Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Crowfall

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,950,660 Users Online:0
Games:778  Posts:6,374,755
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Rift Forum » General Discussion » Rift - getting more attention

6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search
101 posts found
  Onomas

Novice Member

Sandbox is your only hope for a decent mmo ;)

11/05/12 1:10:54 PM#21

Rift was not a bad game at all. The wife(yes shes a gamer also) and I have been talking about returning because the other new mmo's are just horrible. She did like Tera, though i havent played it yet. SO its a toss up between rift, aion, and tera. THough i like Vanguard better.

But i did enjoy rift, and with new player housing coming along, it may be enough to swing us towards rift. Granted Aion has housing also, I think Rift housing looks very nice.

But its hard to pick one, i liked rift, aion, and vanguard......

Gdemami

Elite Member

11/05/12 1:18:14 PM#22

Originally posted by Icewhite

EVE took ~ five years to climb out of it's opening day hole.

Nah, it was steadily increasing sub numbers each year till release of Incarna, about +20% increase in subscriptions per year.

On topic:
Discussing Rift subscriber numbers is moot since Trion does not provide any numbers.

Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

11/05/12 1:20:22 PM#23
Originally posted by Gdemami

On topic:
Discussing Rift subscriber numbers is moot since Trion does not provide any numbers.

Trion r smarter than your average bear.  Must frustrate the ad numerum fans to no end.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

FrodoFragins

Hard Core Member

11/05/12 1:20:40 PM#24
WOW just kept growing.  Rift lost a sizeable amount of players and is trying to hold steady.  I don't see Rift growing much.  Hopefully the goodwill for Rift can help their next MMO break it big though.
  FrodoFragins

Hard Core Member

11/05/12 1:24:24 PM#25
Originally posted by RavingRabbid
This a very well done game by a great company. Trion has shown the industry how a launch is suppose to go. Whether the industry listens or not remains to be seen. Longevity and sub-wise this game will never reach extremly high numbers, but if Storm legion is any indication of thisngs to come things will look really good for Trion.  Ive heard nothing but great things about Storm legion. Once it comes out I may revisit Rift. Ive also heard that in rift you can be placed in WZ with members of the opposite faction! I wish other games would do this!

Unfortunately, Rift isn't nearly a big enough success to change the industry.  People would rather play in an IP they love than a new IP with a much more polished product.

wrightstuf

Novice Member

11/05/12 1:27:05 PM#26
10 abilities in 1 button macro spam....err, i'll pass. thx
  strangiato2112

Spotlight Poster

11/05/12 1:46:09 PM#27
Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Unfortunately, Rift isn't nearly a big enough success to change the industry.  People will just say, people would rather play in an IP they love than a new IP with a much more polished product.

And if companies come to this conclusion, than they will fail their next project.

Rift not making it big had *nothing* to do with IP.  Everquest was an original IP.  While GW2 was the first true MMO under the Guild Wars name, the first one still built up a very strong foundation off of an original IP.  EvE was an original IP.  

I think the biggest lesson to learn is size matters.  Tiny game worlds dont cut it.  

kevjards

Apprentice Member

11/05/12 2:01:08 PM#28
Originally posted by strangiato2112
Originally posted by DonY81

Is it me or do you think Rift could potentially be a slow starter in terms of popularity.

Im sure WOW didnt start off with 10+ mill subscribers but look where it is today. All i hear people saying about Trion is how well they implement content and how fast. On top of that ive heard some big things with the new xpac  much larger world.

WoW grew constantly for years and years.  Rift declined for its first 18 months.  They put out a lot of patches, and the housing they are adding will help, but i have a feeling neglecting the 1-50 world size is going to hurt their chances of bringing people back.

I could see Rift doing what EQ2 did, decline for the first 2 years then have a nice resurgance for a few years due to quality expansions and game improvements, but ultimately i dont think Rift is going to ever get big.  There are just better games on the market (for most people) and releasing a lot of content only goes so far when people prefer other games' content instead.

Keep in mind if Rift can get 250-300k people for a few years (I think it will) its still a successful game.  But it wont be the next game to top 400k consistently

i agree with this but for another reason..when wow came out there were'nt that many mmo's on the go..look at the mmo scene now..there are literally thousand all trying to grab a slice of the action.populations are so spread out over other games that no game now will ever have 10 million subs again..i may be wrong but i dont think so.

part of the problem these days is that people have been playing the same mmo's for yrs.take wow for instance or lotro.people have invested so much time playing these games they are reluctant to go anywhere else or  commit full time to another game.yes they try something else but eventually they realise its more of the same and hop back to what they know best..thats my opinion anyways.

jensea

Apprentice Member

11/05/12 9:16:44 PM#29
Originally posted by wrightstuf

Nope. They killed the all-in-one macros with Storm Legion.

dead2soon

Novice Member

11/05/12 9:24:26 PM#30

If this is your biggest complaint a lot of that has changed for a lot of classes.

