Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,770,347 Users Online:0
Games:720  Posts:6,187,029
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Rift Forum » General Discussion » Bad Community

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
33 posts found
  Betaguy

Elite Member

Some folks are like Slinkies, totally useless but great fun to watch when pushed down stairs

8/23/13 8:41:41 AM#21
Originally posted by Binafus

I played this game back since beta had been gone a year.

Went back spent money on Patron, mounts and other items only to find out the community in this game is really bad and the mods just let stuff go and go.

You can thank the free to play syndrom for this.  It's why I don't play F2P games, well, and the fact they are free to play for a reason, just bad games. I prefer the subscription model, keeps a lot of the rift raft out.

cibetka

Novice Member

10/06/13 6:03:43 PM#22
So you are one of those people who think it must be good if its expensive. Your kind really makes traders rich and happy :)
  Beastn

Novice Member

10/06/13 7:24:15 PM#23
that's funny I just came back after a long break and thought just the opposite.... way better community than the last mmo I was on ( wow)
  syriinx

Advanced Member

10/06/13 10:21:37 PM#24

general channels on faeblight were a cesspool after the faction chat merge.  It was awful.

Overall community was decent though.  A bit antisocial, but thats par for the course these days.

As with all MMOs today, its all about finding a guild.  Even WoW, if you take the best 75% of that community its as good as any other games best 75%. Its just that subset that trolls trade chat and act like complete asses in LFR are unbearable.

skyline385

Advanced Member

10/06/13 10:55:56 PM#25
Originally posted by Dkompoze

I came back after a year away for free2play and i have to disagree with you. The community on my server is very helpful. There are the few chat trolls but thats about it everyone seems to answer most peoples questions and joins up to help. Maybe its your server but i think your wrong the community was way worse at release than it is now because most of the elitist asshats moved on long ago.

EDIT----- after reading some other responses i see where this is going. This thread is wow troll bait.

It's the classic "Games went F2P, community goes bad" thread. My experience in Rift was good as well with friendly and helpful people. But then again, you look at the community here and then you wonder about the fact that there aren't many elitist asshats left in the game like you said and then it's obvious why they don't like it.

Darkholme

Tipster

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer..."

10/06/13 11:15:44 PM#26
I am not finding this to be the case at all. Yes there was an influx of asshats in chat initially after the F2P, but it's died off quite a bit now and things are back to normal pretty much... I think people just have an irrational fear of the supposed negative effects of F2P and look really hard for them so they can jump around excitedly and point to the saying, "look here! F2P made it TERRIBLE!!!1!1". Pretty much all MMOGs have terrible aspects of their community, including subscription based MMOGs. No one can honestly sit there with a straight face and tell me that WoW's community isn't one of the worst in the genre...

-------------------------
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

SirFubar

Novice Member

10/07/13 12:11:37 AM#27

Originally posted by Betaguy

Went back spent money on Patron, mounts and other items only to find out the community in this game is really bad and the mods just let stuff go and go.

You can thank the free to play syndrom for this.  It's why I don't play F2P games, well, and the fact they are free to play for a reason, just bad games. I prefer the subscription model, keeps a lot of the rift raft out.

Lol, people with their flawed logic... Tell me, how many sub games are still viable and don't have a bad community? Exactly, none. How can you really think that paying for a sub service will keeps the asshats out of the game when nearly every MMO since WoW showed us that asshats are everywhere, sub or not? Also calling F2P games bad games is just silly, sure most F2P MMO are bad, but some are better or on par with some triple A, just like in other genre. I know I will always prefer to try and maybe put some money into a F2P game that I may end up liking then throwing my money out on the new triple A game made by X just to be disappointed for the X time because it ends up being the same old stuff or something that sounded nice on paper but was really terrible in reality. Actually, I'm kinda glad that people who think like you do don't play F2P games, communities will only be better.

Originally posted by Darkholme
I am not finding this to be the case at all. Yes there was an influx of asshats in chat initially after the F2P, but it's died off quite a bit now and things are back to normal pretty much... I think people just have an irrational fear of the supposed negative effects of F2P and look really hard for them so they can jump around excitedly and point to the saying, "look here! F2P made it TERRIBLE!!!1!1". Pretty much all MMOGs have terrible aspects of their community, including subscription based MMOGs. No one can honestly sit there with a straight face and tell me that WoW's community isn't one of the worst in the genre...

