Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | Guild Wars 2 | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,645,703 Users Online:0
Games:686  Posts:6,083,093
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » A true compromise on 30 day subscriptions.

7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search
132 posts found
  OG_Zorvan

Apprentice Member

OP  5/09/13 2:07:44 PM#1

Here's my idea.

You buy a 30 day sub.

You login.

You have 30 "tokens" on your login/character screen.

You click the tokens and one is used.

You now have 24 hours to play with that one token, logging in/out as many times as need throughout that 24 hours.

Can't play tomorrow? No prob, your remaining 29 days are waiting for whenever you want to use them.

At $15 per 30days of tokens, you are spending $.50 for each 24 hour block.

You get all the benefits of the subscription, without feeling you've "lost" your money by only playing a few hours a week.

EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

WhiteLantern

Novice Member

5/09/13 2:09:42 PM#2
Sign me up.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

OG_Zorvan

Apprentice Member

OP  5/09/13 2:22:52 PM#3
Well, I figure the biggest reason people, especially casual players, give for preferring "F2P" to subs is not having time to get a good enough return on their $15 investment. So I figured this would be a great compromise for that. It changes nothing for the player who plays every day of the month ( still paying that $15 a month for access to everything ) while making things more palatable for those who only have time to play a few hours a day or only on weekends, or whatever.

EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

silvermember

Novice Member

5/09/13 2:31:07 PM#4

how is that different from a sub? 

The reason F2p and b2p exist is because a lot of players believe most MMO are not worth a sub. What you are suggesting is simply fixing a symptom of a much bigger problem. It still doesn't change the fact that I have to buy the game and keep paying money for it. The most important thing for me, is that if I don't feel playing I lose access to my character, while in other models I can still reasonably play with no issues.

Also your token model, sucks because that means people will feel the need to play in other to maximize their tokens, but I suppose that is more of a personal problem.

added: with your model, i still have to buy game+ pay sub or token+pay expansion. how it is any different from having to buy game+pay sub+ expansion? Ultimately, your suggestion doesn't really fix anything or offer any suggestions that will benefit the majority of MMORPG which is not the same as the population that post on forums like these. All it does is make people that stupidly think a sub AUTOMATICALLY makes a game better or people that have an irrational hatred of f2p, happy.

td;dr

You suggestion doesn't fix or even understand the reason sub games are not popular and it is simply most MMORPG are not worth their subs. 

OG_Zorvan

Apprentice Member

OP  5/09/13 2:40:05 PM#5
Originally posted by silvermember

how is that different from a sub? 

The reason F2p and b2p exist is because a lot of players believe most MMO are not worth a sub. What you are suggesting is simply fixing a symptom of a much bigger problem. It still doesn't change the fact that I have to buy the game and keep paying money for it. The most important thing for me, is that if I don't feel playing I lose access to my character, while in other models I can still reasonably play with no issues.

Also your token model, sucks because that means people will feel the need to play in other to maximize their tokens, but I suppose that is more of a personal problem.

What the hell are you talking about? Those tokens never expire, you paid for them. You don't feel like playing, you haven't lost anything because THE TOKENS/TIME IS STILL THERE FOR WHEN YOU DO FEEL LIKE PLAYING. You haven't "lost access" to anything.

td;dr

You suggestion doesn't fix or even understand the reason sub games are not popular and it is simply most MMORPG are not worth their subs. 

Every mmo has a beta and a free trial. If you end up paying for a game that "isn't worth a sub" to you, that's your fault.

All you've said is you don't like paying money for things that cost money. You haven't invalidated anything I said or proven my idea "sucks" in any way.

bubaluba

Novice Member

5/09/13 2:42:30 PM#6
Awesome idea :)
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

5/09/13 2:45:57 PM#7
Yes that would be great.

Pay per day

Let's you play a few mmos at once too, everyone's a winner.
  Aelious

Advanced Member

World > Quest Progression

5/09/13 2:48:12 PM#8
Great idea and I just got that iconic collect call message "please insert two dollars to continue this call" hehe.

I do believe that there would still be a cash shop tied in but anything that gives people flexibility while allowing the devs to keep the lights on works. You could even trade them like PLEX and Khrono
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

5/09/13 2:49:29 PM#9
Silver
Because there's not one mmo to rule them all.

With this proposed system.

I could play a mmo that's good at pvp 4 days a week
And a mmo that's good at pve 1 or 2 days a week.

With a sub I'm not going to pay a sub for a game I only play once a month.

With a cash shop setup I keep getting oined to buy shit that I need to play like bags or whatever.

Ops idea is really bloody good I like it.
  Zeymere

Advanced Member

No...
Not without incident.

5/09/13 2:53:14 PM#10

At first I agree, this sounds like an awesome Idea.  But...

Most games are moving towards things happening while you are gone/not playing, like auctions, sending your people out while you are away, EVE lets you skill up in Real Time.  I am sure there are more issues like this.  Any thoughts on how those would be handled?

Z.

Seelinnikoi

Advanced Member

5/09/13 2:57:18 PM#11

How about 60 tokens per 15 bucks?