Not_Khaeros

Novice Member

11/05/12 9:25:28 PM#31
Originally posted by jensea

Nope. They killed the all-in-one macros with Storm Legion.

The top MM dps spec can be played with 2 macros and still stay within 2% of the optimal dps without macros.  This was tested in SL as well.

To be specific, they didn't kill the all-in-one macros - they redesigned each soul to make it less of a requirement to put 20 abilities in one macro because of action bar real estate.  Of course, certain souls are easier to macro than others.  Shaman used to be a one button wonder but now all you need is a macro with all your non-Physical abilities and one with your Physical abilities (and still do within 5% DPS - make Jolt a separate bind for more dps).

tkoreaper

Apprentice Member

11/05/12 9:54:32 PM#32
Originally posted by CaerusX
I feel like Trion needs to embrace f2p with Rift.

I completely disagree... While I don't actively play Rift because I'm pretty burned out on MMORPGs at the moment, I am still subbed and it is the ONLY game IMO that is worth the sub due to having a great development team and the quickest content updates of any other game.

Going F2P would break this system and the game... The game would have to be changed to add microtransactions which IMO would ruin an already established game. F2P is only necessary if the game's subs are hurting and is used as a last ditch effort to keep/maintain their players in hopes of seeing growth. Rift's subs aren't hurting and the game is thriving in spite of what people may say. Why try to fix something that isn't broken?

strangiato2112

Spotlight Poster

11/05/12 11:42:08 PM#33
Originally posted by tkoreaper

I completely disagree... While I don't actively play Rift because I'm pretty burned out on MMORPGs at the moment, I am still subbed and it is the ONLY game IMO that is worth the sub due to having a great development team and the quickest content updates of any other game.

Going F2P would break this system and the game... The game would have to be changed to add microtransactions which IMO would ruin an already established game. F2P is only necessary if the game's subs are hurting and is used as a last ditch effort to keep/maintain their players in hopes of seeing growth. Rift's subs aren't hurting and the game is thriving in spite of what people may say. Why try to fix something that isn't broken?

1.  What evidence is there that ts 'thriving'?  How could one possibly believe the game has more than 200k subs at this point in time?  In less than two years they have shut down 85% of their NA servers.  

2.  There are already microtransactions in Rift.  Hell they even added an in game store to make it easier to add more. I think they would go the increased microtransaction route as opposed to a freemium route, especially with housing being introduced, good potential for non-essential mts.  plus theres always cosmetics.  None of this stuff is bad as long as it goes to game development and not pocket lining.

sancher36

Novice Member

11/06/12 4:08:47 AM#34

1.  What evidence is there that ts 'thriving'?  How could one possibly believe the game has more than 200k subs at this point in time?  In less than two years they have shut down 85% of their NA servers.  

2.  There are already microtransactions in Rift.  Hell they even added an in game store to make it easier to add more. I think they would go the increased microtransaction route as opposed to a freemium route, especially with housing being introduced, good potential for non-essential mts.  plus theres always cosmetics.  None of this stuff is bad as long as it goes to game development and not pocket lining.

Due to server technology advances each server can now hold more players overall therefore even if they removed servers they also announced that each server now has a massive increase capacity load. 

We really still have no informed information on what the new capacity load is now. Therefore you cannot clearly say that its going good or bad unless you have some kind of inside information on this. 

User Deleted
11/06/12 4:19:41 AM#35

Rift does need to go f2p, LOTRO's transition gave it a huge second-wind and burst of popularity. F2P just draws a ton of attention, and many whom are drawn go on to subscribe.

It just leaves me flabbergasted that they're denying all of this money for some strange and mystery reason.

With that said, there is NO way rift doesn't go f2p by next years end. It will just leave me utterly dumbfounded.  Seriously with all the high-quality F2P options that will be out there it just doesn't make sense for a lesser mmo not to go that route. Unless they hate money of course. 

fivoroth

Spotlight Poster

11/06/12 4:25:30 AM#36

WoW kept growing. By the time Blizzard released their first expansion, the game had millions of subscribers, all of those in NA/EU (don't think the game was released in Asia at that time). The game was a massive success right from the start. It had a very poor launch but people still kept playing because the game itself was incredibly addicting and fun. 