Same here. Sure when a games goes F2P you will see an influx of asshats, but it usually doesn't last long. MMORPGs in general tend to have the worst communities ever (well, since WoW). Just look at EvE and how bad their community can be, just like WoW.

skyline385

Advanced Member

10/07/13 3:16:30 AM#28
Originally posted by SirFubar

Originally posted by Betaguy

Lol, people with their flawed logic... Tell me, how many sub games are still viable and don't have a bad community? Exactly, none. How can you really think that paying for a sub service will keeps the asshats out of the game when nearly every MMO since WoW showed us that asshats are everywhere, sub or not? Also calling F2P games bad games is just silly, sure most F2P MMO are bad, but some are better or on par with some triple A, just like in other genre. I know I will always prefer to try and maybe put some money into a F2P game that I may end up liking then throwing my money out on the new triple A game made by X just to be disappointed for the X time because it ends up being the same old stuff or something that sounded nice on paper but was really terrible in reality. Actually, I'm kinda glad that people who think like you do don't play F2P games, communities will only be better.

Originally posted by Darkholme

Same here. Sure when a games goes F2P you will see an influx of asshats, but it usually doesn't last long. MMORPGs in general tend to have the worst communities ever (well, since WoW). Just look at EvE and how bad their community can be, just like WoW.

Dude please, no logic allowed here.

Can't you see we are trying to prove F2P is bad here? F2P has ruined everything. if you ever wondered why the US government shut down, it's because of the damned F2P. If it wasn't for F2P, we would have been colonising Mars by now. There wouldn't be any Wars anywhere and we would all be living the perfect life if that system didn't exist.

JudgeUK

Hard Core Member

10/07/13 3:54:42 AM#29
Originally posted by Theocritus
The paying community is great Vs the free community sucks doesn't carry much weight after you have played WoW......

Maybe I was unlucky with my choice of ffxiv server, but the chat when I arrived at the Revenants Toll area (Revenants Troll?) was awful.

Not so much the "your momma is a ....." stuff, although some of that was there, but the abuse being hurled between the players. It was as bad as anything else I've experienced.

So, OP - I understand your position. I've gone back to a couple of ftp conversions and just turned chat off. As someone said, Tera seemed to be near continual sexual references.

But the garbage chat is there in ptp games as well, although probably not as bad due to the fact that players can lose their subscription money with a ban.

User Deleted
10/17/13 11:10:15 AM#30

I just started a new character to level up with a friend who's never played. And, wow, yeah, the community has really gone downhill. Chat is filled with trolls and general stupidity -- something I never really saw before.

I hate F2P. But at least most games that start out sub and go f2p are better than most games designed to be f2p. At least that's the case with TSW and Tera, and Rift seems to be decent so far.

Robokapp

Elite Member

The only luck I had today was to have you as my opponent.

10/17/13 6:27:57 PM#31

I just hit 54 and minus a big gear gap at the expansion breakpoint which made me need to bow out of a few runs, I had overall pleasant experiences.

I havent raided yet, but that's where I'm heading.

being the tank my quues are instant, my groups explain the fights when required and ... yeah. now that i bridged that gear gap i'm back on my way. to my surprise I have encountered many bosses starting in the 20s that actually have mechanics. not just decorative 'heal-through' stuff but real pass/fail mechanics. for 5man normal difficulty pve it almost reminds me of WoW back 'then'.

Jaedor

Advanced Member

10/17/13 6:38:29 PM#32

Originally posted by Datastar
The game went free to play and all the rift-raft came in with it. 

see what I did here ^

This. Join a guild, leave channels full of trolls, join channels of like-minded players, /ignore the trolls. Easy enough to workaround.

Sorry just realized this is an older thread. A lot of the really bad trolling died off with the spammers but it's still there, like in any other game. My main has the chat bug so it's quite peaceful. But I get an eyeful at times when I'm on my alts. I've also met a lot of nice folks new to the game and helped them out. So yeah, your experience may vary.

Xeonsoldier

Novice Member

10/19/13 4:35:48 PM#33
If you're talking about the in-game community, its fairly the same. However the forum community....I will tell you it has gotten a good deal worst.
2 Pages « 1 2 Search