Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,774,116 Users Online:0
Games:720  Posts:6,188,014
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Wish there where more "Turn Based" mmorpg's

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
50 posts found
  maplestone

Novice Member

5/15/13 1:51:14 PM#21
Originally posted by botrytis
Sorry no. The reason being it is based on a dice roll (basically what it is) so no, I would rather use my skill to react than base it on luck of the dice roll.

I assume you talking about a specific game rather than turn-based play in general?  Because ... chess.

redcapp

Novice Member

5/15/13 1:52:49 PM#22
I agree.  I'm disappointed that Wakfu didn't end up being more successful. 
  BahamutKaiser

Novice Member

On hiatus for a while guys, MMOs still aren't interesting me.

5/15/13 2:19:27 PM#23
Simultaneous and timed turns are both working ways to reduce wait time, I prefer ATB but I think simultaneous turns offer an added measure of prediction, as certain actions can be done to counteract or combine actions as their acting.

I personally prefer ATB, with a complex and detailed system though, FFXII did a good job of showing programmable moves as a way to reduce tedium, while additional input could be done to adjust tactics and make clutch plays.

Beyond that, with timed turns, using a build up system so certain moves can be empowered or accessed once you withhold a turn can ensure that missed turns are not completely forfeit, and also has tactical use.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

darkhalf357x

Elite Member

I'm only playing the role chosen for me. Who you supposed to be?

5/15/13 2:38:20 PM#24
I would love a turn-based game having grown up with Final Fantasy (1 and up) and DragonQuest. But to be honest I feel the era is dead and the new 'thing' today is twitchy shallow action and then called an RPG. Kids today arent old enough to remember or appreciate the past and companies today are laser focused on profits to invest in a niche market. Not saying it cant happen but dont have high confidence.

Hell, I never understood why ChronoTrigger combat mechanics were NEVER duplicated. That was a fun mix of action and turn-based goodness.

To get my fix Im playing the Kemco RPGs for android. Not as good as the 16bit legends but good enough.

mmoski

Novice Member

5/15/13 2:52:06 PM#25

Yeah, its a shame theres very few turn based mmorpgs, I too have played dofus, wakfu, atlantis, while they are good. none really follow a western RPG approach, & plenty of single player turn based games are nice but can only last so long, what would be cool is a mmo similar to "Betrayal at krondor", man that brings back memories.

Keep an eye on my thread here http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/379479/MMOSRPG-concept.html , it may not be the Turn based RPG you guys are looking for, but you may find it fun, the client alpha/sim should be done in about a month or 2, so once its ready I'll be looking for some testers.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

5/15/13 3:12:25 PM#26
Originally posted by Vrika
Originally posted by nariusseldon
Originally posted by dave6660

No. I don't want to wait for the other guy (or guys) to make their move.

I love turned-based strategy or SRPG .. but strictly single player.

As long as both players are on a timer you're usually only waiting a few seconds.

Atlantica Online revived my interest in turn based RPG's.  It's the only F2P game that held my interest past the first couple days.  It's too bad that it's so blatantly pay to win.

Maybe one day SE will decide to make a Final Fantasy Tactics mmorpg.

If the game is strategically deep, a few seconds is not enough to make a good decision. So i don't want myself (and others) to be constrained. If the game is not deep, and have few strategic options, then i would much rather play another game.

It is a no-win.

Plus, if the game has a few players, then even 10 sec (not a long time) per players can add up.

Personally i don't see how such a game can be fun for me. I would much rather stick to SP turn base games.

It's possible to avoid the time adding up by giving everyone their turns simultaneously. The game can be built so that during turns game is paused, and nothing happens, players only give commands. Then after turn ends game gets unpaused, and every player's character follows commands given on previous turn. And at the beginning of next turn game gets paused again so that there's plenty of time to think your actions. Because everyone gives his commands at the same time, the waiting involved won't be a problem no matter how many players there are in a single battle.

This does help but the game moves at the slowest player.

And of course it eliminates the alternate turn type of gameplay, which offers different types of strategic considerations.

Fregatten

Novice Member

6/28/13 1:49:18 PM#27

Ehm, Heroes of Might & Magic is the king of turn-based combat, and it's going 'browser-based mmo'

Fingers crossed for this one...

http://www.heroes-online.com

nariusseldon

Elite Member

6/28/13 2:06:22 PM#28

I love turned base games (currently playing Warhammer Quest, and Xcom Enemy Unknown, which is one of the best games i have played).

But why do we need to make them MMO?

I don't think it adds anything to the fun. Just have a MP mode and a lobby. I don't think making turn based games into MMO will be fun. You don't want to wait for 100 others to finish their turn, do you?

botrytis

Advanced Member

6/28/13 2:10:10 PM#29
Originally posted by maplestone
Sorry no. The reason being it is based on a dice roll (basically what it is) so no, I would rather use my skill to react than base it on luck of the dice roll.

I assume you talking about a specific game rather than turn-based play in general?  Because ... chess.

I dislike the waiting since it is a immersion breaker for me. It is all not very realistic.

People keep saying they don't want to feel they are playing a game and then ask for something that will make it feel like a game.

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

maplestone

Novice Member

6/28/13 2:24:22 PM#30

I dislike the waiting since it is a immersion breaker for me. It is all not very realistic.

Makes sense as a reason to avoid such games.

