Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,836,769 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,220,894
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » With all the platforms I may be forced into pc gaming.

6 posts found
  Battlerock

Apprentice Member

OP  7/01/13 5:28:55 PM#1

PS4, Xbox one, Ouya, now google is making a device, NVidia has its handheld coming soon, all the mobile platforms, don't want to forget Nintendo and of course the PC. First we had to many games in this flooded market, now we have to many platforms.

I was all set to let go of my pc and pic up a next gen console. I have done the first part, but as I research the new consoles and read about google, NVidia, Ouya...... I have finally started to think the pc is just the jack of all trades and it's the best bang for my buck.

If it were just the big 3 - PS4, Micro$oft, and PC platforms, I wouldn't have any problem just picking one (probably ps4) and sticking to it. I have actually been set on exiting pc gaming for a couple months now and just having a ps4.

The problem comes in the form of exclusive titles. How many exclusives will each of these systems have? It's an unknown I hadn't factored in until today. It's swung the pendulum of momentum in favor of pc gaming in my opinion. It's almost like in most cases, when "Exclusive" is mentioned, they "exclude" the fact that the title will also be released for pc.

With so many platform choices on the horizon, the "Jack of All Trades" that a pc is has just been further enhanced.

Anyone else that doesn't want multiple pieces of hardware sitting around put any thought into what kind of exclusives, google, ouya, NVidia... would produce ? Are these other platforms even a threat to stepping up and stealing a "must play" title from the pc world?

ElRenmazuo

Elite Member

7/01/13 5:33:18 PM#2
Im getting PS4 for final fantasy 15, Kingdom Hearts 3 and Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes and V.  And get Destiny and The Division.  Plus all the fighting games like Marvel vs. Capcom and Tekken series, Killer Instinct looks awsome.
  lizardbones

Elite Member

I've become dependent upon spell check. My apologies for stupid grammatical errors.

7/01/13 5:55:44 PM#3

PCs will give you the most bang for your buck in overall performance, especially if you like to tweak things. The consoles will in theory give you the most reliable experience, and will include some online stuff that you would normally do on a PC, like Youtube or Netflix.

If you can only get one, and will be doing stuff other than gaming, then definitely get a PC.

I'm considering getting a PS4 instead of upgrading my PC, because most of what I do on my PC is just gaming, and most of the games for the PS4 will be just fine for me. I'll still be able to watch videos and it will also double as the dvd/blue ray player hooked into the receiver, so it's kind of an overall good deal (for me).

I don't know that I'd get an Ouya or the Google gaming thing, at least not yet. You will be able to game, but the experience might be a little anemic depending on what you're expecting.

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

Quizzical

Guide

7/01/13 8:32:08 PM#4
If all that you care about is gaming performance per dollar without regard to software availability, then the PlayStation 4 is actually going to be remarkably good for a while.  If you're primarily looking for MMORPGs, then you'll have to go with a PC because that's where the games are, with only a handful of exceptions.
  rojoArcueid

Elite Member

"It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver". - Niccolo Machiavelli

7/01/13 8:38:10 PM#5
having a bunch of different systems is good in my opinion. But they need to focus on "killer-apps" exclusive to their system. If all the systems offer the same games, ill pick the one that runs it better.....*cough, PC* and the second one ill pick is where most of my other friends (taht dont own a gaming pc) play, if i like that system and the games it has.

My endgame begins with character creation and ends with a new mmorpg

Battlerock

Apprentice Member

OP  7/01/13 8:47:33 PM#6
Originally posted by Quizzical
If all that you care about is gaming performance per dollar without regard to software availability, then the PlayStation 4 is actually going to be remarkably good for a while.  If you're primarily looking for MMORPGs, then you'll have to go with a PC because that's where the games are, with only a handful of exceptions.

You have nailed it right here. The thing about mmorpg's on pc's though. I feel like the new stuff has been so much of a let down, I can't hardly get excited for the up and comers

Elder Scrolls Online

Wildstar

EQnext

even FF ARR

*not much else is on my radar and 2 of those 4 are  PS4 titles. Add in Destiny and The Division and it really looks like a no brainer but, I'm just a little skeptical about mmorpg community on consoles.

I don't doubt Destiny and The Division will make their way to PC, but how long will that take?

I think I can cross all the other platforms off the radar. They just don't have the developed games backing.

Thanks for the input everyone.