But there was one thing which WoW had which Rift will never have. Its IP. There were so many WC3 fans who switched over to WoW. As a WC fan, for me it was just amazing to explore those lands which we've seen/read about in the RTS games. With rift and I never really managed to connect with the world which is when I usually stop playing.

However, the dedication of Trion is commendable.  In my opinion they are one of the very few developers that are giving enough back for the sub fee. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Iechinok

Novice Member

11/06/12 11:11:26 AM#37
Originally posted by sancher36

Due to server technology advances each server can now hold more players overall therefore even if they removed servers they also announced that each server now has a massive increase capacity load. 

We really still have no informed information on what the new capacity load is now. Therefore you cannot clearly say that its going good or bad unless you have some kind of inside information on this. 

Actually, there was a post by Elrar a while back that stated that the servers had at least doubled in capacity.  I remember coming across the subject when browsing through MMO-Champion.

Edit:  Ah!  I found the original post!

http://forums.riftgame.com/official-rift-news/news-announcements/336414-north-american-server-structure-update.html

strangiato2112

Spotlight Poster

11/06/12 12:46:02 PM#38
Originally posted by Iechinok
Originally posted by sancher36

Actually, there was a post by Elrar a while back that stated that the servers had at least doubled in capacity.  I remember coming across the subject when browsing through MMO-Champion.

Edit:  Ah!  I found the original post!

http://forums.riftgame.com/official-rift-news/news-announcements/336414-north-american-server-structure-update.html

I stand corrected, although the use of the word 'effectively' is odd there.  Did it double or not?  What is the effectively for?

That said, there were only 6 or 7 truly active servers and a server merge was long overdue, I figured they wer eholding off to see what the SL influx was now.  If they are indeed doubled than there are basically 6 low capacity (by the new standards) servers and 2 medium (wolfsbane, faeblight) waiting for the SL influx.  

strangiato2112

Spotlight Poster

11/06/12 1:11:31 PM#39
Originally posted by fivoroth

But there was one thing which WoW had which Rift will never have. Its IP. There were so many WC3 fans who switched over to WoW. As a WC fan, for me it was just amazing to explore those lands which we've seen/read about in the RTS games. With rift and I never really managed to connect with the world which is when I usually stop playing.

An existing IP gives a developer a head start and some extra initial subscribers,in the case of Warcraft or Star Wars, a lot of initial subscribers.

Your italicized part has little to do with the fact Rift isnt an existing IP.  You tried it anyway.  Its just not, to you, an interesting IP.

Games do not need existing IPs.  Everquest is the obvious example.  

And as for the reverse, when I first stepped into Azeroth I knew nothing of the IP.  I had no clue who Thrall was.  But I connected with the world in a big way.

I always thought Rift's original marketing sogan was one of the worst slogans in MMO history.  EQ for years used 'You're in our world now'.  That was a brilliant slogan, its saying 'we created this world that is going to suck you in'.  Rift's slogan?  'You're not in Azeroth anymore'.  What does that say about the game? 'We're not WoW'?  Well I hope not, but you turned out to be close enough.  If Im not in Azeroth, where am I?  Oh, I'm someplace nowhere near as interesting as Azeroth.  I guess 'we created this pretty but generic game for you to play' didnt hit it off with the test markket.

Vannor

Hard Core Member

11/06/12 6:07:19 PM#40
Originally posted by fivoroth

I always thought Rift's original marketing sogan was one of the worst slogans in MMO history.  EQ for years used 'You're in our world now'.  That was a brilliant slogan, its saying 'we created this world that is going to suck you in'.  Rift's slogan?  'You're not in Azeroth anymore'.  What does that say about the game? 'We're not WoW'?  Well I hope not, but you turned out to be close enough.  If Im not in Azeroth, where am I?  Oh, I'm someplace nowhere near as interesting as Azeroth.  I guess 'we created this pretty but generic game for you to play' didnt hit it off with the test markket.

I despise people who know nothing about marketing but have a self proclaimed opinion about everything to do with marketing. Firstly, the developers and marketing team are completely different people. In fact, the marketing is probably done by a seperate company altogether, it's called outsourcing. Second, Rift's launch slogan worked perfectly. You wanna know why? Because people like YOU are still talking about it. That is perfect, PERFECT, marketing. It made some people laugh and it pissed some people off, either way everyone had something to say about it; the word got around.

Sadly their latest marketing attempts havn't been anywhere near as clever. The save a panda thing was pretty good though.

6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search