( I sometimes find myself in games that have over a month between turns :) )

teeth

Apprentice Member

6/28/13 2:41:14 PM#31
Originally posted by darkhalf357x
I would love a turn-based game having grown up with Final Fantasy (1 and up) and DragonQuest. But to be honest I feel the era is dead and the new 'thing' today is twitchy shallow action and then called an RPG. Kids today arent old enough to remember or appreciate the past and companies today are laser focused on profits to invest in a niche market. Not saying it cant happen but dont have high confidence.

Hell, I never understood why ChronoTrigger combat mechanics were NEVER duplicated. That was a fun mix of action and turn-based goodness.

To get my fix Im playing the Kemco RPGs for android. Not as good as the 16bit legends but good enough.

You totally read my mind. I grew up with the same set of games and I feel a sense of loss over this style of game-play. These days, I play lots of twitch-based games, and have a lot of fun with them...but they just can't quite compare to the RPG's of the past. I'd love to see an MMORPG in the tune of Final Fantasy Tactics. Not necessarily made by Squenix, but definitely with a great rendition of the combat mechanics.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

6/28/13 9:02:34 PM#32
Originally posted by teeth

You totally read my mind. I grew up with the same set of games and I feel a sense of loss over this style of game-play. These days, I play lots of twitch-based games, and have a lot of fun with them...but they just can't quite compare to the RPG's of the past. I'd love to see an MMORPG in the tune of Final Fantasy Tactics. Not necessarily made by Squenix, but definitely with a great rendition of the combat mechanics.

Why don't you just play tactical RPG then? There is no reason you can't play one unless it is made into a MMO.

In fact, i see little reason to make a tactical RPG into a MMO. You can't do a turn-based game with hundreds (probably not even 10) of players playing at together at the same time.

VengeSunsoar

Advanced Member

Be Brief, Be Bright... Be Gone.

6/28/13 9:53:37 PM#33
I don't recall swg pre cu being turnbased. Queing up attacks is notturn based though turn based may do that too

Quit worrying about other players in a game and just play.

Loktofeit

Elite Member

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, Wildstar, and Combat Arms

6/28/13 10:29:32 PM#34

It's actually more strategic combat in some ways, as your goal is to both predict what the opponent is about to do while planning your own moves.

exdeathbr

Novice Member

6/29/13 6:43:47 AM#35
Originally posted by Drakynn

I'm fond of turn based RPGs which is why I'm looking forward to kickstarter projects like Wasteland 2 etc.

and I had fun with Atlantica Online as a turn based MMORPG for awhile till the cash shop wall hit.Though I ahte to see a MMORPG using turn based combat in large scale PvP or PvE raids with 20+ people.That would be tedious.

You could have some sort of simultaneous turn.

Game is real time, after  X seconds, the game is frozen and while the game is frozen (for Y seconds), you can select what to do. Then the game continue for X seconds and the char do what you told him to do, you can control your char while the game is not frozen too.

Quizzical

Guide

6/29/13 8:38:02 AM#36

Wizard 101 and Pirate 101 are also turn-based.

Bang Howdy is semi-turn-based, in that it's real-time combat in which each character can only move once every twenty seconds.

worldalpha

Novice Member

Working hard on WorldAlpha

6/29/13 8:45:48 AM#37
I get turn-based strategy.  Not sure how that translates for RPG though.

Thanks,
Mike
Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

madazz

Apprentice Member

6/29/13 10:25:15 AM#38
If Wakfu didn't get so darn grindy I'd probably still be playing it. Thinking about it now does make me want to load it up though. I wish there were more MMO's like it.
  teeth

Apprentice Member

7/01/13 3:50:45 PM#39
Originally posted by teeth

Why don't you just play tactical RPG then? There is no reason you can't play one unless it is made into a MMO.

In fact, i see little reason to make a tactical RPG into a MMO. You can't do a turn-based game with hundreds (probably not even 10) of players playing at together at the same time.

I do, and have played plenty of tactical RPG's, and I think you've missed the point. Re-read the OP and the thread...there are at least a few turn-based MMO's with, probably, hundreds to thousands of people playing at the same time. The big difference is that these types of games don't play out (with the same game mechanics) like WoW, DAoC, or most of the big names out there. If players are in parties and/or doing pvp, they all (usually) have a time-limit set for each player's turn to prevent griefing (sitting there, not taking turns). There are usually strict limits on party sizes (if any parties are allowed) and heavy uses of instancing, but it HAS been done...just not with a TRPG coat of paint (that I know of). If that's what you meant by "people playing together", then I somewhat agree. Things like raids and large-scale pvp would probably be difficult to pull off, though, I doubt impossible. To each his own.

teeth

Apprentice Member

7/01/13 3:56:21 PM#40
Originally posted by exdeathbr
Originally posted by Drakynn

I'm fond of turn based RPGs which is why I'm looking forward to kickstarter projects like Wasteland 2 etc.

and I had fun with Atlantica Online as a turn based MMORPG for awhile till the cash shop wall hit.Though I ahte to see a MMORPG using turn based combat in large scale PvP or PvE raids with 20+ people.That would be tedious.

You could have some sort of simultaneous turn.

Game is real time, after  X seconds, the game is frozen and while the game is frozen (for Y seconds), you can select what to do. Then the game continue for X seconds and the char do what you told him to do, you can control your char while the game is not frozen too.

I could kind of see something like ^this^ being done, too. Also, rather than each player taking their turns in sequential order, maybe each party/team member could possibly take their turns simultaneously, but all with the same time limit. Things like skill/ability/spell combos (amongst players) might have to be done at random, but the results could still be fun.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search