Each token 12 hours, because very few people would spend all that 24 hour tokens :P

monstermmo

Apprentice Member

5/09/13 2:58:37 PM#12
Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

Here's my idea.

You buy a 30 day sub.

You login.

You have 30 "tokens" on your login/character screen.

You click the tokens and one is used.

You now have 24 hours to play with that one token, logging in/out as many times as need throughout that 24 hours.

Can't play tomorrow? No prob, your remaining 29 days are waiting for whenever you want to use them.

At $15 per 30days of tokens, you are spending $.50 for each 24 hour block.

You get all the benefits of the subscription, without feeling you've "lost" your money by only playing a few hours a week.

Excellent idea!

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
Join me on Raptr Steam Facebook Twitter Gameverse

Sevenstar61

Hard Core Member

"But it was so artistically done..." - Grand Admiral Thrawn's final words

5/09/13 3:05:22 PM#13

I like it.  It means though less money for companies from subscribers who would sub anyway, but it would bring most likely more people to games. Cash shop would have to be probably a must though as there is a lot of uncertainty how much money companies would be able to earn.

Overall good idea though.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Sulaa

Novice Member

5/09/13 3:07:07 PM#14

Idea is not bad (althrough I can already see way to exploit it) but I don't think game companies would want to sell 30 day-passes for 15$.   If you would be ready to pay 25-30$ then I think companies may actually start to consider agreeing to it.

I personally would like a system that combine those:

1. 30-day for X price

2. 30 x 24h for 2X price

or something like that.  Maybe even being able to convert those both ways.

Althrough  - I personally won't play any subsciption game with any microtransactions (even vanity ones).  I am done with playing sub + microtransaction games, even if that mean I am done with playing mmorpg's.

Shadowguy64

Novice Member

5/09/13 3:09:21 PM#15

Would you pay more if the tokens were broken down unto smaller time lots? so instead of 30 24 hours tokens for $15, how about 60 12-hour tokens for $20 or 120 6-hour tokens for $25?

You pay a premium, but "waste" less time with the smaller tokens.

Tierless

Advanced Member

joie de vivre

5/09/13 3:09:58 PM#16

I like it, bump!

mmorpg.com/blogs/Xobdnas

monstermmo

Apprentice Member

5/09/13 3:10:27 PM#17
Originally posted by Sulaa

Idea is not bad (althrough I can already see way to exploit it) but I don't think game companies would want to sell 30 day-passes for 15$.   If you would be ready to pay 25-30$ then I think companies may actually start to consider agreeing to it.

1. 30-day for X price

2. 30 x 24h for 2X price

Althrough  - I personally won't play any subsciption game with any microtransactions (even vanity ones). 

Some of you seem to be completely missing the point.

If i had to pay $25-$30 for 30 days in this form then i would simply pay the normal $15 for the regular way it's done.

With the OP's idea i would definitely be more inclined to subscribe to games that i want to play casually.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.

Sulaa

Novice Member

5/09/13 3:12:43 PM#18
Originally posted by monstermmo
Originally posted by Sulaa

1. 30-day for X price

2. 30 x 24h for 2X price

Althrough  - I personally won't play any subsciption game with any microtransactions (even vanity ones). 

Some of you seem to be completely missing the point.

If i had to pay $25-$30 for 30 days in this form then i would simply pay the normal $15 for the regular way it's done.

With the OP's idea i would definitely be more inclined to subscribe to games that i want to play casually.

I am not missing the point. I know what you mean.  I just have an opinion that game companies won't sell what you want for price that you want., because that mean less money for them.

They will simply either go normal 30 day sub or / and Cash Shop / f2p model, instead of even considering decreasing their revenue with OP proposal at 15$ price.

monstermmo

Apprentice Member

5/09/13 3:17:11 PM#19

Let me put it to you this way. I quit WoW after 6 years of loving it. I've returned a few times over a couple years to see new content and stuff but i don't want to play it enough to pay the subscription fee so i simply do not play it.

With this idea i actually would play the game. I may be able to use that time over a four month period if i wanted to, it would keep me playing and paying rather than not playing or paying a single cent which is what's happening now. They would not be losing money.

It's a really excellent idea and i would probably for the first time "subscribe" to multiple games under this kind of payment option.

Sulaa

Novice Member

5/09/13 3:42:16 PM#20
Originally posted by monstermmo

Let me put it to you this way. I quit WoW after 6 years of loving it. I've returned a few times over a couple years to see new content and stuff but i don't want to play it enough to pay the subscription fee so i simply do not play it.

With this idea i actually would play the game. I may be able to use that time over a four month period if i wanted to, it would keep me playing and paying rather than not playing or paying a single cent which is what's happening now. They would not be losing money.

It's a really excellent idea and i would probably for the first time "subscribe" to multiple games under this kind of payment option.

Yes, but I don't think game companies care about that.  Unless market would very badly crash - I don't think companies would agree to sell 30x24h for 15$.   If they would think they need more flexible model then they would go f2p or freemium or other microtransaction model instead of OP proposal for price OP suggest.

I say that as a person that pferer P2P model myself.

7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search