Planetside 2 are not RPG's and those should be covered in the RTS and FPS guru sites.

If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

madazz

Novice Member

11/18/12 1:17:46 PM#29
Originally posted by azzamasin

I dont think they should cover those either.  Games like Firefall, or Planetside 2 are not RPG's and those should be covered in the RTS and FPS guru sites.

I personally don't mind if they cover non RPG games as the genre has outgrown just being RPG MMO's. My only thing is why is it on here if its not an MMO?

I just figure the site needs to adapt some... but I fail to see how adding games like a 4 player co-op makes any sense at all.

Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

11/18/12 1:20:42 PM#30

Psst.  We do not get a vote.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

11/19/12 12:14:18 PM#31
Originally posted by madazz

I personally don't mind if they cover non RPG games as the genre has outgrown just being RPG MMO's. My only thing is why is it on here if its not an MMO?

I just figure the site needs to adapt some... but I fail to see how adding games like a 4 player co-op makes any sense at all.

Because many co-op games (like Diablo 3) are very close in play style to some MMOs (like WOW). And there are a lot of cross over players (for example, at least 1.2M wow players played D3).

nethervoid

Novice Member

11/19/12 12:45:19 PM#32

I'm fine with a game being on this site if it's an MMO, because non RPG MMOs didn't really exist when this site was created, but putting games like D3 etc on here is not a good idea IMO. It's basically a sell out to get more traffic. Another way to look at it is false advertising. If you want to cover non-mmos create a non-mmo site.

But as has previously mentioned I don't think they care much about what people on the forums think about what is covered. We probably constitute less than 0.1% of the traffic.

nethervoid - Est. '97
[UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR]
13k subs YouTube Gaming channel

Onomas

Novice Member

Sandbox is your only hope for a decent mmo ;)

11/19/12 12:50:50 PM#33

OH i can get 30 people in a server lets slap mmo on the front of it and pretend its a real one. I mean seriously. MMORTS/MMOFPS?

Unless you have progression, persistant world, and a handful of other criteria they are not mmo's. Hell BF3 is more of a mmo than half these so called mmofps (warz) are claiming to be. Just because you can fit 100 people into a server, doesnt make it a mmo.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

11/19/12 12:54:10 PM#34
Originally posted by Onomas

OH i can get 30 people in a server lets slap mmo on the front of it and pretend its a real one. I mean seriously. MMORTS/MMOFPS?

Unless you have progression, persistant world, and a handful of other criteria they are not mmo's. Hell BF3 is more of a mmo than half these so called mmofps (warz) are claiming to be. Just because you can fit 100 people into a server, doesnt make it a mmo.

This can be fixed by a simple change to the name of the site. How about just MOG? Multiplayer Online Games.

Onomas

Novice Member

Sandbox is your only hope for a decent mmo ;)

11/19/12 1:04:10 PM#35
Originally posted by nariusseldon

This can be fixed by a simple change to the name of the site. How about just MOG? Multiplayer Online Games.

Well mmorpg.com also has:

http://www.rtsguru.com/

and

http://www.fpsguru.com/

nariusseldon

Elite Member

11/19/12 2:12:05 PM#36

Well mmorpg.com also has:

http://www.rtsguru.com/

and

http://www.fpsguru.com/

Not as convenient as one destination.

Torvaldr

Elite Member

11/19/12 2:26:16 PM#37

I think they should broaden their horizons even more.  They should have one portal like some other sites with easy access to sub-categories like rpg, rts, fps, etc.  One of those etc tabs should be a portal for browser based gaming where gamers can meet and play casual together if they want.

Online gaming is changing rapidly.  What made "mmorpgs" 15 years ago aren't what they're going to be today or in the future just like the internet isn't going back to 1995, newsgroups are essentially dead, and how we used computers then won't return either.

If they provide multiple options of access under a single portal people can get together to do whatever they want but still talk with like minded gamers if they choose.  This way the mmorpg purists can focus on that and the rest of the gamers can participate there and elsewhere as they desire.  By diversifying and especially opening themselves up as a gaming portal they have the opportunity to diversify their revenue streams as well and not be tied to the rapidly aging ad spam model.

Curse you AquaScum!

Cecropia

Gumshoe

Poacher killer.

11/19/12 2:45:52 PM#38

I, like many others, have been coming to this site called mmorpg.com because I have an interest in mmorpgs. If I had an interest in another genre, guess where I'd be posting?

If you have a love of pick up trucks why in fuck would you go to a motorcycle website and request that they change their name and content to better suit pick up truck fans? It's almost as if you were looking for some sort of of new gaming hobby, got lost, and somehow ended up on mmorpg.com.

The end of this bizarre age of entitlement cannot come soon enough.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

nariusseldon

Elite Member

11/19/12 2:48:52 PM#39
Originally posted by Torvaldr

I think they should broaden their horizons even more.  They should have one portal like some other sites with easy access to sub-categories like rpg, rts, fps, etc.  One of those etc tabs should be a portal for browser based gaming where gamers can meet and play casual together if they want.

Online gaming is changing rapidly.  What made "mmorpgs" 15 years ago aren't what they're going to be today or in the future just like the internet isn't going back to 1995, newsgroups are essentially dead, and how we used computers then won't return either.

If they provide multiple options of access under a single portal people can get together to do whatever they want but still talk with like minded gamers if they choose.  This way the mmorpg purists can focus on that and the rest of the gamers can participate there and elsewhere as they desire.  By diversifying and especially opening themselves up as a gaming portal they have the opportunity to diversify their revenue streams as well and not be tied to the rapidly aging ad spam model.

Agreed. The whole MMO genre has undergone a lot of changes through the last 10 years. It is not very useful holding onto old "purist" ideas and narrow the scope of the site to just that.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

11/19/12 2:51:55 PM#40
Originally posted by Cecropia

I, like many others, have been coming to this site called mmorpg.com because I have an interest in mmorpgs. If I had an interest in another genre, guess where I'd be posting?

If you have a love of pick up trucks why in fuck would you go to a motorcycle website and request that they change their name and content to better suit pick up truck fans? It's almost as if you were looking for some sort of of new gaming hobby, got lost, and somehow ended up on mmorpg.com.

The end of this bizarre age of entitlement cannot come soon enough.

It is not like posting here and on other sites are mutually exclusive. If some MMORPG are discussed here, what is wrong with posting here?

Do you go to gamefaq.com? It is not like game site cannot cover more than 1 narrowly defined genre.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search